The Ultimate Mafia, 8.0 [GAME-OVER]

I_Make_Big_Boom

All right. There's a high risk of many people dying before they can use their ability, so I do favor an earlier unlocking of them. If we have to delay some, then I think it should be this way:

Detective - Round 5. Decently far into the game, at a stage where this power would be needed, but not so early that he could force the Mafia into a very debilitating bad start.

Sniper - Round 3. The Sniper can only do anything once every 3 rounds, since this is in place of his normal shooting. And he's probably dead before Round 6 unless he gets help somehow. So this is a good way to ensure he can use it.

Judge - Round 2. Doesn't make much difference when he uses this one, so I think Round 2 is fine. I'm only against Round 1 use of ultimates, since that's wasteful and blind use of them. Round 2 can be blind as well, but it's up to them when to use their ultimates so it should be fine.

Juggernaut - Round 4. He won't be that hard to discover anyway so he should be decently ready. He does have to lay low until then if he wants to live though, so it balances out.

Hacker - Round 6. This is by far the most dangerous ability I've seen here. Especially since the rules saying you can't aid the other faction mean the victim is truly bound to the Mafia and can't pull any double agent stunts. Round 6 is late enough in the game that the Mafia would probably need this, and seeing as it's the most dangerous ability, I think it should be last.

• Like 1

All right. There's a high risk of many people dying before they can use their ability, so I do favor an earlier unlocking of them. If we have to delay some, then I think it should be this way:

Detective - Round 5. Decently far into the game, at a stage where this power would be needed, but not so early that he could force the Mafia into a very debilitating bad start.

Sniper - Round 3. The Sniper can only do anything once every 3 rounds, since this is in place of his normal shooting. And he's probably dead before Round 6 unless he gets help somehow. So this is a good way to ensure he can use it.

Judge - Round 2. Doesn't make much difference when he uses this one, so I think Round 2 is fine. I'm only against Round 1 use of ultimates, since that's wasteful and blind use of them. Round 2 can be blind as well, but it's up to them when to use their ultimates so it should be fine.

Juggernaut - Round 4. He won't be that hard to discover anyway so he should be decently ready. He does have to lay low until then if he wants to live though, so it balances out.

Hacker - Round 6. This is by far the most dangerous ability I've seen here. Especially since the rules saying you can't aid the other faction mean the victim is truly bound to the Mafia and can't pull any double agent stunts. Round 6 is late enough in the game that the Mafia would probably need this, and seeing as it's the most dangerous ability, I think it should be last.

Sounds good.

If anyone objects to this list then feel free to voice it. If not I'll change the Ultimate Abilities to be unlocked according to Axilus' list.

• Like 1

Sounds good.

If anyone objects to this list then feel free to voice it. If not I'll change the Ultimate Abilities to be unlocked according to Axilus' list.

I don't object to the Rounds but I do object to the Snipers power.

• Like 1

I don't have any problem with the Sniper's power. But if we need alternate ideas for it, here are some.

Explosive Round - Unlocks at Round 6 due to its great power and lack of risk or cost. Allows the Sniper to kill two people at once. From a scene perspective, one by penetration and the other by explosion.

Crippling Shot - Unlocks at Round 3 due to the high probability of this failing to do anything. This shot will, instead of killing, permanently remove the regular AND ultimate abilities of whoever it strikes. Obviously it's hard to actually strike someone who has an ability, so this can be utterly wasted.

Beam Rifle - Unlocks at Round 3 because despite its immense power, it has a great and permanent cost. Sniper trades in his Sniper Rifle for a Beam Rifle with enough ammo for 3 shots. He can kill THREE targets at once, but loses the ability to shoot anyone for the rest of the game because no one figured out how to recharge Covenant weaponry.

• Like 2

Offbeat has only 1,000,000,000 threads, so I think adding just 1 more thread won't hurt.

'It's already trashed' isn't justification to trash something more.

And it's honestly just annoying you have to move to an entirely new thread. There's no point, and all it serves to do is make a hassle as people have to figure out if the game has started yet and go around searching for an all new thread.

'It's already trashed' isn't justification to trash something more.

And it's honestly just annoying you have to move to an entirely new thread. There's no point, and all it serves to do is make a hassle as people have to figure out if the game has started yet and go around searching for an all new thread.

Not really. There's usually a link at the start of the threads between the Sign-up thread, and the main page.

+ I already said I might just rename and make this thread into the Main thread.

The best thing that could happen is for there to be a separate "Forum Games" tab. That's obviously not going to happen soon, so we're stuck with Offbeat. There just happens to be a TON of threads in Offbeat (which we can't remove), and adding another one isn't going to affect anything anyway.

You are really bent on getting rid of these things, aren't you?

I feel that Ultimate Abilities are an integral part of Mafia 8.0. While they do have a big implementation... it is possible for them to be removed. That's extreme though. You would want a regular Mafia game then.

So I'd rather not remove them. That can change if enough people want them gone.

Edited by Elf Destruct
  • Like 1

How about we just leave them unlocked all the time? Fear that everyone will use their ultimate at one is not a big deal. If they do it, then that's their problem. I assume this is just an assumption. I'm pretty sure everyone would use their Ultimate wisely, not mad bash it. Restricting it would just give them a less chance of using it.

How about we just leave them unlocked all the time? Fear that everyone will use their ultimate at one is not a big deal. If they do it, then that's their problem. I assume this is just an assumption. I'm pretty sure everyone would use their Ultimate wisely, not mad bash it. Restricting it would just give them a less chance of using it.

Sounds like a good counter-argument, but leaving no restrictions for the Ultimates I feel would be handing someone a gun with the barrel pointed straight at them, and the safety off.

And I'm sure the chance that they'll use the Ability would still be the same. They help out too much just to throw away.

I need to do a poll.

Then they can investigate every other scene.

Exactly. Most of the other roles have to wait before they can do anything again. You would be giving Protown a good upperhand. 

Edited by Elf Destruct

people have to figure out if the game has started yet and go around searching for an all new thread.

It sounds like youre the only person that has this issue. Mods can always delete/lock threads if you dislike the "clutter" 

Sign me up. Any number is fine.  

Regarding the Hacker's ultimate

Can the Mafians decide NOT to add the "new" Mafian to the PM? This could be extremely useful if lets say.

A neutral tells a mafian who the detective is investigating next.(and the Hacker has their ultimate ready) so they use it on this same person that is being investigated. Then the detective thinks they investigated an actual Mafian, but in reality the Mafians never added this new guy to the PM list(but he is still told by the host that they are now a Mafian) so the Mafians can now use the new guy to commit a murder and have them on the suspect list. That way they basically get a free kill since no main Mafian is suspected.

I mean it is a "brainwash" after all. Mafians should be able to dictate how they go about using this newbie.

• Like 1

It sounds like youre the only person that has this issue. Mods can always delete/lock threads if you dislike the "clutter" 

Sign me up. Any number is fine.  

Regarding the Hacker's ultimate

Can the Mafians decide NOT to add the "new" Mafian to the PM? This could be extremely useful if lets say.

A neutral tells a mafian who the detective is investigating next.(and the Hacker has their ultimate ready) so they use it on this same person that is being investigated. Then the detective thinks they investigated an actual Mafian, but in reality the Mafians never added this new guy to the PM list(but he is still told by the host that they are now a Mafian) so the Mafians can now use the new guy to commit a murder and have them on the suspect list. That way they basically get a free kill since no main Mafian is suspected.

I mean it is a "brainwash" after all. Mafians should be able to dictate how they go about using this newbie.

You mean like a Proxy, or Pawn?

I like the idea.

But I already have it set as the Host RNGing a random Civilian (who hasn't been investigated) to become the new Mafian. You're saying the Hacker should choose who they want firsthand instead of an RNG?

Woo woo co-host :3

Also I do have a problem with the brainwash. What if they brainwash the detective or someone like that?

They can't do that. I have it set as a random Civilian. A request to brainwash a special role will be denied.

• Like 1

You are really bent on getting rid of these things, aren't you?

I feel that Ultimate Abilities are an integral part of Mafia 8.0. While they do have a big implementation... it is possible for them to be removed. That's extreme though. You would want a regular Mafia game then.

So I'd rather not remove them. That can change if enough people want them gone.

I have no other problem with them but the Sniper's Ultimate power. I dont think they should know who they are shooting at.

I have no other problem with them but the Sniper's Ultimate power. I dont think they should know who they are shooting at.

It's just 1 person. I don't think that would be much of a problem. Not to mention the Detective could tell a few people who they investigated: including the Sniper.