MCC Predownloading, Release Date changes, Spartan Ops delay, and other details

SsDnXsd.jpg

Today, Dan Ayoub on Xbox Wire revealed a ton of details for the Master Chief Collection.

1: Today, Friday October 17th, EVERYONE will be able to pre-download the Master Chief Collection. This is due to the game going Gold (final stages of production). Pre-purchasing on Xbox.com also gives you a bonus "Boom" Skull, though I don't know what it's attributes are.

2: Halo: The Master Chief Collection will now be released on November 11th for most areas around the world. This means the majority of Europe will now receive the MCC on the 11th, and not the 14th.

There are some exceptions to this. Belgium's release is on November 12, France is on November 14, and Japan on November 13. 

3: The MCC will initially need 45GBs of download space. Then on Day 1 everyone will need to download a content update that is estimated to be 20GBs.

Some features like Multiplayer won't be playable until the Day 1 update is downloaded, though it is unknown if this pertains to you being able to play the game on Xbox Live, or to the MP as a whole being unplayable even offline.

Dan Ayoub stated the reasoning for the large update on Xbox Wire, "From the start, our philosophy has been to give Halo fans the best possible experience and not compromise the quality or features of the collection.  The result is that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will take up almost all of the usable space of a single Blu-ray (45 GB), and we will also issue a content update at launch that is estimated to be 20 GB.  You’ll be able to start playing Campaign and more as the content is installing, with some features and multiplayer content being added via the update.

"Yes, the update is large, but we weren’t about to cut corners to save disc space. This ensures that you are getting every bit of Halo goodness we can fit in."

4: Spartan Ops will not be initially available in the Master Chief Collection due to 343 making some "technical enhancements to that experience". All 10 Episodes of Spartan Ops will release on the same day in December (though the exact date is unclear).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thoughts?

Sources: Xbox Wire, Gamespot, Xbox.com

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/games-halo-gone-gold-announcement

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Halo-The-Master-Chief-Collection-with-Pre-Purchase-Bonus-Boom-Skull/faa8fe34-7592-461d-8d0f-f26c10f2a3fe?cid=majornelson

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-master-chief-collection-day-one-patch-weighs-/1100-6423021/

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

I am so happy that I'm able to get it on the 11th of November! I never really understood why the rest of the world would get it later... Feel sorry for those still left out.

I'm not pre-downloading it though. It's very attractive to be able to play right from the get-go without going to a retailer first, but I'm getting 2 skulls for my pre-order there! :hrhr:

Great article!

(promoted it for you ;) )

• Like 2

Wait, what's pre-downloading? Does it mean the game can be played early?

No. Starting today, you will be able to pre-download the game (assumingly after you pre-order, or purchase it). After you finish downloading the data will pretty much sit idle until November 11th: you will not be able to play the game until then. Then on the 11th the game will be unlocked, and you will be able to play the game (but a Day 1 20GB patch will need to be downloaded first).

The reasoning behind this is to give people the chance to download the game early so they don't have to wait and download it on launch day. They essentially get the game the second it comes out instead of starting to download the game on the 11th.

Also the game is a whopping 45GBs, and letting everyone download the game at Launch will probably put a strain on the servers (though there is still allot of people who will download on Day 1, but I'm thinking not as much as the other reality where Pre-Downloading doesn't exist).

Edited by Hell Verruckt
  • Like 1

Woah, that's a lot to download. I'll probably buy the retail copy and just update and stuffs then. :P  

First. :P

I'll be doing the same. Not entirely impressed at the 20gb update seeing as how I live in a rural area and the best internet around is only 2mbps download and 1mbps upload. enough to game on lag free with nobody else using internet but makes for painfully slow downloads. that update is gona take me like 20hours ffs -.- . so much for playing on launch day :,( , but i suppose it's better than releasing a buggy game or a game that's missing content. 

^

The reason for it was because otherwise 343 would have to ship on two disks. :)

And who wants that, what a pain it will be to have to keep swapping disks.

I wouldn't really call it a pain just that some people don't have the patience to swap discs. I've done it plenty of times with LA Noire and Battlefield 3.

As for the 20GB update, that is a really hard blow to a lot of people, me included. Everyone is expected to download the update but not everyone can do that. All of us on limited internet data allowance will have to spread this update out over a long time e.g downloading 2GB a week. And that leaves me with a ten week update. Thank you 343, thank you....

Dude. 20GB. Holy crap.

I would REALLY prefer to have 2 disks than 20GB on my HDD taken up by ONE GAME. Well, technically four games, but seriously though.

Heck, I wouldn't mind it being four disks. One for each game. Then I can just plug in whichever game I want to play and call it good.

Heck, I wouldn't mind it being four disks. One for each game. Then I can just plug in whichever game I want to play and call it good.

But that would mean not having that awesome UI thing where you can select which Halo to play on screen! All the greatness laid out before you.

That could be made up for with a really cool case that has an awesome CD-Flipper thing.

Also, since when did awesome = more menus?

1 Disc = Seamless experience with all games. No disc changing.

2 Discs = 1 to play the games, and 1 for downloading all the stuff. You could throw away/never use the 2nd disc again after downloading the content: exactly like Halo 4. I don't know why 343i didn't do this.

4 Discs = Constantly having to transfer discs to play each game. I had Wolfenstein: The New Order for 360, and it came with 4 discs. For Campaign. You do not know how annoyed I was having to constantly switch those discs.

Edited by Turkey Destruct

1 Disc = Seamless experience with all games. No disc changing.

2 Discs = 1 to play the games, and 1 for downloading all the stuff. You could throw away/never use the 2nd disc again after downloading the content: exactly like Halo 4. I don't know why 343i didn't do this.

4 Discs = Constantly having to transfer discs to play each game. I had Wolfenstein: The New Order for 360, and it came with 4 discs. For Campaign. You do not know how annoyed I was having to constantly switch those discs.

Sure, if it's only one game. 4 games on one disc generally leads to loading screen after loading screen and having to circumvent at least two menu screens.

Not to mention that each game is easily a day or two of play, even hardcore play, each. Which means you wouldn't be doing nearly that much disk swapping.

Not to mention a 20 GB predownload, apparently.

Dude. 20GB. Holy crap.

I would REALLY prefer to have 2 disks than 20GB on my HDD taken up by ONE GAME. Well, technically four games, but seriously though.

Whether it was on a disk or in an update you would have to install it to the HDD regardless.