Bands 'n Stuff

I_Make_Big_Boom

Here's a querky idea: post either your favorite Band, or a Band which you think has influenced you the most. Be it them giving you inspiration, sparking interest in other Genres, being a gateway Band to your actual favorite Bands and etc. Give me the full story.

I'll start.

I listen to a multitude of Bands, but in the beginning my list was extremely small. I didn't really listen to Metal that much throughout the 2000s (or I don't remember any). I do remember listening to the Mjolnor Mix ALLOT but that's besides the point.

When I was younger I listened to songs like Move Along by All American Rejects (I got that song specifically from a Bionicle commercial. The one with Piraka), or some One Republic songs. Maybe a hint of Eminem.

THEN it struck me. One day I was in my Mom's room watching MTV (when they actually showed Music Videos) and the video for Disturbed's The Night came on. It was like a freight train to my consciousness. I couldn't get the song out my head lol. I would try to go there every day in hopes the song would come on.

Here's the music video for the song I credit most to opening Metal to me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBv9TUQUDy0

Eventually MTV opened the doorway to songs like Sulfur by Slipknot, Sound of Madness by Shinedown, I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace, and Fade by Staind. It was the beginning of a revolution for my musical taste.

As time went on Disturbed became my favorite band. At one time I had ALL the songs from their 5 albums. I personally owned 3 of their Albums (Ten Thousand Fists, Indestructible, and Asylum). I was present when the original commercials for Asylum came on... and I was blown away.

But then it began to fade. Disturbed was a gateway band to me. I craved for heavier and heavier music, and Disturbed failed to deliver that (though Down With The Sickness, and Stupify were pretty heavy). I began listening to bands like Lamb of God, Godsmack, and Slipknot to a further extent (though like most people the deep growls peeved me a bit, but I grew to like it). It progressed to me beginning to listen to heavier and heavier music. Disturbed began to lose it's place.

Fast forward to today. My Band list numbers 20+, and it's growing. I've listened to the heaviest crap you'll ever hear and I absolutely love it. It's hard to believe I once hated Metal. I now actively listen to bands like Meshuggah, Strapping Young Lad, Gojira, Chimaira, Opeth and more.

Heres the sad part... I basically had a falling out with Disturbed. I no longer own all the songs, and I gave the albums to my friend. I do have a few songs I still like (The Night will always be with me). I listened to their songs to death over the years, and it's hard to listen to most of their material now without getting bored.

I'm still interested in what Disturbed has in store for their 6th album. Even though it doesn't have as large as a place with me like it used to I still hold it closely as one of, if not THE Band that peaked my interest in Metal.

That's it for me. I'm interested in what you people got to share. ;)

Edited by Self Destruct
  • Like 3

I enjoy an ample variety of music genres: Rock, Metal, Reggae, Pop, Rap, Latin, Etc... i was born in 1977 and i had (R.I.P. Roberto) a brother that was 7 years older than me, growing up in the 80's he had a lot of friends over to the house and i would always be the little annoying brother pestering them nonstop, lol.

The thing i always remember sticking out to me was the music they would listen to, 80's Electronica and New Wave (GOD I FEEL ANCIENT, LOL) bands like The Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Erasure, Softcell, Etc... but the band that instantly struck me was Depeche Mode, i was hooked from the very beginning and thankfully my brother had a thing for them too so i got to listen to all of their newest stuff while growing up thanks to my Bro, he would let me use his stereo to record mix tapes so i could share with my friends.

Some of the best memories i have of my brother are of him and I riding in the car acting stupid and singing along to Depeche Mode songs. My brother commited suicide in 2004, he was 34 years old and to this day whenever i listen to Depeche Mode or some of his favorite 80's songs i feel a little nostalgic and wish i would have gotten a chance to tell him how much he meant to me and how proud i was of him for being such a strong influence in my life, little did he know that i would become the responsible adult i am today due to the fact that at the time of his passing i was going through a lot personal issues that didn't really give my family faith in me ever becoming a responsible GROWN UP.

Well enough of that depressing stuff!!!!

The fact is i love Depeche Mode because even after 34 years together they still find ways to reinvent themselves, they still fill stadiums and concert venues around the world and they still keep releasing quality albums that millions of people around the world enjoy, myself included obviously, lol.

Here's a couple of videos for those that aren't familiar with DM's music:

Depeche Mode - Live In Barcelona (2010 Tour of the Universe) Full concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHQNrku0RQ

Depeche Mode - Best of Live in Concert 1988-2009

Enjoy!!!!!

• Like 2

Hmm, bands. I like a few different genres of music, and I love music in general. I don't have one favourite band, but I can name a few that have made a good song or two that I've heard before.

Evanescene - Bring Me Back To Life

Guns 'N' Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War

Muse - Super Massive Black Hole

Linkin Park - Faint

These are just a few bands and songs. For other music genres besides (English) Rock, I like: J-Pop/Rock, Dubstep, Drumstep, Rap, Epic Music. A bit of hip hop can be alright sometimes.

• Like 1