How much can Microsoft milk it?

Ok so after watching several commercials dealing with the new Windows phone I have to wonder, how much more can Microsoft milk Halo for? The AI on the new Windows phone is called Cortana. Seriously, isn't this a step too far? You already have books, comics, anime, live action mini series and not to mention games.

This is getting a bit too much for me. What do you all think?

Ok so after watching several commercials dealing with the new Windows phone I have to wonder, how much more can Microsoft milk Halo for? The AI on the new Windows phone is called Cortana. Seriously, isn't this a step too far? You already have books, comics, anime, live action mini series and not to mention games.

Microsoft makes Cortana it's Siri to give fan service, and people are complaining? *sigh* the gaming community has really gone downhill.

There's zero milking being done here, if Apple can make Siri, then Microsoft can make an service similar for its phones too. Why not have Cortana, a well known and widely popular fan favorite character, in their as the voice? It's call good marketing, not milking.

I like the fact that Windows phones now have a feature that can rival Apple's iPhone. I LOVE the fact that the feature happens to be Cortana from Halo.

To answer your original question though, Microsoft can milk Halo as long as Halo stands as a franchise- and they should.

If you have a cow, milk it. If you have Halo, milk it.

• Like 2

Omega it is pure milking. You really should hear some of the responses Cortana gives from this phone. They are filled with Halo references. Pure milking.

@BZ I find that putting in a service like they have is just fine, but honestly call it something else. Be original again.

Omega it is pure milking. You really should hear some of the responses Cortana gives from this phone. They are filled with Halo references. Pure milking.

@BZ I find that putting in a service like they have is just fine, but honestly call it something else. Be original again.

Filling a CORTANA voice app with HALO references is great! That's what they should be doing! It's fan service.

The point Omega is: when is it enough?

Where is the line drawn in the sand where they should stop?

Riding something into the ground is never good business strategy.

It isn't riding anything into the ground. It's a phone app, that's it. It's a little voice that gives you directions and stuff, it's not 343i or Microsoft doing anything with the license of Halo itself, this project isn't in relation to Halo AT ALL besides it being Cortana.

Prrroooooooooooobably as much as Nintendo milks Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon games.

And as much as Sony milks Uncharted, God of War, and Gran Turismo.

• Like 4

Milking exists as long as popularity exists, so Halo is far from the only thing accused of that crime... They do it with Movies, Shows, Music, it's a never ending phenomenon called "PROFIT".

Have fun fixing the Human race if you want milking out of existence for Halo, and just about anything else.

Edited by rrhuntington
  • Like 2

Me personally, I think they SHOULD milk it, I don't ever want the Halo series to end (as you can probably tell from my username) although it will have to eventually :(. I think that now that it's got something to beat the iPhone's smart A.I. it could be even better than the iPhone. I actually would prefer to get a Windows Phone over an iPhone any day, mainly because I'm prone to get Microsoft products over anyone else's because I'm a big fan of most of their products :).

So...you want the amount of Halo stuff they give us to get lower?

8u2b.jpg

• Like 1

So. Let me get this straight. You are upset with them naming the smart companion app Cortana?

Wow. 

Why not? 

They are watering down the franchise with all this crap. Halo has already had enough damage done to it by the fans when Halo 4 was released. Watering it down with stuff like this, to me at least, is spoiling the name even further. Flooding the market with crap like this, among other ideas, degrades the title for me. 

Would you rather have a Aventador LP 700-4 or a VW Beetle? Sure the Beetle is a decent car but it is nothing special. It is mass produced and everywhere. No real sense of excitement with it. No feeling of being unique. 

That is what I am getting at here. It bothers me that it is being milked this hard. Get it?

Milking exists as long as popularity exists, so Halo is far from the only thing accused of that crime... They do it with Movies, Shows, Music, it's a never ending phenomenon called "PROFIT".

Have fun fixing the Human race if you want milking out of existence for Halo, and just about anything else.

Fixing the human species isnt going to happen. We are doomed already and nothing I do will change that. People screw things up constantly, good things too. 

I am all for profit, but when you turn your product in to meaningless grey sludge nobody will want to buy it. This is another step down that road, one I wish was never taken. 

So...you want the amount of Halo stuff they give us to get lower?

Absolutely. As I said above, watering down a product is not something I wish to see. I know I am in the minority on this but it is my opinion. There is such a thing as going too far. 

By your logic they should produce an infants show staring Master Chief and the Arbiter plus friends which is based off of the same ideas in My Little Pony. Should it exist? Nope. Oh but wait it is Halo there for we should make it. 

Lines should be drawn and this is where I drew mine.