My Forge History

Zandril

The first time I ever went into Forge mode was in Halo Reach. But this wasn't to make a competitive map or flood map. No, I was inspired by Roosterteeth's HORSE series to make a HORSE map. Basically obstacle courses.

I don't really have pictures of these but I can tell you that I made two obstacle courses in Halo Reach before leaving forge (temporarily) and going back to Reach Matchmaking (I was in a competitive clan and everything. Pretty lame, actually clear.png).

When Halo 4 came along, I started forging again. But did I make competitive maps or flood maps right out the bat? Still no. I still stuck to forging HORSE maps because that's all I really knew.

I think I made a total of 5 HORSE maps (that actually got into some episodesclear.png) before beginning my time as a competitive map forger.

What made me start forging competitive maps? I was playing some 1v1s with a friend of mine on Halo 4. We both complained that the maps were getting old and boring and that we should find new ones to keep things fresh.

So, I downloaded some competitive Halo 4 1v1 maps from ForgeHub (Now Halo Evolved) to play with my friend. I enjoyed playing these maps so much that I was inspired to forge my own 1v1 map.

Let's bring on the pictures. clear.png

ETHEREAL

Seeing as what made me start forging competitive maps was playing 1v1 forge maps, my first map is meant to play for 1v1.

download8_zps51c83ff2.jpg

download3_zps86431fbb.jpg

Ethereal is asymmetric and is built on the lovely Forge Island. I wanted to create a map that overlooked the ocean. That's it. I didn't even plan the structures. Of course, this map was quite a disaster due to its linearity and overall layout. I thought the aesthetics were great but that was when I thought aesthetics meant Banshees and Tanks outside windows.

The map went on to have 3 updates but in the end, it was quite horrible. clear.png

NEMESIS

I love Sanctuary. It is truly a terrific map. Due to my love of the classic masterpiece, my second competitive map was inspired by it.

Infinity1v11_zps16064b82.jpg

I basically copy-pasted Red and Blue base and linked them together with bridges and huts. As you may have guessed, this map became quite a disaster. It had a bad layout, tons of lazy cover, and about 8 power weapons. Yeesh.

Infinity1v1_zps34a31911.jpg

FACILITY

Such a creative and original name. Facility is symmetric, dark, and bad. This map wasn't really inspired by anything as I just hopped on Forge and decided to start forging.

Map8_zps9049783e.jpg

Had some bad sightlines, bad flow, and about 6 power weapons. What the heck was I thinking. clear.png

Map3_zps859687e8.jpg

CITADEL

Oh, this map. Oh my god, this map. This map was something. I...I don't even know what to say.

Infinity1v12_zps53078759.jpg

What started this map was my desire to make a competitive map after re-re-re-re-re-re-re-watching The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Which is the reasoning behind the tower and the debris.

Infinity1v15_zps5a5ccac2.jpg

This is probably the worst map I've ever made.

WATERWAY

Infinity1v1-BR12_zps61c74527.jpg

This map started because I wanted to build a map on the water of Forge Island. This was a bad idea because the water of Forge Island is practically a blue screen. A ******* blue screen. How can you even call that water? Anyway I pretty much built all of this without the slightest idea of what I was doing.

Infinity1v1-BR_zpscec6ce37.jpg

MALEVOLENCE

After forging all those 4v4 maps, I decided to stop handling big things for a while and go back to holding smaller things. I mean 1v1 maps.

Malevolence is a tiny map. Built for 1v1. Horrible spawns. Horrible layout. Horrible idea. But good for the learning process. clear.png

download_zpsccbe475f.jpg

download11_zpsce51a0c5.jpg

SHIPYARD

This map wasn't really designed by me. I remade this from a map in Reach called "Hardshore" by JGarb.

download11_zps70d092f3.jpg

download_zps1291e344.jpg

GARRISON

Garrison is an asymmetric 4v4 map built on Forge Island...again. 4 bases. Ghost Town-inspired. Extremely cluttered.

download13_zps169b9fd6.jpg

download2_zps667e69cf.jpg

REFUGE

Refuge is a 4v4 map on Forge Island. It's kind of like a mix of Shipyard and Garrison. The main layout was taken from Garrison and the only thing Shipyard influenced was the battleship.

This map had several problems in terms of everything. Spawning, balance, flow, etc. Pretty bad.
download18_zps954fe383.jpg

download13_zps97c1fbd9.jpg

NOVUS

This map. I can't even express how much this map means to me. Not because it's an outstanding map but because this map is what lead to my brighter days as a forger. I've learned so much through making and updating this map that I can't even count all the different versions and people who helped me along the way.

When I began constructing Novus, I had the same mindset that I had when I was making my previous maps. Which was keep forging without any real clue on what you're doing. I didn't know the fundamentals of competitive forging before I made this map. All I really knew was cover. But I had no idea on what the difference was between lazy and structural cover.

Sadly, I no longer have pictures of Novus's first/earlier versions. However, TheElderAcorn showed it in a video.

Here. [media=youtube]p5uU0TbOXxg[/media]

I posted that map in a lot of forums. And the feedback I've gotten was OVERWHELMING. So much feedback. So many wrong things about the map. So many hurtful words. So much time on my hands.

So I updated the map. I kept updating and updating and updating until my head was about to explode from all the new-found knowledge.

In the end, the map didn't become what I wanted it to be. I wanted it to be a THFE feature. But it didn't make the cut. Without a one millionth reforge, the map was mediocre.

But, like I said, this map will forever hold a special place in my heart because of everything that I've learned from it.

Here are pictures of the map's latest and final version.

EDddBPZ.jpg

ztXi9OD.jpg

The map did land me an Online Knights feature though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDRTwQSf9A

CAEDIS

After a while, I felt like I needed to do something different. I've been making so many competitive maps that I forgot about other gametypes to forge for. Who knows, maybe I can be a great Flood forger.

That's how Caedis came to life. I wanted to create something that's not a competitive map so I decided to forge a flood map.

I'm very proud of this map. It's definitely not the best Flood map out there but I love the gorgeous aesthetics I managed to pull off along.

Thanks to [uSER=753]Elliot[/uSER] and [uSER=47]REMkings[/uSER] for helping out with the map.

viBna7N.jpg

tHsKXbD.jpg
XENOS

This map started a week after I finalized Novus. I wanted to see what I could pull off after all that I learned from Novus. I ended up making an symmetric 1v1/2v2 map. This is a map that I'm very happy with. It's simple but in a good way. The forerunner aesthetics were sexy and the gameplay was very solid.

6xiTkO8.jpg

SzeV1w5.jpg

PRAELIUM

This is pretty weird but my favorite forge canvas on Halo 4 is Ravine. That's not the weird part. The weird thing is I have about 9 maps on Forge Island and 2 on Ravine.

I don't know what's up with that.

N7z6obN.jpg

NS8rvUQ.jpg

Praelium is an asymmetric 2v2 map. My first map on Ravine. Very solid map. Nothing super-special.

SILEX

I started Silex after Novus. I created it around the same time as Xenos and Praelium. It's a symmetric map on Forge Island with a very basic layout. Too basic. The map fell short because of it lacked depth and anything to make it interesting. Had some flow and spawning problems too.

xmFC7QO.jpg

PRIMUS

I felt like I acquired some knowledge in the process of building Novus so I tried my hand at making another 4v4. I also wanted to make a map on Impact as a challenge since I've never forged a competitive map on Impact before. This map isn't one of my best maps. The map had problems with it's verticality, flow, and spawning.
rBcvPdJ.jpg

EXIN

Exin is my second competitive map on Ravine. Exin was originally a 4v4 map. Bad idea. 4v4 gave it horrible spawning and overly chaotic gameplay.

But it's now built for 1v1 and 2v2 and is by far my best map on Halo 4. I built it by my favorite spot on Ravine. The waterfalls. That's the idea that started the map. I put some ramps and doorways by the waterfall and built off from there.

I consider Exin my best 2v2 map. Maybe even my best competitive map.

TZ4MO83.jpg

0S03i2n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qESFsDH_kQ

MAGNUS

Magnus is my first BTB map. I challenged myself to forge for bigger player counts. Unfortunately, the map's layout was problematic for BTB gameplay. It was basically a ring for vehicles to drive around and then a couple of buildings at the side. Yikes.

jR75u2Y.jpg

ATTACK ON FORGE CASTLE

More challenges! This map happened because I challenged myself to make a mini game. I also felt like I needed a break from competitive forging. In the process of making and testing the map, I realized that making mini games isn't my calling.

The premise behind the map was assaulting a tower and grabbing the ball. The map did do something clever though. The players attacking the castle can blow up its walls with fusion coils. I made the blocks destructible with some tinkering of the Ricochet gametype. It had a competitive edge to it but it just had so many problems.

rpDSBkU.jpg

BLOODSTONE

Bloodstone is a competitive 2v2 map I forged for a 2v2 forge tournament. It's an asymmetric map built on Ravine. It's a fairly solid map that was inspired by Edifice and Angst but sadly didn't live up to those maps.

ftNbfyW.jpg

Q1u1IgI.jpg

AETHER

Aether is another attempt at making a 4v4 map. Seeing as my last 4 competitive maps which were originally for 4v4 but had to be configured for 2v2 because of spawning issues, I got worried that I couldn't make a proper map for 4v4 anymore. Aether took that worry away. Aether is really great 4v4 map and is compatible with Slayer and CTF.

I've had people tell me Aether is my best map so far but I think Exin is still my greatest gem.

This map was very important because of the 4v4 forging knowledge I gained from it. I learned a lot about CTF spawns and avoiding linear sightlines.

LKfRxn2.jpg

3BRo7wf.jpg

BABY GUARDIAN

There's not a whole lot to say about this one. It's my first aesthetic map and is basically a miniaturized version of Guardian. It's fairly accurate in everything other than scaling (duh) and is pretty cute.

xH9yQoM.jpg

IasXgzC.jpg

SETTLED

Settled is my second BTB map in Halo. I started the map as a Hostage Rescue map but it eventually became a full fledged BTB map.

The reason why it's called Settled is because it reminded me of Settler. The map was built on Ravine and used a lot of the natural terrain. The map had some interesting and well designed bases but failed due to a lack of defined routes and bad sightlines. I tried to go on the path of CE by segmenting the bases with distance but I didn't account for DMRs, LRs, etc.

Overall, it wasn't a very good map.

Vkrk2N1.jpg

ZED

Zed is a coforge between myself and Zeroflame. It's my first successful coforge and I'm very proud of the map. This is probably the best 4v4 map I had a hand in making.

7H9WAKw.jpg

tp3U3z3.jpg

City of Grey

CoG is the second Flood map I've made and it has become one of my favorites among my maps. It's a linear Flood map with a destroyed city for a theme. The map also has a very unique third phase which involves a Warthog run. I learned a lot about linear Flood maps in the process of making this map and I have plenty of people to thank for that. You know who you are.

In the end, the map was good enough to land me a THFE feature.

qOJIVnf.jpg

j0XjSWJ.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZghZS_rVY

Mirage

Mirage is my best looking map. Ever. It's a 1v1 map and that allowed me to go ape**** with the aesthetics. And I do mean ape****. For such a small map, it confuses me on how I spent 9700+ of my budget.

As for gameplay, I can't really complain much. It has some flaws but it can still play a great 1v1 game.

w1nkMZ1.jpg

OHaF43d.jpg

Cornerstone Manor

At this point, the Last Stand Flood gametype was announced and everyone was playing it. I enjoyed playing a lot of the Last Stand maps that I was inspired to make one of my own.

That's how Cornerstone Manor came to life. Overall, it was a very decent playing Last Stand map.

wPKTrys.jpg

Roid Run

I made a minigame and it wasn't a complete disaster. That's an achievement in and of itself. Roid Run is pretty much Minotaur. Just a little prettier and scarier than the popular one on Ravine.

UB456JA.jpg

6wTdrGn.jpg

SAW: The Return

This map happened because I wanted to make a minigame but I had no original idea. It's basically a map made for the Shields Up minigame from the early days of Halo 4. Of course, my version is prettier. clear.png

0qngnpC.jpg

LbIipDL.jpg

Beacon Rush

Remake of the one from Halo Reach. With Stockpile now in Halo 4 thanks to modding, I figured I'd remake this.

NAsiw5i.jpg

kKqAfKb.jpg

Hall Wars

Also a remake from Reach. Because YOLO.

D249kP1.jpg

Boarding Pass

My fourth Flood map. Boarding Pass is a Hivemind map that has a more or less original theme. The setting is a modern train station and I'm very happy with how this map turned out.

Low46SV.jpg

Cypher

This is my last competitive map in Halo 4. It's meant for 1v1 & 2v2 and is asymmetric in design. I would like to think of this map as a successor to my other map, Exin. So far, I'm happy with how the map plays but I'm sure there are still a couple of kinks to work out.

cnQonHh.jpg

DEcxTnl.jpg

Last Stand: Nuketown

CoD sucks. But Last Stand doesn't. Apparently, Last Stand + Nuketown = Awesome.

yA4CMQs.jpg

mUthnvt.jpg

Edited by Diarrhea
  • Like 6

TL;DR

I'm Zanny. Diarrhea. I forged in Halo: Reach. Diarrhea. Diarrhea. I forged in Halo 4. Diarrhea. Diarrhea. Diarrhea. I forge better than you. Diarrhea. Diarrhea. Diarrhea. Diarrhea.

(On a serious note though, I love your maps Zanny. I'm still waiting on Last Stand for Nuketown to be 100%, but I love your work and look forward to seeing even more maps from you.)

Ps. A Star Wars map would be nice... ;)

• Like 1