Phil Spencer Takes the ALS Ice Water Challenge; Please Donate!

I'd like to start this off by saying while not a lot of you could consider this "news", this was requested by a few people to be covered and I think it should be seen and spread so that we can raise awareness of this horrible disease and help those struggling with it. Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft, has undertaken the ALS Ice Water Challenge!

Now, before you ask, the ALS Ice Water Challenge is a chain-letter style challenge system where one person nominates three people and then proceeds to dunk ice cold water on his/herself. The three that person nominates have 24 hours to respond by doing the challenge or they have to donate $100 to ALS awareness, properly known as Lou Gerhig's disease. On Xbox's YouTube.com Phil Spencer not only undertook the challenge, but as well donated money to the organization. He nominated Valve's Gabe Newell, Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, and Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime, he himself was nominated by the well known Notch, creator of Minecraft. Sony responded and undertook the challenge themselves, nominating GameStop's head, Activision's head, and Sony Europe's exec. So far, Valve and Nintendo haven't responded (to my knowledge). 

post-26953-0-74782100-1408484265_thumb.png

Now, I recommend everyone donates or tries the challenge but I'm going to conduct something myself. I myself undertook the challenge and I'll edit the video of it below, but I'd like to nominate some members to do it themselves or donate! I'd like to nominate Jack of Harts, Yoshi1176, and Stinky! You three have 24 hours to take the challenge and/or donate, but because I know some members have like to keep private, you don't have to record yourself doing the challenge. Feel free to nominate three other members once it is completed, and we'll try to raise some awareness for ALS! If you would however like to share the video of yourself doing it feel free to post it below. Thanks for reading everyone, and thanks for spreading awareness for ALS! Donate at ALSA.org.

(Note: I know this is very unusual news to some people and may not be considered it, but I feel raising awareness is important. If a moderator feels this doesn't belong, go ahead and move it to the general discussion, I don't mind!)

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

This is such a good cause, seeing someone like Bill Gates or Phil Spencer doing this is a really good thing. It inspires a lot more people, particularly in the gaming community to start taking the challenge :). It really does mean something :).

I said in the article I did do it, I just didn't post it yet.

im sure we believe you right guys

you don't HAVE to pay, only if you get nominated and DON'T do the Ice Challenge

The one flaw.

There are people in the world who would prefer not to have ice water dumped on their heads, and they would also like to keep their money for their own things. But for some reason, despite the perfectly logical reasoning they have to not participate, they are ostracised by their peers.

Just the other side of this coin.

tl;dr 'hurdurr not caring hurdurr'

It's making some normally unreachable people look really normal. Love it.

Vin Diesel is the best, I loved when he discovered facebook, he kept making posts and talked to people on it and he also plays dungeons and dragons, biggest celeb geek I know.

His ALS challenge was really funny.