Spartan Ops (season) 2 general ideas and wishes.

Coldfreeze

So since our Halo 5 topic does not include a spartan ops bit yet, I put it here (any mod feel free to move it.) 

So some people hated Spartan Ops some loved it, I generally enjoyed it and in my opinion it became fun when the maps weren't MP maps but genuine SP and Spartan Ops unique maps.

Now I like dislike Firefight, it always had a "This could be story driven why isn't it" - feeling to me.

Now in my opinion SpOps is a natural evolution of Firefight. I mean the story turned out to be actually good and it left us with a cliffhanger (Halsey betraying the UNSC) 

The form it has to evolve into has to be more story driven, a co-op campaign to interest the story lovers and of course more immersion due to ingame cutscenes (love the part where your spartan is captured and of your own breaks free and assasinates the elite.)

Also the addition to make missions in forge would be great, it can't lose it's value there and people can craft their own missions and get them rated, which could boost spartan ops popularity.

share your thoughts here.

2 rules:

1. Have fun!

2. Stay civil!

Edited by RedStarRocket91
Moving this to Halo 5's General Discussion, seems like a slightly better place

If SPOPS returns, it needs to be more fleshed out. If they release new episodes they need to be more than protect this, kill this, press this. They can intertwine storyline and gameplay a lot better than they did in SPOPS Season 1. For instance, the mission is to bomb a covenant ship in one chapter. You must actually carry the bomb, but you must protect it from fire as well. If the bomb is shot at enough, it blows up. Instead of just *Press button* *BOOM*

They also need to make the missions fail-able. There were only a few episodes where you could actually lose and have to restart the mission. This enhances the challenge, and allows the player to actually be cautious. Each chapter can have it's own difficulty as well.

• Like 2

If SPOPS returns, it needs to be more fleshed out. If they release new episodes they need to be more than protect this, kill this, press this. They can intertwine storyline and gameplay a lot better than they did in SPOPS Season 1. 

You do realize you described just about every Halo campaign mission. Don't you? 

For me, the first of the two big problems with Spartan Ops is that it suffers from some very poor design in places - missions involving Prometheans in particular just seem to consist spamming very large numbers of Crawlers on all sides for several waves, and so fighting them becomes repetitive and a chore rather than genuinely exciting or challenging. Part of this is no doubt because there are only really three types of Promethean enemies and they're all bullet sponges which need similar tactics to fight, so if we get a more diverse set of opponents in Halo 5 then this might well sort itself out, but for now I'd prefer if more missions were structured along the lines of the Covenant-themed ones, i.e. small but carefully picked groups of opponents using terrain to their advantage rather than just huge numbers of enemies being thrown at the player.

The second of the two major issues is that the missions just don't scale well. Some can be extremely tough to solo without dying even on Normal and Heroic for veterans, but a group of four halfway-competent players is going to have very little difficulty in storming through most of the missions, even on Legendary and with skulls enabled. This is a problem in the Campaign, too, but there it's excused on the grounds that it's only meant to be played by a single person, an excuse Spartan Ops absolutely doesn't have.

So right off the bat, two things I'd like to see in Spartan Ops are a better selection of enemies on Promethean-based missions in particular, and enemy spawns tied to the number of human players so that the level of challenge always feels appropriate to the chosen difficulty (perhaps more enemies or higher ranks as the player count increases).

The next thing is a bit minor, but it annoys me so I'll list it anyway, and that's making missions compatible with DLC. Seriously, I love my MK V armour and the Bullseye pack's weapon skins, and the Armour Abilities that I got from that seem like they'd be useful too - so it's annoying to jump into a mission and discover that my Spartan looks completely wrong and half my loadouts are broken. It's really irritating and for Season 2 I don't want to have to waste time changing my loadouts and armour every time I swap between War Games and Spartan Ops, so a fix there would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if Firefight does return (and I hope it does!) I'd like our characters to be able to actually Speak in Spartan Ops depending on what voice was chosen. Even if it's just the regular combat quotes rather than actual dialogue or discussion, it would go a long way to helping the Spartans feel a bit more alive and individual, and of course as long as there was a Noble Six-style voice without quote for those players who'd prefer to just do missions silently, it shouldn't cause any upset among the fanbase (heck, a button to toggle Spartan speech in co-op gamemodes on and off in the menus would be nice).

• Like 2

You do realize you described just about every Halo campaign mission. Don't you?

I'm saying that "Protect this, Kill this, Press this" need to be more than what they are. They need to be less boring. Campaign's can pull this off without getting scrutinized because they are shorter, more tolerable, (8 missions, compared to 50 SPOPS.) but with a lot more depth In story to them. The depth in SPOPS is weak compared to campaign, as the story is told at a much slower pace + the repetitive gameplay making it stale. It got old after about 4 weeks in. There were a few "pop" moments, but they were few and far between. It was that constant repetition, and nothing different or special came along and save it. It was a grind honestly.

• Like 1

I'm saying that "Protect this, Kill this, Press this" need to be more than what they are. They need to be less boring. Campaign's can pull this off without getting scrutinized because they are shorter, more tolerable, (8 missions, compared to 50 SPOPS.) but with a lot more depth In story to them. The depth in SPOPS is weak compared to campaign, as the story is told at a much slower pace + the repetitive gameplay making it stale. It got old after about 4 weeks in. There were a few "pop" moments, but they were few and far between. It was that constant repetition, and nothing different or special came along and save it. It was a grind honestly.

That's basically how i feel about Halo "competitive" multiplayer. Their "consistency" is really just them wanting it to stay the same with little to no changes. I was one of those few that was happy with the mix of different things Halo Reach and Halo 4 brought to Halo. I do see what you are saying though.

• Like 2

In my opinion add forge to it, let people make their own missions. I mean in that way SpOps never dies and it can be a vital part of the MP community just a Firefight was.

Grunt infection. Die by a Grunt, become a Grunt. So many cool things could come out of that.

UNSC survival: Survive against waves of UNSC personnel, as you and your Elite Sanghelli squad try to make it out alive. Honestly, Elite Ops wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Like 1

Grunt infection. Die by a Grunt, become a Grunt. So many cool things could come out of that.

UNSC survival: Survive against waves of UNSC personnel, as you and your Elite Sanghelli squad try to make it out alive. Honestly, Elite Ops wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Well see, those are really good ideas and it could make spartan ops an amazing mode.

I personally loved Spartan Ops. It made me feel like I was a part of the halo universe. The CGI cut scenes were phenomenal, the story was interesting, and the RvB Easter Eggs were hilarious.

One problem with Spartan Ops was that it made you play the same maps over and over again. Another problem was that it felt like it was more of a horde mode rather than a mission. Even though it wasn't bad, there was nothing that was amazing about the gameplay.

Spartan Ops for Halo 5 needs a larger variety of maps, more epic gameplay, and new objectives/features. 343 needs to give the community a reason for us to keep playing Spartan Ops. They need to make players want more episodes and missions.

It would really suck if Crimson, Majestic, and the rest of the Spartan Ops characters did not make a return because of a few flaws in Halo 4.

• Like 1

I personally loved Spartan Ops. It made me feel like I was a part of the halo universe. The CGI cut scenes were phenomenal, the story was interesting, and the RvB Easter Eggs were hilarious.

One problem with Spartan Ops was that it made you play the same maps over and over again. Another problem was that it felt like it was more of a horde mode rather than a mission. Even though it wasn't bad, there was nothing that was amazing about the gameplay.

Spartan Ops for Halo 5 needs a larger variety of maps, more epic gameplay, and new objectives/features. 343 needs to give the community a reason for us to keep playing Spartan Ops. They need to make players want more episodes and missions.

It would really suck if Crimson, Majestic, and the rest of the Spartan Ops characters did not make a return because of a few flaws in Halo 4.

I think the missions at the end were more itneresting due to the difference in objectives. dismaneling bombs, fighting against the timer, fighting aboard the Infinity.

They should indeed make it more varied campaign.

• Like 1

I personally loved Spartan Ops....

I don't mind the repeated gameplay so that was why. :)

The cgi cut scenes were the reason I kept playing because I wanted to find out what was going to happen next.

It was also the only reason I played Halo 4 after I hit max rank on Dec 26th 2012.

1. Kill off Sarah Palmer please. I don't care how just please, I beg you.

2. Less repetitivity in missions, I find my self playing the same level in the same environment a lot of the time.

3. Make the UNSC seem less like a terrorist organisation than in season 1.

4. No more endless streams of crawlers

(I don't know if this is posted in a topic elsewhere, but I seem to have trouble posting without clicking "More Reply Options", as the "Post" button doesn't respond. And when I do, even if I leave a space between sentences, it crams them together, like you see when you read my post, does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or what?)

OK here's my IDEA for spartan ops first off more cutscenes with the Spartans we use let us admire our armor. Second when I play on the single player mode let me have an AI team of Spartans ibcan customize a bit like armor and then that's it's add more levels maybe and work on fixing the lag.