PC drivers for Xbox One controller released. Another Halo 2 Anniversary Hint?

Microsoft has released PC drivers for the Xbox One controller today, the announcement came from Xbox Live's Major Nelson. 

gallery_12241_647_57129.jpeg

Gamers can now use their Xbox One controller to play games and use apps on their PC by downloading the required drivers(available on Major Nelson's site). Major Nelson also stated that they are planning to release the drivers in a Windows update in the near future but gamers can get early access to it today. A micro USB cable will be required as it does not support a wireless connection at the moment. Games that currently support the Xbox 360 controller will be compatible with the Xbox One controller. 

Now on to the conspiracy.

In the announcement of the Xbox One controller PC drivers on Major Nelson's site there is a picture that shows the Xbox One controller that is connected to a Surface Pro to demonstrate the new functionality of the feature and it has the Halo 2's main title screen on it. See below.

gallery_12241_647_44385.jpg

Now this could be solely for demonstration purposes to show of the new feature but with the cavalcade of rumors and "hints" over the past number of months many might take this as another nudge towards Halo 2 anniversary being in the works. So Is it?

It does seem suspicious that they are using Halo 2 in that image and not an image of one of their recent products such as Halo: Spartan Assault considering it is the latest Halo game out right now and the fact that it is available to play on PC and Windows devices. Is this another nod towards a Halo 2 anniversary or is it just an innocent act? Anyway I'll leave it for you to decide, leave your thoughts on this news below.

Source: majornelson.com

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 8

Why out of all games would he go for Halo 2 especially when Halo 2: anniversary is being rumoured. This seems a hint to me for sure!

I really don't know what to make of this. It could go many ways in terms of interpretation.

This could be the Halo 2 Vista thingy (I haven't played it so I don't know if that's actually it, or if it's available for Windows tablets) for all we know. It does seem off to put Halo 2 up there instead of Waypoint, or Halo: Spartan Assault (is Waypoint even on Windows?).

Maybe this means that some 343i support will be coming to the Halo 2 Vista game? I don't know it's just one of those things that is completely up in the air.

I think this just provides even more ground for the possibility of Halo 2: Anniversary. I'm really looking forward to being able to play Halo 2: Anniversary, and if they are releasing it on Windows 8 devices, I find it highly likely that we'll see it land on the 360 as well.

Great Find Adam! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Why would they use a Halo game on the Surface?  Hmm....if we think reeeeeeal hard...oh wait!  Because they are BOTH Microsoft products, proprietary IP's and what better way to market the controller than by showing it off using a currently played PC title on a piece of hardware Microsoft is in desperate need of shipping?!?  Wow that was hard work...I need a nap.

But seriously guys, drop the silly H2A crap already.  Surfaces are capable of running ting a Desktop or Laptop can run, granted the resources on the Surface are there.  In the case of Halo 2, yes it will run.  Yes they could have opted to show any game on the Surface or even a PC using the thing, but this may also be a ploy to market the Surface.   Then again for that matter, I wouldn't trade my 360 controller for the Xbone's in a million years, and who wants to be tied down by a wire to use it?  That was the whole point of the Wireless Reciever for PC.

But seriously guys, drop the silly H2A crap already.  Surfaces are capable of running ting a Desktop or Laptop can run, granted the resources on the Surface are there.  In the case of Halo 2, yes it will run. 

The big question is, with all of the speculation and rumors regarding Halo 2: Anniversary, why deliberately showcase something that would draw attention to Halo 2? Why not advertise Halo: Spartan Assault? 

I think Halo 2: Anniversary is coming this year, I'm hard pressed to think 343i would continue releasing news lined with Halo 2 and not shoot down any Halo 2 rumors, unless they were trying to slowly build up hype for Halo 2: Anniversary, which I think they are.

No.  The controllers are mapped differently, hence why drivers are needed.  If the controller mapping were identical to the 360, the new drivers would not be needed, as 360 support is built into Windows 8 and Windows 7.