Xbox One w/o Kinect coming June 9th! $399!!!

Screech

osqhqu7xmr9filu6ftzi.gif

Microsoft has finally heard the community's cries and decided to release a Kinect-free Xbox One! The console will retail at $399 (the same price as the PS4) and will start shipping in a little less than a month, on Monday June 9th!!

Hopefully this will allow more people to make the shift from the Xbox 360 over to the Xbox One, in addition to helping Microsoft catch up to Sony in hardware sales (the PS4 has sold 3 million more units than the XB1 to date).

Any of you guys going to go out and buy a Kinect-free XB1 on June 9th?! I already have one and personally believe the Kinect is an important part of the console and its user interface (some might disagree) so I don't feel cheated by the price drop.

Source: Kotaku

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

This is great! The long awaited price drop has finally shown itself! I actually looked forward to using the Kinect features with the Xbox One, so I don't know if this bundle is for me. Good on Microsoft for delivering something a ton of gamers have been asking for since the Xbox One was announced at last year's E3.

Great find and article Screech :yay:

This is great! The long awaited price drop has finally shown itself! I actually looked forward to using the Kinect features with the Xbox One, so I don't know if this bundle is for me. Good on Microsoft for delivering something a ton of gamers have been asking for since the Xbox One was announced at last year's E3.

Great find and article Screech :yay:

Thank you, thank you! And yeah, as I said before, I actually like the new Kinect a lot. Not too many devs have been implementing it into their games thus far, aside from DICE (they made it so you can say commands and your character will shout them in BF4) but I find myself using it a lot to navigate around the console's menus. AND the "Xbox, Record That" feature is awesome.

If you're looking to save $100, I'd recommend going with the new Kinect-free option. If you don't mind spending the additional $100 for some more voice-control features, I'd recommend buying a used Xbox One off amazon/eBay or getting the Titanfall bundle if Walmart still has them for $450.

Thank you for reporting this Screech. This is exactly what I was waiting for in getting an Xbox One. I might even get it before the next Halo is released now! And man do I have quite the wishlist for games...

No problemo, Dan! And thanks to you for promoting it to an article :)

I've got a big games wishlist as well! Right now, I'm really looking forward to new Halo, Destiny, and The Crew.

This is awesome, I'd rather not deal with learning

how to set up and use a kinect sensor. I also think

that the Xbox One is more affordable for me now!!!

Thanks Screech, nice find(:

I feel this is actually useless.

A kinect is, technologically, a very advanced product. It's practically a military grade camera, what with it's ability to see you, recognize you, do so in different wavelengths, and also use the images captured to predict many other things, including things like forces acting on your body (Anyone seen that video of the dude dancing and the kinect capturing the 'muscle' movements). It's also a 1080p camera that pretty much auto-hooks up with your Xbone, which in turn can auto-hook up with it's applications. 

Not just that, but developers for the Xbox are always going to be trying to push the game to the max. Eventually there are going to be games out there that utilize the new Kinect's amazing functionalities to help create a seamless experience. We've seen Halo games dabble in it; eventually it's only going to evolve to utilize much more of things like voice commands, etc. 

The only thing that's gonna happen is people are gonna see that without a Kinect they're in truth falling behind, and their options is to continue playing around with limited functions or shell out their money. And when that happens, Microsoft is only going to laugh.

They say it's for the community, but anything they do for the community is still just to earn a profit from a business perspective. 

• Like 1

The only thing that's gonna happen is people are gonna see that without a Kinect they're in truth falling behind, and their options is to continue playing around with limited functions or shell out their money. And when that happens, Microsoft is only going to laugh.

They say it's for the community, but anything they do for the community is still just to earn a profit from a business perspective. 

It's interesting that you say this because I was just reading an article Kotaku wrote about the exact same thing after the big reveal yesterday. They talked to Phil Spencer (one of the big guys at MS / Xbox) about it and he said they are planning on making it so headsets can be used for voice commands because he knows "voice is important to a lot of people and I'd like to unlock that for as many people as we can."

Here's a little bit of the interview:

"Obviously, without Kinect involved, the scenario you bring up is something we've thought a lot about with headsets... people own phones today with a microphone .. there are other things we could do. It's part of our discussions about how to use the investment we've made in voice to make sure it's available to as many people as possible."

Too bad MS couldn't drop the price a little further for countries such as Australia, UK and NZ. Our prices for the Kinectless Bundle is the same for the launch price of the Xbox One in the US. Completely ridiculous that is for how it's so bloody expensive in said countries.

If you're to disregard the obscene price that MS is selling it for, it's a good thing. I for one am completely against having the Kinect, and I know many more are from reading around the web.

Glad it didn't take them a year to make this version available.

• Like 1