Microsoft Has Plans For Xbox 360 Emulator on Xbox One

Frank Savage confirms work is being made towards giving the Xbox One an Xbox 360 game emulator.

8C8960785-xbone.jpg

In a response to someone in the audience at Microsoft's Build developer conference, Frank Savage confirmed plans being made that would allow users to play their 360 games on Xbox One. 

AUDIENCE MEMBER: "Are there plans for an Xbox 360 emulator on Xbox One?"

SAVAGE: "There are, but we’re not done thinking them through yet, unfortunately. It turns out to be hard to emulate the PowerPC stuff on the X86 stuff. So there’s nothing to announce, but I would love to see it myself."

How long will we have to wait for this functionality? We don't know just yet, but seeing as this was one of the many complaints surrounding the Xbox One, its good to know work is being made towards this 'problem.'

This is good news for gamers who want to enjoy both Xbox One titles and Xbox 360 Titles without the hassle of switching out consoles.

Will the ability to play your Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One be enough to decide your purchase? Let us know in the comments below.

SOURCE:KOTAKU

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 7

This is exactly what the Xbox One needs. I mean not being backwards compatible is harsh but looking from next gen console developers' point of view, it's understandable when you're trying to move gamers to the next generation. This is an excellent move by Microsoft. Only thing I'm worried about now is pricing.

I was intending to buy it eventually anyway, though this would make it better. I wouldn't have to change consoles when I wanted to play Halo 4 or something, though I'd probably still have to change consoles in order to play my arcade games. Unless of course Microsoft also allows you to download your 360 arcade games onto the One.

I have both already...

BUT I'd love to play 360 games on the Xbox One! Why didn't they do this initially?!

My only guess is because they are still selling Xbox 360's. Remember the new 2013 E3 Model Xbox 360 (That's not its official model name, that's just how I best remember it, lol). The only reason the might be considering emulating 360 games is if they have a good reason. As they said its running different hardware, different software, different everything. Its going to take time and money to recalibrate everything to run properly on the Xbox One. So they wouldn't even bother, unless theres something in it for them. I guess we'll have to wait and see!  :)

I have the Xbox one already, and would love to see them do this. Because there are limited titles out for the console at this time I do get a bit bored of my games, although I am picking up Titanfall this weekend. Being able to play 360 games on the Xbox One would bring a lot more skeptical buyers for Microsoft and it would allow us to play some of our favorite games again.

If they do this then I will definitely buy an Xbox one since that was one of my biggest points of not buying an Xbox one.

Nice article Zeebs

Edited by уαηg χιασ ℓσηg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would make sense if they did, pretty much every newer console has the ability to play older generation games. Although most come pre-loaded with this feature, and the Xbone didn't, I predict it will increase the Xbox One sales by a little bit, if not a lot. So instead of people going out and buying a 360 AND a Xbone, the would get it all in one. Which seems much better than purchasing both consoles.

(And as a side note, is Frank Savage related to Adam Savage ;) )