Plasma Pistol - Difficulty Legendary - Rumour

Touquisi

Hi all, I don't normally use the plasma pistol when playing on legendary cause I originally thought it was a huge wast of time, but apparently it is a great weapon to use in legendary?  I still have not tried to test this yet so Im asking you is it true? Does the difficulty change the power of the weapon or something? How can the cutest weapon turn into such a killer?
Thanks.  

When you hold down the trigger, it charges up an EMP that instantly takes down the shielding of anyone it hits (save for the Halo Reach Field Marshal or any Elite when all skulls are on, but since this is Halo 4, and I assume you aren't using skulls, this should work). Now, it's most effective in Halo CE, 2, 3, and Reach, but in Halo 4 it works well too. However I would suggest using a power weapon instead. Halo 4 has an abundance of those.

Halo 4's Plasma Pistol doesn't home in as much as it should, and it's way too inefficient with battery consumption, but it'll get the job done if you can't find a power weapon.

• Like 1

It is a part of the "Noob Combo", where you can charge it up to take down an enemy's shields and follow up with a headshot. It's invaluable in older Halo games, but not so much in Halo 4 thanks to its inefficient battery and inability to home in on its target effectively.

The plasma pistol's noob combo is an absolute beast in campaign. The only thing I really ever use it for is Elites and Promethean Knights, but that's just because its faster to headshot grunts and crawlers. It is highly effective in Co-op campaign as well, nearly unstoppable if even just one of you have it. (Not to mention the EMP takes disables vehicles too, allowing you to gain control. A very valuable asset, especially when playing on Legendary)

The plasma pistol overcharge shot is really useful on legendary. It's only useful on vehicles, elites, and forerunners. Anything else won't give you a combat boost. I guess it could work on jackals, but precision weapons are your best bet for using against them.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's a great weapon to use. Only issue is that it's useless when engaged with multiple enemies head on and from long range. Taking out big targets by depleting the shield with the plasma pistol I found was a very efficient way of taking down the strongest of enemies but also saving some ammo in the process. Can't say I used it a whole lot, mainly I wasn't bothered with it or really thought about using it but for doing legendary, it's really helpful. Shame you can't hold on to 3 weapons, rather than 2. I could run with 2 power weapons but also a plasma pistol for the reasons above. 

Its a weapon you could use for the following things if your timing is great:

• EMP'ing a vehicle and hi-jacking it
  • Taking down tough enemies in the campaign
  • ambushing players in online (get a br or dmr and plasma loadout)

But it is a lot weaker in Halo 4, hence my notion of having a great timing.

I always charge up the plasma pistol fully and then

fire it at an elite, then I quickly switch to my 'finisher'

weapon (a DMR, battle rifle, or pistol), and one 

quick shot to the head ends them!

It's helpful for me, you should give it a try!

If you're ever doing LASO in any Halo, don't even attempt this strategy on actual enemies. You might as well be hitting the shielded dudes with a tooth pick...

Now Hijacking on the other hand, it is quite useful for. In addition to this, any plasma damage will disrupt shielding big time. So if there isn't a PP around for some reason then try and take a plasma turret, Plasma rifle, storm rifle, etc. (even needler, but you better be close and have a LOT of needles, because they eat them.)

• 6 months later...

The plasma pistol is the best weapon to use when fighting Elites and Knights as long as you charge it first...and I don't know why everybody is complaining about the Plasma Pistol in Multiplayer. They are in the game for a reason, to be used. Its kind of pointless to have a weapon in a game that nobody uses.