Phil Spencer on Halo 2 Anniversary - If It Were To Happen

Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer spoke to IGN at the Gamer Developers Conference about Halo 2 Anniversary and if they were to make it. 

med_gallery_12241_647_21820.jpg

During the talk Phil Spencer went through different things on what made the game a success and what would be important for an anniversary edition if it were to happen. Quoting Phil from his interview with IGN he does talk about the multiplayer side of things a lot, he also may have hinted if Halo 2 Anniversary were to happen it would have multiplayer.

"All the things that you and I know about the evolution of the franchise, if you’re going to say one thing about Halo 2, you’re going to talk about real multiplayer. I think you just have to nail that in just such a fundamentally core way. Frankly probably better than we did with Halo 1 Anniversary. I thought the multiplayer in Halo 1 Anniversary was good, but Halo 1 never had multiplayer in the truest sense, so it always was going to be something different."

This was his final statement. 

"If there were something called Halo 2 Anniversary, I think the multiplayer would have to be fantastic."

Keep in mind everything Phil Spencer said was all in a hypothetical sense. But despite that, did what he say seem to push the possibility of a Halo 2 Anniversary a little closer to a reality in your view?

Microsoft has yet to confirm and also deny the rumor when it first surfaced two months ago.

Source: IGN 

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 6

Great article Adam, I think this just adds to the speculation of what I think is a game that will most definitely come in 2014. I really can't see 2015 rolling around without Halo 2 Anv. There's just too much that points towards it for me.

Thanks Zeebs.

What makes me think Halo 2 Anniversary could very well be in the works is simply because 2 months has gone by and MS has yet to deny the rumor, any other rumors about them were shot down as quick as within 24 hours.

This is a great article Adam. I do feel like Phil Spencer is kind of leading us on that there will be a Halo 2: Anniversary, I just don't think Microsoft wants to give the people in charge of leaking the information the satisfaction so they're going to make the public wait.

• Like 1

This is a great article Adam. I do feel like Phil Spencer is kind of leading us on that there will be a Halo 2: Anniversary, I just don't think Microsoft wants to give the people in charge of leaking the information the satisfaction so they're going to make the public wait.

I'm liking what he's been saying about the MP. 

Nice article adam, good info here. It was a joy to read, and I'd love to see a Halo 2 Anniversary with the old multiplayer.

Also, you're welcome for me letting you have the article, BZ can testify for that :P

Oh you ;)

• Like 2

Great article Adam, I think this just adds to the speculation of what I think is a game that will most definitely come in 2014. I really can't see 2015 rolling around without Halo 2 Anv. There's just too much that points towards it for me.

I agree, with all the rumors Microsoft is bound to see that we are excited. So even if they were not planning it they will definitely now. I am sure we can expect to see it being confirmed by June or July.

• Like 1

He was only hinting about the possibility of the Multiplayer of an unconfirmed game, speaking in a sarcastic tone, around April fools day... All while reminding us that this is all Hypothetical.... Should we read to much into this and get worried? What if we get our hopes up so high, only to get disappointed?...

Ahh who cares, I know Halo 2 Anniversary will see the light of day. I just know it!  :)

As a member who has never got to play Halo 2 online, this stuff better happen! I'm not just speaking for myself about this, there are probably a lot of other members here who have not played Halo 2 online. If the game is as huge of a hit as it was, why not let the not played members get a playing chance. Anyways, I greatly support the official release.

He's basically telling us Halo 2 anniversary is coming, with some form of Multiplayer.

Excited.

Great Article.

The way Phil Spencer speaks about Halo 2's MP really gives me hope they will add Halo 2's original MP, in fact I think it will. What do you think about the MP side of things? I know what he said would suggest if Halo 2 Anniversary was to be made it will have it's original MP. But since nothing has been confirmed yet you can't be too careful despite some of the evidence and that someone from Xbox is actually talking about it.

I guess a big question would be: if original Halo 2 multiplayer were to return, how would that affect future Halos? I mean we all miss the way Halo 2 and 3 played, Halo was awesome before Armor Abilities and some people now even like them. I don't mind them too much myself I'm fine with them but if since Armor Abilities are what caused the massive decrease in Halo's multiplayer to begin with, will people still get Halo: Xbox One if they're included? 

For all we know H2A might not even be coming out because it could create far too many complications for 343 Industries in general.

I guess a big question would be: if original Halo 2 multiplayer were to return, how would that affect future Halos? I mean we all miss the way Halo 2 and 3 played, Halo was awesome before Armor Abilities and some people now even like them. I don't mind them too much myself I'm fine with them but if since Armor Abilities are what caused the massive decrease in Halo's multiplayer to begin with, will people still get Halo: Xbox One if they're included? 

For all we know H2A might not even be coming out because it could create far too many complications for 343 Industries in general.

Well if 343 makes Halo 2 Anniversary with full original MP and if it proves to be a success and brings back a lot of those who left Halo then it will show that after 7 years classic Halo game play is still popular and it's still what people want. 343 can then see that and this should make them implement more of the original Halo game play into future Halo games.

If they nail Halo 5 with great original Halo game play with great maps and modes to accompany it then we should find that a lot of those classic Halo players would be interested in 343i's future Halo games, a brand new Halo game with all the classic trimmings. If they do that then Halo 2 Anniversary shouldn't really hold back population from future Halo games. 

Halo 2 Anniversary is what is needed to get the attention of those who left halo back on board again. 

• Like 1