Bioshock Creator, Irrational Games, Closing Down

Irrational Games is closing it's doors soon.

IrrationalGames_new_logo.jpg

Today Co-founder of Irrational Games, Ken Levine, announced that Irrational Games will be shutting down. 

Ken Levine made the announcement on Irrational Games website saying:

"I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two.  That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team.   There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition."

The Employees will not be simply dropped off though, Ken Levine informed us that they will receive financial aid, as well as access to the studio to put together their portfolio. The studio will also hold a recruiting day with third party developers to allow departing staff other oppurtunities.

Ken Levine has yet to reveal what kind of project he will be working on in the future, but did reveal that the now much smaller studio will "focus exclusively on content delivered digitally."

Also note that Irrational Games will be handing Bioshock entirely over to 2k Games.

What do you think, what type of affect will this have on Bioshock? Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

SOURCE:IrrationalGames.com

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 1

Well this like when THQ went down saddens me greatly another great developer who makes good quality games is being shut down not even Bio shock could save it and I fear this is the first of many developments companies to come crashing down  ...

cough Capcom cough. :(

THQ was a publisher not a developer

Also game companies go down ALLLLLLLLLLL the time. This isn't anything new this is basically a common thing in a very hard industry like this.

Capcom won't be going anywhere for quite some time. They are a developer/publisher and are still making loads of more money then Irrational ever did. 

Why does a great company like this fall, when a company as horrible as EA survives... today is a sad day.

The world will miss you Irrational Games.

:(

How is EA horrible? Look at activision and what they did to Infinity Ward after MW2. Look at them forcing developers to meet 2 year deadlines for a triple AAA multiplatform game. 

EA is bad but jeez man don't call them "horrible" At least they have more respect for their developers. 

• Like 1

How is EA horrible? Look at activision and what they did to Infinity Ward after MW2. Look at them forcing developers to meet 2 year deadlines for a triple AAA multiplatform game. 

EA is bad but jeez man don't call them "horrible" At least they have more respect for their developers. 

You are right. I was wrong to say horrible. I said it out of anger... And they did do loads of great things, and your right they do respect most of their developers... Its just I am upset in that Battlefield 4 is still broken, Dungeon Keeper was a flop, they release sports games every year with virtually no changes, and they fail to acknowledge their mistakes and blame other things for the poor sales or problems with their games. They did win the "Worst company in America Award" multiple times. Some of these problems are not their fault, and they don't deserve the worst company award, but they are pretty bad...

I am sorry if you got offended by what I said, and I should have better explained why I was angry in the first place, rather than just blatantly call them names. For that I apologize.