•  

Toggle shoutbox 343i Community Shoutbox

@  Jack Of Harts : (14 September 2019 - 06:26 PM) @Mr Kittens and Gibberish Hopefully LMAO
@  Mr Kittens a... : (14 September 2019 - 03:58 PM) Just you wait.
@  Mr Kittens a... : (14 September 2019 - 03:58 PM) @Jack Of Harts It'll happen.
@  Mr Kittens a... : (14 September 2019 - 03:58 PM) Well howdy folks.
@  Melody : (14 September 2019 - 11:23 AM) :/
@  Halo6 Follower : (13 September 2019 - 07:41 PM) :((
@  Jack Of Harts : (13 September 2019 - 04:55 PM) I hope one day, to be able to catch someone in the shoutbox and have a conversation.
@  Jack Of Harts : (13 September 2019 - 04:52 PM) @Twinreaper Hey I've been doing alright thanks.
@  Jack Of Harts : (13 September 2019 - 04:51 PM) @Bnus You too, mate <3 <3
@  343iBot : (13 September 2019 - 12:39 PM) Welcome to the forums, ikdeqosaw! :welcome: View ikdeqosaw's Profile
@  Halo6 Follower : (13 September 2019 - 12:37 AM) You too bud <3
@  Buns : (12 September 2019 - 09:10 PM) miss you all
@  Vitamin Pwn : (12 September 2019 - 05:36 PM) Spambots uh finds a way
@  343iBot : (11 September 2019 - 08:40 PM) Welcome to the forums, er2! :welcome: View er2's Profile
@  343iBot : (11 September 2019 - 07:18 PM) Welcome to the forums, MartinNuh! :welcome: View MartinNuh's Profile
@  Drizzy_Dan : (11 September 2019 - 11:14 AM) How do they keep doing this!
@  343iBot : (11 September 2019 - 12:10 AM) Welcome to the forums, totalshredher! :welcome: View totalshredher's Profile
@  343iBot : (10 September 2019 - 10:01 PM) Welcome to the forums, D0ter! :welcome: View D0ter's Profile
@  343iBot : (10 September 2019 - 08:30 PM) Welcome to the forums, BlueGorm80! :welcome: View BlueGorm80's Profile
@  343iBot : (09 September 2019 - 06:03 PM) Welcome to the forums, RussellHOR! :welcome: View RussellHOR's Profile

Photo

GSD's Guide to Building a Computer :3

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

• Community Moderators
  • 715 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:GermanShepherdD
  • LocationClassified
11    4       2    2            

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

GSD's guide to building a computer :gsd:

Introduction: This will hopefully be a helpful guide to building your very own PC. I will try to make it simple as possible.

First you must understand what a computer is composed of.

There is the case.

Spoiler

Motherboard
Spoiler

Core (CPU)
Spoiler

RAM
Spoiler

GPU (Graphics Card)
Spoiler

Power Supply
Spoiler

Hard Drive
Spoiler

and Optical Drive
Spoiler

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Computer Cases :3   

A computer case can come in many different shapes and sizes, but they almost all have the same equipment in them. If you are a first time builder I would suggest a Phantom 410. It is under $100 and can fit anything you throw at it.

NZXT Phantom 410

Spoiler

Computer Cases will come with several buttons and USB slots on them. There will be a Power Button/Reset Button and sometimes a fan controller to control the fan speeds on your case. The USB slots can be different colors either blue or black. Black USB slots are 2.0 USB slots and they transfer data at 480mb per second. Blue USB slots are 3.0 USB slots and they transfer data at 5gb per second. (You will need to have a 3.0 USB flash drive to get those speeds in a Blue 3.0 USB slot.)
________________________________________________________________________________________

MotherBoards  :3  

A motherboard can also come in many different sizes. They have E-ATX / ATX / MicroATX / MiniATX / NanoATX / PicoATX. Most likely you will be getting either a ATX or MicroATX (those are the most common motherboards.) Make sure when purchasing your motherboard that it will fit your case!

Now that you know the sizes lets get into the components of a motherboard.

Spoiler

The motherboard in the picture is the Gigabyte 990fxa-ud7. It is expensive and I would not recommend getting it for your first PC build I am just using it as a reference because I have one. I would recommend a entry level motherboard like the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now we will be moving on to CPU.

There are many types of CPUs out there but it mostly consists of Intel and AMD CPUs.

Intel cores have a different looking motherboard CPU socket. It looks like this.

big-intel-socket-775.jpg

If your motherboard's CPU socket looks like this you need a Intel CPU socket.

Intel CPU are more on the expensive side of PC building so I do not recommend them on the first build.

The most common type of Intel socket is the Z77 socket. This socket will hold the LGA1155 intel CPUs. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your socket looks like this.

HOW3000022B-001.jpg

then it is a AMD CPU socket.

(When choosing a CPU it is important to make sure that the socket on your motherboard is compatible with the CPU)

The AMD CPU sockets that are black are AM3+ CPU sockets (like the socket on the motherboard I drew all over to show you stuff)

This socket will hold all the Phenom II / FX core from AMD

The AMD CPU sockets that are white will only hold the Phenom II cores so be careful what you buy.

IMPORTANT! Your CPU should have a heat sink installed on it before you try to boot it. If it does not you will ruin your CPU and damage your motherboard!

Before you put the CPU heat sink on you will need to put thermal compound (thermal paste on the top of the CPU) The carefully put the CPU heat sink over the CPU socket and latch it into place.

Here is a video explaining how to do it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Next We will Talk Ram.

RAM come in three different form factors DDR (outdated) DDR2 (outdated) DDR3 (current) DDR4 (future).

When looking for ram it is best to go with DDR3 1600 Non ECC and you will not need over 8gb for gaming. 16 if you are running a server while gaming. (maybe)

Now on to Graphics Card.

This is where it can get expensive even on a budget build.

I will just make a list of GPUs to get from lowest budget to tennis balls to the walls.

$50-$100 

Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon HD 6570

$100-$150

nvidia gtx 650 ti boost

$200-$600

R9270, R9 270x, R9 280, R9 280x, R9 290, R9 290x

$600-$800

Nvidia 780 ti, Nvidia Titan

$800-$1500

HD radeon 7990, R9 295x

$2000+

ASUS Ares II, Titan-Z (crazy)

Green = recommended

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Next Up is the Power Supply.

You can get a 850w PSU off of ebay for like $50 That is more than enough power for most PCs.

There are three types Modular(no wires connected to the psu), Half Modular(just important wires connected), and Non Modular(all important wires are connected plus some extras).  

Green = recommended

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last is the Hard Drive, Optical Drive, and Operating System.

There are many types of HDD but I would recommend the Western Digital HDD.

For gaming go for a 1tb Black edition HDD.

There are Red, Blue, and Green. But the Black one is specifically for gaming. They cost around $60 too.

Optical Drives are fairly inexpensive, but make sure you get a SATA optical drive and not a IDE Optical Drive IDE is out of date.

There are some things to know about a Operating System before you go out getting one. You need to get a 64 bit Operating system because 32 bit Operating systems only use 4gb of RAM even if you have more installed. 

Also windows 7 home premium can only use up to 16gb but pro and ultimate can use (100+gb of ram not that you need that).

(I would recommend Windows 7 Pro 64 bit edition)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Final thoughts I can not stress this enough make sure what you are buying is compatible with that you have!!!!!! Research People Research. Do not just buy everything and hope it goes together Google or YouTube it most likely people will have and answer. (or just PM me and I will look for you)

Here are some Video Tutorials for people to look at:

Part one:

Part two

Part three

If you want me to make you a custom computer parts list for you to buy be it a budget build or not just send me a PM :3

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is about all you need to know about building your own PC. I hope my guide will help clear some things up for people. If I missed anything comment and I will fix it. :3

:gsd:

MWgVp.png

#2 Buns

Buns

The Fiber Crusader

• Legendary Members
  • 1,942 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Warm Bnus
  • LocationInstallation 00
14             2                     

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I recently got a new case for my computer and I am planning on moving all of my components to this new case(along with a new PSU and GPU). The case I currently have is a Mini tower and I am upgrading to a Medium tower. What if my motherboard doesn't fit? Is there anything I can do to make it fit? 

gallery_88375_757_102964.jpg

#3 VinWarrior

VinWarrior

343 Guilty Spark

• Dedicated Members
  • 1,494 posts
Heroic
7          2                              

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Uh uh... So... Much... Info... Put the motherboard... Into the Case... Then press... Select... I CAN'T DO IT.

*Buys an Alienware PC*

Posted Image

#4 Pbrabbit

Pbrabbit

The Pbrabbit

• Dedicated Members
  • 524 posts
Dedicated
  • Gamertag:The Pbrabbit
  • LocationUSA
   3    2    2            

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Wow. Lots of information. To much information.  Thanks for the guide though GSD.

73qtZJN.gif

#5 GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

• Community Moderators
  • 715 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationClassified
11    4       2    2            

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I recently got a new case for my computer and I am planning on moving all of my components to this new case(along with a new PSU and GPU). The case I currently have is a Mini tower and I am upgrading to a Medium tower. What if my motherboard doesn't fit? Is there anything I can do to make it fit? 

If the case is rated for bigger motherboards you can usually put a smaller one into it. PM me what case you are getting ant I will make sure that your stuff will fit.

MWgVp.png

#6 Spyro

Spyro

The Arbiter

• Dedicated Members
  • 398 posts
Dedicated
  • Gamertag:DragonMonday7
  • LocationThe Wall
   6    4    5            

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

I feel that I am somehow to blame for this threads existence...

spyrosig_zps9caec0fe.png

Thanks Vitamin!! :D

#7 Buns

Buns

The Fiber Crusader

• Legendary Members
  • 1,942 posts
Heroic
14             2                     

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

If the case is rated for bigger motherboards you can usually put a smaller one into it. PM me what case you are getting ant I will make sure that your stuff will fit.

Nah turns out the mobo fit just fine but thanks for helping!!

This guide is really good maybe it should be a sticky + I'll be bookmarking this for later use. 

#8 Eqwinoxe

Eqwinoxe

Prophet of Truth

• Trusted Members
  • 305 posts
Trusted
  • Gamertag:Puhtehdough
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hmm...So, I put the GPU in the RAM slot? Got it.  :sofa:

MqBdy1j.gif

#9 Dog

Dog

The Idea Dog

• Banned
  • 1,161 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:WhiteDevil188
  • LocationNew York
2    7             2                  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

I would like to mention that thermal compound (thermal paste) is not that expensive. I have bought tons in the past for 2$ and got over 50 packets of thermal paste.

-Learn From Your Mistakes- Do not Repeat The Past-

Posted Image

#10 Mayh3m

Mayh3m

Instagram: acrossmedia.jp

• Legendary Members
  • 3,459 posts
Legendary
  • Gamertag:Total Mayh3m
  • LocationSomewhere Roaming the Earth
   9       3    2          2                              

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Great guide GSD, thanks for the help as well! I appreciate it! I'll have to geta  gaming PC up here soon. ;)

BvQbWbKIcAIqRwH.jpg

Luke 22:67 “If You are the Christ, tell us.”
But He said to them, “If I tell you, you will by no means believe.

#11 Zelda

Zelda

343 Guilty Spark

• Dedicated Members
  • 603 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:ii Zelda
  • LocationHeber Springs, Arkansas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have a better idea. :yes

If I need something fixed on my laptop, then I am just going to mail the laptop to you, Shep. :P

:stuart:

#12 Silent Orbis

Silent Orbis

Venom Snake

• Dedicated Members
  • 527 posts
Dedicated
  • Gamertag:Dezert Fuze
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

If I ever get my own computer, it'll definitely be either getting Alienware (I know, overpriced, but I like the lights), or make my own. It'd definitely be better than my Pentium 4 Dell with Windows XP, which can barely run Steam. xD

gallery_29121_513_2552.png

#13 Buns

Buns

The Fiber Crusader

• Legendary Members
  • 1,942 posts
Heroic
14             2                     

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

If I ever get my own computer, it'll definitely be either getting Alienware (I know, overpriced, but I like the lights), or make my own. It'd definitely be better than my Pentium 4 Dell with Windows XP, which can barely run Steam. xD

You can build a computer better then Alienware with lights and still be cheaper. You just gotta know what you're buying. 

#14 тυcкєя

тυcкєя

Divergent

• Dedicated Members
  • 608 posts
Trusted
  • Gamertag:Kool Halo Kitty
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

Great guide Shep. A lot of useful information. Thanks ;)!

coollogo_com-19464562.png

#15 The Stig

The Stig

343 Guilty Spark

• Dedicated Members
  • 596 posts
Dedicated
  • Gamertag:USATOPGEARUSA
  • LocationNorth Eastern America

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Great guide my friend, Although from my experience, my brother and I found that an SSD drive is superior. That alone made a computer my father had which was a  dinosaur, boot like lighting... It had a 2003 motherboard, a Pentium 4 processor, only 512 MB of RAM and less than 1 gig of memory, and the operating system was still Windows XP basic 32 bit... It took it over 4 minutes to boot up and load... And just by cleaning it thoroughly inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, and compressed air, and them putting some thermal paste and a SSD drive, it booted up in less than a 26 seconds... And now on our old computer that were bringing into this century (don't wanna post the specs yet as it is still a work in progress) it made it go from a 21 second boot time to a 8 second boot time, but now with windows 8.1 it is now less than 5 seconds!

SSD's are the way too go. SSD's are the future!

thestiglyingdown.png

#16 GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

• Community Moderators
  • 715 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationClassified
11    4       2    2            

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Great guide my friend, Although from my experience, my brother and I found that an SSD drive is superior. That alone made a computer my father had which was a  dinosaur, boot like lighting... It had a 2003 motherboard, a Pentium 4 processor, only 512 MB of RAM and less than 1 gig of memory, and the operating system was still Windows XP basic 32 bit... It took it over 4 minutes to boot up and load... And just by cleaning it thoroughly inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, and compressed air, and them putting some thermal paste and a SSD drive, it booted up in less than a 26 seconds... And now on our old computer that were bringing into this century (don't wanna post the specs yet as it is still a work in progress) it made it go from a 21 second boot time to a 8 second boot time, but now with windows 8.1 it is now less than 5 seconds!

SSD's are the way too go. SSD's are the future!

For $50-$60 you can get a 1tb HDD. A 1tb SSD will run you $500-$600. SSD are the future but for now they are too expensive to get a big one. That is why a HDD is the way to go until they drop the prices. :3

MWgVp.png

#17 Mordred

Mordred

The Knight of Rebellion

• Dedicated Members
  • 993 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:TheSirLagalott
  • LocationBehind my Sofa
10       19    2          2                  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

great guide GSD but how can you build a computer you have paws

CB81XOg.gif

#18 GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

• Community Moderators
  • 715 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationClassified
11    4       2    2            

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

great guide GSD but how can you build a computer you have paws

It is so easy even I can build it with paws :dog:

MWgVp.png

#19 Elite

Elite

Sergeant Johnson

• Trusted Members
  • 341 posts
Trusted
  • Gamertag:just don't...
  • LocationBerk

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Also be careful of the heatsink size. :3

There's plenty of big bunnies out there and some are so huge that they'll overlap RAM sockets.

Also make sure that if you have two pairs of different coloured RAM sockets, either put two cards in one colour or four cards in both colour, don't have one card in one colour and another in a different colour.

I forgot why. But it is better.

*Buys an Alienware PC*

HERETIC. BURN THE HERETIC!

Also guide on installing RAID 0 and RAID 1 for these computer building newbies. :3

Or become a master and RAID 24 SSDs! *evil face*

For $50-$60 you can get a 1tb HDD. A 1tb SSD will run you $500-$600. SSD are the future but for now they are too expensive to get a big one. That is why a HDD is the way to go until they drop the prices. :3

When installing Windows you can partition a space just for Windows on an SSD.

Alternatively, use your SSD as C drive and only put Windows and start-up stuffz on it, like your auto-update, security software and such. Then for things like Steam, games and software such as Office, Adobe and that, chuck that onto a 1.0/1.5 terabyte hard drive.

You'll get super duper fast time to boot Windows and to be able to log in.

Heehee, if you then get 2 of the same SSDs and a RAID array for performance, you'll boot so fast that you'll be hurled into the back of the room at the sheer seconds it takes to boot. :3

toothlessheadturn.gif

Find me on Steam here.

#20 GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

GermanShepherdD

• Community Moderators
  • 715 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationClassified
11    4       2    2            

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

When installing Windows you can partition a space just for Windows on an SSD.

Alternatively, use your SSD as C drive and only put Windows and start-up stuffz on it, like your auto-update, security software and such. Then for things like Steam, games and software such as Office, Adobe and that, chuck that onto a 1.0/1.5 terabyte hard drive.

You'll get super duper fast time to boot Windows and to be able to log in.

Heehee, if you then get 2 of the same SSDs and a RAID array for performance, you'll boot so fast that you'll be hurled into the back of the room at the sheer seconds it takes to boot. :3

This is true but then you have to buy a SSD and a HDD when you only need to have a HDD. The SSD is optional. :3

MWgVp.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users