The Walking Dead: Season Two – Hopes And Fears

Akali

walkingdeadtease2_610.jpg

Telltale recently released season two’s first episode, All That Remains, and it left plenty of hints for what Clementine’s about to face. Using all I know about The Walking Dead’s unfair world and its ability to shock, I dissected the opener to share my hopes and fears about what’s on the horizon.

Spoilers ahead!!!, especially regarding season two’s first episode.

Christa’s Future

christatwd610.jpg

Many of us had a feeling Christa and Omid would be back for season two, but Omid’s departure within the opener's first minutes was heartbreaking. Since then, we’ve seen a different Christa; one that’s defeated. Then Clementine and Christa got separated when a group of survivors attacked Christa. My gut tells me Christa is still alive, although the screams and gunfire during that sequence are definitely there to cast doubt. I’m hoping Christa’s still alive, because she needs to find something...or someone to live for again. I believe that’s Clementine.

Not to mention, Christa who was pregnant when the episode began, didn’t have any child in sight when the episode flashed forward well over a year. This is an absence that needs further explanation. Did she miscarry? Could she not handle having a child that reminded her of Omid? Did something happen to the child? The zombie apocalypse is full of bleak possibilities, especially when it comes to children. I fear what happened, but I need to know. That’s part of why I’m confident we haven’t seen the last of Christa. And when she does surface, how will she handle Clementine joining a new group? I see conflict abound in the future.

The Truth About Sarah

Seeing Clementine interact with another child was refreshing, but something felt off about Sarah. At first, I chalked it up to loneliness and not having another kid around, but then Sarah referred to Clementine as the same age as her. That was red flag number one, since Sarah’s clearly much older. Then, her father dropped some hints to Clementine about how Sarah’s “not like her.” Basically, saying she doesn’t know the horrors of the world and it would absolutely break her. I find it hard to believe Sarah is ignorant to what’s going on, but it did get me thinking that Sarah is facing something. Maybe she has a developmental delay or it’s the product of overprotective parenting, but more is there than Telltale is letting on. I’d love for Clementine to get to the bottom of it and teach Sarah some survival skills, because I do worry about Sarah’s fate. If she can’t protect herself, she’s a goner. And I’d hate to see Clementine have to see another young fatality. After all, Duck’s death was hard enough.

Rebecca’s Revenge

Clementine uncovered some damaging information about Rebecca’s baby daddy. It may not be her significant other, Alvin’s child. I feel bad for the guy, considering he seems like a good soul. But if Rebecca is so worried about what’s to be uncovered when the baby is born, it means the baby must be a different race than Alvin. Is it someone in the group, or someone else she met along the way? Rebecca has more to her story, but she is also one of the most selfish and uncompassionate characters we’ve encountered. This makes me wonder what she’s capable of, especially if she’s aware Clementine knows the truth. If she’s that heartless to Clementine already, she could do something unspeakable to her. I hope Clementine’s smart enough to stay out of her way.

Luke As Lee’s Substitute

Was I the only one who felt like Luke and Clementine were bonding way too fast? Something didn’t feel right about it, especially since Luke did a total flip flop from when Clementine first met him. I know that Clementine has to learn to trust others again, but I don’t think he’s the right person, even if I dig Scott Porter’s voice acting. We don’t know much about Luke and neither does Clementine, so it’s reasonable to be on guard. I just don’t want him to be a substitute for Lee, because nobody can replace Lee. In fact, if Clementine does have another adult who helps her make it in the world, I’d prefer it be a female character, whether it be Christa or someone new entirely. It’d be a nice change of pace from Lee and wouldn’t feel like the same archetype.

Nick Versus Pete

That last moment in episode one had you choosing to help one or the other before they were overrun by zombies. I don’t think the future looks as hopeful for Pete as it does Nick, but I’d hate to see Pete go so soon as he was starting to take Clementine under his wing. Pete is obviously the one you want on your side when facing zombies, as Nick has proven he’s not the best in high-pressure situations. However, Nick’s story is more engaging, as he lost his mother to zombies. Clementine needs someone to confide in and who knows what she’s going through. Nick could be an asset in that way. No matter who you choose, Nick had a better chance of surviving, so let’s hope at least he sticks around.

More Returning Characters

Seeing Christa and Omid was a great throwback to season one, but I’d like to see a couple more familiar faces. Last season’s Molly went off on her own, so there’s a possibility she’s still alive and could turn up. People still debate if Kenny’s sacrifice ended in death, since we didn’t see it on screen. I wouldn’t rule out previous characters appearing as zombies either. My hope is that if you didn’t shoot Lee, Clementine doesn’t have to see him as a zombie. Seeing her parents as zombies was tough enough.

Clementine In Peril

clementineshed610.jpg

Clementine's safety is by far the biggest fear and something Telltale forces you to face when you enter each episode. The biggest question is: Will she survive? Would Telltale really make it so she won’t? Telltale has proved they’re following Robert Kirkman’s (TWD creator) vision, by not being afraid to kill a child. The rules aren’t bent for anyone.

When we ended the last episode, lots of people were massacred, even a thief Clementine and Christa faced earlier. Somebody has an agenda and is up to no good. Something tells me it’s connected to something the new group hinted at earlier when Clementine first arrived. They were very suspicious that somebody had “sent” her. Even after that, they danced around being fearful about some other survivors, which also begs the question: How do we even know if the current group Clementine is with is safe? What if they did something they’re not proud of to survive and that’s why they’re being targeted? Regardless, the signs are all there that something isn’t right, and we’re only just seeing the beginning.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/29/the-walking-dead-season-two-hopes-and-fears.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

• Like 2