Why does Everyone Hate On Sprint ?

TheMightyLlama1

Ever since Halo: Reach came out, every body hated on the Armor Abilities, moslty Armor Lock and Sprint. I could understand Armor Lock, but why Sprint ? It just makes you run faster, so why hate it ? All of FPS have it now, so why hate on it ? Some say it even ruined MatchMaking. I just don't get it. :o

• Like 1

Well everyone just wants to make that dumb comparison between Halo and CoD just because they both have Sprint...

Personally I like it better with Sprint. I mean that's how Multiplayer is nowadays. It had to happen sooner or later, so why not now.

I hated how we ALL moved at walking speed in Halo 3, and Reach partially, and thought..."Why the hell would Super Soldiers be walking around at normal speed when they could be running all over the f*cking place."

• Like 2

Hello Mighty Lama, I will try to answer your question the best I can. 

In Halo Reach people started hating Sprint because of five fundamental things...

1. It made Halo Feel like it was becoming a Copy of Call Of Duty.

2. It made tactics that worked in previous halos, no longer viable.

3. It let players escape fights/duels/battles and get away when they should have or would have died in normal circumstances.

4. It let less skilled players get to power weapons quicker with the push of a button.

5. And lastly it added a new noob tactic, called "The Double Melee". Someone would sprint up to you before you could even have time to react and melee you twice, and that was the end of you. This also made Sprint+Energy Sword a deadly combination and according to some, overpowered.

Halo 4 fixed some of these, but in doing so it also replaced some with new ones...

1. Sprint cannot be disabled in custom games, without cheating or modding.

2. Everyone has sprint on-top of having another armor ability.

3. Sprint lasts much longer before you run out of it, and there is no delay for sprint as soon as you just finished sprinting. In Reach you had to wait until the Armor ability dial reset before you could sprint agian.

But it did improve over Reachs Sprint in that...

1. You now come out of sprint, and stop sprinting when you are taking damage. Preventing less skilled players from escaping death and fleeing the scene.

2. The overall mechanics to sprint are more balanced.

3. Now that everyone has it, it makes it more fair in a sense.

I Hope I was of service and helped answer you question, or was of any use to you in any way. Take care now! See you around sometime my friend! 

^_^

• Like 2

are you kidding sprint is awsome?! i love how it went from an armor ability (reach) to a standard default (4). it makes it soo much easier to track down a kill or attempt to hide to recover shields and then get back and the action.

let the haters hate. if they are hating on sprint then they are hating on the entire FPS area. as Self Destruct said (post 2)

Personally I like it better with Sprint. I mean that's how Multiplayer is nowadays. It had to happen sooner or later, so why not now.

if they dont like it, let them go back to pre halo reach days (halo 1, halo 2, and halo 3) were you crept along at a snail's pace, not being able to catch flag/oddball holder's without the help of a vehicle, walking into ambushes that you could of prevented, and so on

the game is forced to make bigger maps

gives a fresh take and allows new ideas. who knows, these new maps might be the next "sandtrap", "sidewinder", and "headlong"

are you kidding sprint is awsome?! i love how it went from an armor ability (reach) to a standard default (4). it makes it soo much easier to track down a kill or attempt to hide to recover shields and then get back and the action.

let the haters hate. if they are hating on sprint then they are hating on the entire FPS area. as Self Destruct said (post 2)

if they dont like it, let them go back to pre halo reach days (halo 1, halo 2, and halo 3) were you crept along at a snail's pace, not being able to catch flag/oddball holder's without the help of a vehicle, walking into ambushes that you could of prevented, and so on

gives a fresh take and allows new ideas. who knows, these new maps might be the next "sandtrap", "sidewinder", and "headlong"

yeah new ideas for a new game and not a franchise that as it looks goes down the drain. you can't play any of the halo 1,2,3 arena style maps on 4 because of sprint alone its game breaking for this game. But if this is the direction halo wants to take all good gotta try new ideas even if you fail or succed.

I think a very big part of the reason why a lot of players don't like Sprint is because it takes away a lot of the emphasis on map control and standing your ground in a fight. It's very frustrating to work hard to take control of a key point on a map, only to have your enemies regroup and attack very quickly because they're able to get back to that area of the map within a few seconds of respawning. This is particularly bad paired with instant respawn: it may seem like making excuses, but I can honestly say that perhaps as many as a fifth of my deaths are due to opponents I've just killed being able to get back to my position and attack again before my shields have recharged - or on some smaller maps or with bad spawns, before they've even started to recharge. In a game with recharging health, an opponent should never be in a position to attack you until enough time has passed that your health has fully recharged, and it's sloppy design that allows this to happen so frequently.

The fact that a lot of players choose to run away while under attack is also pretty frustrating, meaning you're wasting four or five shots on an opponent only for them to be able to get back to full health simply because of short sightlines and Sprinting. It's even worse with the heavily reduced reserve ammunition in Halo 4. Ideally, Sprint should really be about mobility - getting you from point A to B as fast as possible, rather than to escape combat.

Perhaps the biggest issue though is just the way it affects level design. Without Sprint, you have to design for two speeds when creating a map: running and sneaking. You want a few enclosed or narrow spaces where players can more easily sneak around to catch opponents off-guard, and wider, more open spaces where they can run around and get straight to work with their weapons. Once you put Sprinting in, there's a whole extra set of things to consider: whereabouts do you want them to be using Sprint, where can they use Sprint to break the flow or more easily perform trick jumps, do you use jumps which require the use of Sprint to be successful, what happens if they start using Sprint in areas of the map where you weren't expecting it and it's far too effective, etc. So while Sprint opens up a lot of possibilities, like every mechanic if it's not properly considered, it can do a lot more harm than good in a game.

• Like 3

Sprint has completely changed the flow of gameplay. As red said, players can swiftly travel across an entire map at ease. 343i specifically stated that they wanted to make gameplay of halo 4 very fast paced, and sprint does just that. It gets players back into the action as quickly as possible, but it becomes quite a bother when it is used to escape from a firefight

• Like 1

Sprint has completely changed the flow of gameplay. As red said, players can swiftly travel across an entire map at ease. 343i specifically stated that they wanted to make gameplay of halo 4 very fast paced, and sprint does just that. It gets players back into the action as quickly as possible, but it becomes quite a bother when it is used to escape from a firefight

Lets just hope that they dont reduce the kill time even further as a way of balancing that out.  Although i assume that part of their thinking behind 6 second shield regeneration. 

Extra ammo and maybe an extra grenade would be a better solution, that way wasting a few shots isnt quite so bad and that extra grenade for getting them from behind rocks etc

• 3 years later...

The reason some dislike it is because it wasn't required to make the original Trilogy and Halo 3 ODST good or fun. Sprint now doesn't improve game play, it just makes pace seem fast, yet Halo 2 had a similar pace as Halo 5, yet it is more fun in my opinion without sprint.

• 1 year later...