Building the Destiny E3 Reveal

Choot 'em

If you're like me, then you've probably watched the PS4 Destiny reveal video a hundred times, looking for any detail you may have missed the first time you watched.

Watch AGAIN as 3 of Bungie's artist add their commentary to the video as it progresses.

Commentary by:

Ryan Ellis, Technical Art Director
Marke Pedersen, Environment Art Lead
Michael Zak, Senior Art Lead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h3G3V5PCJbk

(video courtesy of Bungie.net)

• Like 6

I have no doubt that Destiny will be an incredible game. Bungie has such quality personnel and experience coupled with the commitment to their fans. They are taking the time to get Destiny right an I believe it will show in the game. I preordered soon after it became available and follow every bit of news about it.

Thanks for the post Choot 'em.

Jester, don't wait for a Special Edition, order now. I will take any copy you don't want, lol.

• Like 5

Destiny is the future of gaming as we know it. A spectacular sandbox with nearly unlimited potential, it will shine like no other game ever has or will in the near future. Preordered for da PS4!!! Haters gonna hate!

• Like 2

Will I buy Destiny? Probably so.

Will I pre-order it?  Probably not.. we will see.

Do I buy all of the hype? Not 100%

Opinion on Graphics? They look slike a re-modified version of Halo Reach. (Compare player stance, player weapon holds, gun types, gun reticles, gun fire rates. (the first weapon shoots 3 round bursts just like the BR.)

Opinion on gameplay? Looks like they took the Halo Reach scenic ideas, and replaced Spartans with a different player model.

I am convinced Halo Reach was just a test for Destiny. Am I thrilled that Bungie screwed Halo over in Halo Reach? Heck no. Bungie knowingly and purposefully pushed Halo in a different direction that 343i Probably just figured they should follow that pattern. With the collapse of Halo, it makes Destiny look all that much better. We are all so excited about Destiny.. but don't be surprised if you think it looks familiar.

//End_Rant

tl;dr:

Destiny looks ok.

Bungie Sabotaged Halo.

343 thought Bungie pushed them in right direction.

Halos collapse makes Destiny look better than what it will be.

Yes, I did watch the video last night. I probably will buy Destiny... but I am not buying all the hype.

Hate all you want on this comment, it is my honest opinion of what I personally see. 

• Like 1

I did enjoy seeing the vid as it opened more questions about destiny but no much answers I guess it builds more hype but I was overall disappointed in bungie day as no new info came out that was worth mention really and I think now I have seen enough of that same demo and I hope bungie will show a new one at some point :thumbsup:

Opinion on Graphics? They look slike a re-modified version of Halo Reach. (Compare player stance, player weapon holds, gun types, gun reticles, gun fire rates. (the first weapon shoots 3 round bursts just like the BR.)

Opinion on gameplay? Looks like they took the Halo Reach scenic ideas, and replaced Spartans with a different player model.

I am convinced Halo Reach was just a test for Destiny. Am I thrilled that Bungie screwed Halo over in Halo Reach? Heck no. Bungie knowingly and purposefully pushed Halo in a different direction that 343i Probably just figured they should follow that pattern. With the collapse of Halo, it makes Destiny look all that much better. We are all so excited about Destiny.. but don't be surprised if you think it looks familiar.

//End_Rant

tl;dr:

Destiny looks ok.

Bungie Sabotaged Halo.

Yes, I did watch the video last night. I probably will buy Destiny... but I am not buying all the hype.

Hate all you want on this comment, it is my honest opinion of what I personally see. 

bungie did not sabotage halo or maybe they did but the reasons for doing some of the stuff in reach was a test for example that space battle mission was a play test for large players vs AI in destiny but I do think bungie in the days of reach did still care about halo but maybe not as much

//End_Rant

tl;dr:

Destiny looks ok.

Bungie Sabotaged Halo.

Bungie didn't sabotage Halo. At least not purposely. Everyone knows that the Halo 3 days were the days that MLG was just tops and when Reach was totally different gameplay with Armor Abilities and such, the Halo Community felt its heart break. What Bungie wanted to do with Reach, however, was make the game they always wanted Halo to be before their contract with Microsoft was up. Reach was what Bungie intended Halo to be like unfortunately. So, to relate this to the topic at hand now :lol: I think that Destiny will play like a Halo game. It'll play like a sandbox version of Halo except instead of Armor Abilities you'll have magic. That's not to say that this won't be a great game. This game, to me, is far better than anything we've seen so far at E3. And this is Bungie we're talking about so you know they know how to make an incredible story. There's too much potential in this game for it not to be fulfilled. Bungie's been working really hard and is still doing so to make this game out of your mind fantastic and the size of the sandbox is just... Wow.

So that's pretty much every thought I have on Destiny right now... :hrhr:

• Like 1

Bungie didn't sabotage Halo. At least not purposely. Everyone knows that the Halo 3 days were the days that MLG was just tops and when Reach was totally different gameplay with Armor Abilities and such, the Halo Community felt its heart break. What Bungie wanted to do with Reach, however, was make the game they always wanted Halo to be before their contract with Microsoft was up. Reach was what Bungie intended Halo to be like unfortunately. So, to relate this to the topic at hand now :lol: I think that Destiny will play like a Halo game. It'll play like a sandbox version of Halo except instead of Armor Abilities you'll have magic. That's not to say that this won't be a great game. This game, to me, is far better than anything we've seen so far at E3. And this is Bungie we're talking about so you know they know how to make an incredible story. There's too much potential in this game for it not to be fulfilled. Bungie's been working really hard and is still doing so to make this game out of your mind fantastic and the size of the sandbox is just... Wow.

So that's pretty much every thought I have on Destiny right now... :hrhr:

That is all you hear as a consumer of that product... a fan of that company(no offense). We hear what they tell us and buy into it like kids with Christmas candy. The point is, Bungie wanted to look like the good guys coming out of Microsoft. So they "Said" that this was everything they wanted Halo to be.

But I disagree. I think they took a page out of the political playbook and simply deceived everyone into believing that statement. It's not hard. If Halo was at it's peak with Halo 3 then why, if they listen to their community, would they place loadouts, reticle bloom, and Sprint and other AA's in Halo?

These simple things divided the community. 

343i was forced to continue with this... why? Because all the fans they had left from the aftermath of Reach were the ones who "accepted" the changes. Unfortunately  all the faithful Halo fans of old, form Halo CE, 2, and 3 died off due to "changes" to gameplay....  and drive to get better, the point of getting better at the game, was removed. What ever happened to out BR'ing? What ever happened to out strafing the other guy to get that last shot? It was rendered useless in Reach.

With the popularity of GoW, Asassins Creed, and Call of Duty growing stronger... people still chose to play Halo 3. People still said it was the better game but yet Bungie still decided to change Halo to something it was not. If people think Bungie did not talk to Activision before they joined them after the separation from MS, then I think they would likely be wrong.

Bungie knew what made Halo different from the rest.... and they turned it into exactly the same as the other FPS.

Simple politics. Make one side look terrible, and make the other look amazing.

Which leads me to my point.....

Destiny Vs. Halo 4 

Which game looks more appealing? 

Bungie had the upper hand in this divorce as they had the other side in their hands before they passed it over.

EDIT: Will Destiny be better than Halo 4? certainly. But I am not buying into the hype of this game.

• Like 2

//End_Rant

tl;dr:

Destiny looks ok.

Bungie Sabotaged Halo.

From the beginning...

So you WILL buy Destiny but NOT pre-order it? Why? If your opinion about what you think Bungie did is that strong, why bother with their next installment? It seems you hold a grudge against Bungie which, in all honesty, you're not the only one. Do I think Bungie sabotaged Halo by making Reach? No I do not. I actually enjoyed certain aspects of Reach that Bungie changed.

As for your opinion on Destiny being a "re-modified version of Reach", I don't see the similarities.

• The player's stance looks like any FPS stance (so I guess that would be considered similar).
  • Weapon holds?? How else are you suppose to hold a weapon?
  • Weapon types? Destiny's weapons look nothing like Reach's weapons.
  • Gun reticles? The reticles remind me more of something from Call of Duty. Reach's weapons that did offer reticle on zoom (DMR, Sniper, etc.) did not have the futuristic look of the reticles seen in the Destiny gameplay.
  • 3-round burst firerate? BR was not in Reach. Many FPS titles feature weapons with the 3-round burst.
  • Scenes look nothing like Reach.

As for me...

Destiny looks amazing.

Bungie did not sabotage Halo.

343 chose their own direction to make Halo less appealing.

Of course 343's direction with Halo makes Destiny look better.

Thank you for watching the video and leaving your comments. I AM buying in to all of the hype. I HAVE pre-ordered Destiny. I WILL NOT play Halo 5(or whatever 343 will name it) on the Xbox One. I DO support Bungie and the direction they are taking their product.

...but most of all Mayh3m... I still love you man!! :heart:  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

That is all you hear as a consumer of that product... a fan of that company(no offense). We hear what they tell us and buy into it like kids with Christmas candy. The point is, Bungie wanted to look like the good guys coming out of Microsoft. So they "Said" that this was everything they wanted Halo to be.

But I disagree. I think they took a page out of the political playbook and simply deceived everyone into believing that statement. It's not hard. If Halo was at it's peak with Halo 3 then why, if they listen to their community, would they place loadouts, reticle bloom, and Sprint and other AA's in Halo?

These simple things divided the community. 

343i was forced to continue with this... why? Because all the fans they had left from the aftermath of Reach were the ones who "accepted" the changes. Unfortunately  all the faithful Halo fans of old, form Halo CE, 2, and 3 died off due to "changes" to gameplay....  and drive to get better, the point of getting better at the game, was removed. What ever happened to out BR'ing? What ever happened to out strafing the other guy to get that last shot? It was rendered useless in Reach.

With the popularity of GoW, Asassins Creed, and Call of Duty growing stronger... people still chose to play Halo 3. People still said it was the better game but yet Bungie still decided to change Halo to something it was not. If people think Bungie did not talk to Activision before they joined them after the separation from MS, then I think they would likely be wrong.

Bungie knew what made Halo different from the rest.... and they turned it into exactly the same as the other FPS.

Simple politics. Make one side look terrible, and make the other look amazing.

Which leads me to my point.....

Destiny Vs. Halo 4 

Which game looks more appealing? 

Bungie had the upper hand in this divorce as they had the other side in their hands before they passed it over.

EDIT: Will Destiny be better than Halo 4? certainly. But I am not buying into the hype of this game.

I am sure bungie did care about halo reach yes maybe not as much as the halo 3 days but I think bungie still did care for the game and yes maybe bungie did sabotage halo or maybe this was what bungie wanted out of halo or maybe halo reach was a big beta for destiny see how fans would react to armour abilities etc and see if they could pull off big AI battles they did as shown in the halo reach campaign space battle thing but I do think destiny will be good much better than any halo game 343i can put out but just rember what bungie showed was maybe pre alpha or alpha or early beta who knows what the final game will be just wait and see :thumbsup:

post-15182-0-44185500-1373399664_thumb.png

First picture at the top, You can see the similarities in the reticles.

Other four pictures. Halo Reach, and Destinys characters both use deep weapon pointings, whereas COD and Crysis are both higher weapon holds.

These are the similarities I am pointing out.

If your opinion about what you think Bungie did is that strong, why bother with their next installment?

I don't like that they ruined Halo before 343i even could. 

I stated I would buy the game, but not pre-order it. Simply because I do have an interest in the game. My feelings about bungie do not change the fact that I am interested in the game. I am just not hyped up so much about it.

How can you not say That (especially the beginning of the level played above in the video) the map they used there does not resemble Halo Reach? It especially resembles Boneyard from the Invasion gametype. 

0.jpg

Compare color scheme to Destiny stance picture.

attachicon.gifDestinyHalo.png

Other four pictures. Halo Reach, and Destinys characters both use deep weapon pointings, whereas COD and Crysis are both higher weapon holds.

I stated I would buy the game, but not pre-order it. Simply because I do have an interest in the game. My feelings about bungie do not change the fact that I am interested in the game. I am just not hyped up so much about it.

How can you not say That (especially the beginning of the level played above in the video) the map they used there does not resemble Halo Reach? It especially resembles Boneyard from the Invasion gametype. 

0.jpg

Ok, now I can see a resemblance in the reticle now but the stances in ALL games shown look the same to me especially from close to the same angle (which was extremely difficult). *IN MY OPINION* the stance in Destiny is unique to itself.

post-9451-0-91244500-1373404059.jpg post-9451-0-84056600-1373404001.jpg post-9451-0-03013700-1373403993.jpg post-9451-0-89964900-1373404025.png

Now for color scheme?? You're actually criticizing Bungie for using a similar "color scheme" that happens to be correct for the environment?? :question: The level in Reach is a mountainous/rocky terrain which is environmentally correct in appearance. The level in Destiny is a century's old post-war highway with destroyed and rusted vehicles, which also happen to be a reddish/orange tint but is also environmentally correct in appearance. The tannish color is also correct for the dried grass/weeds that's swaying in the breeze.

I also disagree that you think Bungie "ruined Halo before 343 could". :)

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDestinyHalo.png

0.jpg

well in one of bungie weekly mail sacks they did say they are taking elements from other shooters and putting them in destiny but I do admit does look great and yes maybe a little bit like halo but also a lot like other games like some elements from call of duty are in there some battlefield perhaps even games like WOW may has some elements in there but I do disagree that bungie did ruin halo before 343i could as 343i had a choice to change it make it more like halo but they did not if they wanted to change it they would have :thumbsup:

Now for color scheme?? You're actually criticizing Bungie for using a similar "color scheme" that happens to be correct for the environment?? :question: The level in Reach is a mountainous/rocky terrain which is environmentally correct in appearance. The level in Destiny is a century's old post-war highway with destroyed and rusted vehicles, which also happen to be a reddish/orange tint but is also environmentally correct in appearance. The tannish color is also correct for the dried grass/weeds that's swaying in the breeze.

I also disagree that you think Bungie "ruined Halo before 343 could". :)

Not really the color I am complaining about... It is a slightly improved version of the textures in the terrains. Not much is different from the Reach Textures and the Textures and "appearance" of Destiny. My statement about color scheme did kind of point to that... I was trying to point out the textures in the two pictures that looked alike.

In my opinion, the textures look MORE than just slightly improved. Considering it's a pre-alpha/alpha build. Imagine what Bungie will be able to achieve texturally with the amount of time remaining until release.

Of course my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, lmao! That could explain why we're seeing it differently. :)

In my opinion, the textures look MORE than just slightly improved. Considering it's a pre-alpha/alpha build. Imagine what Bungie will be able to achieve texturally with the amount of time remaining until release.

Of course my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, lmao! That could explain why we're seeing it differently. :)

And then imagine the overall graphics/textures once it gets re-released on the Xbox One/PS4!

I personally don't see any Reach here. Just some really nicely developed environments with some unique looking player models with all sorts of different color pallets and holding weapons like humans hold weapons..........weapons that look nothing like anything I have seen in Halo. The colors are all rich, bright and crisp. 

Destiny_12.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_11.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_24.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_40.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_19.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_10.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_35.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_36.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_38.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_37.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_09.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_05.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_15.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_39.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_07.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_08.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_16.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_13.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_17.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_14.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_01.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_41.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_42.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_04.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_18.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_23.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_33.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_31.png?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_20.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_21.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_34.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_32.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_22.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_03.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

Destiny_02.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

• Like 1

Those screens really do look pretty amazing. I personally like this one...

Beautiful clouds, bright sunny sky, interactive birds, the highly detailed vines intertwined with the vehicle, the wall of old Russia... and not to mention the Hunter's boots look amazing! :)

• Like 1

I agree Choot 'em, but these are some of my favorites.

Notice the rich colors and texture of the fabrics in the cape and gloves along with the lightly illuminated markings on the upper arm band........

Destiny_01.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

........the color variety, textures and detail of fabrics here and the 3 dimensional render of the holographic projection on the face plate........

Destiny_42.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

....and finally, this images showing the 3, yes 3, weapons carried by this class.

Destiny_04.jpg?cv=3983585466&av=28500838

• Like 2

Those screens really do look pretty amazing. I personally like this one...

Beautiful clouds, bright sunny sky, interactive birds, the highly detailed vines intertwined with the vehicle, the wall of old Russia... and not to mention the Hunter's boots look amazing! :)

after looking at those images I can say the game look absolutely stunning I cannot wait to see what the final game looks like  :thumbsup:

• Like 1