We lost DRM, but at what cost?

12 members have voted

1. 1. After reading this, did this affect you in any way?

• yes. I really wanted these features
    • well not really. I did want the features, but it's not a big deal
    • no. I could care less
    • I did want the features, but then again the DRM removal made up for it
    • still won't change my mind about getting a PS4
    • Viva La PS4!!!

Pretty much all of us were freaking out over the DRM. Now that it's gone it's A-OK right? We'll to have a policy that was worked on for YEARS to just be completely dropped in a couple hours... that's whats worrying me.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the removal, but what does this mean to the Console? Could it be anything bad? Well for some of us it is... I'll just let some articles explain this I'm way too tired to type all this crap.

quoted from: http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-3-biggest-features-we-lost-result-microsofts-180-1316783

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715

Xbox One DRM Reversal Cuts Features, Requires One-Time Connection

"Microsoft announced that it has reversed course on used games and DRM with the Xbox One. While one could interpret that as a win for consumers and journalists, Redmond, Wash.'s big 180 comes at a considerable price. Here are 3 features we're losing as a result of the switch.

1. Your games library can't be accessed from any Xbox One besides you're own: Prior to the reversal, you would have been able to play your entire games library from any Xbox One, not just yours. That will no longer be possible. Games you purchase digitally can be played from any Xbox One.

2. Disc-based games now need to be in the system to play them: Before Microsoft announced the Xbox One changes, the system was designed to allow you to play games sans disc. Not anymore. So you better take care of them, or else.

3. Downloaded games cannot be shared or resold: So much for letting someone else play your games while you're on vacation, at work or at school. While you can share your discs with anyone at will, anything you download will be bound to you.

It's possible that Microsoft can choose to resurrect some of these features in different forms or add new ones between now and the Xbox One's release. At this point though, these are the losses we're incurring as a result of the Great 180.

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever."

Okay for at least the people wanting these features... how does removing them affect you? 

Since the sharing was just a timed demo, its not that big of a loss. Its was just another trick to get you to buy the game. A trick in which Microsoft had absolutely no intention of telling the consumers until they discovered it on their own and demanded an explanation. 

But even though Microsoft said they reversed their plans and did away with the DRM, I still dont believe them. I think its just another lie they are telling just so people will buy their systems. 

Think about it, the system's have been in the making for some time now. And their being released around the holidays. Which mean's they are most likely already in development as we speak, making nearly impossible to reverse the changes they said they are making. They have less than six months to make millions of those systems, and most likely many of them are already completed. And to stop what the are doing in the middle of making of them, is more than most can hope for.

Its a huge loss of money to suddenly reverse the changes. The money it took to build those systems, and then pay the factories to make the systems, its just too much money being lost to suddenly reverse changes.  

So yes, I think its just another lie. 

• Like 2

Don't care for what we 'lost'.

I still prefer lending discs, as downloading games has never been my thing. I'm happy to take my games with me, as well as loving that feeling you have by holding the box and artwork. Same for CDs and DVDs.

I'm not big on downloading.

• Like 1

What did consumers lose?? The ability for your friends to play demos?? I don't trust M$. They reversed these restrictions to save face with the gaming community and are doing so with a "patch". What is preventing them from slowly reintroducing these restrictions over time with future patches or updates without the knowledge of the consumer??

You also STILL have to connect to the internet for the initial set-up for the patches to take affect. What about the gamers without internet connection or those that have no interest in online gaming?? They are not thinking of the ENTIRE gaming community. You plug it in only to realize you have purchased a big electronic black brick... oh wait you WILL be able to watch TV and play your SONY BluRay Discs on it! :rofl:

I'm not trying to convince anyone to NOT purchase the Xbox One only to be very skeptical about that decision! However... if you buy into the BS that M$ is throwing at you then you automatically forfeit your right to ANY complaints about the system in the future! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Since the sharing was just a timed demo, its not that big of a loss. Its was just another trick to get you to buy the game. A trick in which Microsoft had absolutely no intention of telling the consumers until they discovered it on their own and demanded an explanation. 

But even though Microsoft said they reversed their plans and did away with the DRM, I still dont believe them. I think its just another lie they are telling just so people will buy their systems. 

Think about it, the system's have been in the making for some time now. And their being released around the holidays. Which mean's they are most likely already in development as we speak, making nearly impossible to reverse the changes they said they are making. They have less than six months to make millions of those systems, and most likely many of them are already completed. And to stop what the are doing in the middle of making of them, is more than most can hope for.

Its a huge loss of money to suddenly reverse the changes. The money it took to build those systems, and then pay the factories to make the systems, its just too much money being lost to suddenly reverse changes.  

So yes, I think its just another lie. 

The Xbox One still ships with the the original policies (DRM and always online). This is why your console has to connect online just once before you can play offline. So that the Xbox One can be updated to no longer have those policies. So they will not have to recall any Xbox One that has already been assembled. :3

:gsd:

I am still not going to trust it. 

I just pray that Sony keeps their Dashboard on the PS4 just as simple as they do on the PS3. I didn't like the change that MS did with our dashboard updates. I dont want all that crap all over my screen since I have no use for it. Sony kept it clean, it was there if you wanted it, but it didn't cover the entire screen with add's to games, movies, tv, nor music. If you wanted it, you had to scroll down a certain menu. Xbox puts out backgrounds for their dashboard, but there really is no point in have a neat background if you cant see it to begin with. 

We couldn't share downloaded games before, and what we lost is the ability to pass around demos, not the full games.

We now have what is an Xbox 360 with better hardware, and that's all we ever needed.

As for whether or not they'll bring back strict DRM, I doubt they'll do that. People would stop buying XB1 games, and there would be lots of XB1's on auction sites. But I have plenty of time to find out for sure. Not even considering an XB1 until the next Halo, and that's only if it's the best Halo made so far.

I see no good in not having drm at all at losing it the Xbox is opened up so more people now available to get it and what did we lose the abily for family and friends to play a timed demo bah we did not need that and I cannot believe MS would even try to put drm in and that is why I am going for a PS4 because its a better value for money Sony is a better company better games and Sony did not put drm in the console anyway etc :thumbsup:

I was going to get one anyways. I'm not a big fan of the PS gamepad, and Microsoft has always been good to me and my family personally. We always have had great customer service. That's probably not the average testimony, but it's mine all the same. Xbox has always been my console and it always will be. I may get a PS4 in the future just for some cool exclusives, but I have a freaking HTC Windows Phone. What use is that without an Xbox? :D

• Like 3

I was going to get one anyways. I'm not a big fan of the PS gamepad, and Microsoft has always been good to me and my family personally. We always have had great customer service. That's probably not the average testimony, but it's mine all the same. Xbox has always been my console and it always will be. I may get a PS4 in the future just for some cool exclusives, but I have a freaking HTC Windows Phone. What use is that without an Xbox? :D

Microsoft has always been good to me too. Their customer service have treated me so well. And just like you "Xbox has always been my console and it always will be."  I would have gotten the X1 regardless of the changes being made or not, cause what is life without Halo? lol. Besides that though, Microsoft has always given me a good experience when it came to either Xbox, Windows, their phones, etc.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the DRM, I want to own the game I buy, the game I spent money on. I want to do whatever the hell I want to do with it. Be it used from Gamestop, trade it to a friend, or anything. Not held down by restrictions on Xbox Live.

So I won't be able to download my game to the hard-drive and play without the disk? That's... kind of a bummer. I like that with most of my games all I don't have to dig through the DVD/Game collection to find a case with the wrong disk in it. :3 I had an itch to play Reach yesterday and went through a few campaign missions without having to locate that disk.

As far as sharing downloaded games... I didn't realize that was even a thing. Huh? Everyone here has said something about it only being for timed demos. What is a timed demo? Sounds... dumb.

To be completely honest most of the announcements have just made me more confused... The biggest factors for me in order of decreasing importance will still be: What system my friends will be getting, what the exclusive titles will be, and the price of the console. The Xbox 360 was an easy choice for me, but with my friends leaning towards the PS4 I honestly don't know which one I'll be getting at this juncture.

So I won't be able to download my game to the hard-drive and play without the disk? That's... kind of a bummer. I like that with most of my games all I don't have to dig through the DVD/Game collection to find a case with the wrong disk in it. :3 I had an itch to play Reach yesterday and went through a few campaign missions without having to locate that disk.

Wow, you just saved like...what...ONE minute of your life?

You like digital content and downloadable games, huh? Well, be aware that if something happens to your HDD, if it brokes, if somehow some contents are lost (it happened to me once), you won't lose only your saves, but your entire game/s.

Wow, you just saved like...what...ONE minute of your life?

You like digital content and downloadable games, huh? Well, be aware that if something happens to your HDD, if it brokes, if somehow some contents are lost (it happened to me once), you won't lose only your saves, but your entire game/s.

I saved probably three minutes there. :P But there is no need to be mean. I've lost plenty of disks due to scratches, breaks, and demonic possession but I've never had anything bad happen to my hard drive. In my experience it is safer for me to rely on downloadable games.

I saved probably three minutes there. :P But there is no need to be mean. I've lost plenty of disks due to scratches, breaks, and demonic possession but I've never had anything bad happen to my hard drive. In my experience it is safer for me to rely on downloadable games.

take care of your disk and it never happens... i never trust downloadable stuff always errors bugs ect.

Well yes I had to install ME3 (25 GB :o ) because the disk was unreadable, but still I prefer disks to DLC. I don't know why, I like to feel the game being under my control.

I like disks too, but mostly for the disk sharing aspect. I bought the game Space Marine nearly as soon as it came out. A good buy for me (I'm addicted to Warhammer), but not that great for all my friends. It was nice to be able to share a game that my friends normally would've just passed by.

• 2 weeks later...