Will PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 Allow for Cross-Platform Gaming?

Drizzy_Dan

Rumors have been going around that there is a possibility for cross-platform gaming with the next gen consoles. For example if some players are playing Destiny on PlayStation Network and other players are playing it on Xbox Live then they'd be able to play together because they're playing the same game. Now, I don't think that they'd do this simply because of the competition between the two gaming consoles and although it'd unite a gaming community, that's not what business is about. Keep in mind that these games are being held on the same developer servers. Here's some things that others had to say:

Azaxx says, "Across PS4 and Xbox One, it has a very slim chance. It works because of being consoles, but may not happen because Sony/MS. And PC to consoles simply will not happen. Way to OP for PC to be playing."

Halo5 follower said, "well, there was a rumor that the PS3 game, Dust514, would be able to play with Xbox. However, that was just on Youtube, so the reliability of it was pretty low. If microsoft can talk to Sony then a guess things may start to happen..."

Contrary to the beliefs above Ledgend 1221 had this to say, "With Games like ESO, I'd say there's a chance it will happen. At least I hope so, it would be fun to duke out the rivalry in an online arena. PCs should remain separate, too much of a gap."

Archangel Tyrael chimed in about PC cross platforming as well as console and said, "I don't think cross platform servers will be done. Mainly for PC; PC will dominate for these various reasons:

1.) Easier and precise aiming.
2.) Modding can be done easier and hackers. This will be a serious problem.
3.) More control.
4.) Putting PC players and consoles players together would cause a lot of butthurt fanboys and unfair gameplay.

That's just for the PC. Now I am not saying it's impossible for Xbox and PS to share servers, but in my opinion, it wont happen. Xbox and PS are rival consoles. Not only that, there is already servers for Xbox and Sony; that leads me to think they will be to their own console. While, it might be nice it just wont happen and shouldn't because of the last PC reason -- even for MMO's like: TESO, and anymore that are to come."

TexHellsAngel376 has a similar belief to mine and told me, "I don't think MS and Sony will stop fighting enough to do it."

Will the dream of cross-platform gaming ever become a reality? Discuss and leave your thoughts below.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

This will be great! Especially if the Xbox One and 360 can connect to each other. I don't think it will happen though. :(

Well this is technically a different story because it's still Xbox Live. When the 360 launched, original Xbox players were able to play online with 360 players. I think this will already be able to happen.

• Like 1

Hmmm.......... That would be cool... And playing Halo 2 with other people would be cool too..... Leave PC's out of the question, PS and XBL should totally let players duke it out!

Hmmm.......... That would be cool... And playing Halo 2 with other people would be cool too..... Leave PC's out of the question, PS and XBL should totally let players duke it out!

I agree. That would be really fun and reduce the conflict between Xbox and Playstation. I doubt Microsoft and Sony will do this though. They are too competitive and I don't think they really care about their gamers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm all for this but I think both sides would lose money. If I have Destiny for PS4 and my friend has it for Xbox One, even though being able to play with eachother would be awesome, MS and Sony would lose money of 2 consoles. Since eventually you may give in, into buying the OS4 so you can play with your friend. This is just me throwing stuff up, maybe I'm not making much sense (It's 5am, I can't sleep) but it's a descent example as to why this may not happen for a long time.

As for PC I don't really have much to say about it, I hardly ever played games on it.

But, personally I'd rather play on the Playstation and leave it at that. I prefer Playstation and would rather play online with my friends on that platform. But, it's a nice idea though, just can't ever see it happening.

If this did happen what would be the point of having 2 consoles and 2 consoles is better than having just one master console. :)

I agree I would love one master console, but some people would want the two consoles or three because of the exclusives. Exclusives are the major selling points of consoles thats why people own them to play all the games. 

2 consoles means competiveness once company does this the other one does it better so the other one tries to do better ETC and excusive games that try to beat the others and the companies always trying to get on you're good side so you buy there console. :)

Edited by Ranger447

i would really like for them all to join forces and with there powers combined make the best console this planet has ever seen with PC's graphics, xbox's population and the playstations great deals gaming could become extreme and very interesting 

I doubt this will ever happen as they all run on different networks.

i would really like for them all to join forces and with there powers combined make the best console this planet has ever seen with PC's graphics, xbox's population and the playstations great deals gaming could become extreme and very interesting 

But if they all collaborated to make one platform, then there would be no competition. Competition encourages each company to make better hardware. If there was no competition, they wouldn't even need to try to be the best.

I doubt this will ever happen as they all run on different networks.

But if they all collaborated to make one platform, then there would be no competition. Competition encourages each company to make better hardware. If there was no competition, they wouldn't even need to try to be the best.

Good point. They will also keep arguing about the money. Lets face it, they don't care about their gamers as much as they say they do. They just don't want to have a bad reputation so they get more sales and more money.

Good point. They will also keep arguing about the money. Lets face it, they don't care about their gamers as much as they say they do. They just don't want to have a bad reputation so they get more sales and more money.

Yeah, but all companies want money, that's the reason they do it. This is not a bad thing. It's always been like it.

They pretty much use the competition as a way to make new games and better consoles. The competition is what keeps them motivated for more sales, and the money.

Healthy competition is good! It is what pushes each side to its limits and forces them to go far beyond them... It drives them to be the best around, and not be second best. Each-one motivating and encouraging the opposing company to try to keep up. They make each-other better. Like James Hunt and Niki Lauda. (Watch the movie "Rush" if you want to see what I really mean!).

Healthy competition is good! It is what pushes each side to its limits and forces them to go far beyond them... It drives them to be the best around, and not be second best. Each-one motivating and encouraging the opposing company to try to keep up. They make each-other better. Like James Hunt and Niki Lauda. (Watch the movie "Rush" if you want to see what I really mean!).

I never saw it as a bad thing. I am explaining why the competition keeps them improving their consoles and creating new ones and better/newer games.

• 3 weeks later...