New Info about Xbox One and used and Shared Games

Quite simply, you don't play online for 24 hours, something happens. I'm sure that because its 'always on', even if our internet cuts for about  an hour it should still be ok.

What Microsoft's argument is, is that people are already connected every day, so there isn't any harm and would emphasize connection.

dear 343 industries, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKEING GAMES FOR THE PLAYSTAITION 4 AS WELL AS XBOX 1. 

Personaly, i loved the new halo 4 and you did it INFINITLY better then bungie, but i think i and many other xbox users are switching to playstation 4 because we dont like all the bullcrap attached to the xbox 1. i love every single one of your games you make including world of tanks, and it is just a tradgidy that were going to probably never play halo or any other game by you guys for awhile.-Mr.Livingston

dear 343 industries, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKEING GAMES FOR THE PLAYSTAITION 4 AS WELL AS XBOX 1. 

Personaly, i loved the new halo 4 and you did it INFINITLY better then bungie, but i think i and many other xbox users are switching to playstation 4 because we dont like all the bullcrap attached to the xbox 1. i love every single one of your games you make including world of tanks, and it is just a tradgidy that were going to probably never play halo or any other game by you guys for awhile.-Mr.Livingston

Let it be known that this is not the 343 Industries official site and that this thread is simply to inform the readers of the sharing games policies.

• Like 1

Heh, the problem with this is that 343 was created and is owned by Microsoft Game Studios, so MS owns them.  Do you honestly believe they will make a game for the PS4?

• Like 4

Heh, the problem with this is that 343 was created and is owned by Microsoft Game Studios, so MS owns them.  Do you honestly believe they will make a game for the PS4?

yes I am sure Microsoft will let the only reason to ever by the Xbox one be multiplatform(extreme sarcasm) :thumbsup:  

Ok. a message from GameStop can't tell ****, the only way to find out is wait for the Xbox one to come out and test the theory yourself, as I have preordered it at eb games it doesn't make a huge difference between who thinks it is a theory or if it is just common knowledge. If it does have that feature I will be surprised as I watched the new generation reveal and the e3 unveil of their games. Tv he only game to look forward to for all halo fans is halo 5 which is being released on Xbox One next year.

um, the info in the email was linked from MICROSOFT themselves... I think its pretty reliable info. Also, you should leave out the bad words next time...

You're actually willing to pay $600 for it? Seriously?

Or $540 for a PS4? A console I don't won't?

The price difference really isn't that big. I just won't binge drink for a day or something. $60 is nothing, especially in AU.

Or $540 for a PS4? A console I don't won't?

The price difference really isn't that big. I just won't binge drink for a day or something. $60 is nothing, especially in AU.

it's $100 more than the US pricing, that's not something you should be so willing to support.

As usual everyone rejoices without thinking of the possible negative effect this entire retraction yas on the gaming community. The most obvious being cost of purchasing games. So now instead of everyone of your friends buying a copy of Halo 5 to play together.... Gamers can now pool their money, get the midnight release digital, and share it. Yeah.... sounds like the pricing of today will sure hold to that moronic move.....

The recent DRM policy changes for the Xbox One that Microsoft just unveiled (not-so-fondly called "Xbox 180" by many) have sparked huge discussion in many media outlets throughout the web. I have been following the story closely, as well as the new generation of consoles, and this recent policy change has really forced me to think about which next-gen console is going to end up succeeding. 

First off, many people (or at least a very vocal minority) can agree that the original DRM policies that Microsoft put in place were restricting (or eliminating) used game sales and the sharing of games, not to mention the always-online functionality that many people were opposed to. For myself and many others, these issues were not a huge point of disinterest. My internet connection is constant, albeit slow many times, I am more used to Steam and not being able to share games more than having physical media, and I don't often buy or sell my games used. 

That being said, the used game marked is still huge, lots of people don't have stable internet connections, and would also love to share all their games with others. This group of people were very vocal in their opposition of these new DRM policies that diverged so significantly from the current generation's idea on digital media and ownership of digital purchases. What happened next I, nor anyone, expected. The corporate behemoth that is Microsoft actually caved and did a full reversal on many DRM policies, keeping it akin to the Xbox 360 we know and love. 

You can share physical media, keep your console offline, sell and buy used games, everything! For those of you who follow the gaming industry (or business in general) casually or not at all, you might not be able to appreciate what an incredibly radical even this was. Not only was Microsoft completely reengeneering their platform, but they were doing so solely based on preemptive preorder numbers and social media outcry. This stuff just doesn't happen! Many engineers will be working long nights in order to enact this new (or old) direction Microsoft is taking. 

Now, you'd think that all this would spark a very positive reaction from myself and many others. In most cases it did. I, however, like to play devil's advocate. I'm actually kind of bummed out that Microsoft backed down and changed policies, and I'll tell you why.

Physical media is going to become obsolete in the near future. Most people will have a speedy broadband internet connection and will not need to even get up to purchase discs for games. Microsoft saw this future and was heading towards it (though even with the reversal, all games will be available day-and-date for download), albeit in a convoluted and opaque fashion. Their PR came across as confused, unsure, and ultimately they came out as the bad guy, which is unfortunate because some of the ideas that were proposed by this initial DRM policy were pushing towards the future. The thing that I'm 

mostbummed about, however, is that this next generation of consoles will, instead of having one "old-school" console and one moving more towards multi-media and digital applications, have two console that are residing in the past and are, more or less, the same. I was hoping for a deviation, some controversy that would help push this industry along. Instead, we are getting somewhat more of the same. 
  • Like 2

Yes, I think the future has always been an uneasy topic for people. When people first saw cars, they must have thought their stable mounts were just fine, and didn't care for the faster, yet accident prone cars. As time grew on, cars prevailed. Digital games are the same way. eventually, they will prevail, and MS really wanted to help show that future, AND to help usher it in. People whined, MS cracked. Azaxx sums it up best in my sig.

Consumers can't want something until it's on that shelf. They can't hate it until they have experience with it. MS really needs to keep that in mind for the ninth generation.

The recent DRM policy changes for the Xbox One that Microsoft just unveiled (not-so-fondly called "Xbox 180" by many) have sparked huge discussion in many media outlets throughout the web. I have been following the story closely, as well as the new generation of consoles, and this recent policy change has really forced me to think about which next-gen console is going to end up succeeding. 

The thing that really irritated me about this situation in particular is that a lot of the places that were bashing MS for these policies and cried out their hatred are now also crying out their hatred over the reversal.  To put it eloquently, you can't have your cake and eat it too.  -.-  

LiQuid BioniX, on 26 Jun 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

First off, many people (or at least a very vocal minority) can agree that the original DRM policies that Microsoft put in place were restricting (or eliminating) used game sales and the sharing of games, not to mention the always-online functionality that many people were opposed to. For myself and many others, these issues were not a huge point of disinterest. My internet connection is constant, albeit slow many times, I am more used to Steam and not being able to share games more than having physical media, and I don't often buy or sell my games used. 

A very vocal minority is most accurate, though those tend to get the most attention.  I was one of those in that minority, I did not like the direction they were headed.  The always online thing I could have cared less about, like you my internet connection is constant, I am used to Steam games, and I rarely buy used games, though I like having the ability to share my game with my friends (which I do quite often, if they or I am unsure about a purchase).  I like having the option to buy a used game, too.  Or buying a game from a friend.  Or gifting/giving a game to a friend.  My friends and I regularly purchase games for each others B-days.  Do we always purchase a new game?  No, no we don't.  I got a used copy of ODST from a friend, simply because it had all of the Halo 3 maps.  On the flip side, a friend purchased a new copy of BF3 for me for my B-day, because of the whole online pass thing.  

That being said, the used game marked is still huge, lots of people don't have stable internet connections, and would also love to share all their games with others. This group of people were very vocal in their opposition of these new DRM policies that diverged so significantly from the current generation's idea on digital media and ownership of digital purchases. What happened next I, nor anyone, expected. The corporate behemoth that is Microsoft actually caved and did a full reversal on many DRM policies, keeping it akin to the Xbox 360 we know and love. 

You can share physical media, keep your console offline, sell and buy used games, everything! For those of you who follow the gaming industry (or business in general) casually or not at all, you might not be able to appreciate what an incredibly radical event this was. Not only was Microsoft completely reengeneering their platform, but they were doing so solely based on preemptive preorder numbers and social media outcry. This stuff just doesn't happen! Many engineers will be working long nights in order to enact this new (or old) direction Microsoft is taking. 

Actually, I fully expected MS to cave.  I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but I fully expected them to give in to consumer demands.  I stated it in a thread on here about 4 hours before they reversed their DRM policy.  O.o;  Like you said, lots of people don't have stable internet connections, and this is especially true for countries other than the US.  Not all of them are bad, but there is a large portion.  And even in the US, there are areas where coverage is horrible.  Are internet providers trying to get this corrected?  Yes, they are, but when will everyone have it is another question all together.  There are plenty of people who still purchase used games, like you said.  Sony came out swinging immediately following the XBox One reveal with their little "How to share games on the PS4" skit, and they didn't stop.  They literally beat MS into submission, which in hindsight might not have been the best idea for them.

Now, you'd think that all this would spark a very positive reaction from myself and many others. In most cases it did. I, however, like to play devil's advocate. I'm actually kind of bummed out that Microsoft backed down and changed policies, and I'll tell you why.

Physical media is going to become obsolete in the near future. Most people will have a speedy broadband internet connection and will not need to even get up to purchase discs for games. Microsoft saw this future and was heading towards it (though even with the reversal, all games will be available day-and-date for download), albeit in a convoluted and opaque fashion. Their PR came across as confused, unsure, and ultimately they came out as the bad guy, which is unfortunate because some of the ideas that were proposed by this initial DRM policy were pushing towards the future. The thing that I'm most bummed about, however, is that this next generation of consoles will, instead of having one "old-school" console and one moving more towards multi-media and digital applications, have two console that are residing in the past and are, more or less, the same. I was hoping for a deviation, some controversy that would help push this industry along. Instead, we are getting somewhat more of the same. 

This harks back to my first statement.  It should have garnered a positive reaction, and as you said in most cases it did.  But there are still those that are upset about even the reversal.  

I agree about the fact that physical media is going to become obsolete, but I don't think this was the right time to do it, and I think that was the major issue. With the world economy struggling as it is, people like knowing that they own things, and can do with them what they please.  With these DRM policies that were going to be in place, it did limit our rights to what we truly owned.  Yes, we owned a physical disc if that is how we purchased the game.  And I could sell it/give it to a friend.  But then what?  What happens after that?  If he's hard strapped for cash, as it stands today, I could purchase that game back off of him to help him out, if he so decided, or he could try and sell it to somebody else.  With the new policies, that wouldn't be possible.  A license could only be transferred once (though I assume this doesn't apply to trying to sell it to one of their "participating partners").  So then, did he or I truly own the game, or did we own just the right to play the game, which could be taken from us at any time?

Their PR was the issue, personally.  Nobody knew what was actually happening with their system, and when they tried to answer they failed in horrible fashion.  Who in their right mind, while looking for a new gaming console in a new generation, would purchase a One if they didn't have a constant internet connection?  Their comment about having a console for them, it being the 360, was the worst statement they could have possibly made.  I already own a 360, but I want the latest and greatest, and what is MS giving me in that situation?  Their PR came off as incompetent, MS themselves came off as greedy, and it was just entirely botched.  Had they been able to truly convey what they wanted to do, and state things in a fashion that didn't make them seem arrogant, then perhaps all of this could have been avoided.

To sum it up, I imagine I would have been happy, in time, with their new system had they done a better job of explaining it, explaining its features in a more refined way, and giving us reasons for why they were doing what they were doing.  As it stood, I was irritated by their reveal, and even more irritated after E3, where their "exclusives" didn't really intrigue me enough to warrant purchasing a new system, especially with the policies they had in place.  As it stands now, I'd be more inclined to purchase an XBox One, and for that I'm grateful.  After their E3 presentation, I was fully supporting the PS4.  While the PS4 is, technically speaking, the better system hardware wise, so was the PS3, and we all saw how that faired.

• Like 1

I agree about the fact that physical media is going to become obsolete, but I don't think this was the right time to do it, and I think that was the major issue. 

I absolutely agree. Not only was it not the right time to do it, but the way that they approached it was completely incorrect.