Anyone remember Halo Custom Edition?

TheHiralis

I wonder, does anyone on here remember "Halo Custom Edition" by any chance? The PC port of the famous "Halo" game? Well, did you also know that it came with a modding kit called "Halo Editing Kit"? If not, this should interest you. If you did know, then stay tuned, you'll be impressed.

On behalf of the halomaps.org forums, I am here to present Foundry for PC. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard it right. Halo 3 Foundry has been ported to PC onto the Halo Custom Edition game engine. Please note that this is roughly 12 years old now.

Here is Foundry.

Trailer recorded, edited and uploaded by MatthewDratt of the same community.

--- Original message by: Jesse[/size=1]

A Brief History Lesson[/size=3]

This Foundry port (from Halo 3 to Halo CE) is almost a community project, as so many people have contributed so many various things to it. As you should all know, Foundry was originally one of many multiplayer levels being meticulously ported over by H3MT back in 2008. Because BSP extraction tools have been withheld from public access, all the level geometry has to be recreated by hand, by many of Halo CE's popular 3d modelers. Up until recently, many assets such as bitmaps, models, or animations were also somewhat of a rare commodity to encounter. There have been notable attempts at recreating a stylish, accurate representation of the Halo 3 tagset in Halo CE, arguably starting with Jesse's very own. Very recently, Masterz released ZTeam's secret Halo 3 tagset which contains what seems to be the best so far. One of the many goals that were set by H3MT was to try and use custom content instead of directly porting Halo 3 stuff, we have thrown this idea out in favor of more accurate textures and scenery; the BSP and many detail items, however, had to be custom.

First Thread

Second Thread

Third Thread

Fourth Thread

A Random Help Thread

Start of Publicity 1 - End of Publicity 1[/size=2]

More than Meets the Eye[/size=3]

There are quite a few things that can be said about this project, as we've attempted to have the level appeal to more than just the players. We have organized not only the tag directories, but also the data and the scenario itself, to better assist future, thirdparty modifications. We take pride in having our level look so nice, while being completely independent of graphical hacks such as Open Sauce. While stating that, we should also make it clear that the lighting seen in the final product was not what you would normally achieve using HEK. We used a process that goes by many names, I like to call it "ray traced lightmaps" which were rendered in 3ds max and imported into halo. These lightmaps use better optimized lightmap UVs to save space and allow for a more realistic, high definition look to the shadows and lighting in general. We have provided a supplementary release of useful files (including "blank" lightmaps) to allow for people to rebake lightmaps to suit their modifications to the layout of "Forgeable Pieces". Our included method is much more streamlined and to the point, but using HEK to render the lightmaps is also a redundant option available as an alternative, and may be a much simpler option for novice mappers.

Some things are different[/size=3]

Foundry has some game elements that weren't used in the rest of the game.

We have an assortment of things, but a few are:

Fence Materials (penetrable)

http://www.xfire.com/video/5e5664

Fully Working Halo 3 HUD Replica:

http://www.xfire.com/video/5fb341

Health Renegeration (due to a lack of health packs)

http://www.xfire.com/video/5c9c45

Deflectable Projectiles (video is very old)

http://www.xfire.com/video/5b90ee

Forging Foundry?[/size=3]

As hinted at above, we have designed much of the level to be friendly to what could be best described as Forging in Halo CE. As of right now the only realistic method is to manually rip the level (some tags such as Forklift animations or HUD elements may break in the process, they will be provided in the supplementary release). After you obtain the tags, Forging the level is as easy as moving SCENERY, VEHICLES, SPAWN POINTS, and NETGAME FLAGS to your desired locations using Sapien; giving the level a new name; and running a fresh set of ray traced or regular lightmaps. There are some objects in the scenario that ARE NOT meant to be altered, they have been made into static device_machines or are placed in areas outside of the main geometry so that you cannot accidentally move them. Some adept Halo scripters have designed scripts that allow you to Forge in-game with variable success, namely Kirby; we have not provided any support for this and have left the possibility up to anybody willing.

Matt and Slow Bullet have set up a server for us to use post-release. You can find the server information below:

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.67.252.147:2555/b_560_95_1.png

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.67.252.147:2555/

[red]Gameplay Video:[/size=3][/red]

The People who Made this Happen[/size=3]

-Primary Authors:

• Jesse - Getting this project together, modeling, unwrapping, lighting, tagging, HUD work.
  • DSalimander - Heavy work on the map and lighting, modeling, unwrapping, tweaking many bitmaps

-Misc People who Helped:

• Spartan094\Brandon - Too much work to describe | Backpack weps, spartan biped, FP arms, some weapon shaders, ect
  • grunt_eater - providing a working soccerball
  • Ki11a FTW - modeled the gun racks inside the bases.
  • John - Providing all necessary materials without complaint
  • Maniac - Final rendering of lightmaps (thanks to him we have nice shadows)
  • Altis - Providing the forklift vehicle
  • Kevin\XlzQwerty1 - Implementation of the fans and wire spools
  • HMYoko\032 Mendicant Bias - Provision of sounds
  • Kirby - I honestly don't know which of the many things to put here
  • Matthew Dratt - Sound help, animation edits, trailer making, server operator
  • Slow Bullet - Server host
  • Masterz1337\ CMT "leader" - Consultation on many things
  • ImBrokeRU\Leo - Tons of animations which didn't make it either (but they kick ass)
  • Zteam - Their wonderful tagset Zteam is:

- CtrlAltDestroy

- Choking Victim

- ShadowSpartan

• Bungie - Halo CE and Halo 3

-Original H3MT Contributors:

• Jesse - Last active H3MT member
  • Arbiter100 - Original custom BSP, unused scenery models
  • il Duce Primo - Helped model some original, unused scenery models
  • InvaderVeex - Helped model some original, unused scenery models and created the post game/loading images.
  • ODX - Many animations (most of which did not make it in the map)
  • DEEHunter - Providing a lighting setup + help with the BSP in early stages

-Beta Testers:

• Matthew Dratt
  • Slow Bullet
  • Mooseguy
  • Masterz1337
  • Shadow Spartan
  • Ackrylic\Arbiter100
  • Kirby_422
  • S094\Spartan094
  • Invader Veex
  • Agent Texas\032 Medicant Bias\HMYoko
  • [YOSPOS]ZMT\ Captain Vidya
  • fsfssgffd
  • XlzQwerty1

*Quoting this entire post as a whole will be considered spam. Only quote the parts you are specifically talking about!

And here you have it people, the release file (currently using Mediafire pending Dennis' approval)

[red]DOWNLOAD THIS MAP AGAIN[/red] [yellow](This is a third revision, or fourth? I forget)[/yellow][/size=1]

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmrjwjqao7q3wr2

Here are some extra development files you may need if you (god forbid an actual release) plan to forge Foundry:

http://www.mediafire.com/?00jf863zq5gdld3

Here is a thread-only release of the Legendary Edition map download, which includes source files, the map, and some developer stuff you might need.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v3i1x7q7be3xofv

Pretty pictures captured by Btcc22:

http://maps.haloanticheat.com/temp/foundry4.png

http://maps.haloanticheat.com/temp/foundry2.png

http://maps.haloanticheat.com/temp/foundry3.png

http://maps.haloanticheat.com/temp/foundry1.png

[yellow]PNG images, deal with it.[/yellow][/size=1]

Miscellaneous Stuff [/size=3]

- Forklift can have lulzy physics.

- wallhacking is prevented

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYm1dzfd_A

- Funny biped glitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5B73Spg66A

- How to get to the secret room:

Edited by Jesse on May 17, 2013 at 02:30 AM[/size=1]

Quote from http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=42993

]the release thread.[/url]

Now, onto the main reason why I'm here.

343i, we would like to ask you to give all of the surviving Halo CE community one last update on the game's original exe, fixing the netcoding problems, while also giving complete documentation on the built-in game scripting. It willl really push what the community can do to whole new levels. Here's an example of some of the things we are able to do right now with a self taught understanding of the scripting.

As well as working-ish buggers in CE.

Thank you all for listening, I hope you all enjoy.

-Hiralis

• Like 2

No offense Hiralis, but you and the rest of the CE community can **** off!  Keep your CE crap over at Dennis' abortion of a Halo community.  You CE guys downright laughed at us H2 guys, so you will receive no better treatment from me, in my house.  CE can go rot and so can that existing small part of the community.  End rant.

To be honest, I think it was a minority that laughed at you for sticking to the Halo 2 when it was dead after a week of it's release.  The H2EK is so locked down it's terrible; you can't have custom bipeds; no ai, no SP. Nothing that makes it worthwhile. While it may not have been me who laughed at you, it may have been someone else. Just don't judge the whole of a community by a few.

No offense Hiralis, but you and the rest of the CE community can **** off!  Keep your CE crap over at Dennis' abortion of a Halo community.  You CE guys downright laughed at us H2 guys, so you will receive no better treatment from me, in my house.  CE can go rot and so can that existing small part of the community.  End rant.

Sh** just got serious... :ermm:

Now, onto the main reason why I'm here.

343i, we would like to ask you to give all of the surviving Halo CE community one last update on the game's original exe, fixing the netcoding problems, while also giving complete documentation on the built-in game scripting. It willl really push what the community can do to whole new levels. Here's an example of some of the things we are able to do right now with a self taught understanding of the scripting.

Self-proclaimed genius in scripting, working with entire team in making cool things

Finds wrong forum

None of those things are of my creation, and I did not claim that I was a self taught genius. Halo CE's scripting system, as for a our knowledge, is a temperamental little lady. Those of us, like Kirby, managed to tame it. Be this in the wrong thread, move it; it doesn't bother me. 

None of those things are of my creation, and I did not claim that I was a self taught genius. Halo CE's scripting system, as for a our knowledge, is a temperamental little lady. Those of us, like Kirby, managed to tame it. Be this in the wrong thread, move it; it doesn't bother me.

-I say forum

-He thinks thread

Honestly, a little brain power would help your cause a LOT. You want 343 to help you in giving Halo: Custom Edition a boost, first you've got to, y'know, go to 343's forums.

After that, good luck on getting people to listen.

In any case, more onto the topic of the game, it looks great! I know Custom edition existed but I've never really played it, only the CE demo on mac as that's what I use. This makes me wanna get it.

Well, I welcome you to our forums. Its a rather close-nit community, and as you can see, we tend to be protective over each other. Even if that mean's not understanding a new person. But if you take a look around, you'll soon realize not all of us are armed to the teeth. There are allot of very friendly people here. 

It may take some time for few us to warm up to, but dont worry, allot of us will also welcome you with open arms. 

So please, also take look around and enjoy yourself here. 

And once again, welcome to the forums! :D

• Like 3

Well, I welcome you to our forums. Its a rather close-nit community, and as you can see, we tend to be protective over each other. Even if that mean's not understanding a new person. But if you take a look around, you'll soon realize not all of us are armed to the teeth. There are allot of very friendly people here. 

It may take some time for few us to warm up to, but dont worry, allot of us will also welcome you with open arms. 

that is well said thank you for the quality post zelda, you always ,make me happy.

yes welcome to the forums you can always come to me if you want.

twin that was a bit harsh and shocked me but i forgive you and i may be a bit of a CE person but i could never figure out how to download content like this when i really want to.

i love everything from your post its great

Try playing halo 4/reach for a change :D

Been there, played them. I much prefer Halo CE as you can legitimately mod the game as opposed to Halo Reach and 4. In my opinion, there are no more players in Halo 4 that look for fun, only people who have 18 different accounts they are trying to level cap

:respect:   See ^ this is who we should all aspire to be... A person like her is the kind of one this world needs more of. Zelda is the absolute role model I look up to and admire. I have more faith in her, than I do in humanity.

I have seen the worst of human beings... But I have also seen the best... And you Zelda... are one of them. You are single handily the greatest girl I have meet. You are so kind, your husband is a very lucky man. He has the best wife any man could ever dream of... You are the greatest!...

Farewell for now...   

Been there, played them. I much prefer Halo CE as you can legitimately mod the game as opposed to Halo Reach and 4. In my opinion, there are no more players in Halo 4 that look for fun, only people who have 18 different accounts they are trying to level cap

Well that opinion is awfully wrong. I know a ton of people who only have 1 XBL account and play because they enjoy it.