Bioshock Infinite

Guest Frogger24

Guest Frogger24

Dont worry about having to change the difficulty. Really 1999 mode is about knowing when to pick up items and when to leave them alone. I ended up skiping a lot of the items and money (since you cant individually select items to pick up from a box) only to pick them up later after a fight.

Using the infusions on your shields and salts first is the best way to go. Getting those maxed will be the best option for you since generally you have plenty of health to start with.

Also use your gear to your advantage. Remember that you can change gear mid fight. There is gear that can give you invulerability for a period of time with select actions. The Winters Breath Gear is one of the best I find once your into the sky line portions of the game. Every time you dismount a skyline you get a brief period of invulerability. That allows you to toss out a skyline strike on anything and survive whatever they can dish out. then just hop back on the skyline and do it all over again.

Heck I skyline striked a Handyman to death doing this just because I could.

Also pick just a few weapons and stick with them for as long as you can. Dont buy upgrades to all the weapons, just the main ones you use (IE the burstgun, shotgun, Vox repeater, rockets and volly gun). The others generally arent used so much so its just not worth the money. Also You must upgrade your Possession Vigor all the way. You have to, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Upgrading this allowes you to take one of the enemy and turn him to yourside. Best power ever. Use it on every machine possible even if its to just have the enemy blow it up for you. That is worth it. Almost every enemy is affected by it (Handymen, Sirens and Boys of Silence are not) and they kill themselves once it wears off (not firemen though) so its an instant kill on human enemies. Use it on the tough guys (Brutes) and you will find things to be far easier.  

Another Salt that is very very useful is the Bucking Bronco. It has the lowest cost of any Salt besides Shock Jocky and is extremely useful. Its traps are alright but where it really shines is mid fight when your being swarmed. Use it to send everyone flying for a few seconds. Either get into cover or better yet hit them with a Devils Kiss shot and watch them all explode into flames (it is a powerful combo attack). Bucking Bronco works on almost every enemy too. Only Sirens, mechanical enemies and Handymen are immune. Plus they take additional weapons damage while floating in the air and it stops the Zelots in their tracks.

Two late game Salts are invaluable as well. Undertow and Return to Sender. Those two will save your life more often than not. Undertow really doesnt need any upgrades because its beastly as it is. It has a decently low Salts cost and it can wipe out a boat load of enemies at once. Use it when near a ledge and just push the enemies over it. Instant multi-kills in once cast. Best to use it in conjunction with Winters Breath as you can sky strike to the enemies, be invulnerable and then just push them off the map. Yes you dont get loot from them or get to get ammo from their weapons but at the cost of one cast you can eliminate all but the most powerful enemies (Handyman and Patriot). Definately worth it.

Return to Sender is one of those powers you have to fiddle around with to get used to it. You can use its instant cast to gain basically a second shield or you can hold it down to collect all the ammo the shoot at you then throw it back at them in one burst. This is useful against the Patriot as they have Peppermill Chain Guns. It can also be a great way to gain ammo with the right upgrades. Whenever they shoot at you while you are using it you collect those bullets and add them to your own stash. The best use of it however doesnt come until the end game. Use it as a trap. That way it will stay up longer and keep critical stuff from being shot (trying not to spoil anything here). They last a long time and are cheap to set down.

Dont depend on Elizabeth to supply you either. If your all out of ammo pick up a new weapon even if you didnt upgrade it. Its better than nothing. Also if you have the correct gear (Ghost Soldier) the weapon you throw down can turn into an ally for a short bit.

The worst part of 1999 mode for me was the Siren fights. Its a matter of destroying the undead to a point where their bodies no longer exist. Once you do that then she cant raise anymore and the fight becomes fairly simple after that. Use cover and even hide away for a while. There are spots where the idiots dont chase you so you can pick them off one at a time. Find them and your life will be much easier.

Hope this helps encourage you to try it.

Guest Frogger24

is it honestly worth the money?

Well that is a difficult question to answer. It all comes down to your basic preferences in games really. I can not tell you that it will be worth it to you nor can anybody else. That is something you have to figure out on your own. All I can do is extend my own experiences.

Personally for me it was well worth it. I pre-ordered the premium edition which came with a few extra goodies in the game. Though I did miss out on the Songbird model that came with the next version up on the chain of expenses.

For the $80 that I spent I got plenty out of it. More importantly there is going to be DLC comming out for it that will add more to the experience. The story is top notch I think. Many people seem to have complained about the ending but honestly I thought it was well done. It played to the theme of one of the characters within the game itself and tied all the Bioshock games together.

The mechanics are extremely solid and combat is always fun. There is always something amusing you can do in the game, even if it is just to listen to what other characters are saying. Dont even get me started on the AI. Sure the enemy isnt always the greatest (but that can be said for any game) but your companion has the best AI I have ever encounterd in any game. She is useful in and out of combat and you never ever have to worry about her. Anyways back to the enemies. They all make smart choices as one would expect from enemy AI's but there are occasions where they can be thick-headed and not chase after you. I dont see that as so much of a drawback but instead a feature that can be a welcome relief when the going gets tough.

But as I said before, you have to decide for yourself if it is worth it or not. My experiences wont be like yours. Perhaps you might want to rent it or borrow it before you buy it and give it a test.

Well that is a difficult question to answer. It all comes down to your basic preferences in games really. I can not tell you that it will be worth it to you nor can anybody else. That is something you have to figure out on your own. All I can do is extend my own experiences.

Personally for me it was well worth it. I pre-ordered the premium edition which came with a few extra goodies in the game. Though I did miss out on the Songbird model that came with the next version up on the chain of expenses.

For the $80 that I spent I got plenty out of it. More importantly there is going to be DLC comming out for it that will add more to the experience. The story is top notch I think. Many people seem to have complained about the ending but honestly I thought it was well done. It played to the theme of one of the characters within the game itself and tied all the Bioshock games together.

The mechanics are extremely solid and combat is always fun. There is always something amusing you can do in the game, even if it is just to listen to what other characters are saying. Dont even get me started on the AI. Sure the enemy isnt always the greatest (but that can be said for any game) but your companion has the best AI I have ever encounterd in any game. She is useful in and out of combat and you never ever have to worry about her. Anyways back to the enemies. They all make smart choices as one would expect from enemy AI's but there are occasions where they can be thick-headed and not chase after you. I dont see that as so much of a drawback but instead a feature that can be a welcome relief when the going gets tough.

But as I said before, you have to decide for yourself if it is worth it or not. My experiences wont be like yours. Perhaps you might want to rent it or borrow it before you buy it and give it a test.

just so you know i played the first 2 and loved them