First off, I would like to commend 343 on Spartan Ops. I enjoyed the weekly chapters, esp the second half, and in some ways Ops is like Firefight with a story and more momentum.

But it is still not Firefight, as many of us have thoughtfully suggested through various forum threads.

Here is what I suggest: keep Spartan Ops and bring back Firefight. Here's how:

Keep the current options for Spartan Ops, but add in Firefight mode. Basically, Firefight would just be on the Spartan Ops maps, giving players 5 new Firefight environments each week. Firefight is just a gametype, so 343/Affinity would just need to set up the spawning dynamics along with Spartan Ops. And, with the size of Spartan Ops maps there could be more than one Firefight area set up.

Spartan Ops/Firefight hybrid model.

This would be a blend of the two, with waves of enemies/skulls at locations, limited lives as before, and Spartan Ops like objectives, so that after so many waves of protecting sites, and moving to new locations on the same map. If the team makes it through the second group of waves they move to a new location, etc. You get the point. And the Firefight mode should be like with ODST: with limited lives, which can be earned with each new wave. This could be the way Firefight mode is, a new hybrid model, or a third option.

The point is, simply put, we like Spartan Ops and we miss Firefight, like we miss the Flood. What would be Epcot would be Firefight Flood, with AI marines who can be infected, and the bodies of dead Spartans! A bit of a tangent here, buying have a new thought: infected Spartan bodies would retain weapons/loadouts/armor, etc. You would respawn, but the body of the dead Spartan, if not incinerated, would reanimate. Think of that for a moment.

CV

• Like 4

Thanks Wilson. It probably would be easy, especially since H4 uses the Reach engine, and I've heard there is a large degree of latitude with working between the various maps between campaign, mm, and probably SO. I was thinking more H5 when I thought of this, but Firefight would be a nice treat since there is no planned SO season 2 and no new map packs. Like you I think it would bring more life into the H4 experience. CV

And the way for them to see it is keeping the thread alive with diverse community input and support.

As for firefight, I think that it needs to become more of a survival experience. Halo reach set firefight up with unlimited lives and just encouraged players to rack up multikills and killstreaks. I don't see the fun in just competing for a high score in firefight if that's what regular matchmaking is for. I think players would enjoy the experience much more if the stakes were raised with better enemies and weaker starting weapons. in addition to having limited lives, this would make a great survival experience depending on the maps.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Remember, 343i was 'helping' Bungie on Reach.  I agree with "Victory Element".  Reach Firefight was all about stealing your teammate's kills.  Since there was a set number of enemies, a player gauged their success by points.  ODST was all about working as a team to survive.  Wave and round numbers as well as skulls became badges of honor.  ODST was about watching your partner's back; Reach FF was about stabbing your partner's back.

I would like to add that 343i should add the ability to create firefight maps in Forge.  Give us the ability to set objectives, terrain, structures, and vehicles.  It's a nice thought.

I think Spartan Ops in Halo 5 should be DLC. Let me explain. Halo 5 releases you get Campaign, Multiplayer, Firefight, Forge Modes just like Halo: Reach So we get our Moneys worth. I know it would be convient for Spartan Ops to be free, but otherwise we would get Spartan Ops from Halo 4 again. It would be a mass collection of replaying levels and just fighting through same thing over and over. What I feel 343 should do is after the game is released have a small team work on the new Spartan Ops. Have them design new levels, and try to bridge the gap between Halo 5 and Halo 6 with a new story experience. Have the story revolve around a Spartan Team just like the original Spartan Ops, but give it the player actually play as their Spartan, just like in Halo: Reach with the armor customization, and it transfering into the story and cutscenes and all that. Make the players pay for Spartan Ops so that 343 can get the funds they need so they can make more. This way they are not using more money than they are bringing in. 343 can also use this DLC as a way to do a little experimenting. They can add a few things and get some player feed back without wrecking the whole experience. Doing this we as players will get more "meat" with the overall game, can potentially add to the overall replay ability of the game, and 343 will get a chance to make some more money, and provide more to us more for the game. Without it just being map packs. (Don't get me wrong. Map Packs are awsome.)   

• Like 1