Halo: Militia (RP)

Between Jones mouthing off with each set of pushups and the other recruits absorbing Kawolski's words with feighned expressions of contentment, Gabe wanted to bury his face into a hand, but they had other more important things to get on with. When Jones finished, again concluding with an ego trip, the Staff Sergeant's attention was diverted to an oversized human with a clearly slavic accent of some sort.

"Staff Sergeant Kowalski, is there anything else you would like me to do, sir?"

He looked at the sweat forming around the man's shirt collar and shook his head in distaste. Not only did the group have a comedian, but it had an issue with following orders. "Yeah, start listening to directions, dipsh***." He turned once, but then did a double-take. "And stop grinning like a f***ing retard."

With that said he studied the recruits over for a pair of candidates. "You," he called out, pointing to a man named Franco, then another recruit, Josten, "and you--right-face and stand next to eachother. Everyone else, form two lines behind them!" He then pointed to Jones. "You volunteered to follow at the rear--make sure no one falls behind, because so help me God if I see you or anyone else lagging, I will PT you all 'til tomorrow morning."

As the recruits made formation, Gabe lead way to the front. "Since you're all already in uniform, and it's pretty nice warm day, I don't suppose you all mind going for a four mile run to your new summer home." His whistle blared three times: a signal that essentially meant "move your asses."

"Two line cadence! Double time! Let's go! Left! Left! Left--right--left!"

He followed next to the middle of the line. Four miles wasn't nearly as bad as KWOL could have given his recruits. Back in OQT he had to do an 8 mile with his platoon along a country highway on Harvest overnight. Whether they made stops or not didn't matter so long as each man was accounted for before sunrise. That was a one-way, flat leveled road though. The recruits had it easy for the first mile, after that they would have to hike up about two and a half miles of dirt road and brush to get to their destination: an older, less adequate training barrack than the ones in Javelin Base.

There was more reason for this than drilling the recruits' discipline. With the near inevitable threat of a Covenant invasion, UNSC was pressing to advance the training of all enlistees, thus having to provide more food, shelter, and advisers. Javelin was running out of room and initially didn't have anywhere to put the new Marines. The barrack up north would have to do for now. It was meant to be decommissioned and used for orbital defense target practice, but Kawolski saw one last use in it. Besides, if the Staff Sergeant was being asked for quick results, then he'd rather not give his recruits the "luxury" of a cozy and uniform base just yet.

Gabe caught up with the two Marines leading the cadence just as they left the front gate of the base. "Uphill both ways from here! Constant pace! Don't you dare slow down!" He then fell back, jogging half-way up the line again to keep check on all of the recruits. He began shouting out one of the most basic Marine Corps chants to start off with, heartily yelling out each line for the recruits to repeat.

"When I die, please bury me deep!
Put an MA5 down at my feet!
Don't cry for me, don't shed a tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear!
One early morning, 'bout zero-five!
The ground will shake, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone!
That's my my ghost on a PT run!"

[Really.... just..... ugh....]

Jones kept his place in the middle of the line, keeping an even pace. The recruit next to him had started to struggle, taking heavy steps and stumbling.

"Hey man, you alright?"

"I'm just... tired...."

"That is kinda the point, buddy. just stick it out. you can make it."

"Yeah..... sure...."

Jones though about going to show off again, but decided against it. If he did now, the entire group would be in for it, not a good way to make friends.

[i personally find this enjoyable so far... lets keep it rolling!]

D.J. kept his steady pace for the last leg of the run. He was out of breath, but he kept going. Cardio had always been second on his workout list, and now he realized how much of a mistake that had been.

With his chest burning and his lungs threatening to evacuate his body through his mouth, Andrew slowed to a halt in front of their new home. Which meant it looked about one stiff breeze from burying them alive while they slept. Anyway, despite the pounding of his heart in his temple, Grec tried to keep his posture relatively solid. As much as he wanted to bend over at the waist and put his head between his knees - he couldn't get through one-hundred and fifty push-ups.

((From my chats with Rookie, I've deduced this : The RP takes place on Reach, prior to the Fall of Reach. The RP isn't expected to be some long winded, epic trek across the galaxy - it's a boot camp RP, and maybe some stuff involving the Fall of Reach. Yes, that's limited in scope - but a lot of quality entertainment has been made with an extremely limited scope. The Office is a multi-season show with the entire show revolving around character interactions occuring at their office. So, for me, this is a place to take a character - and develop them. Take a character who starts off as a flat application, and eventually smooth him/her out into a fully realized round character with depth, dreams, desires - and a solid backstory that puts them in the middle of one of the single most important battles in human history.

So yes, in terms of scope of locales, the RP is limited. In terms of scope in terms of character growth - that's only limited by your own writing talents.

Besides, the next part is the hand-to-hand section, so plenty of laughs to have there if you're willing to stick around a bit longer.))

[Well, that's on you, but I can assure you that the story is going to become at least slightly vaster in scale after boot camp, but like Dryskim said, this isn't the usual "Create a Badass" roleplay where every page is victory after victory. The limitations imposed by the template are meant to serve only as a wireframe for the character, where the rest of them is built upon in training. Parallel the character's learning experience with that of your own, if that helps at all. Think of boot camp as a narrow prologue to a wider possibility that is the Fall of Reach.]

As Gabe lead the cadence while the recruits pushed themselves up the top of the hill, their barracks came into view: a old-school, steel and aluminum compound with a chain-link fence, front gate, and two guard towers--the fate of the other two couldn't have been more implied by the shattered bases that once supported the towers. They'll have to do with one when the time comes, Gabe thought.

"A-a-and halt!"

He raised a hand, slowing the cadence to a stop, taking a few deep breaths in and out, spitting once before blowing his whistle. At the call, two medics from triage sprang into motion from the compound, hopping into an M831, the troop carrying model of the traditional "Warthog" Light Recon Vehicle. Normally he would push a company to wait until they reached the base before getting treatment, but they had had enough as it is. And as much as he didn't want to admit, he could feel a titanium joint shaking loose in his prosthetic leg.

"Bottles up! Drink your water slow! Don't need you all cramping up before you all meet the girls."

He hoped his choice of words would snap up the recruits' attention, though some of them looked as if they could already read between the lines. "From here on out," he began, clearing his throat and spitting yellowish wad of saliva between his boots once more, "you are all part of Asimov Company. And that," he poked a thumb over his shoulder at the compound in the distance, "is your new home. Corpsman Grigsby," he snapped to one of the medics. "How are they looking?"

"Everyone checks out, Staff Sergeant. The worst thing to expect is a few blistered feet."

"Alright. Let's walk it the rest of the way; shake off that glassy bone feeling."

----------------------------------------

Upon entering the raggy, worn down compound, Staff Sergeant Kawolski introduced with a hearty "Home at last!" At that he heard a handful of groans erupt from the company. "What? You don't like the home that the good people of humanity just gave you? You're right, you should all stay the night outside and eat the grubs off of your boots in the morning for breakfast."

The moans and bellyaching soon ceased after that. "Exactly. We all know how cold it gets around here at night, and even I don't have the heart to do that to you. But this will be your new home for a while. It doesn't look like much, but if you treat it with respect then it'll care for you all the same. Besides, it's got the right accommodations every young man needs: hot water, mess hall, living space and best of all..."

Gabe took a pause, approaching three crates off to the side of the courtyard, accompanied by a man in a jet black uniform, Sergeant Geza. The two popped open one of the crates, lifting the lid slowly for the recruits to see. "It's got companionship."

Dropping the lid, the crate revealed two rows of neatly stacked MA5C Assault Rifles. A few recruits smiled, some just exchanged glances, some even had a dumbfounded expression that read "so I take it there are no women?"

Kawolski was satisfied with just that. He removed his cap to wipe the sweat from his brow then pointed to the barracks. "Get cleaned off, put on some fresh BDUs, and assemble back here in ten minutes."

D.J. sat on one of the many Identical bunks as everyone else showered. Secretly, he was glad to have had his Shower privileges revoked for a bit. Shared showers were not in his list of thing he wanted to do. He had already changed out of his street clothes into a fresh pair of OD BDUs, and  slipped his sunglasses in the shirt pocket.

"Not bad, better than the rags I used to wear." He muttered to himself as he rolled the sleeves up to his forearms. He glanced over at the Crate of ARs.

"Never seen a piece like that back home... Probably a good thing too, those ain't no joke..."

((Alright, I'll give it another chance))

Cavril sat on his bunk and stared off into space. He wanted to apologize to the Staff Sergeant, but he had a feeling that would make things worse. The hand-to-hand drill was going to be a lot of fun, and Cavril grinned to himself. Some other cadets widened their eyes and looked away from the Russian the moment he smiled. They were probably thinking: 'Smiling to yourself is a sign of insanity.' It most likely was, but if Cavril was insane, then he definitely showed it by being extremely creepy and tall.

He stood up and looked down at Staff Sergeant Kowalski. "Staff Sergeant Kowalski, permission to speak with you in private, sir?" Cavril asked in his most respectful voice he could muster. The other cadets stared at him like he really was insane.

Edited by HaloGeek

Kawolski looked up at the freakishly tall recruit addressing him, noting how the recruits seemed to keep their distance. Gabe wasn't all that impressed so far. If height was a primary intimidating factor, then the Staff Sergeant would've deserted the war along ago what with the giants dominating the Covenant military. They were going to learn that sooner or later.

He didn't like the fact that the recruit was addressing him directly, requesting a private conversation, but he was willing to humor him. "Fine. Outside."

((Actually, forgive me. This is going to be a very fun RP! :D))

It was as like Cavril read Kawolski's mind. The Russian wanted to base his next sentence on what it seemed the Staff Sergeant was thinking. That would maybe freak Kowalski out, and Cavril had no intention of doing that. But based on what Cavril saw when he spoke to the other recruits, it may freak their Commanding Officer out of his muscles.

"Yes, sir. Also, Staff Sergeant Kawolski, you don't need to be impressed. Just remember, I'm always here. Always. And I don't think it is just my height. My freakish smile, ice cold but creepy eyes, and spine-chilling voice is also a factor too." The Russian said, allowing his creepy voice to pierce everyone in the room's soul, including Gabe. 

When they came outside, a chill of wind passed through them, but Cavril thought nothing of it. Russia was much worse. In fact, this felt warm to him. Cavril had been to Russia when he was five, and he really liked it. But now was different, now he had to forget those memories.

Edited by HaloGeek

((Actually, forgive me. This is going to be a very fun RP! :D))

...allowing his creepy voice to pierce everyone in the room's soul, including Gabe. 

[You're going to have to try harder than that if you're trying to make Gabe respect your character. Simply controlling the reactions of NPCs and assuming that other player's characters will follow suit is just a tool for making a character look better. I strongly advise against that.]

Gabe was unfazed by the recruit's words, though baffled by his ability to stroke his ego, pointing out traits that he himself felt were defining features, and speaking as though he read the Staff Sergeant like an open book. "Stop while you're ahead, recruit, and allow me to say I don't care what you think of yourself or what you think that I think of you. I have forty recruits inside who are being delayed from weapons orientation every second we spend out here. So if we can just cut to it. What do you want?"

((I realize that.))

Cavril didn't know what to say, but cut his smile so that he could be taken more seriously, if at all. Choosing words with a commanding officer was a little bit difficult, but if you sounded respectful and put thought into your words, it usually worked out."Staff Sergeant Kawolski, I understand you don't care. But straight to the point, I like that. Now, I just wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier. It was disrespectful and unacceptable. I will act respectful towards you and everyone else throughout the training and whatever missions we go on. Thank you for lending me your time, sir."

The Russian walked back inside, gaining the fear-stares of everyone in the room, and that was when his smile turned on again. Then everyone looked away. Cavril knew that they were looking away because they weren't scared, but rather confident. That was good, very good.

Edited by HaloGeek

D.J. sighed and walked back to his bunk.

"Man, I thought that would be interesting..."

He glanced around at the other recruits. Most of them had a mix of nervous or tired expressions, a few had even started to nap.

"Noted," Gabe said flatly a simply acknowledgment of the recruit's piece of mind rather than a "yeah, get on with it," or sorts. He nodded his head towards the courtyard. "Fall in and wait for everyone else."

As the recruits lines up, he approached one of the crates in front of them and retrieved one of the sleek bullpup designs. In a few quick flashes of motion and series of preparatory clicks, he pulled back the action, confirmed that the chamber was cleared, sighted the weapon toward the sky and pulled the trigger. The satisfying sound of the hammer echoed across the yard.

He held up the weapon briefly with one hand and approached the first recruit at the far left of the line. "This is the MA5C Individual Combat Weapon System. She fires six hundred seven point six-two millimeter rounds per minute from a thirty-two round magazine. Feel the weight." He tossed the weapon to the recruit and jerked his chin toward the rest of the line: Get a feel for it and pass it down.

"This is the standard issue weapon for most Marine riflemen. At fifteen hundred yards you can turn a soft target's head into a shadow of its former self with one round if you're good enough. If that's possible, just imagine what thirty-two rounds will do at three hundred yards. The reason I decided to start you off with these instead of the Army's training model MA37, is because, personally, I don't like it. Sure; you can go ahead and storm a few city blocks and burn through twenty magazines without ever having to clean the weapon, but it's a hock of metal with a skeletal design, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to end up cleaning it after being stationed in non-urban settings."

He gently ran a hand over the line of rifles still in their case and continued. "With these, you can drag it through muck and mud, batter it against a tree for ten minutes and still be able to shoot a Covenant scout through the skull at long range. Unfortunately," without looking, he brushed his hand over the lid, and the rifles vanished with a slam, "before you can master this combat masterpiece, you need to know how to use your hands."

A second Marine, one in black fatigues stepped forward past the Staff Sergeant as if on some kind of queue as Gabe continued. "Sergeant Geza here will guide you to the sandbox and run you through hand-to-hand. Sergeant, they're all your's."

"Thank you, Staff Sergeant. Recruits! Right-face!" He took the lead of the formation and with a blunt, "March!" they began moving.

Cavril methodically marched among the other recruits, happy to have gotten that other ordeal over with. Soon would be the hand-to-hand exercises, and that would be fun. The Russian had a history of full contact hand-to-hand fighting in some of the best martial arts people can learn, so he could wait to try it out. However he stayed humble, as he noted before, overconfidence has caused the injury, embarrassment, and death of soldiers. Cavril wouldn't let that happen to him. He spent his entire live training for the Corps, and he wanted to be respected. That however, is earned.

His creepy smile returned as he thought, I wonder what the Sergeant has in line for his today. I hope it is some hardcore drills and fighting.

Edited by HaloGeek

Andrew, being a middle class suburban kid growing up....well, let's just say he wasn't looking forward to getting his teeth knocked down his throat.

He found his pace in formation, making sure not to step on somebody's heels with his long strides before settling in place while they awaited Sergeant Geza to commence kicking their collective asses. Or judging from the decent sized sandpit, they'd all get a chance at turning black and blue.

Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, right?

"I admire your attitude, recruit Jones," Geza said in mid turn, kicking up some sand as he readjusted his footing. "But against Covenant, your average backalley brawl tactics won't keep standing for long, unless you're looking to cave the skull of their lowest ranking infantry."

The Sergeant waved the recruits to spread out. As they did, he put his feet apart just a little past shoulder width and relaxed a little. "Just like violence, fighting is percieved differently per person. What I teach you today might go in one ear and out the other for some of you uppity b*stards who have some prior experience. Others may actually use this, but bear in mind, the enemies you will be fighting will be taller, shorter, midrange. While some might provide a challenge in themselves, a greater challenge might come from having to adapt to each species among the Covenant suited to play the role of infantry.

"Blunt force trauma is a good way to end a fight quickly, but it can tire you out just as fast. What you gotta do is know how to take control of the fight, not only over your opponent's strengths--using them against them and all--but also over yourself. If you get the most out of this portion of training, then you should notice a bit of a lifestyle change. The way you move, even the way you think might be slightly altered--improved. Believe me when I say that fighting is a part of life."

He took a moment to let it sink in before observing the group. The batch was rather diverse; big and small, thick and thin, he had already thought of ideas in varying combat scenarios, pitting the opposite body types against one another for a bit of a lesson in audacity and cunning tactics. First, they would have to run through the basics. "Let's start with some forms, then I'll partner you guys up."

They drilled for a good fifteen minutes on various maneuvers: blocks--high, middle, and low; direct and redirecting. He'd be able to see how well they learned defensive stances while sparring amongst themselves. Striking was a whole different story. They would have to learn proper attacks the first time through, as it was a little more difficult to learn in heightened stress. Describing an ideal punch, he delved into everything from the quarter-rotation of the fist to the fast retraction. Part of it was humor to him, knowing they wouldn't use this against most Covenant; even Grunts were known for taking some hits, but Standard Operating Procedure was "Standard" for a reason, plus it never hurt to know everything there was to know.

"Alright, that's good. Take two minutes, find a partner. When I blow the whistle, you're on your own. The objective is to get your opponent on the ground."

[ D.J. didn't say that out loud, but whatever, not like it matters.]

D.J. gave the Instructor his full attention when he went over blocks and reversals, but let his mind wander when he moved on to throwing the proper punch. (Something he knew how to do quite well.)

He'd been in a fight almost every week back home, whether it was a boxing match, of a scuffle over Turf that didn't really belong to them. He'd won his fair share, but lost a few too. He stepped back from the group and practiced throwing one of his signatures back when he used to Box, A ten piece combo, switching from the head to the body and back seemingly at random, that had won several fights for him. He knew he'd never get the chance to use it, but it helped to remember.

He swept his eyes over the other recruits, looking for a suitable opponent. he didn't want to make it too easy, but against The big Russian, Cavril, was it? He'd be lucky to walk away afterward.

((Alright, I remember what you told me... yesterday Boss? No meta-gaming, just let the fight go within itself. Now I want to point out one thing, Cavril isn't HUGE and muscular. He is tall and flexible. Now that we got that out of the way, LET'S DO IT!))

Cavril stood in front D.J., looking down at him. D.J. looked confident, and that was good, but there was a hint of nervousness in his expression. The Russian smiled politely and then got in a side ways fighting position, cover his face and center. being sideways also reduced the target area that they could punch. Cavril hoped that D.J. would do the same.

"What is your name, друг?" Cavril asked, with a bit of creepiness in his voice, but not too much. It wasn't something he could control. Back at the colony where he lived, Cavril fought a lot. It was common, and Cavril won 9/10 each time. The Russian had practiced in some of the most lethal martial arts, like Shaolin Kung Fu, Hung Gar, Chin Ni, Tai Chi, and Judo. A lot of those were extremely practical and could win a fight in one blow. However at a military academy it could be different.

((друг just means friend.))

[ D.J. as actually pretty tall, and with a muscular build, Cavril would only have about 2-3 inches on him. not exactly looking down height, ya know?]

"Uh, Derek. Derek Jones. You can call me D.J." He said. But in the back of his mind he thought; "S--t! Of all the people to pair up with, I get smiley over here..."

He pushed the thought out of his mind, and Took up his Boxing stance, Standing at an angle, and keeping his arms in tight near his body, with his fists covering his face.

"Alright, Rasputin," D.J. said with a devious grin. "After you."