Cyclops to replace the Mantis

Firellight

Imo, I always found that the mantis did not fit in Halo 4. It looks "cheaply" made, because it is literally just a rotating gray box with legs and two guns. There's no window, and no survivability to it. It looks like someone with an axe can separate the top part from the bottom. The pilot sits in a box, and there's no telling if an explosion next to the mantis will give him a concussion. It felt like there was no actual intriguing part about the mantis except for its gameplay. Now don't get me wrong, people do like playing in a mantis. However, it does not fit in a story setting.

What UNSC needs is a heavy-armour unit that can withstand explosions and can walk through them. The mantis can just get blown away like a normal person would.

The cyclops has been a controversial vehicle to the UNSC. It was originally just a mining unit, but has proven to take on the Covenant quite well. Engineers should have looked this over to develop the mantis, however it does not have the withstanding capability to hold off in a battle. That's money wasted in the bucket. The Infinity won't accept vehicles that get destroyed easy, and it's men going down with them. Besides, the mantis is very clunky, and so is its movement features. Engineers should have explored the cyclops to develop a war-worthy suit of taking on the Covenant effectively. That box-like cyclops on board the Infinity won't do (it won't do for multiplayer, anyway). Let's look at it this way:

- We are in need of a defensive unit that can hold off an area and take in multiple blasts.

- There are hunters out there who can slam things and shoot blasts.

- Let's counter the hunters, and provide anti-air support. This will help lower the explosion rate.

- We should also counter the wraiths.

- The cyclops has amazing armour capabilities.

- The cyclops can withstand explosions.

- The cyclops has a window!

- And! They can mine and repair when needed.

- Let's make a new Cyclops design, guys.

- (Balance for multiplayer)

The new cyclops can take in more explosives than any other. It is slow moving (just walks), and has two guns. The movements are much more fluid, due to being almost human. The right hand gun is like a machine gun turret. The left hand gun is like a hornet rocket that can lock on to other vehicles. When the cyclops returns to the armory, its guns can be switched to mining and/or repairing other vehicles (not a gameplay feature, just part of the design). Big boys have friendly personalities.

Features:

- Changes to its size is not gigantic, but this new design now counters to be a slightly bigger hunter.

- R button = Turret. L button = single hornet rocket.

- When locked on to a vehicle, three rockets are shot instead of one.

- Convenient against wraiths, hunters, and air vehicles.

- Lasts much longer than any other vehicle. 5 direct hit rocket explosions until damaged, 1 more until heavy damaged, 1 more until explosion. Maybe more if the community demands it.

- Marines won't get a concussion or brain damage when they enter a blast radius.

- Makes great for players who wished to play as hunters. This can be a solution.

- POSSIBLY a thruster pack (just slightly to dodge incoming explosions, the cyclops is heavy)?

Cons:

- Turret is not as powerful as a warthog turret. It is rather just a machine gun, with the same speed of shooting. It still makes a good power against ground infantry.

- Not fast.

- Only one hornet rocket.

- Maneuverable (if you're good enough).

There may be a few moments when they are used in campaign. Chief could be introduced to the first appearance, and it would be introduced as something newly developed by the UNSC. The first appearance could allow the use for a long period throughout the level.

Now pilots can see what they're doing, plus this new vehicle is money well spent!

Approximate size comparisons (only rough estimates, I'm terrible at scaling):

cyclops2-fw.png

How is it?

If you like the idea, then pass it on that this new cyclops should replace the mantis. :D

The mantis could just be a Halo 4 exclusive.

• Like 3

this is a god idea. i really liked it. mainly because i don't like the mantis much. i mean i do but it just doesn't work for me. i also think it might go in halo 5 because in one map in halo 4 there is a cyclops being made in the middle of the map. any ways i like the cyclops. never got into the mantis much and i agree that it's a bit too weak. i'd love to see a cyclops in this. because i never played halo wars and didn't see the vehicles from that game.

• Like 1

halo%2Blegends%2Bprototype%2B1.jpgHow about the HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL prototype rediscovered and upgraded  :thumbsup:

that would be really cool too. i actually learned that it is really a cyclops but a new amped up version for a really tough version of the cyclops. the sad thing though was it was destroyed.

• Like 2

The Mantis was ment to be a cheap marine friendly version of the HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL prototype. It is only used by ONI and the Infinity (the infinity was field testing them). It entirely possible to bring in something new to replace them. Cyclopses were great support vehicles in Halo Wars. I think they could be implimented with a melee attack like what they have in Halo Wars. If anyone has played Red Faction Guerrilla and used a walker the attacks could be similar to that. One arm has a Machine gun on it for ranged attacks and the other trigger (left trigger most likey) uses both arms in a smashing motion to crush ghosts and warthogs (or punch if you are facing the sky, to destroy banshees in one hit). Id love to smash people with the Jackhammer attached to its arm....

• Like 2

ok now thats just overpowered XD haha tho i suppose there is a way they could dumb that down 

it would be and i bet they would dumb it down a bit.

The Mantis was ment to be a cheap marine friendly version of the HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL prototype. It is only used by ONI and the Infinity (the infinity was field testing them). It entirely possible to bring in something new to replace them. Cyclopses were great support vehicles in Halo Wars. I think they could be implimented with a melee attack like what they have in Halo Wars. If anyone has played Red Faction Guerrilla and used a walker the attacks could be similar to that. One arm has a Machine gun on it for ranged attacks and the other trigger (left trigger most likey) uses both arms in a smashing motion to crush ghosts and warthogs (or punch if you are facing the sky, to destroy banshees in one hit). Id love to smash people with the Jackhammer attached to its arm....

i'd love to have an ability to hit enemies or vehicles in a body like that. it'd be really fun and OP

• Like 2

I want the Super Mantis (the big mech being built on adrift.)

That thing would be sooooooo OP but sooooo fun!

that is the thing i was talking about before. it looks like a cyclops i thought it was. still thats what i meant and i;d still love that to be incorporated into halo 5

• Like 1

How about a Cyclops gets added in WITH the Mantis? The Mantis is pretty good for an offensive defense, and a Cyclops would make a good offensive. Although, I think the Cyclops would be only useful in Dominion or something that involves destroying bases. The Cyclops does get the plus that a Mantis doesn't, and that's High Torque Joints and it can repair your vehicles!

• Like 2

I dont care what they do they just need to add the cyclops in maybe in campaign it would be in one mission to defend a base against a scarab tank. OR if the covys are attacking a factory to get an artifact which is being installed into the Cyclops cheif deffends the base with the only one of the cyclops that has the  in  it.

• Like 1

A melee vehicle is always tricky to implement into a first person shooter, but i think the cyclops could work. If it had the highest armour of any vehicle to balance out its one gun (maybe a machinegun on one arm) and melee smash that 1 hits warthogs I think it could work. Maps would have to be built around it, but 343i did that for the mantis anyway, and mobility wise the cyclops is similar. Also with the large open cockpit pilot sniping would be possible. Imagine the gamemodes you could play with it. Juggernaught, vehicle ctf, king of the hill (like they tried to impliment in Reach, where the vehicle was the hill)... Also I just want there to be ridiculous kills like jumping and punching a banshee from the sky... 

• Like 2

What I want to see is a group of renegade UNSC that is obsessed with alien tech and species. This would be the perfect way to bring in a wide assortment of human weaponry and vehicles, etc. This would evolve the game while keeping it the same, so to speak. CV

• 2 weeks later...

halo%2Blegends%2Bprototype%2B1.jpgHow about the HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL prototype rediscovered and upgraded  :thumbsup:

This wasnt as much of a vehicle, but more of an armor type from Halo Legends. Possibly, a specilization for Halo 5?

Imo, I always found that the mantis did not fit in Halo 4. It looks "cheaply" made, because it is literally just a rotating gray box with legs and two guns. There's no window, and no survivability to it. It looks like someone with an axe can separate the top part from the bottom. The pilot sits in a box, and there's no telling if an explosion next to the mantis will give him a concussion. It felt like there was no actual intriguing part about the mantis except for its gameplay. Now don't get me wrong, people do like playing in a mantis. However, it does not fit in a story setting.

What UNSC needs is a heavy-armour unit that can withstand explosions and can walk through them. The mantis can just get blown away like a normal person would.

The cyclops has been a controversial vehicle to the UNSC. It was originally just a mining unit, but has proven to take on the Covenant quite well. Engineers should have looked this over to develop the mantis, however it does not have the withstanding capability to hold off in a battle. That's money wasted in the bucket. The Infinity won't accept vehicles that get destroyed easy, and it's men going down with them. Besides, the mantis is very clunky, and so is its movement features. Engineers should have explored the cyclops to develop a war-worthy suit of taking on the Covenant effectively. That box-like cyclops on board the Infinity won't do (it won't do for multiplayer, anyway). Let's look at it this way:

- We are in need of a defensive unit that can hold off an area and take in multiple blasts.

- There are hunters out there who can slam things and shoot blasts.

- Let's counter the hunters, and provide anti-air support. This will help lower the explosion rate.

- We should also counter the wraiths.

- The cyclops has amazing armour capabilities.

- The cyclops can withstand explosions.

- The cyclops has a window!

- And! They can mine and repair when needed.

- Let's make a new Cyclops design, guys.

- (Balance for multiplayer)

The new cyclops can take in more explosives than any other. It is slow moving (just walks), and has two guns. The movements are much more fluid, due to being almost human. The right hand gun is like a machine gun turret. The left hand gun is like a hornet rocket that can lock on to other vehicles. When the cyclops returns to the armory, its guns can be switched to mining and/or repairing other vehicles (not a gameplay feature, just part of the design). Big boys have friendly personalities.

Features:

- Changes to its size is not gigantic, but this new design now counters to be a slightly bigger hunter.

- R button = Turret. L button = single hornet rocket.

- When locked on to a vehicle, three rockets are shot instead of one.

- Convenient against wraiths, hunters, and air vehicles.

- Lasts much longer than any other vehicle. 5 direct hit rocket explosions until damaged, 1 more until heavy damaged, 1 more until explosion. Maybe more if the community demands it.

- Marines won't get a concussion or brain damage when they enter a blast radius.

- Makes great for players who wished to play as hunters. This can be a solution.

- POSSIBLY a thruster pack (just slightly to dodge incoming explosions, the cyclops is heavy)?

Cons:

- Turret is not as powerful as a warthog turret. It is rather just a machine gun, with the same speed of shooting. It still makes a good power against ground infantry.

- Not fast.

- Only one hornet rocket.

- Maneuverable (if you're good enough).

There may be a few moments when they are used in campaign. Chief could be introduced to the first appearance, and it would be introduced as something newly developed by the UNSC. The first appearance could allow the use for a long period throughout the level.

Now pilots can see what they're doing, plus this new vehicle is money well spent!

Approximate size comparisons (only rough estimates, I'm terrible at scaling):

cyclops2-fw.png

How is it?

If you like the idea, then pass it on that this new cyclops should replace the mantis. :D

The mantis could just be a Halo 4 exclusive.

Brilliant Idea! The Mantis does look weird and the cyclops looks better however, it would be good to add the weapons from the Mantis to the Cyclops!

• 2 weeks later...