The Death of FFA

LunarPlains

So, after extensively playing Halo 4 and Regicide, I've come to the conclusion that I'm sure many others have, Regicide is not free-for-all. I mean, it is free-for-all in the sense that you are supposed to kill everybody, but it's not because it boils down to everyone going after one guy, the king, therefore making it pointless to kill anybody else.

Regicide frustrated me from the beginning. I do well the entire game, and then some guy kills me one time and automatically wins. That's not fair. Now, I think what 343 was trying to do with this was to eliminate camping, but I don't camp. I run around the entire game for kills. And even if I did camp, or the king was, you can't really blame them because what are they supposed to do when 5 people are all trying to get a piece of their anus at once? You're entirely screwed.

Admittedly though, it is intense as it often ends in very close games but that's a mixed blessing as that's where a lot of the frustration spawns from. 

A major problem that's prevalent in Regicide is spawning. Take, for example, you as the king kill someone trying to kill you. They then respawn around the corner from you and rush up killing you while you were already one-shot. Now, I would think of this at first as a once in a while annoyance, but no, it happens all the time. (Especially on Haven.) Hell, one game I killed a guy who was trying to throw plasma grenades at me, and I had him spawn right by me and do the same thing three times, the third time he was finally successful.

Well, yes that was in the past. Now, I was really excited when I heard the announcement of a Rumble Pit style FFA playlist. Finally! What I've been waiting for since launch! And... it's DLC only. Now perhaps they will change this later, but come on, that's pretty cruel. To have the only FFA playlist be incredibly frustrating and having the only classic FFA playlist be DLC only. And the reason I'm not buying the DLC is because, having learned my lesson from Halo: Reach, I'll never get to play it in matchmaking and if they're not going to fix the problems already in the game, why should I continue to support it?

Those are my thoughts on the current state of FFA/Regicide in Halo 4. I'd love to hear your feedback and it would be my pleasure to respond. Thanks for taking the time to read my two-cents on FFA matchmaking.

• Like 1

I honestly hate Regicide. I'm not the type to rush in guns blazing and try to take someone down if I can avoid it. I'd much rather use the element of surprise to my advantage... which is nearly impossible when you're the king in Regicide. I'd rather have the lead with no bonuses than be given over shields and a giant "Kill Me" sign above my head.

• Like 1

Um no. 343 made the mode in an attempt to even things out (people tend to chase guy with marker you know, which coincidentally often happens to be amongst the more skilled ones in the lobby too)and to put some fluke into it giving a ****load of points for killing a king.

Understandable, but in that case if it's to help unskilled players, then it gives the unskilled players no motivation to improve. If they can win by just killing the king and not really improving themselves, then what's the point? Besides, the more skilled players should be rewarded rather than punished. If the less skilled players really want to win that badly, they should work to improve their skills.

• Like 1

I agree that more skilled players should be rewarded, but that is just an inherit fallacy within Halo 4. Case in point, the DMR and BoltShot. With these weapons, almost anybody can be dangerous. But that is besides the point.

I used to refer to Regi as an "opportunist's game", and to a certain extent it is. Games can boil down to you being king with 290 points going 21-11 with a Battle Rifle, and you could be left one shot at the end of a battle. Then some Assault Rifle bumrushers comes out of nowhere and finishes you off when he had 265, winning the game. His score might be something like 19-22, and yet he still won. I hav seen this scenario out many times.

On the same token though, I have seen people with nothing more than mad skills and their Battle Rifle decimate everyone nobody what weapon they use, going 29-8. So in that sense, the mode rewards the highly skilled most definitely. People that are decently skilled may be let out to dry in this mode just because of them not being able to effectively deal with the wide array of playstyles that perform effectively in the mode.

I say you have to be really, really good to be successful at the mode most of the time, so in that respect skill is demanded of you. At the same time the game does reward players of lesser skill by giving the king high bounties. I see this as an attempt to even the playing field, but sometimes no matter how high the bounty is you just won't be able to kill a king with a killer 5-shot, wicked strafe, and overshield and damage boosts coming.

I am with you though, I would love to see some more FFA playlists, but Regicide is better than nothing.

• Like 1

first of all to Halogeek99 if you dont like ffa there are 16 other lobbies find one and stop hating on players of real skill and 2 i have to agree with the rest of you regicide is nothing more than a treat for the unskilled and a supreme challenge but more of a punishment to the skilled my best game ever on halo 4 was 32-6 my average is between 23-6 and 18-7 so im not that bad but try as i might i always get last second popped in regicide and lose to some KID who goes like 15-18 which is uterly rediculous i dont know what 343i was thinking but they need to get their heads out of the behinds and give us our ffa back before i leave the halo franchise behind and star following bungie again 343i has been one of the worst thing to happen to halo and they just keep digging their hole deeper and deeper

So, after extensively playing Halo 4 and Regicide, I've come to the conclusion that I'm sure many others have, Regicide is not free-for-all. I mean, it is free-for-all in the sense that you are supposed to kill everybody, but it's not because it boils down to everyone going after one guy, the king, therefore making it pointless to kill anybody else.

Regicide frustrated me from the beginning. I do well the entire game, and then some guy kills me one time and automatically wins. That's not fair. Now, I think what 343 was trying to do with this was to eliminate camping, but I don't camp. I run around the entire game for kills. And even if I did camp, or the king was, you can't really blame them because what are they supposed to do when 5 people are all trying to get a piece of their anus at once? You're entirely screwed.

Admittedly though, it is intense as it often ends in very close games but that's a mixed blessing as that's where a lot of the frustration spawns from. 

A major problem that's prevalent in Regicide is spawning. Take, for example, you as the king kill someone trying to kill you. They then respawn around the corner from you and rush up killing you while you were already one-shot. Now, I would think of this at first as a once in a while annoyance, but no, it happens all the time. (Especially on Haven.) Hell, one game I killed a guy who was trying to throw plasma grenades at me, and I had him spawn right by me and do the same thing three times, the third time he was finally successful.

Well, yes that was in the past. Now, I was really excited when I heard the announcement of a Rumble Pit style FFA playlist. Finally! What I've been waiting for since launch! And... it's DLC only. Now perhaps they will change this later, but come on, that's pretty cruel. To have the only FFA playlist be incredibly frustrating and having the only classic FFA playlist be DLC only. And the reason I'm not buying the DLC is because, having learned my lesson from Halo: Reach, I'll never get to play it in matchmaking and if they're not going to fix the problems already in the game, why should I continue to support it?

Those are my thoughts on the current state of FFA/Regicide in Halo 4. I'd love to hear your feedback and it would be my pleasure to respond. Thanks for taking the time to read my two-cents on FFA matchmaking.

i agree with u i hate regicde becase if youre the best player u are rewarded with a big red marker over youre head luckily majestic dlc has a faa playist with normal ffa in it if u hate regicde go play majestic ffa then