Eagle's Talon RP - Off Duty RP

D-38 Boss

IC: JL - Reyna - Geo

Once, twice, thrice. All 3 Spartans were together again, 'Lightning' squad now reunited aboard the UNSC Eagle's talon. As the team walked towards where Geo stated the mission board was, JL was in the back of the trio, happily enjoying his hamburger, french fries, soft drink, fried chickens, and chocolate sundae.

Reyna, meanwhile, was simply polishing and re-polishing every single piece of her Sniper Rifle and it's pieces. Nobody, not even Geo, could tell what her emotions were. Directly opposite of JL, who was quite happy about his food. Evidently.

And finally there was Geo in the lead, who towered over just about anyone else in the ship. He'd been on missions as Lightning Squad's leader before, but never had he actually gone on such a ... full frontal op. It was rare that they did things that hadn't been planned and triple checked by ONI, and so serving aboard Eagle's Talon and going on the 'missions' there were a totally different thing from what he expected.

Not that it mattered. They would finish their missions with the least casualties to their enemies, no scratches to themselves, the best success rate, and if they had a choice, they'd pick the hardest ones. Together, they each reached the hangar bay, where they quickly accessed a terminal to receive their mission.

//Reports are coming in of a cloaked ship positioned on Mars. We managed to get a few I.D. hits, suggesting it's a covenant ship. We're sending you there to investigate. It's a medium sized Destroyer class, so expect Sangheili and Unggoy to be there in decent numbers. get into the ship, Find out what it's doing there, and destroy it. Make it look like an accident. The truce between the humans and Covenant is Shaky at best. We need to make sure this situation doesn't get out of hand. Good Luck.//

"What a joke," JL mumbled as he gulped down the hamburger and moved on to ravaging the french fries, "They want us to blow it up without making it look like we did it. I don't get it. Why can't they just be peaceful? It's simple."

"Orders are orders, fool." Reyna said. Nothing followed.

Geo sighed. It was a simple mission; nothing wrong. He'd been hoping that the missions would have been more than just the 3 of them; both JL and Reyna needed more interaction with others. But, it wasn't that often that Spartan Fireteams were sent alongside other marine corps as they went onto the missions.

Uploading ALL the data from the Talon's database, he placed his helmet on, the visor flashing under the light of the hangar bay, reflected and refracted by the blue and purple visors that also covered JL and Reyna's faces. "Now, now. Lets just focus on the mission at hand. Pack our stuff. We'll get there on a standard D79 Gunship."

JL shook his head, and his team members heard both his voice from the air around them and from the internal comms in their helmets like an energetic echo. "Just standard? Wow. Its like they're testing us. Can I-"

"I'm the pilot."

"Fine. Old man."

OOC: JL, Reyna and Geo to Mission thread

And also, I really can't stand editing colors while there's such a dark background, so I give up. Not using it!

It had been forty minutes since Wolfpack arrived. Sergeant Malachi didn't even bother taking a shower since, before their departure, he had freshened up enough to be attending the annual UNSC Marine Corps Ball, of course at the ridiculously high (and mandatory) expense of two-hundred credits for admittion. He was wondering if the Talon was going to make good and start paying him some overtime, though technically they were off the operation. They had done what they needed in reconning the colony on Harvest, and as far as he knew the security recorder's contents would be passed on and any related operations would be assigned elsewhere.

That's what he hoped anyway. The whole thing had a bad vibe about it. As he stepped into the Talon's bridge for the ritual of handing off the After-Action Reports, he tried to avoid any kind of hint at contact with the crew's intelligence staff for fear of being roped into uneccessary questions and possible reassignment. As far as he was concerned, he had done what they asked by grabbing the black box and nothing more.

Arriving beside Admiral Parker, he snapped a salute. "Sir," he said sternly, the reports tucked neatly under his arm.

The Sergeant straightened out, dropping his hand to his side as his other presented the AARs. "The After Action Reports of our reconnaisance mission. Speaking freely to save you the read, it's a whole lot of nothing prior to our recovery of the colony's black box."

James tensed slightly, clentching his jaw after he finished talking, silently chiding himself for bringing up the security recorder. The op resonated bad vibrations, and he knew if this were persued further, it would be his team continuing the investigation, that was IF it didn't warrant a higher tier of special forces.

"Will that be all?"

Kel walked through the ship. He had been in his room for about 5 days. It wasn't like Kel to hide, being the Arbiter and all. Still, his initiative was acceptable: Kel was designing a new tool that would attach to the engines of the Eagle's Talon. This augmentation would allow the ship to go thousands of miles faster and be a lot stronger, thanks to the use of liquid nitrogen, which he 'borrowed' from a cook. Hopefully the Administrative Officers would use this get better things done, and quicker. Now to attach it.

The Arbiter was carrying the attachment to the engine room, and he was inconspicuous because he had shrunk the device to the size of an encyclopedia. When approached by a tech team, they asked him what was going on.

"Hey, you. Elite! Why are you going to the engine room? It is restricted to the Administrative Officers and the Engineers." said Doctor Hamband, eying what Kel was carrying.

"I have special orders from FLEETCOM to go to the engine room and add something, now get out of my way." the Arbiter kept going. A minor inconvenience, as soon the engine room would be locked down for the engineers to work. Finally coming inside, he saw that it was empty. Kel pulled out the device and stuck it on the main engines. He coded the device to activate in 5 seconds, with the access number 50246734. The device took into effect, and suddenly the ride felt smoother, and more refreshing.

-----------

On Kel's way back, he spotted a local holographic news board. WELCOME OUR NEWEST CREW MEMBERS: Lightning Squad! Geo is the tall and brave spartan II, who leads the team! The board went on to explain the rest of Lightning Squad. Kel was most definitely taller than Geo, at 8 feet tall, Kel was taller than anybody, and it would stay that way, unless there were some augments. Geo actually interested Kel, so he wanted to have a talk with the Spartan.

((Frankenzer, go here to apply: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25368-eagles-talon-rp-sign-upinterestooc-thread/ ))

Razgriz squad had returned from their mission, And were stowing their gear in the Armory.

"I need a shower..." Ty groaned.

"All of us do." Joe said.

Ty cleared his SMG's chamber and flipped on the safety. then slipped it into place in his locker.

"I've got to go give the Admiral the AAR." Mathison said. "You guys go get cleaned up."

"Yes sir." Logan replied.

James shook his head. "Negative, sir. No signs of combat. General wear on the colony, but nothing to hint at an engagement. Scans yielded no explosives residue either. If I were to guess, if there was an insurrectionist cell, they packed up and left by the time we arrived--wasted no effort on covering their tracks either."

"I doubt that... these are untrained Colonists, not counter-espionage experts, we'd have seen something... At any rate, good job. I'll look over your full report and send it off to Command. Dismissed."

Parker turned and placed the report on his desk.

"Miller, I need to ask a favor of you..."

Malachi gave a crisp salute and about-faced out of the bridge, all the while considering Parker's insight on Insurrectionist capabilities. Personally, he wanted to throw in his own two cents on the matter, having first-hand seen what Innies could manage, much less Colonists alone. The UNSC trained its people well, there was no question about that. But insurgents always had their own tricks, and having managed to survive some few decades against an enemy stronger than them, even stronger than the UNSC for a time, their skills weren't without merit.

The Harvest colony could've easily vanished under their radar given a night's notice and preparation. How they did it was open to interpretation and speculation, but that begged a bigger question of what tipped them off in the first place. An inside job was the only way it could've been possible. It wouldn't be the first time symptathizers had worked their way into the Naval ranks, he thought, shortly after reminding himself that this op wasn't his problem anymore.

Nonetheless, his eyes were open and ears were to the ground now. He'd later inform his team to watch what they say around unfamiliar faces, but for now, he would take a trip to the mess hall.

"And you're sure about that?"

"Yes... They disappeared without a trace. No signs of a struggle. And we all know Insurrectionists can't resist spraying their logo everywhere." Parker said. He was in a conference with UNSC Command, not in person, of course.

"So, what do you suggest?"

"I had Miller launch a scanning probe, and scan for anything possible. The results... concerned me."

"What did you find Miller?"

Miller Materialized next to Parker.

"Nothing. not a single thing. and that's what worried me. No lingering DNA evidence. No waste, no bacteria. nothing. the entire place was sterile, besides contamination from Wolfpack. I doubt the Innies would be able to sterilize an entire colony before they left."

"So... what does this mean?"

"My best guess... Is the Promethean's have figured out a way to travel off of Requiem. That explains why Razgriz had no contact when they were on surface."

"Do you have proof?"

"No. but i don't have anything to disprove it either."

"Alright. we'll look into it. Anything else?"

"I'd like to requisition more recreational supplies for the men. They could use it." Parker said.

"Denied. Command out."

They cut the feed before Parker could react.

James tapped his fork against his food tray with a low clank, barely minding the fact that he had barely touched the steak bites and potatoes occupying it. He was at that stage where he could enjoy the steamy aroma of mushroom gravy, tangy steak marinade and garlic seasoning without so much as thinking about taking a bite. Hunger wasn't the issue anymore, as he soon realized that it had been mistaken from boredom.

"Boss, I'm gonna eat that if you don't," said Lockett, sitting across from his team leader, already half-finished with his own broccoli quiche.

Whimsically, James lifted his knife from the table and aimed the shank in the Private's direction. "I'd like to see you try, sunshine."

"There ya go. Can't blame me for trying," he said going back to his own try. "Still though; three minutes is a long time to leave a perfectly good steak alone. What's on your mind?"

"Another uneventful recon op, that's what."

Aaron rolled his eyes, leaning back in his seat. "That just happens. We're recon for a reason. It's not like every sortie we do is going to be a Wild West hit."

"I'm not expecting it to be, in fact if I don't have to fire my gun at someone, I can call that day a good one. But you have to realize; the things we get into, the things they send us to snoop out, sometimes ending up being situations meant for the pay grades above ours."

"I don't know why you're afraid of us getting in over our heads. We never really bucked an order on a recon op, which is specifically in place to keep us from getting in over our heads."

"Okay, Lockett," James said matter-of-factly as he set his fork and knife down beside his tray. "Fact," he raised an index finger, "an entire colony on Harvest has been vacated. Fact: Mission parameters were to take a look, which we did, which yielded nothing--listening so far? Objective: Recon Harvest colony and eliminate Insurgent cell with lethal force if needed."

"Which we found none of. Where is this going?"

"We've done insurgent takedowns before--ordered, authorized and compartmentalized kill orders in the past year. How many of them ended up with the colony turning up literally empty?"

"None."

James stabbed an affirming finger toward the Private. "Fact. Something else was clearly going on and here we were on station to check it out. Whether the UNSC knew about it or not doesn't matter, but I'm thinking with something so out of the ordinary, we had a high risk of seeing something we shouldn't have. And when that day comes, I'm not gonna be the one with a bullet in my head when I'm not looking."

"Woah woah, easy. I get it. Which is why I'm saying let's keep our orders to the letter. Ignorance is bliss, right?"

"Damn right."

Ty was sitting in his bunk, listening to music.

"Hey..." Logan said, standing above him. Ty didn't respond.

"Hello?" Still no answer. He kicked the bottom of his bunk.

"Hey!"

"What?"

"It's chow time."

"Not really that hungry."

"Then just come and give me your food."

"Fine..." Ty groaned.

"Something wrong?"

"Just been feeling off lately." Ty stood up and followed Logan down to the mess hall. They grabbed their food quickly and sat down.

"Where's Sarge and Joe?"

"No clue. might be down in the Armory."

Ty took a quick bite of Steak. He pushed it over to Logan.

"Not good?"

"Eh, not hungry."

He opened the can of soda he had and took a sip.

"So... any news on our next mission?"

"None at all..."

"All these assignments with no action... It's a little frustrating..."

"Can't complain...No one can get shot if no one is shooting"

"Real insightful Logan." Ty rolled his eyes.

"I'm serious. Looking for a fight has never ended well for anyone."

Ty downed the rest of the soda, then crushed the can and tossed into the nearby trash can.

"Whatever... I'm going back to the bunk..."

"Something wrong?"

"Nothing."