Guest ducain23

Thank you Ducain for posting this video! I think that it will really help some of the early Forgers out there step up to the next level. I know that we would both agree that it's really important to have a clean map to showcase if you're taking your maps seriously.

To offer a slight variation on Ducain's method, I wanted to explain how I achieve tight flush layers between pieces. Like Ducain, the method relies on quick tight taps of your height adjustment.

Once you've set the location of the two pieces so that they overlap, clearly showing a height difference, you're ready to adjust and make the two perfectly flush. This way can help you when "Z Fighting" is present by giving you a height that is still close enough to not cause bumps in the action while still allowing one texture to take over the other.

Like Ducain, I'll start with a somewhat drastic height bump and quick press of "A" in order to lock a piece into a height that is pretty close to where I want it to be. Since you've released the object at a particular height, the Forge treats that exact height as a new "Home" position for the piece. What this means is that if you bump the height up a little bit and then right back down, the piece recognizes the last release point and will slowly drift back into that exact position as it slows down. If you press too hard on the height adjustment, just a few bumper clicks can bring you back to that "Home" height again. From there, I begin fine tuning the "Home" height until it's right where I want it to be. I do so by taking advantage of Forge's slow drift as a piece approaches the "Home". You'll notice that as the piece nears the recently set height, it will slow down and drift into the position. That small window of time is the best opportunity to press "A" again and lock off the height into the correct position. Even if you are a little off once you release the piece, it should still be closer to the correct height than before, which is good progress. From there, you repeat the process until the two heights are prefectly flush or set to the desired position. If it's not initially intuitive for you, remember, if your height is just above where you want it to be, then lower the object below the desired height set piece and bring it back up towards its "Home" height. That way, the piece will experience the slow drift while crossing the plane of the proper height that you want to achieve. Releasing the object just as its texture appears above your other piece is an easy indicator that the heights are flush and you should quickly release the object.

This method takes time to get used to, and relies on a soft touch. A pointer here would be to tap the outside edges of your controller bumpers so that you can have the most fine and minor adjustment possible. Often times, pressing the center of your bumper buttons forces a more drastic change in height, so stick to the outside edge.

Since the height drift in the Forge is consistent, you'll train yourself to know when to release based on how far off the objects are from each other. Practice this one a little bit and you'll be setting tight flush pieces subconciously in no time. If anyone wants me to go over this method with them visually, shoot me a PM and we'll hop online some time soon so that I can show you. I'd be happy to help. That's what we're here for after all.

Thanks again to Ducain for putting in the work for everyone!

HAPPY FORGING!!!

I already posted on this earlier when it was put up on facebook but might as well put it here too. " yes this definitely works and it's the best we have for now. It's a shame we lost such a critical part of forging but still love Halo no matter what." I still don't understand so much compromising and going backward on a game but overall I am very pleased with Halo 4.