should bloom stay  

67 members have voted

1. 1. bloom is awsome right?

• yes bloom works in games generally
    • no but i like it in halo: reach
    • yes but not in halo: reach
    • no i hate bloom in all video games
    • i dont care halo is halo.

I think people are still missing a huge point in all of this, Bloom and No Bloom are having their own playlists, so if you want it, play in one playlist, if you dont, play in the other. I dont think 343 would completely turn the game upside down, they have to cater to a wide audience, so they're merely adding another playlist to please the people who dont want Bloom, the core game is still gonna be there. What i want to know, is this gonna be the case with the likes of Armour Lock and others as well? or will it effect Armour Lock and others across the whole game?

agreed

Good question Iceman. Unfortunately I have only a partial answer for that based on what I do know of MegaloScript. AL seems as if it is executing a function to change in memory, the value of the timer and the health of the equipment. I say in memory, because that is the only way the game engine would be able to keep this change separated from other game types, and not force 343 to have to re-issue new game discs or digital downloads of the game. Now assuming this is how they are doing it, it is logical to assume that the particular script for this is only being executed once a set number or variables is achieved. Such as.... is the player in this game type? Is the player in this variant? Is it matchmaking, custom etc?

So the part I cannot answer with any degree of certainty or knowledge is how the game engine handles the memory flow or stores tag values in memory. And how often does memory get flushed during the coarse of the game,. It is quite a possibility to see perhaps something residual in memory get carried over to a campaign match by mistake. That would suck though. Imagine the poor guy playing through legendary on POA. Just as he lowers a elite zealots shields, a fuel rod blast comes his way. He hits armor lock to avoid it and the plasma rounds coming his way. Only to find that his AL was half drained by the fuel rod, and now stands no chance in between 2 elite zealots charging at him. Of coarse this is an exaggeration, but none the less you would not want to go into a battle with a tactic in mind, only to have that tactic stomped on because a memory edited value got carried over by mistake.

So yeah Iceman, it is quite a possibility that after the TU and enough playthough that we may find little bugs like this. It sucks but it is part of the process.

• Like 1

dont insult me...i have been playing longer then most. halo CE came with my origional xbox that we got close to launch. i fell in love the instant i saw the warthog for the first time. i played coop and deathmatch with my brothers for all hours of the night. we picked the xbox over the ps2 and we did not regret it even though we had nothing else but halo. even my brothers who only played FPS on pc only loved the game because it had that pc feel...halo is iconic but at the end of the day its a video game not somthing to kill eachother over. speaking as a ten year halo fan i say we are a community so we should act like one instead of fighting over stupid pointless crap like bloom.....bloom is such a small change yet people act like it changes the whole game. its pathetic.

Dont lecture me about ten years of halo because i grew up with it. i purchased halo CE five times in my life. i purchased halo 2 three times. my first copy was stolen and the second copy broke. i have gotten the halo triple pack and i bought halo 3 twice after my first disk got cracked. along with odst and reach. i have contributed more to bungie and halo sales then most fans. so dont even go down that road.

i have been playing halo since it began yet i love AL and bloom. that just goes to show that 343 cannot please everyone. The fanbase is simply to big and diverse. Halo is one of the most important franchises of all time sure. but its not worth losing our humanity over...grow up its only a video game. in ten years a franchise that is far better will come out and it will have the same impact as halo did. so even if halo was sucked into a vortex. their are other good game franchises in existance. some of them are as good as halo.

I wasn't trying to insult you. But as you said. Its only Halo. I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just expressing my opinion. No need to freak out. But to me and many others, it's more than just a video game. Dont think im trying to insult you again, I'm not. Halo just means a lot to me.

I wasn't trying to insult you. But as you said. Its only Halo. I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just expressing my opinion. No need to freak out. But to me and many others, it's more than just a video game. Dont think im trying to insult you again, I'm not. Halo just means a lot to me.

it means alot to me too. if halo was sucked into a vortex i would cry. but i wouldnt kill my self. i was just telling him that its only halo because he seemed a little stressed. we should all lighten up. even if armor lock and bloom make the game too easy or promote luck (which they do not). they are still fun mechanics. and im going to get alot of flak for this. but i would rather have a fun unbalanced game then a boring balanced game. not that armor lock unbalances the game and dont get me wrong i would still find the game fun without AL or bloom. but i think you get my point. bungie makes games that THEY love to play. they dont craft their games for basement dwellers. sure they give the basement dwellers some playlists because their is no reason why they shouldnt. but the overall game experiance is meant to be fun and challenging. not just challenging.

bungie makes their games to their own taste and thats why the games are so polished. thats what made halo1 so good. halo1 is reguarded by most as the best in the series. and that is because they didnt have 20 billion fans all chattering and expecting this and that. they where free of a fanbase so they just made a game that they wanted to play and said hey it comes with your xbox go check it out. thats what made the game so amazing even ten years later. they made gameplay that passed the test of time. 343 doesnt even have to change the gameplay, all they had to do was give the game some new paint. the gameplay still holds up even against modern shooters

and IMO thats what makes halo reach good. bungie just went nuts and made features that they thought was fun. but i guess when people pay 60$ they expect a certain amount of fanservice. when i pay 60$ all i expect is a polished game...even if it is an entirely different game then the previous. as long as its a polished game. and i 100% trust bungie to make a polished game after playing their past five games. that is why im exited for their new IP. hell halo2 was the most unpolished halo game in the series and it was still epic. it just goes to show that bungie can make a good game even with major time constraints and a corporation breathing down their backs.

it means alot to me too. if halo was sucked into a vortex i would cry. but i wouldnt kill my self. i was just telling him that its only halo because he seemed a little stressed. we should all lighten up. even if armor lock and bloom make the game too easy or promote luck (which they do not). they are still fun mechanics. and im going to get alot of flak for this. but i would rather have a fun unbalanced game then a boring balanced game. not that armor lock unbalances the game and dont get me wrong i would still find the game fun without AL or bloom. but i think you get my point. bungie makes games that THEY love to play. they dont craft their games for basement dwellers. sure they give the basement dwellers some playlists because their is no reason why they shouldnt. but the overall game experiance is meant to be fun and challenging. not just challenging.

bungie makes their games to their own taste and thats why the games are so polished. thats what made halo1 so good. halo1 is reguarded by most as the best in the series. and that is because they didnt have 20 billion fans all chattering and expecting this and that. they where free of a fanbase so they just made a game that they wanted to play and said hey it comes with your xbox go check it out. thats what made the game so amazing even ten years later. they made gameplay that passed the test of time. 343 doesnt even have to change the gameplay, all they had to do was give the game some new paint. the gameplay still holds up even against modern shooters

and IMO thats what makes halo reach good. bungie just went nuts and made features that they thought was fun. but i guess when people pay 60$ they expect a certain amount of fanservice. when i pay 60$ all i expect is a polished game...even if it is an entirely different game then the previous. as long as its a polished game. and i 100% trust bungie to make a polished game after playing their past five games. that is why im exited for their new IP. hell halo2 was the most unpolished halo game in the series and it was still epic. it just goes to show that bungie can make a good game even with major time constraints and a corporation breathing down their backs.

Dude, let's just agree to disagree. No matter how big a deal people make someone will wind up unhappy. I'm tired of arguing, let's just end this whole argument between us. It's getting boreing. Agreed?

I don't care very much about the bloom. In one side it adds a bit of reality to the game but halo is not realistic at all XD(no offense at all i love halo because of that). and if it's taken away it will give it a more halo 3 feeling. In both ways it's fine for me :)

I don't care very much about the bloom. In one side it adds a bit of reality to the game but halo is not realistic at all XD(no offense at all i love halo because of that). and if it's taken away it will give it a more halo 3 feeling. In both ways it's fine for me :)

halo hasnt been realistic but reach seems to be the most realistic in the series. well certain armor abilities might be unrealistic but i would like to think that if we ever made soldiers like spartans that the combat would be fairly simular. the us army already has somthing like a spartan lazer mounted on planes and also they have talked about the new smart grenade launchers that seem to work like the reach grenade launcher. it has smart grenades that allow you to detonate them after they get behind your enemys cover....pretty nifty...and they stole it from halo.

I dont see the problem you noobs have with bloom....you want to not have to keep track of your guns recoil? whats next you ganna remove recoil? the dmr bloom is fine and it was worse in the beta yet still fine. i enjoyed it in the beta and in the final release they tweaked it so that you can fire much faster. i dont see why you complain, just because you lack the skill to time your shots.

if you want to spam the trigger them go play call of duty. is a hardcore game like counter strike. and hardcore games have bloom. in real life if you spam the trigger you wont hit crap...yet in reach if you spam the trigger even with bloom you can still hit stuff decently because you are a spartan. if you hate bloom so much why dont you try crouching. it makes it easier to hit people. they shouldn't remove bloom just for the noobs who cant aim or time their shots.

I dont even notice the bloom because i am synched with my dmr. if you remove bloom then the dmr is broken. the battle rifle was origionally going to be semi auto like the dmr but they had to make it 3 shot burst because people would just spam the trigger and get kills in under two seconds. It was so overpowered they considered removing the BR completly, but by making it 3 round burst you had to wait before fireing another burst. the bloom fixed that problem in the same way. sure you can spam the trigger but it is not overpowered because you wont hit anything. Personally i dont want to get killed in 5 rapid shots from across the map and i dont think you do either.

Bloom keeps the DMR from being a super overpowered spawn killing machine. Please 343 keep the bloom in the game. its what bungie would have wanted.

I dont think recoil should be in it. It wasnt in the first halos. And the reason it sucked on reach was because they only put it on there to be more like CoD. But in cod you can control your recoil by aiming. In reach, theres nothing to do. It was a hit and miss for this game.

I dont think recoil should be in it. It wasnt in the first halos. And the reason it sucked on reach was because they only put it on there to be more like CoD. But in cod you can control your recoil by aiming. In reach, theres nothing to do. It was a hit and miss for this game.

the reason you can control your recoil by aiming in cod is because the guns have hardly any recoil. in any hardcore game...counter strike for example...spamming the trigger will amost always get you killed in most situations. you shouldnt really be able to control your recoil because that is the nature of recoil. in real life when a gun recoils it throws off your aim slightly. you have to re adjust your aim and then fire again...that is what bloom effectivly simulates...cod is a game that has fake bloom. in cod even if you had no crossair on the screen you would still hit people most of the time. the guns shoot in a perfect line alot of the time. even when fireing from the hip...in real life you have to keep calm and breath...not hold down your trigger like a madman. or you will waist all your ammo and get killed...thats just how guns work..bungie was tired of having guns that shoot 99% straight with little to no recoil.

I never really disliked bloom in Reach. (it isn't new to the series either) The concept is great, it adds to the skill gap. Noobs or bad players will have a hard time pacing their shots while keeping their aim on their enemy, so the better player should get the kill most of the time. It also feels very rewarding to take out an enemy shooting calmly when he is spamming furiously and can't hit you once.

However, watching MLG Anaheim brought out the darker side of the same coin for me. It was always there, but I didn't really bother with it. Sure, spamming will sometimes grant you a lucky kill that you "did not deserve", but it is still random and not the most reliable choice to make. In theory, that is. Spamming at close range in Reach is obviously the better decision, however it is actually more efficient to keep spamming instead of waiting for your bloom to reset (which takes ages). And the "acceptable spam range" is a bit too large, in my opinion.

The ability to take a risk by spamming the trigger is acceptable, however the game shouldn't make its success rate greater than the odds of getting the kill by pacing your shots. And that is the case for Reach. It brings out frustrating moments.

What does this have to do with MLG Anaheim? I've seen shots being missed that should have hit, and i've seen shots hit that should have missed. The effect of bloom not functioning perfectly is much greater on a competitive level like MLG. I got frustrated, and I wasn't even playing.

Reach the way it is works, but like I've said a lot so far, it can get frustrating sometimes. Most of the frustration comes from the jerks that abuse game mechanics such as armor abilities (but that's another story), but some of it comes from missing that clutch headshot or getting out-DMR'd at medium range by someone spamming. So while there is no reason to complain, a small change would be welcome. My word on these changes:

Removing bloom entirely for certain playlists has certainly caught my attention. Reach without bloom would be totally different, and while the skill gap may be reduced a bit (but can be increased again by other game mechanics), not having to keep an eye on bloom will really be a welcome change and a pleasant feeling. All you have to do is aim and strafe, and you will be able to focus on other things. Such as enjoying the game. However, bloom was added amongst other reasons as a balance issue. Removing it completely causes the weapon balance to collapse almost entirely. How will the DMR be better than the pistol at long range? Who will want to pick it up? Will the pistol not dominate everything? I assume the two won't be able to co-exist in the same playlist, UNLESS their firerates are adjusted. I am really interested in 343i's solution to this issue, because playing halo again without having to worry about bloom will certainly be a pleasurable experience.

Quick question: how will the zero bloom pistol work in CEA? Zero bloom, but with the same firerate and damage (5-shot) as the way it is now? Or an exact copy of the relatively slow-firing, 3-shot kill CE pistol?

Reducing bloom to 85% is also interesting. Of course I will have to play and see how bloom will be better or worse, but I do have some worries about this. Bloom should punish spammers and reward pacers more than the way it is now, right? My fix for this would be to increase the max bloom, and decrease the bloom reset time. Won't decreasing bloom allow spam to dominate at even further ranges? Or will the "bloom decrease" just keep the max bloom and increase the bloom reset rate?

All in all, I am really interested in and looking forward to the changes being made by 343i. Not because I've always wanted the removal or fix of bloom, but because it is a welcome change. When Original Reach gameplay becomes frustrating or so, I will be able to hop back to a bloom-free classic experience, and be assured every shot will be where I want it to be. and play for FUN, if for some reason I can't find it in the original playlists. Or maybe i will like the 85% bloom playlist more and play that all the time. Even better.

One thing is sure: I will experiment with bloom and all other settings myself to see which gametype I like the most. Because after all, a big part of it is just personal preference...

For more info regarding your questions on bloom and how they are doing this for CEA, refer to my post in the "Reach" forums. Post is entitled "Happy Birthday Hater" or something like that. I explain in detail what bloom is and how 343 is adjusting certain game mechanics to mimic original CE weapons.

yes biggles im happy with that, yes people dont like bloom and yes people dont like AA WE KNOW! So stop making a thread about it when there is already a bunch, if you hate reach so much go play halo 3, i dont agree with reach so i play halo 3, i dont whine about it and dont make massive comments on why reach sucks. Stop the bitching and just go play halo 3

• Like 1

I never really disliked bloom in Reach. (it isn't new to the series either) The concept is great, it adds to the skill gap. Noobs or bad players will have a hard time pacing their shots while keeping their aim on their enemy, so the better player should get the kill most of the time. It also feels very rewarding to take out an enemy shooting calmly when he is spamming furiously and can't hit you once.

However, watching MLG Anaheim brought out the darker side of the same coin for me. It was always there, but I didn't really bother with it. Sure, spamming will sometimes grant you a lucky kill that you "did not deserve", but it is still random and not the most reliable choice to make. In theory, that is. Spamming at close range in Reach is obviously the better decision, however it is actually more efficient to keep spamming instead of waiting for your bloom to reset (which takes ages). And the "acceptable spam range" is a bit too large, in my opinion.

The ability to take a risk by spamming the trigger is acceptable, however the game shouldn't make its success rate greater than the odds of getting the kill by pacing your shots. And that is the case for Reach. It brings out frustrating moments.

What does this have to do with MLG Anaheim? I've seen shots being missed that should have hit, and i've seen shots hit that should have missed. The effect of bloom not functioning perfectly is much greater on a competitive level like MLG. I got frustrated, and I wasn't even playing.

Reach the way it is works, but like I've said a lot so far, it can get frustrating sometimes. Most of the frustration comes from the jerks that abuse game mechanics such as armor abilities (but that's another story), but some of it comes from missing that clutch headshot or getting out-DMR'd at medium range by someone spamming. So while there is no reason to complain, a small change would be welcome. My word on these changes:

Removing bloom entirely for certain playlists has certainly caught my attention. Reach without bloom would be totally different, and while the skill gap may be reduced a bit (but can be increased again by other game mechanics), not having to keep an eye on bloom will really be a welcome change and a pleasant feeling. All you have to do is aim and strafe, and you will be able to focus on other things. Such as enjoying the game. However, bloom was added amongst other reasons as a balance issue. Removing it completely causes the weapon balance to collapse almost entirely. How will the DMR be better than the pistol at long range? Who will want to pick it up? Will the pistol not dominate everything? I assume the two won't be able to co-exist in the same playlist, UNLESS their firerates are adjusted. I am really interested in 343i's solution to this issue, because playing halo again without having to worry about bloom will certainly be a pleasurable experience.

Quick question: how will the zero bloom pistol work in CEA? Zero bloom, but with the same firerate and damage (5-shot) as the way it is now? Or an exact copy of the relatively slow-firing, 3-shot kill CE pistol?

Reducing bloom to 85% is also interesting. Of course I will have to play and see how bloom will be better or worse, but I do have some worries about this. Bloom should punish spammers and reward pacers more than the way it is now, right? My fix for this would be to increase the max bloom, and decrease the bloom reset time. Won't decreasing bloom allow spam to dominate at even further ranges? Or will the "bloom decrease" just keep the max bloom and increase the bloom reset rate?

All in all, I am really interested in and looking forward to the changes being made by 343i. Not because I've always wanted the removal or fix of bloom, but because it is a welcome change. When Original Reach gameplay becomes frustrating or so, I will be able to hop back to a bloom-free classic experience, and be assured every shot will be where I want it to be. and play for FUN, if for some reason I can't find it in the original playlists. Or maybe i will like the 85% bloom playlist more and play that all the time. Even better.

One thing is sure: I will experiment with bloom and all other settings myself to see which gametype I like the most. Because after all, a big part of it is just personal preference...

well sometimes at closer ranges it seems that spamming is the best solution but i find it more effective instead to get a good rhythm going. you need to find the right combo of spamming and pacing...usually i try and get a few well placed headshots...then spam my way home..but it depends on the situation. that's why i think bloom adds strategy. if you can manipulate the bloom you can get kills faster then if someone is spamming or even pacing...its all about rhythm and timing. if you listen to fire you can tell what kind of battle is going on...if you hear spamming then someone is panicking..if you hear casual pacing then someone is sniping with the DMR. it also helps the battle sounds to be more realistic...on halo3 you would hear the same string of BR fire at the same pace constantly...it felt unrealistic especially from far distance...but now you hear a variety of different speeds in gunfire from across the map...something like this is a small detail but it adds lots to the quality of the awesome reach sound effects and also helps with MP immersion

well sometimes at closer ranges it seems that spamming is the best solution but i find it more effective instead to get a good rhythm going. you need to find the right combo of spamming and pacing...usually i try and get a few well placed headshots...then spam my way home..but it depends on the situation. that's why i think bloom adds strategy. if you can manipulate the bloom you can get kills faster then if someone is spamming or even pacing...its all about rhythm and timing. if you listen to fire you can tell what kind of battle is going on...if you hear spamming then someone is panicking..if you hear casual pacing then someone is sniping with the DMR. it also helps the battle sounds to be more realistic...on halo3 you would hear the same string of BR fire at the same pace constantly...it felt unrealistic especially from far distance...but now you hear a variety of different speeds in gunfire from across the map...something like this is a small detail but it adds lots to the quality of the awesome reach sound effects and also helps with MP immersion

True, and I agree completely, it adds depth and realism to the gameplay. I didn't say I disliked bloom, I love how bloom mixes things up and increases the skill gap. It's just that it bothers me sometimes to always have to focus on pacing your shots. And it's even more frustrating if you make the right decision (spam or pace) and still lose because of how spamming is a tiny bit more effective than intended. I love bloom and I will love it even more when it works perfectly.

I'm just saying a zero bloom classic playlist will be a welcome change, because it requires a lot less focus if you can just point and shoot. And it will be more fun.

• Like 1

cod is a terrible game. i played nuketown today and it was horrible. bloom and shields keep it to a battle of skills and wits. instead of a 3 round burst to any single part of your body.

Three shots you say? Well then, wouldn't it require quite the amount of skill to keep yourself alive and get those shots first? I'd think so....

halo hasnt been realistic but reach seems to be the most realistic in the series. well certain armor abilities might be unrealistic but i would like to think that if we ever made soldiers like spartans that the combat would be fairly simular. the us army already has somthing like a spartan lazer mounted on planes and also they have talked about the new smart grenade launchers that seem to work like the reach grenade launcher. it has smart grenades that allow you to detonate them after they get behind your enemys cover....pretty nifty...and they stole it from halo.

haha. and the AA-12 shotgun has little to no recoil. check our FPS Russia's youtube chanel to see it. if we have guns now that have no recoil, what about in 500 years?

Three shots you say? Well then, wouldn't it require quite the amount of skill to keep yourself alive and get those shots first? I'd think so....

you have a point but if you find a cheesy tactic like camping for example it can get you alot more kills then the same cheesiness would in reach. his point is that in cod to kill an enemy you simply have to shoot them in any part of their body. why would you try and dodge bullets? better to find a good spot or just run around knifing people. in halo their are several ways of taking down an enemy. like weakening them with a nade then finishing them with gunfire....i have had my shields dropped way in advance yet i still win that battle because i used the enviroment to my advantage. their are dozens of kill strategies in reach like useing the plasma pistol for example. the shield system promotes strategy and allowes bungie to add weapons that are made for shield dropping. in cod its a bunch of dudes with FA MAS assault rifles running around trying to get killstreaks. thats pretty much as far as the strategy goes in cod and team work doesnt even matter that much in that game. cod promotes lone wolf play and reach promotes team play especially in non slayer gametypes like invasion.

comparing reach to cod is like comparing battlefeild to cod....battlefeild has more strategy and highly promotes teamwork. in battlefeild you can spawn on your team and revive people or repair their vehicles... even snipers are teamplayers because they can mark targets and use motion mines to show when people are coming or even get C4 and help take a point close range. hell snipers can even run around with shotguns if they so choose....halo reach on invasion for example has a simular team feel. it takes teamwork to capture/defend a base and the armor abilities promote teamwork aswell....one guy can get drop sheild and heal everyone while your teamate spawns on you with an energy sword and places a hologram inside the bubblesheild...then even if somone comes with a shotgun they wont know which sword guy to aim at because one is a hologram. That is just one example of teamplay on reach objective games.

haha. and the AA-12 shotgun has little to no recoil. check our FPS Russia's youtube chanel to see it. if we have guns now that have no recoil, what about in 500 years?

because the guns in reach have bigger bullets then the ones today. the DMR is a futuristic armour penetrating big ass gun. a normal civilian with no armor would shatter his shoulder bones with continuous fire so i would imagine that a spartan would have a little recoil....and thats exactly what they do have...a little recoil..not alot....the weapons today have to penetrate walls at best. to enter flesh it doesnt reqire a very big round...but to an elite an AK47 round would tickel his armor. that is why the assault rifles in halo games are close range...because they are fireing big rounds and lose accuracy as a direct result...so sure if you are fireing a peashooter like the ones we have now then you can get away with little to no recoil...but if you are fireing a rifle made to destroy banshees with continuous fire then i would imagine you would get some kick...just sayin...the BR in halo3 had almost no noticeable recoil, but the BR cannot take down a banshee as well as a DMR so i can see why. its an even trade of power for accuracy and vise versa it seems.

you have a point but if you find a cheesy tactic like camping for example it can get you alot more kills then the same cheesiness would in reach. his point is that in cod to kill an enemy you simply have to shoot them in any part of their body. why would you try and dodge bullets? better to find a good spot or just run around knifing people. in halo their are several ways of taking down an enemy. like weakening them with a nade then finishing them with gunfire....i have had my shields dropped way in advance yet i still win that battle because i used the enviroment to my advantage. their are dozens of kill strategies in reach like useing the plasma pistol for example. the shield system promotes strategy and allowes bungie to add weapons that are made for shield dropping. in cod its a bunch of dudes with FA MAS assault rifles running around trying to get killstreaks. thats pretty much as far as the strategy goes in cod and team work doesnt even matter that much in that game. cod promotes lone wolf play and reach promotes team play especially in non slayer gametypes like invasion.

comparing reach to cod is like comparing battlefeild to cod....battlefeild has more strategy and highly promotes teamwork. in battlefeild you can spawn on your team and revive people or repair their vehicles... even snipers are teamplayers because they can mark targets and use motion mines to show when people are coming or even get C4 and help take a point close range. hell snipers can even run around with shotguns if they so choose....halo reach on invasion for example has a simular team feel. it takes teamwork to capture/defend a base and the armor abilities promote teamwork aswell....one guy can get drop sheild and heal everyone while your teamate spawns on you with an energy sword and places a hologram inside the bubblesheild...then even if somone comes with a shotgun they wont know which sword guy to aim at because one is a hologram. That is just one example of teamplay on reach objective games.

I never said anything about camping to begin with. I also never compared Halo (or Reach for that matter) to COD. You can shoot and kill people in any part of the body in Halo as well. My point was, and is, that Call of Duty takes skill (even if you don't like the series). It takes skill to get tons of kills without dying or dying very few times in that game.