should bloom stay  

67 members have voted

1. 1. bloom is awsome right?

• yes bloom works in games generally
    • no but i like it in halo: reach
    • yes but not in halo: reach
    • no i hate bloom in all video games
    • i dont care halo is halo.

SOMEONE PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD! this thread has spawned all the good debate that it ever will. any new posts will just be flame im sure...we have had some good debate and also we have seen that most people have no valid evidence against bloom...when we ask people why they hate bloom they give heated opinions and biased observations but no facts have been presented....the only one throwing around facts is twin reaper and he is getting hated on simply for telling the truth so i say we lock this thread and move on! thanks to all who have voted and given your opinion..i can now see from your shoes why you all hate bloom...i dont agree with you and i think your kinda thick but atleast i can see where you guys are coming from.....cheers!

• Like 3

Wow. This Is the first time I have ever seen a post where someone says 'play CoD if you want to spam' 'keep bloom'. You are correct about spamming in CoD, and yes bloom is fine once you are used to it. But I think that when people say 'bloom sux' and 'no AA's they mean that Reach strayed to far from what Halo truly is. In the classic trilogy there was no bloom or sprint, or armor lock, but it was still fun. It had a distinct feel to it's MP gameplay. Reach has an entirely different feel to it's gameplay. AA's and bloom changed what halo fans were used to. Don't get me wrong, Reach is a great game. It's just different, and most people don't like different. Or they do, they just don't want it too different. So different, that it doesnt even feel close to the classic Halo experience. Now don't freak out because the title update will remove Bloom and fix armor lock, you will still have your bloom. Instead, there will be separate playlists. Some will keep reach how it is, it won't change a thing. Other playlists will be more like Halo should be. There will still be AA's yes, but bloom won't be a factor anymore, the Magnum Is back, and new classic maps will make a comeback. So don't freak out, you will still have Reach as it is. It's just that most Halo fans want to experience the classic halo gameplay again.

• Like 3

Wow. This Is the first time I have ever seen a post where someone says 'play CoD if you want to spam' 'keep bloom'. You are correct about spamming in CoD, and yes bloom is fine once you are used to it. But I think that when people say 'bloom sux' and 'no AA's they mean that Reach strayed to far from what Halo truly is. In the classic trilogy there was no bloom or sprint, or armor lock, but it was still fun. It had a distinct feel to it's MP gameplay. Reach has an entirely different feel to it's gameplay. AA's and bloom changed what halo fans were used to. Don't get me wrong, Reach is a great game. It's just different, and most people don't like different. Or they do, they just don't want it too different. So different, that it doesnt even feel close to the classic Halo experience. Now don't freak out because the title update will remove Bloom and fix armor lock, you will still have your bloom. Instead, there will be separate playlists. Some will keep reach how it is, it won't change a thing. Other playlists will be more like Halo should be. There will still be AA's yes, but bloom won't be a factor anymore, the Magnum Is back, and new classic maps will make a comeback. So don't freak out, you will still have Reach as it is. It's just that most Halo fans want to experience the classic halo gameplay again.

You do realise they aren't removing it completely? It is merely being made adjustable, and will have its own specific playlists, you should really look into it more before going off on one and slating people who want to play the game more like its predeccesors that made the franchise what it is today.

And I refuse to vote because of your one-sided options.

And that's exactly why i didn't vote either lol

• Like 1

You do realise they aren't removing it completely? It is merely being made adjustable, and will have its own specific playlists, you should really look into it more before going off on one and slating people who want to play the game more like its predeccesors that made the franchise what it is today.

Very true. I like people who understand things.

you have some good points. however i still think its stupid. i have been playing halo deathmatch since halo1 and even with armour lock it still feels like halo. in fact i think it feels more like halo. its how it always should have been. bloom and AA are a step forward. i think the REEL reason people hate bloom and AA is because they are changes, and people now days are resistant to change no matter how good it is. i say you guys grow up and see a good thing for what it is. this says more about society then it does halo fans. its like when your mom wants to re arrange your room. you get home from school and everything is switched around and you cant find anything so you call your mom a *****...but then after an hour you get used to it and realise that the change is better....i guess i was fortunate enough to ease into the changes of reach. i saw halo3 as flawed and when i played reach in the beta i fell in love. but i guess at the end of the day its all opinion....

• Like 1

lulwut?

and so u saying, Pros (MLG) who know how to time shots but still dont like bloom are noobs?

lol, pretty biased argument, u've obviously been getting lucky with the bloom.

GETTING LUCKY????? I NEVER FAIL HAHAHA

i find that mlg guys arent as good at the game as they say they are. they cant even handle motion trackers or bloom. i say that makes them ****ty at halo

• Like 2

fair enough, you are one of the people who have figured bloom out.

actully, they don't use Radar, because in MLG's opinion, it makes the game way too easy, and they are quite good with bloom actully, its just some things which they don't understand.

How are they **** at halo? they would own you no problem. Motion Tracker or not.

Btw, CSS > Halo Competitive / Hardcore Wise.

counter strike is hardcore because everyone starts out equal and the game is all map controll. but i find halo to be more hardcore in a different way. for example halo can get so chaotic at times that it takes a true gamer to keep his composure and make split second decisions. i cant wait for counter strike global offensive

• Like 1

COD still have recoil or spread, it just doesn't show with bloom animation. Play COD first and than talk.

i don't have problem with reach bloom.

i know cod has spread thats not the point. the point is that you can spam the trigger on cod...you people have a nasty habbit of missing the fracken point. and btw i have played cod...unpolished and unbalanced. i like how reach handles bloom. cod copied their spread from counter strike didnt they? which is weird because on counterstrike if you hold the trigger you wont hit crap. cod has fake bloom. the guns still shoots straight even when u are holding down the trigger for years. at least the reach bloom gives you a good idea of how much of a chance you have to hit your target. in cod (hardcore mode) you can shoot somone in the toe with a pistol and they will die. thats not hardcore thats just stupid

• Like 1

Oh man this post makes me wish they had ranks in reach so i could just make new accounts non stop after getting my 50 and **** on you over and over and keep you at your 10 forever 99.9% of people complaining about bloom are the ones who DO know how to pace their shots and DONT spam the trigger and noticed how much LUCK is involved in bloom so next time you make a poll dont make it one sided and try to be a little bit educated about the thing your promoting bloom is not halo and it shouldnt be on precision weapons

Oh man this post makes me wish they had ranks in reach so i could just make new accounts non stop after getting my 50 and **** on you over and over and keep you at your 10 forever 99.9% of people complaining about bloom are the ones who DO know how to pace their shots and DONT spam the trigger and noticed how much LUCK is involved in bloom so next time you make a poll dont make it one sided and try to be a little bit educated about the thing your promoting bloom is not halo and it shouldnt be on precision weapons

luck is only involved when you spam the trigger. i dont spam the trigger so i dont get the luck thing. all my shots make contact. yea if your spamming and your targeter gets huge then it is luck related. you may or may not hit because you are fireing nonstop and you need to cool it. i havent even heard a good argument against bloom. i made a good argument in blooms favor in my origional post but no one counters it. all they do is hate on me and whine. this indicates to me that they have no argument. my reasons for bloom to stay where that it would OP the dmr. but no one adresses this because they want an OP dmr. fine go ahead make it OP so that everyone will complain and you can feel like your good at halo just because you use no other weapon.

yea keep low players at rank ten all their lives if you wish. you still have no other arguments against bloom other then "it doesnt belong in halo" thats like the most crybaby argument i have heard.

and honestly making a new account and raping noobs is just being a troll. if you troll people somone bigger and badder is ganna troll you right back so be carfull you may bite off more then your little tummy can handle.

you have some good points. however i still think its stupid. i have been playing halo deathmatch since halo1 and even with armour lock it still feels like halo. in fact i think it feels more like halo. its how it always should have been. bloom and AA are a step forward. i think the REEL reason people hate bloom and AA is because they are changes, and people now days are resistant to change no matter how good it is. i say you guys grow up and see a good thing for what it is. this says more about society then it does halo fans. its like when your mom wants to re arrange your room. you get home from school and everything is switched around and you cant find anything so you call your mom a *****...but then after an hour you get used to it and realise that the change is better....i guess i was fortunate enough to ease into the changes of reach. i saw halo3 as flawed and when i played reach in the beta i fell in love. but i guess at the end of the day its all opinion....

You also have some good points. But how can reach feel more like halo then the original trilogy. Reach is great and i love it, it just seems easier to become good. There is more luck involved and less skill. Sure there are new skills that have come with bloom and AA's, but it's still a game of luck. Either you have to be phycic or really lucky to guess weather or not the opponent walking around the next corner has armor lock or not. In Halo 1,2,3 all players were even in terms of advantages (not induing the players individual skill level). In reach, certain AA's give the player certain advantages in combat. So in reach, there is some luck involved. I liked the old Halos when the only luck involved was which gun the opponent picked up. Or that random plasma grenade that killed that one guy. I still love Reach and favor it to CoD, but it's just not the same as the Older halos. It's not that I am against change. Like your example with your mom rearranging your room: she might've arranged stuff, and added a thing or to, she didn't get you a new bed or dresser. She just rearranged your room. This seems like a good idea for future Halos: keeping the basics (ex: your bed) but also changing them while still keeping the same important stuff (ex: new sheets for your bed). This adds flavor and spice to the game without changing the feel too much.

Well, lucky for eveyone here that I can counter everything you said with game engine fact and weapon mechanics. Would you really like me to start pointing out what exactly you said was wrong and why? And btw, MLG is for basement dwellers who live with their parents into adulthood and have no real asperations in life. The most work they do is play with a game controller. They talk about gaming practice like it's saving the world. Please...it's using your damn thumbs. Everyone can do it.

But anyway, do not bring luck into the equation. Luck is non-existant in games. You are playing in a controlled environment where "x" amount of variables are pre-programmed. Luck is completely and uterly random with no restarints on the possible outcome. A game has set rules, boundries, physics etc... So the argument about luck just does not hold water. Luck is how we explain away how we possibly got bested by someone who possess in our eyes, less skill. Just admit YOU made a mistake or dropped the ball and that action had a negative consequence.

As for comparing halo to CoD, you can't. The game engines use different interpritations of physics and ballistics. The firing spread in CoD is the same concept as Halo. The only difference is, in halo you have shields to absorb more impact from the opposition. Other than that, the weapons function fundamentally the same.

Blooming reticules DO NOT CONTROL how your shots spread after firing rapidly. More to the point, that specific value data is stored in the [proj] tag, which is directly linked and referrenced to the [weap] tag. Disabling bloom will not improve or decrease the accuracy one gets by knowing where to expect his or her shots to land. Bloom was a simple straight forward way for Bungie and now 343 to illistrate the firing spread of a weapon. In fact, when the title update hits, I can be 100% certain, that the scripts they execute though Megalo, will only adjust how much the reticule moves, which by the way is a HUD widget. It will also adjust the projectiles base values. Please understand what it is you are talking about before you bash and trash on others who obviously have a much more in depth knowledge of these gaming mechanics.

And about the CE multiplayer thing, they are not introducing new weapons. They are simply adjusting the core values of the already existing weapons, to reflect the core settings of the prior games. Adding new weapons may even be out of the scope of MegaloScript, as talked about at PAX. They stated that they were not introducing new weapons or anything because they cannot do it. That tells me that those specific elements are hard coded into the "xex" and resource files of the game and cannot be added to even with megalo.

Oh yeah i just noticed that "kill someone in CoD by hitting them in the toe" thing. Are you on crack? Anyone can get a killshot at any body part in halo as well. Next time someone is low on health and has no shields, hit them in the toe and tell me they don't die. And why are you so dead set on comparing Halo to CoD anyway? It's like comparing the colors blue to red. They are both colors, but beyond that they share nothing in common. You need to get a grip my friend.

• Like 1

Well, lucky for eveyone here that I can counter everything you said with game engine fact and weapon mechanics. Would you really like me to start pointing out what exactly you said was wrong and why? And btw, MLG is for basement dwellers who live with their parents into adulthood and have no real asperations in life. The most work they do is play with a game controller. They talk about gaming practice like it's saving the world. Please...it's using your damn thumbs. Everyone can do it.

But anyway, do not bring luck into the equation. Luck is non-existant in games. You are playing in a controlled environment where "x" amount of variables are pre-programmed. Luck is completely and uterly random with no restarints on the possible outcome. A game has set rules, boundries, physics etc... So the argument about luck just does not hold water. Luck is how we explain away how we possibly got bested by someone who possess in our eyes, less skill. Just admit YOU made a mistake or dropped the ball and that action had a negative consequence.

As for comparing halo to CoD, you can't. The game engines use different interpritations of physics and ballistics. The firing spread in CoD is the same concept as Halo. The only difference is, in halo you have shields to absorb more impact from the opposition. Other than that, the weapons function fundamentally the same.

Blooming reticules DO NOT CONTROL how your shots spread after firing rapidly. More to the point, that specific value data is stored in the [proj] tag, which is directly linked and referrenced to the [weap] tag. Disabling bloom will not improve or decrease the accuracy one gets by knowing where to expect his or her shots to land. Bloom was a simple straight forward way for Bungie and now 343 to illistrate the firing spread of a weapon. In fact, when the title update hits, I can be 100% certain, that the scripts they execute though Megalo, will only adjust how much the reticule moves, which by the way is a HUD widget. It will also adjust the projectiles base values. Please understand what it is you are talking about before you bash and trash on others who obviously have a much more in depth knowledge of these gaming mechanics.

And about the CE multiplayer thing, they are not introducing new weapons. They are simply adjusting the core values of the already existing weapons, to reflect the core settings of the prior games. Adding new weapons may even be out of the scope of MegaloScript, as talked about at PAX. They stated that they were not introducing new weapons or anything because they cannot do it. That tells me that those specific elements are hard coded into the "xex" and resource files of the game and cannot be added to even with megalo.

Oh yeah i just noticed that "kill someone in CoD by hitting them in the toe" thing. Are you on crack? Anyone can get a killshot at any body part in halo as well. Next time someone is low on health and has no shields, hit them in the toe and tell me they don't die. And why are you so dead set on comparing Halo to CoD anyway? It's like comparing the colors blue to red. They are both colors, but beyond that they share nothing in common. You need to get a grip my friend.

agreed

You also have some good points. But how can reach feel more like halo then the original trilogy. Reach is great and i love it, it just seems easier to become good. There is more luck involved and less skill. Sure there are new skills that have come with bloom and AA's, but it's still a game of luck. Either you have to be phycic or really lucky to guess weather or not the opponent walking around the next corner has armor lock or not. In Halo 1,2,3 all players were even in terms of advantages (not induing the players individual skill level). In reach, certain AA's give the player certain advantages in combat. So in reach, there is some luck involved. I liked the old Halos when the only luck involved was which gun the opponent picked up. Or that random plasma grenade that killed that one guy. I still love Reach and favor it to CoD, but it's just not the same as the Older halos. It's not that I am against change. Like your example with your mom rearranging your room: she might've arranged stuff, and added a thing or to, she didn't get you a new bed or dresser. She just rearranged your room. This seems like a good idea for future Halos: keeping the basics (ex: your bed) but also changing them while still keeping the same important stuff (ex: new sheets for your bed). This adds flavor and spice to the game without changing the feel too much.

I have to disagree on your point about luck. you can easily tell what armor ability somone has by simply watching them. people with sprint almost always sprint even in the heat of combat. but if their doing nothing just walking around then chances are they have armor lock. I study my enemies instead of blindly attacking any true gamer does. i can tell when somone isnt paying attention and i wait for those moments. I have had seasoned players looking right at me when i move to assassinate them and they dont see me because i can almost smell that they are looking at their motion tracker or zoomed in and not watching their own back. armor abilities add new skillsets other then aiming and map controll. they add timing and execution to a game that would have very little. and yea sure people get a lucky moment here and there but that is true with anygame.

if your bed is old falling apart and full of bedbugs then mom has to do more then change the sheets. halo 3 was laggy and had FAR less replay value then reach. dont get me wrong i had fun in halo2 and 3 but never as much as reach. it feels more like halo because even in halo2 the elites had jetpacks but we couldnt use them. the heretic boss used highly advanced holograms and tartarus had armor lock but he could move while it was activated. reach made all those things playable yet not overpowerd, and everyone wants to take a step back because waaaah its not enough like the old halo games waaaaahhh!!! even if reach was exactly like halo 2 they would cry. i think alot of the people who hate bloom and armor abilities just dont like halo anymore at all. they blame the abilities and additions and say well how come i liked halo2 and 3 but not reach? its nostalgia that makes them have fond memories of halo2/3 but if they went back and played them they would have the same amount of problems as they do with reach. the problem with halo is that their are too many fans. you cant please them all.

I think that purest's simply connot be pleased. they complain about armor abilities so bungie makes a classic playlist. yet i never see anymore then 200 players in that playlist on a good day.

they dont want halo back the way it was. they just want to enjoy halo again how they used to back when they wer younger, but you cant regain your youth. you just have to make the best of your veterancy. even when 343 releases the title update and takes away dmr bloom for the classic playlist the pureists will still find some reason to complain. even if it ran and the spartans moved exactly like they did in halo1 the purests would still cry. because they are remembering halo1 and 2 to be better games then they actually where. i have went back and replayed all the halo games single player and MP with my local halo friends and they just arent as good as we remember because their was nothing better at the time.

when i first played the halo reach beta i will admit i was a little put off by some of the changes. armor lock was OP and the DMR had worse bloom to the point that luck wasnt even a factor, you simply would not hit your target if your bloom was big, but i gave it a chance instead of raging to bungie and i ended up loving the beta. at the end of they day we have to ask ourselvs is the game FUN? and i would have to say its fun as hell. yea meyb its a big step from the origional trilogy but its fun and thats all that counts. MLGers will say that they dont like the changes but MLGers dont play for fun they play to feel good about themselves and master the meta game and thats simply not fun. its OCD. true skill is determined by your ability to adapt to any situation not memorize weapon spawn timers and choke points. the game needs to be crafted to be fun before anything else because its a GAME. games HAVE to be fun because they are games. MLG players treat the game like a sport. and while thats all well and good sports tend to be more stressfull then fun IMO. yea i expect a certain level of skill and dedication from my teammates but if the game isnt fun as a result of that then whats the point? the game would still be fun without AA but not as fun. i dont pay 60$ for an E sport. i pay for good heart pounding adreniline filled fun, and i think armor lock and bloom supply alot of that fun. but i guess we all have different opinions as to what is and isnt fun. thats why i somewhat regret starting this thread even if it did spawn some good discussion.

its a very opinion filled thread and the only way to solve this debate is to make playlists that cator to both the purists and those that are willing to adapt and evolve(thats what 343 is doing). it was called combat evolved not combat repeated. If you dont add things to halo games then halo becomes shovelware. Nobody wants that. bungie had to add things and im glad they added things that we had saw before in previous titles like jetpacks and holograms

most people think armor locks are frustrating because they go to kill someone with the sword and he counters with armour lock....funny that never happens to me when i have the sword. people will say im just lucky but how fracking lucky can one guy be? i seldomly miss a shot due to the bloom and if i do its because im trying to survive and hammering away on the trigger like an idiot instead of keeping my cool. i almost never am fooled by armor lockers yet when i use armor lock i win almost every time. am i good at the game? a little i have beem playing halo games for ten years now but im not THAT good! Am i just super lucky all the time? no because i lose just as much as the next guy. but when i lose its because my team is not backing me up. not because someone armor locked near me. EMP's kill sheilds we just need to deal with it. if it wer real life an EMP would fry your armor permanently and you would just be stuck their not able to move in your 6 ton coffin.

we should just be glad halo isnt realistic because if it was armor lock would devastate everything even the person armor locking, and bloom would be even worse then it is and elites would always win in invasion due to the fact that they are more advanced then humans. IMO armor lock is suicidal but effective if thats your playstyle. and thats what armor abilities do they add playstyles. if everyone was equal like in halo3 then their would only be one playstyle and the game would get stale much faster. might as well just play halo3 if thats what you want.

• Like 3

First off you tried to pwn me by restating most of what i said and agreeing with me. epic fail. also i am not trying to compare halo and cod just compare the shooting mechanics. In cod you spam the trigger and kill everything in your sights (unrealilistic) in halo you must be more precise with your aiming and timing. Furthermore on hardcore mode in COD MW you can kill someone by shooting them in the toe with ONE bullet even if they have FULL health. in reach you can take 3 DMR rounds to the CHEST with FULL heatlh so get your facts straight.

yea thanks for agreeing with me and reinforcing my arguments. meyb you missed understood what i said because of my grammar which is my fault. sorry. but most of the facts that you just posted i already knew and reinforced my points. idk you either miss understood my post or i miss read your post. but if i understand you clearly then yes i agree with you. however your point about the weapon mechanics staying the same even if they remove the bloom peaks my interest. If the guns are going to shoot mostly the same then why remove the bloom? you would think that removing the bloom would frustrate people even more and cause confusion. Am i uderstanding you correctly? could it be that people are crying for nothing? i suspect that is the case. at anyrate i hope this thread dies soon because i think we have spawned all the intelligent debate that it possible. The only thing left for this thread is trolling and flaming. Unless someone has some good points but you are the only one who has come here with facts and those facts confirm alot of my arguments/concerns so i just dont get it. thanks for your post and cheers.

and as far as you posting a one sided poll, you are the real noob. i hope you burn in a self-absorbed-halo-related living hell. (more so a 10 minute ban on matchmaking.)

well it was mostly a joke but i fixed the poll for crybabys like you WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well it was mostly a joke but i fixed the poll for crybabys like you WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know jokes are only really funny when you dont tell them for a while, but this is your second 1 sided pole in just a few days and all you did was change the old one, you should really give people an actual choice instead of feeling the need to insult people and show just how closed minded you can be