Halo 2 PC going offline on Feb 15th

Adam91

normal_Halo2_PC_01.jpg

343 Industries has announced in this weeks

bulletin that they will be shutting down the servers for Halo 2 vista, they said the reason for this is because the population has only been 20 at it's peak.

"To switch gears ever so slightly, we’re sad to report that the service end-date for Halo 2 PC Multiplayer will be February 15, 2013. We’ve been monitoring the population for months, and it’s been peaking consistently at approximately 20 players or less. Those that own this game can continue to enjoy Multiplayer over LAN after that date; however our network services will be turned off at that time. We love you, Halo 2 PC, and you will live forever in our hearts"

So for those few who still play it try and get in as much games as you can before the lights are switched off and the doors are locked for good.

Goodbye Halo 2 vista we love you.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 1

wow i thought halo 2 vista had more players but i guess we must no dwell on a game thet came out so long ago but we must focus on the fhuture youre past should not define who u are i must only set youre way goobye halo 2

EDIT

twin reper its not bull at all 20 peaple is hardly worth keeping serves up for that game came out a long tome ago they need to stop dwelling on the past

Complete bull****. Their middleman servers only connect you ingame to other Live players. All other services are hosted by dedicated server runners. Just to shed some light on how in the dark 343 is, Microsoft officially ended all support for Halo 2 PC nearly 2 years ago.

If they are shutting us out, they better be planning on bringing us a new pc port of a Halo title to replace it. Pc is what drove Halo 1 to imense popularity, not the lame bring your console LAN parties. This is a huge slap in the face to anyone who purchased a gameserver thru a 3rd party to host dedicated servers for this game, but also a slap in the face to the countless people who still produce content, and have ongoing content being created for it. I guess I should just scrap all my **** and clear out my hdd now? FOr what??? A ****ty new console with even ****tier support from a 3rd rate hack company and developer? Not thanks.

• Like 3

Complete bull****. Their middleman servers only connect you ingame to other Live players. All other services are hosted by dedicated server runners. Just to shed some light on how in the dark 343 is, Microsoft officially ended all support for Halo 2 PC nearly 2 years ago.

If they are shutting us out, they better be planning on bringing us a new pc port of a Halo title to replace it. Pc is what drove Halo 1 to imense popularity, not the lame bring your console LAN parties. This is a huge slap in the face to anyone who purchased a gameserver thru a 3rd party to host dedicated servers for this game, but also a slap in the face to the countless people who still produce content, and have ongoing content being created for it. I guess I should just scrap all my **** and clear out my hdd now? FOr what??? A ****ty new console with even ****tier support from a 3rd rate hack company and developer? Not thanks.

:hide:

I'm sure there will be people still running servers. Halo 2 is an old game. you can't get frustrated about the servers going down.

• Like 2

This is a tragic loss for the Halo franchise as a whole. It'll be interesting to see what kind of backlash 343i gets for this. People weren't exactly happy with the product they produced in Halo 4 and this certainly doesn't help.

I also have a very VERY hard time in believing that the servers had 20 people max... That seems unrealistically low to me.

• Like 1

twin reper its not bull at all 20 peaple is hardly worth keeping serves up for that game came out a long tome ago they need to stop dwelling on the past

I can tell you first hand that the actual player count is NOT a mear 20 people. It is bull because actual people pay good hard earned money to rent gameservers to host for us players.

As for the person whom stated that LAN is still a good option, you havent played a PC game lately have you? In order to activate a copy of Halo 2 and run a dedicated server, requires you to log into Live and Live also checks the product key. Without Live up for it, we have no way to gain additional members in the community, nor a way to host solid servers with rotating gametypes. LAN is only going to be usefull if you want to play other people just while you are up and hosting the match. When you leave, now the players have to search for another game.

Oh yeah, that's right...now without Live, you can't coordinate properly with friends to host or join matches. Now we have to rely on 3rd party tunneling apps to play LAN matches...which is no fun and more of a pain than it's worth. Not to mention the disaster this is going to cause us map makers whom will not have a server to host custom maps or content.

• Like 3

Is just everyone using my font now? Is leaving for several months and everything being the same when i come back too much to ask :P.

OT: I'm calling BS on their population numbers, there is no way only 20 people are playing any AAA game at one time, no matter how old it is.

Halo 2 Vista isn't even twice of what the Xbox version is anyway...

Your right...It's a million times better in every aspect. Lets see what the PC version offers that Xbox doesn't......

1. Dedicated servers.....no host migrate crap.

2. Allows hosts to properly control banning, kicking and other offenses. In other words...we do what Live never could.

3. Custom Weapons

4. Custom vehicles

5. Custom maps.

6. Rotating playlists

7. More choices and available gametypes to play whenever you want.

8. Higher resolution graphics post processing.

9. No disks to worry about breaking

10. No locked to a console, you play wherever a PC is available.

11. Modding. We canc hange the expereince of the game better than Halo 2 xbox modding ever could or will.

Theres a quick 11 items that make it better off the top of my head....

I never played the Computer Halo 2 and it looks like I never will, but seeing as how many people reacted 20 peak doesn't even seem logical. And I hate to see it shut down because thats just one more thing people will hate 343 for. I hope they rethink their decision on shutting Halo 2's servers down.

• Like 1

Ha, I have some very bad grammar at times....lmao. I meant to say that you are not locked to a single console. If you own a computer, or have access to a computer anywhere, you can play it. You don't need a single branded console to play it. One thing that has always bugged me, and will continue to bug me, is Microsoft's lack of cross platform gaming and releases. Even some games that are 3rd party to the 360, are forced to not release a game on the PC or PS3, simply because Microsoft says they can't if they want to have a 360 version.

And that's where the real irony comes in. Microsoft makes a PC (IBM) based Operating System. Said company also wants people to invest in it and keep buying newer ones. But why would any gamer want to continue to buy a Microsoft OS, when said company gives them no reasons to stick around? We should all just switch to Linux and use Whine to emulate the PC gaming environment. Maybe then, when their OS sales overall dip 45%, they will rethink their position....