What's your weapon of choice in SWAT?

RedStarRocket91

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which gun do you most prefer to use in SWAT gametypes?

• The DMR, and I usually prefer this in other gametypes
    • The DMR, though I usually do not prefer this in other gametypes
    • The Battle Rifle, and I usually prefer this in other gametypes
    • The Battle Rifle, though I usually do not prefer this in other gametypes
    • The Magnum, because I have no idea what I'm doing

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a topic on this, considering how popular the SWAT playlist is.

At present, there are two loadouts for selection in SWAT gametypes: one with a DMR as the primary weapon, one with a Battle Rifle, and both including a Magnum as a secondary.

Because of the lack of shields in SWAT, each weapon plays very differently to its counterpart in regular matches, each with new advantages.

• The DMR becomes incredibly lethal at longer ranges, able to kill opponents from well out of their own range due to its powerful scope and high accuracy.
  • The Battle Rifle becomes dangerous to multiple opponents and at closer ranges due to its burst-fire mode and stronger aim assist and bullet magnetism.
  • The Magnum's high rate of fire makes up for its low accuracy, as subsequent shots can be fired more quickly to make up for misses.

Though I vastly prefer the DMR for regular shielded gameplay, I've grown very fond of using the Battle Rifle in SWAT. The extra aim assist is really noticeable and means I don't have to worry so much about my aim being perfect as I would with the DMR, and the burst-fire means I've occasionally scored two kills within a burst, thus saving my life as I would otherwise have been killed by the second target between trigger pulls.

So what's your favourite gun in SWAT? Is it the same as your favourite precision weapon in other gametypes, or your least favourite? Would you like to see the Lightrifle make an appearance?

• Like 1

I actually usually use the magnum because I don't play SWAT unless there is a challenge for getting kills with secondary weapons. I got so accustomed to it and good with it during one of the big secondary weapon challenges (like 200 kills w/secondary weapons) that I actually feel less comfortable with the BR or DMR now.

If I were serious about SWAT though I'd probably pick the DMR in Solace and Complex and the BR in every other map (Although the way I play Adrift the DMR could oust the BR).

• Like 1

Weirdly lately on any smaller map in swat I just use magnum, once you get used to it it is insane, I am playing better now than ever before at swat thanks to the magnum, its just so easy to use and its fire rate means you can get away with not getting the first shot in.

The choise in the Poll is not very accurate as the magnum is a Swat machine when ya get the hang of it.

The choise in the Poll is not very accurate as the magnum is a Swat machine when ya get the hang of it.

I actually did have it down as a 'serious' option too begin with, but just thought it would be funnier if it was gently mocking. There's also the fact that I have STILL yet to be killed by the pistol when playing SWAT, so maybe I'll update it when that changes :P

I use the Dmr because in my opinion it has a better precision and it is more powerful.

I agree on Tue part about precision. But power does not really play a big factor in SWAT since it is one shot to the head and death.

I think this thread is more asking do you like the precision of the DMR or the 3shot of the BR. And if you are smart the rapid fire of the magnum. I think that they are all pretty even overall though. It is all preference.

You have a knack for posting incredibly interesting or thought provoking threads RedRocket :)

In answering this question I'd have to say that this is very situation dependent. I almost always go with the BR as that fills the need the vast majority of the time. I recently watched a Halo 4 Mythbuster's video where they demonstrated that it is possible to get three headshots with a single burst of the BR. I think that that explains its general usefulness right there. At ranges where it's questionable accuracy is not a serious problem the BR gives the player three different opportunities to make it's mark and result in the death of your foe.

Though one must consider the vast expanses present on Complex and Abandon. I find that those maps (as well as Solace sometimes) suggest that I use the DMR. The longer ranges render the BR's lower accuracy to be more of a handicap and I find that it is better to use the DMR. The BR and Magnum are just too likely to miss at that range and the surefire accuracy of the DMR is more reliable choice for those type of maps.

I previously hadn't considered the Magnum to be a very viable choice for competitive SWAT gameplay... but after GSD finished wrecking me in a match of 1v1 using only the Magnum I had to give it a closer look. Upon further study I made an amazing discovery... The Magnum doesn't actually give any discernible advantage in any facet of gameplay (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I just got annihalated by GSD because he was insanely better than me at Halo in general. What an incredible discovery.

Yeah my vote went to the BR... but that doesn't mean that the DMR is out of the equation for me.

• Like 2

You have a knack for posting incredibly interesting or thought provoking threads RedRocket :)

Thanks, Bagels! Though it's always nice to get interesting and thought-provoking responses :)

Plus... there's so much going on in Halo that deserves to be talked about, and surely we can't all just sit around and complain about the Boltshot being overpowered forever, right? :P

I can't believe they are giving away 6,000+ exp (unless I read the challenge wrong) for 15 secondary weapon kills in one game. I play SWAT today and I find everyone using magnums. It is definitely easy pickings today, so BR/DMR users rejoice. Also, I think the other challenge is 12 headshots in on game and the waypoint challenge is 250 precision loadout weapon kills.

343 is basically saying, "Hey everybody! Go play some SWAT!"

I started using the DMR and Magnum, but now I think I'm going to use the BR more. The reason for that is that I want to rank up my commendation for the BR, and that's the eaisiest way to do it. The Magnum works really well in close quarters, but I'll switch to my rifle if I know I'm about to walk into a long distance area.