Map Deleted/Corrupted - Read this before it's too late...

URBAN B0BCAT

This may not pertain to everyone, but I thought it important to share in case someone else runs into the same nightmare.

I wrapped up spawn zones on a H4 map last night and felt that it was time to update my File Share. With only two maps in my file share, I deleted both in order to upload their new versions. Once I entered into my map browser in custom games, I found that a map that was created on Outpost had been replaced by the map I had made on Ravine. This was really strange considering that the map still had the correct name, but when selected it displayed the picture from Ravine along with the wrong map's info.

MY HARD WORK WAS GONE!!!!

Fortunately, I went back into my File Browser and still had recent activity on the correct map in my Local History. From there, I uploaded the map to my File Share. I then did a Map Variant search by gamertag, putting in my own name, and was able to download the map from myself, to myself.

All is well now, but I wanted to put the info out there in case someone runs into the same issue. I hope that it's not too late for you and that your map is still available in your short term Local History. Otherwise, it may just be gone forever.

- Happy Forging

=^..^=

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what do u suggest to prevent this?

I tried to list a possible solution above in my comment. As far as avoiding the issue altogether is concerned though, I'm not exactly sure what caused it. It could have been related to how quickly I deleted the two files that I had in my share, followed by immediately uploading the new versions. That was the only factor in the scenario that seems like it could have caused the issue since perhaps the xbox confused the file's save information in the exchange. So maybe just taking it slow when adjusting File Share files will help.

Are you sure you didn't rename it with the same name and overwritten it>

No, because I was only transferring files, not changing names and adjusting any text entry. Factually, it has to be bug related because the map picture associated to the file was wrong. I went into my "Impact" sub-category of maps and found a picture from "Ravine" in that list with the correct file name but wrong loaded map attached.

I know what the problem might be. It's the same problem that happened in Reach with map files being corrupted and overwritten by other files. When you exit out of forge and return to the lobby, the game saves a temporary file of the map you were just in and keeps it selected. Once you select a different map, the temorary file is gone. The problem happens when you don't save the map you were just in, start a new map up in forge, and save that one. The second file will now overwrite the previous one that wasn't saved. It will still display the same name and info when in the file browser, but will change once tha map is selected. To avoid this, ALWAYS SAVE YOUR MAP. I've gotten into the habbit of saving the map as soon as I start up forge and sometimes even saving multiple copies of my maps. Even if no editing was done, always save your map before exiting forge. This will save you some grief and pain in the long run. Hope this helps!

• Like 1