Do YOU think Dual-Wielding should return?

CsDarKnight

Do you think Dual-Wielding should return?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Dual-Wielding should return?

• No!
    • Yes!
    • Maybe...

Do you think Dual-wielding should return? The Weapons would be...(guessing they will be in the next game).

-Plasma Pistols

-Plasma Rifle

-Brute Spiker

-Magnum

-SMG

-Any pistols or SMG-type weaponry

Thoughts on this topic below, please. :?: :D :?:

• 1 year later...

I actually loved dual wielding back in halo 2. it limited your options to just shooting. if you melee'd, you lost the second weapon. if you wanted to throw a grenade, you had to chuck the second weapon first. it felt like another aspect of the game to master

Matter of fact 343i originally was making halo 4 to have duel wielding. They did not do it though because it is almost impossible to balance the weapons. But if they do figure it out we know that it would be on their minds. I would live to see the SMG and Mauler to return. Even though the mauler was somewhat replaced by the boltshot.

• Like 1

No modern professional military trains people to dual wield guns. Your brain can handle dual-wielding melee weapons, but you don't have enough eyes to aim two guns at once. Why would a much more advanced professional military waste the time?

Or to put it another way: I hated dual-wielding in Halo 2 and 3, I don't want to see it return. Dual-wielding guns makes less sense the more you think about it, so think about it a bit. It's an awful idea.

No modern professional military trains people to dual wield guns. Your brain can handle dual-wielding melee weapons, but you don't have enough eyes to aim two guns at once. Why would a much more advanced professional military waste the time?

Or to put it another way: I hated dual-wielding in Halo 2 and 3, I don't want to see it return. Dual-wielding guns makes less sense the more you think about it, so think about it a bit. It's an awful idea.

Yes the military for not teach this. But these are spartans. And along with that AI's assist in aiming when you duel wield.

It was important in halo 2, but halo 3 nobody ever really used it. The way the combat system has evolved its almost useless in MM. Also ever think that maybe adding dual wielding features is a bit complicated on the Xbox controller with the limited buttons available? With abilities/sprinting in the game now it would just be messy to even use...

I don't think it being hard to develop is a good enough excuse for it not to be. if the gaming industry didn't do stuff just because it was so hard than we wouldn't even be here talking about halo 4.

however, with the game as is it can't just be implemented. it would have to be designed into the game from the get go

Yes the military for not teach this. But these are spartans. And along with that AI's assist in aiming when you duel wield.

You have to think about it more, like I said.

What does it mean when you use two guns? Twice the power? That's not balanced. The same amount of power? That means the guns are terrible and should only be dual-wielded. 1.5 times the power? Now you have the game developers changing the code just to make a bad idea work.

I would rather my game developers spent some more time getting better at other things instead of making dual-wielding happen.

What does it mean when you use two guns? Twice the power? That's not balanced. The same amount of power? That means the guns are terrible and should only be dual-wielded. 1.5 times the power? Now you have the game developers changing the code just to make a bad idea work.

I would rather my game developers spent some more time getting better at other things instead of making dual-wielding happen.

I am not saying I disagree. I am just stating that it is possible for it to happen in the halo universe. Yes the balancing is completely unfair and it should not happen. I was merely explaining why spartans would be able to duel wield weapons when normal soldiers could not.

I disagree.

The idea of duel wielding IS to double your fire power and rate of fire. They should be designed to be weaker if you are only using 1. Why? Because a rifle is always better then a pistol. They have more fire power and much better accuracy. So why should anyone use a pistol over a rifle? They shouldn’t (even in halo 4 where the pistol is extremely high powered, a rifle is still stronger). Short range the rifle does more damage, long range the rifle is more accurate AND does more damage. The idea of duel wielding is to allow a player to gain a short range advantage. Long range a rifle is more accurate so it will win, but short range if you have two (pistols for example) you have more fire power so you can win. Dual wielding adds a great dynamic to the game. This doesn’t even take into account the possibilities you get when dual wielding different weapon types (human pistol + plasma pistol). Long story short - The idea of dual wielding weapons is to create many dynamic short range strategy combinations.

All this being said, I agree that it will be hard to balance. They need to have several different weapons designed specifically for dual wielding. Don’t just make it so you can dual wield the pistol (for example); instead keep the current high powered pistol with its zoom that you can only hold 1, and add another lower powered pistol without a zoom that you can hold 2. This should be done across the board. Don’t just make a weapon dual wieldable, create a new weapon that is designed to be used in pairs.

Here's my problem with dual-wielding pistols:

I would rather dual-wield assault rifles.

I don't understand why you would downgrade your single gun into two crappy guns when you're already a super soldier who can apparently dual-wield anyway. Every time I try to step into the perspective of a dual-wielding fan I find myself going "Well why wouldn't I just __________?"

Two pistols = CQB advantage? I'd rather have a shotgun. Two pistols = better than a shotgun in CQB? In addition to thinking that's BS, I'd rather have two shotguns.

"Well of course two pistols wouldn't be better than a shotgun in CQB!"

Well then why would I bother with the two pistols?

"Because you don't have a shotgun!"

So why am I in CQB?

It's an annoying game children play, but when you're talking about expending the finite time available to design a game you should occasionally play it, because you have to spend a lot of time making little things happen in video games.

I never run out of "Why?" questions with dual-wielding, because the game is based on shooting people with guns, and shooting people with guns is something people do IRL too. Even as a fantasy game, that gives it some real life basis, and there isn't any real life basis for successfully dual-wielding guns. It would certainly beat a single pistol in CQB, but in CQB you want something bigger than pistols.

• 3 years later...