(Spoilers) Assuming the character concept stays the same, who will be Chief's AI in 5?

thatgrunthunt

What do you think? Should she return, perhaps reset, or another AI emulating her? Or a new AI entirely, no AI partner a all, etc.

Personally, I feel he should go it alone, but with heavy emphasis on his emotional response to the sense of being alone. You know, sort of how Isaac in Dead Space 2 was constantly being haunted by the passing of his earlier love interest, though not as literal, and not as frightening. What I speak of is also similar to the build up toward finding Cortana in Halo 3, where she would be flashed at you then and again, speaking to you, as if apart of her was still in you. And after all of this build up, she returns at either the end of five or at the end of six, with a follow up game to the Saga, like how Reach was a prequel, Halo (for lack of a better term) 7 would be the epilogue, with the story being centered around John and Cortana.

Well that is my idea. What is yours?

I get the feeling that there is going to be a Cortana 2.0 and Master Chief isn't going to accept her. And then hes going to go in alone pull a begining of Halo 3 with the hearing her and such. And maybe find a way to get the memories and personality from the original one onto the new one.

I get the feeling that there is going to be a Cortana 2.0 and Master Chief isn't going to accept her. And then hes going to go in alone pull a begining of Halo 3 with the hearing her and such. And maybe find a way to get the memories and personality from the original one onto the new one.

Yeah, I could see it. I just hope if it is, we get the old smart, one lining Cortana from 2-3 back.

There is a huge discussion about it at halo nation and other Halo fan forums.

So, I hope they will get cortana back. Actually there are a lot of clues to that she is alive. Like - librarian could make her copy, while you list her before meeting the librarian yourself. When the terminal with Cortana was destroyed, you saw a similar glowing "data bulb", like from prometheans and such. And there is a terminal, where Dr. Halsey says that cortana has a lot of opportunities and reasons to live over the 7 years life span.

But what will she be, and when will she return? Maybe she will turn evil, like bungie wanted to make back in Halo 1? Personally, I would not like it if Cortana finally says dead or evil. Hell, americans, guys, you always made Happy Ends, dont become like us Russians, who likes to kill main characters in their stories! First mass effect - killed shepard, now Halo, killed Cortana. What next, kill chief?

For me, the most epic story would be to make Cortana evil, but then turn her back in Halo 6. That way they can make a lot of story about what they want - humanity of Cortana and Chief. That way the story would be like... In Halo 1-4 Cortana always reminded Chief that he is not machine. But in halo 5-6 He would remind Cortana about who she really is.

So. 343 almost did not dissapoint fans with Halo 4. Lets hope, they wont do it in halo 5 and 6 too.

Consider this, promethian knights are humans converted into data, reconstructed and enslaved by the Didact. They are consided taboo I'm guessing since you only encounter them on the planet where the Didact is being held and after he regains control of them.

Couldn't it be possible that since, in essense Cortana is data, and Artificial Intelligence, that when she was composed by the didact, she went through a similar process, gaining a physical form unbeknownst to even her at the time. Or maybe a reverse happened where her data was thrown into an organic shell.

Just been having this discussion with my brother and cousin. I posed the question, if you were in charge, what would you do with H5? Would you work out a way to bring Cortana back, or use the Chief's new-found characterisation, use the concept of him being "broken" and really have him go off the rails. The Chief has lost his best and only friend, and Cortana helping him discover his humanity (as opposed to being solely a soldier), it's going to hit him hard.

My brother gave my favourite response. Have Chief go off the rails in 5, perhaps engaged in a pursuit for an incarcerated Halsey (perhaps imprisoned by Covenant/Forerunner who understand just how important she is - who knows where Spartan Ops will take us...), in an attempt to not only save one of the most brilliant minds of the UNSC, but also to try and bring Cortana back. In 6, maybe we see the culmination of Chief and Halsey's efforts to bring her back.

I like the idea of her having flashes in the Chief's head, reminiscent of Halo 3. Easy to do, just say there are traces of her lingering in the tech he uses.

So yeah, the short story would be to have him go alone in 5, but trying to get her back. The final scene would have Halsey and Chief insert a chip into a console, which then shows a distorted, hazy image of blue and white, gradually focusing into Cortana's avatar lay down, eventually standing up and looking at them both, and then says ".....Chief?" *Curtain falls, cut to black, exit stage* :police:

Replacing Cortana with another AI (without the intention of ever bringing Cortana back) would be sacrilege.

I would have the Librarian A.I compromise his suits systems and force him to go after the Didact that has shown up again but the Didact has Cortana's imprint slaved to his armor and he's going to release the flood on humanity and then compose it but his actual plans is to go after the last Precursors to whom he blames for all the evils that has befallen him, the chief thwarts his plans but joins forces with him when they fall through a portal to a supposed precursor world station and find the Galaxies true owners preparing for their come back with the original human/forerunner beings before they split the genome in half to create two distinct species. Our original design, a stripped down downgraded Precursor variant with flood characteristics.

A bit of mature A.I would be great for a change rather than too much of the vulnerable female. as one commenter stated, bring back the one liner smart alec A.I that her character is famed for. Even have the Librarian A.I act a bit pompous.

The precursors were trying to design a organic transcendence system by first creating other races and then watch as they evolved only to find their models only changed so far and then stopped and died out or destroyed themselves, in the end they settled on a singular system that would when introduced absorb the individuals to become one and attain a transcendent oneness. but then the forerunners rebelled and so most of the Precursors gave themselves over to their creation, the flood rather than be annihilated by their own children.

The flood was designed to claim all life in a galaxy and then pull back to let life start again, it was to be the 5th element, the evolution changer until a form of supreme organics could be attained.

Anyone got a better outline with their own spice to add to it?

Considering that:

1. Most of the time in the first trilogy they were separated for various reasons.

2. Most other Spartans do not (and have not had in the past) AI counter-parts.

3. The cost of a Smart AI outweighs that of a fleet of normal ships.

4. The possible security risks of having a spartan in the field with an AI in their suit (i.e. captured AI).

5. The reason that John was paired with Cortana (going by in-game canon) was to prevent her capture by the covenant boarding parties aboard the Pillar of Autumn, and to disarm the bomb in Halo 2, and he simply didn't have much chance to return her to a safe location after both events for the rest of the games.

There is a chance that John Spartan 117 will not receive a replacement for Cortana.

Considering that:

1. Most of the time in the first trilogy they were separated for various reasons.

4. The possible security risks of having a spartan in the field with an AI in their suit (i.e. captured AI).

5. The reason that John was paired with Cortana (going by in-game canon) was to prevent her capture by the covenant boarding parties aboard the Pillar of Autumn, and to disarm the bomb in Halo 2, and he simply didn't have much chance to return her to a safe location after both events for the rest of the games.

There is a chance that John Spartan 117 will not receive a replacement for Cortana.

Canon ruins creativity Director but it's good for reminding us to remember it now and then. If the chief doesn't get one then let's hope for a team that he can direct, they tried RTS why not another?

This is great, the punters are starting to spec and flesh things out. Massive fan input to possible scenario's within canon boundaries is nothing but great fun, you never know we might actually work out a close enough approximation of the next installment.

Considering that:

Actually I felt they were together for the majority of the games. Their only two seperations were right after John makes it to the Cartographer in CE but he gets her back right after the Library. Thats all of two missions out of what 10? And then she stays behind at the end of H2 and you recover her in H3. That is the longest stretch they are apart. Mostly though we played as John with Cortana being present until H3.

Honestly there has only been one Spartan-II with an AI counter-part. That is John. No other Spartan-II other than him was selected to have one. This is in part due to Cortana herself choosing who would carry her. Who would offer the best compatibility for functionality between AI and organic interface. I think it was up in the 99% range for John which was higher than any other Spartan-II in terms of compatibility.

Umm no. Smart AI's while expensive do not cost as much as a fleet. Otherwise why would we have them? While no where near as common as "dumb" AI's there are still quite a few out there. What I think you were getting at was the cost of the Spartan-II program including the MJOLNIR armor systems. That cost as much as a small fleet of ships.

Thats an issue to anything that involves an AI really. Doesnt matter if its a Spartan, officer, ship or station. In combat that is always a risk.

The original purpose of Cortana was to assist in the capture of a Covenant ship in order to take it back to the Covenant "capital" and either kill or take hostage their leadership in order to force an end to the war. To do this she needed a carrier and a Spartan-II's armor provided a very good vessel for that as she is protected, is able to at performace to that Spartan and be on hand when needed during the boarding action to provide rapid responce to electronic threats.

This mission got scrubbed once Reach was attacked. The PoA fled and then Cole Protocol Artical 2 (I think its 2 might be 3) is enacted. Then it becomes Johns job not to let her fall into enemy hands.

That is always possible.

Personally I think that Cortana could be the first AI to be turned into flesh and bone by the Composer and you have to find her in H5 but who knows.

Dude, that's actually brilliant. I mean seriously, that's brilliant. And I don't say that often!

Presumably in Halo 5 Chief will be looking for some way to turn the Prometheans back into humans - you know, digital bodies into physical bodies. Well, Cortana is an actual digitised human (made from a living brain, not a dead one) so maybe she could actually be transformed into a human being?

• Like 1