DMR Designated Marksman Rifle

SergeantDoc

I couldn't find a topic that made this argument (but maybe I just suck). The designated marksman is just that, a marksman rifle. It should not be easily making shots at Sniper distance. The maps are big enough where the DMR can have it's medium to ALMOST long range but the Sniper should take the cake in all long range engagements. The DMR just kills too quickly. It's too easy to use. The bloom or recoil aren't nearly enough because the weapon destroys at any range. Halo is built on balance of basic weapons but the DMR is a preferred weapon, why? Because of its ease of use. And that's boring. I want to see Light Rifle and BR's but the DMR dominates both. The range can be left alone, but it's so easy to make follow up shots. Does anyone agree?

• Like 3

I agree, in halo reach there was actually some skill needed to use the dmr. The inner reticule would expand past the outer if u shot like a crazy *******. The skilled people in reach knew how to pace their shots to get a headshot. Now its basicly whoever can pull off 5 shots the quickest. The br and dmr both take 5 shots to kill ( with head shot) the br shoots slower and has recoil, the dmr has no recoil and shoots quicker. If 343 makes the reticule expand more on the dmr i think it will solve the problem, make it like it was in reach. So then in the starting loadouts you would have ar for cqc, br for mid range, and dmr for long range. idk i wish everyone had an ar in the beginning but thats just me

• Like 1

I think the DMR is outright over-powered. It is a 4 hit kill and has great fire rate, and you shouldn't be allowed to spawn with a weapon that is superior to every other loadout weapon. Solution? Gimp the damage & range, or make it no longer a loadout weapon. Make it a tier 2 wep, like the needler or scattershot.

I have to agree with you guys. They need to nerf the fire rate, or increase the bloom. Or both. I've used both the br and dmr a considerable amount since release, halfway through Distinguished on both guns. It has finally come to the point where I can say with certainty that the dmr is unbalanced when compared to every other loadout weapon.

The light rifle, in my opinion, is one of the coolest new guns to be added to the Halo universe, but it breaks my heart that I am afraid to even use it outside of campaign or Spartan Ops. It simply just can not stand up in competitive play against the massive amount of players who use nothing but the dmr. And why do so many people use it? Because it friggin destroys people at any range!

I didn't think so at first, either. But after a lot of ingame expirimenting, it really does excell at killing other players more so than the other rifles. The only other loadout rifle that even has a chance of standing up to it is the battle rifle, and only if its a close to mid range fight. You would have to be extremely lucky to win a fair fight using the br against a dmr at longer ranges, which is a role only the sniper weapons should be filling. I seriously do question 343's reasoning behind bringing back the dmr from reach, and somehow making it even more accurate.

If you really do think it is a balanced gun in halo 4, then just think about it like this. The covenant only have one loadout rifle, as do the promethians. Why should the UNSC get two? Kinda counter intuitive if you're trying to go for a balanced set of weapons.

I get sick of it... I wanted to rip my eyes out in reach.. counting the hours and days seconds of halos release... thinking the DMR would stop haunting me... I get so tired of the boom boom boom boom panging in my head from the torture of reach. That gun and I i hate it even though in the end i have to use it to even have a chance to kill these noobs in MM I wish i could use the AR or BR... and does anyone else notice how the BR has like a 1x magnification? its like a frckn toy and the shot doesnt even sounds real... no offense 343... my opinion? get rid of that retarded weapon. If reach was in the past... And halo 3 was in the future... why is the DMR in the present??? BR AR please. Get rid of the DMR im soo tired of it.. I feel like its ruining the game... and it makes the entire game uneven. With this other guys post , the prometheans have their loadout, the covies have their medium load out and so do the humans... then theres snipers... so what is the DMR doing here??? its like a sore thumb were you to ask me. hate that gun so much.

The DMR is a cancer of the Halo series it keeps coming back and it gets worse

Its definitely back and its as bad as it ever will be. Its not a "reliable weapon" its overused because its OP. Those who defend it are obviously those who use it and will lie and say "well i use BR too!" BS you do.

Real fans know this gun is in desperate need of a nerf and so is the boltshot, 343 doesnt listen to community. They have our money why fix it? Easily the most unbalanced multiplayer to date because of the DMR

thank you for ruining the series 343

• Like 1

I couldn't find a topic that made this argument (but maybe I just suck). The designated marksman is just that, a marksman rifle. It should not be easily making shots at Sniper distance. The maps are big enough where the DMR can have it's medium to ALMOST long range but the Sniper should take the cake in all long range engagements. The DMR just kills too quickly. It's too easy to use. The bloom or recoil aren't nearly enough because the weapon destroys at any range. Halo is built on balance of basic weapons but the DMR is a preferred weapon, why? Because of its ease of use. And that's boring. I want to see Light Rifle and BR's but the DMR dominates both. The range can be left alone, but it's so easy to make follow up shots. Does anyone agree?

1/ Making the DMR better at range won't mean you see more BRs because the BR is even worse at range. It might make the light rifle more viable.

2/ I think the point, in game balance terms, is that the DMR should give a good player with a DMR a fighting chance against a mediocre player with a sniper rifle. The sniper, binary and beam rifles are all great weapons that most players would pick up on almost any map; they will all win in an even encounter with a DMR at range (ie the sniper rifle DOES take the cake). If the DMR was worse at range it would make hanging back and camping with snipers an even easier tactic which wouldn't benefit the game.

I actually think the Snipers are much more balanced in H4 exactly because it is no longer an auto-win weapon at range so it takes more thought, support and aiming ability under pressure to get the most from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just delete the DMR from the game. 100% serious.

All the loadout rifles would then serve a purpose. Granted the Light Rifle would dominate on the bigger maps and in BTB, but shouldn't each gun serve a purpose anyway? You could dominate people who are in the open with the LR, but if someone happened to get close enough to them, they could take them out much more easily with a BR/Carbine. Guns would actually serve tactical purposes, unlike right now where you are at a disadvantage if you aren't using the DMR.

• Like 2

Dmr shouldn't have been in h4 since it doesn't really follow the timeline since reach was before h1-3, and 2 unsc mid range starters is weird. It's pretty much the best starter but everyone can use it so its not that big a deal

But to even it out, they should

Make br a 4sk again but take away hitscan so you have to lead shots like in h3 for a perfect 4

Lr should get a better reticle

Duno about carbine cus nobody uses it

I love the Idea of the DMR but from what 343 was saying prior to release and what is in the game now.

THEY LIED!!!

They made it sound like this (IMO)

You can use any start out weapon you like but some might be better in different situations.

I've been in many situations in the game where the DMR is still the best thing to hold in your hands and I disagree. It should have some kind of down side to it. If it's a designated Marksmen rifle shouldn't it be best at range? and if this is so why is it beating the BR and AR in CQC where the AR is supposed to be at its best and the BR too? Also speaking from a more in game logical prospective if an old Battle Rifle from Halo 3 time could hit a guy on the other end of sand trap just fine, why make a new BR that can barely land a bullet on a guy on the other end of complex?

Edited by Ramo 'Talusee

• 2 weeks later...

An easy fix: Reduce the range slightly on the DMR, and increase the range on the BR and Carbine.

They could make the carbine like halo 2, the shots wouldn't all be straight on if you shot it as fast as you could, but the shot were more powerful then they are now.

If you nerfed the DMR then the lightrifle will be too dominant in long ranged combat. Something to think about.