Halo is Dying

Machinga

• 3 months later...

REACH killed it for them. It was failure. Look at the activity level.

I totally agree and the reason Reach is failing is because they tried to make it like CoD with the armour abilities, they have ruined the game, the armour abilities should be on the map like in Halo3, it was a big part of the game to see who would get to the overshield or Camo first, thats what they should do with Halo4 PUT THE ARMOUR ABILITIES BACK ON THE MAP and make them part of the game again. Also more ORIGINAL MAPS not Forgeworld maps.

Hey guys i got GameInformer yesterday and halo was only mentioned in it once, as a cameo. And COD and Battlefield were mentioned at least 50 times. What happened guys? Halo goes from the number 1 game to being a tasty side dish!?!? We are the last breed of halo players guys, KEEP HALO ALIVE!!!!

LOL, Have you ever played Halo reach? Because of that pathetic game, "I" almost left halo forever. However, I saw hope when CEA came out, and halo 4 is my make or break point, I was (and to an extent am still) a die hard halo fan (excluding halo reach). Depending on halo 4, I will either begin having more hope for the series and become more active member like I was previously, OR (if it sucks) I will just end up giving up on halo and buy myself a copy of MW3....

I agree with brown the reason its not being talked about is because there's not much to talk about. Gameinformer talks about games that are getting ready to come out and since halo really doesn't have anything "new" coming out there not gonna talk about it much. This time next year that will be a different story though. Having on average 150,000 people online is not dying IMO.

You're right 150,000 people is not dying, HOWEVER reach only has about 80,000 (on a good day)

Not to mention, halo 3 has 330,000 people on even in late 2008 (which is nearly 2 years after release)

Halo reach is less than a third of that after 1 year.... unbelievably pathetic....

once halo 4 comes out it will reawaken its just there hasnt been any new games since halo reach which was over a year ago now, we were only given 1 halo 4 trailer a the minute and the game press can only give that certain amount of attention for so long because it just a trailer, halo cea wouldnt get much attention because its not a brand new game with a new story and a remake wouldnt be enough to stay in the lime light for long but once halo 4 is released it will be the talk of the show. Lets just say halo is just in "cryo sleep" for now until next year lol

You know, it's been a while since this thread began. After all this time, I would have expected somebody to point this out:

Most everyone is talking about the multiplayer mode as if the story and campaigns don't exist.

I got into the series for the story. To me, multiplayer has just been an amusing sideshow that helps to stave off boredom until the next release in the series.

As long as they keep making thrilling campaigns with inspiring tales and imagery, I'll keep playing.

Blessings of Twam on whomever plays Halo strictly for the multiplayer. But sadness befalls me when I hear about players who don't know the first thing about Halo.

• Like 1

Halo is NOT dying!! It's TRUE fans are still here!!

Thank you FatherB for giving recognition to what a video game was, and still should continue to be about...........the Campaign story! A great game cannot be based solely on the multiplayer aspects. A great game starts with a story driven campaign. Multiplayer is then built from that great story and is intended to extend it's lifespan (a title with an 8 - 12 hour campaign will have higher replayability with multiplayer). All Halo campaigns were GREAT!! And it's multiplayer continued to evolve along with it's story. I expect the same with H4!!

Oh, and I'm one member of that population that continues to enjoy both H3 AND Reach multiplayer. :thumbsup:

I agree with brown the reason its not being talked about is because there's not much to talk about. Gameinformer talks about games that are getting ready to come out and since halo really doesn't have anything "new" coming out there not gonna talk about it much. This time next year that will be a different story though. Having on average 150,000 people online is not dying IMO.

People like YOU piss me off.

You think because of a number over 0.1 that is isn't just quite dead yet. Have you been around since Halo 2? Didn't think so. Halo use to dominate consoles, and use to have a much bigger number of players than just 150,000. You pathetic poser. Go back to Call of Duty now?

First off, Halo was and still is one of the most if not "the most" profitable franchise in terms of length. Halo as a game will evolve constantly as technological bounds are broken and new techniques in graphics and physics handling emerge. Gamers on the otherhand as a norm, do not like change or evolution. They tend to latch on to something they love and fear all other comers in it's wake. Change is inevitable for a game at some point. CoD has a great campaign, it is a fact. the story telling and the repetative mechanics of the quake egnine powering it go hand in hand. People flock to CoD because they have come to kind of "expect" a certain repetative element in the game. Over time, this of coarse will fade and Infinity Ward and Activision will be forced to change it up.

I have been a Halo fan since the midnight launch of the console with Combat Evolved. I am for all intent and purposes.....an old school halo fan. But that aside I am also an extreme modder. I rip apart titles to see what makes them tick, and play with engine tweaks and this allows me to see the game in a different ligut than most. Reach is a great game. The campaign is the second best in the series in my opinion. ODST is the best so you know, and from my stand point Reach brought back a lot of drama and unknown frightening moments during the game when you truly did not know what was gonna happen next.

The particular version of Blam! running Reach is truly revolutionary. It is and always will be for some time, truly an engine ahead of it's time. Sure it easy to singleout multiplayer and say wether it wa s afailed title, but you have to judge the game on merit and full content. You cannot simply just pluck out one flaw you see and run with it all the way to the waaaaaaambulance. Having been with halo since the beginning, I see and feel no principle defference in handling or core gameplay when I pick up the controller. To date, I have never picked up the pad, started playing and was never able to carryon with my usual style of gaming. The consistency of gameplay flow has never deviated from core principles of the first Blam! engine. I can provide many fields of engine data to show the myriad of equalities in the physics and collision code alone.

Now as for silly comments about population. Populations of a game spike and dip. it's the nature of the beast. To illistrate a very strong reason for such dips, one must go back into time and evaluate the "release situation" of games in or around the time of previous Halo's. reach to date had the biggest hurdles in terms of competition. Halo 1 had none being the first xbox title and the only console FPS. Halo 2 had little to no competition because of it's "modability". In fact, Halo 2 is still one of the most modded games on the xbox to date. Halo 3 is where we started to see a push and pull in "real competition". Games like Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, etc... made it all that more important to really hit a homerun. halo 3 only survived in the market due to it's great ranking system and mix of Halo 1 engine code along with portions of Halo 2's game mechanics. Don't bother to argue this, I can prove you wrong with engine code on that, and a myriad of community comments.

Halo Reach however has had the most troublesome period. In between ODST and Reach, we saw a gigantic dip in the economy. Jobs were being lost and people were looking towards media entertainment as a much larger investment in one's "daily life". This made it all the more important to make a game that could and would, give the investee a lengthy amount of time to play and replay the product. Trouble is.....every other FPS coming out or in development waited till after reach to debut as a marketing tactic. Clearly CoD, gears, rage, Skyrim and a few others have the upper hand right now. They came in after gamers had some time to play reach, and then came in blowing minds with new features and multiplatform releases...and by that i mean PC. In fact, every title that currently beats Halo right now, is either a PC title or a console exclusive. For Reach, it is hard to compete with a game that is available for multiple systems and platforms. Had Reach been produced along side a PC version....there is no doubt that Halo would be reigning the top of the gaming ladder.

• Like 1

You think because of a number over 0.1 that is isn't just quite dead yet. Have you been around since Halo 2? Didn't think so. Halo use to dominate consoles, and use to have a much bigger number of players than just 150,000. You pathetic poser. Go back to Call of Duty now?

There are plenty of people who play Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach. Halo is not dead. Halo used to dominate consoles because there wasn't much out there that could properly compete with it. How is he a poser? If you're going to accuse someone of being a poser (or anything else for that matter), at least provide some reasons for why they are one. You also don't know if they were around since Halo 2 or not. They could have been playing since the original Halo for all you know. What he said was true. The reason that Halo isn't being talked about very much is because there's not much Halo information or news to cover. They've announced Halo 4, but what else? They've released a trailer and a concept art video. That's pretty much it apart from a few interviews, which really don't reveal a whole lot of information.

dude, will you calm down.

There are plenty of people who play Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach. Halo is not dead. Halo used to dominate consoles because there wasn't much out there that could properly compete with it. How is he a poser? If you're going to accuse someone of being a poser (or anything else for that matter), at least provide some reasons for why they are one. You also don't know if they were around since Halo 2 or not. They could have been playing since the original Halo for all you know. What he said was true. The reason that Halo isn't being talked about very much is because there's not much Halo information or news to cover. They've announced Halo 4, but what else? They've released a trailer and a concept art video. That's pretty much it apart from a few interviews, which really don't reveal a whole lot of information.

Provide information for what reason? I see no point. This is the internet. Not some life or death situation. I think all of the people who say "Halo IS S0 F4R FR0M DED!" You know what? Thats BULL. It's already dead. Other games have been released since Halo 3 and I completely understand that. With much bigger titles, it's almost impossible to maintain a HUGE community as it was before. Still though, Reach has been going no where until recently. I and most of the community are very happy with 343i 's changes. Maybe then will we have some revival?

Provide information for what reason? I see no point. This is the internet. Not some life or death situation. I think all of the people who say "Halo IS S0 F4R FR0M DED!" You know what? Thats BULL. It's already dead. Other games have been released since Halo 3 and I completely understand that. With much bigger titles, it's almost impossible to maintain a HUGE community as it was before. Still though, Reach has been going no where until recently. I and most of the community are very happy with 343i 's changes. Maybe then will we have some revival?

No point? Well if you want someone to take you seriously or to understand your way of thinking, it's best to provide something to back up your claims. Simply saying "Oh, this person is a _____ " without explaining why makes you look silly. The same applies to when you might say "_____ sucks and stuff. _____ breaks the game. _____ plays too much like _____"

Claiming something without providing reasons or examples to back up your claims results in people not being able to understand why you think what you do. Do you really want people not to understand your way of thinking?

dude weather halo is dead or not is fully opinion and nothing more....debating it is semi useless....if you think halo is dead then don't buy halo 4 simple as that....im not even going to buy it until i play it first to make sure its fun and im a super fanboy halo nerd

with all honesty, if halo was dead, there would be no need for a site like this, when you look up fics all you will get is old crap, and when you go and play there would be only one or two playlists open cause everyone moved on. heck, people still play halo CE the original pc version. dead my ass. if halo was dead, then they wouldn't be talking about a movie, or even trying to make a new game, wanna know why? cause corproations only work with whats going to get them paid. yeah there are alot of other games out there, and we will focus our attention on the new ones, but hey, your still going to halo reach aren't you? your still playing, so are others, when you get done with your new game, your going to go back to Halo. even if 343i didn't work with halo reach, even if they just let it be, people will still go, wanna know why? cause its fun, cause Halo is addicting. and trust me, they may say its because they love the game, but their boss wouldn't have let them go through with it if it was going to be a waste of time and money.

• Like 1