The Future of Halo

Goldfish Lord

To 343 Industries:

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you all on Halo 4. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started playing it on Solo Legendary about 6:00 the Friday it came out, and had it beat by 2:00 the next day. It was very engaging. I have beaten all the Halo games on Solo Legendary, ODST and Reach on LASO, and I am currently working through the Halo books, so I consider myself well-versed in the Halo Universe. I think you did a great job of keeping true to the feel of Halo, and the new Master Chief looks awesome. I especially loved the intro with Dr. Halsey, it really got me pumped for the game.

However, I have some concerns.

1) The legendary ending of Halo 4 shows a glimpse of Master Chief's face. It only flashed for a second, so I only had time to see the intensity in his eyes, but I was still shocked. The face of SPARTAN-117 cannot be shown. Please do not continue to do so. Perhaps some have requested it, but the die-hard fans of Halo do NOT want this.

2) I saw that there are tentative ideas about revealing more about Master Chief's past and the origin of the Spartans in Halo 5. I am not against this, but I fear that if you try to put that into a game focused on the Forerunner story, then it will be butchered. Those areas merit a game to themselves, if it is done right. For example, if the plan is to have Master Chief experience flashbacks throughout Halo 5, I disagree. While in Halo 4, you did a good job of not making our hero too sentimental, flashbacks would suggest that his resolve is failing. It would be a disappointment to fans. But that's just an example.

3) In Halo 4, I saw the Covenant lose their edge a little. They weren't as difficult to deal with as in other games. Please don't downgrade them to make the new enemies appear tougher. Rather, keep the Covenant the same, and upgrade the Prometheans.

These points are all I'm really worried about. I believe that the next game in the series will be magnificent.

Also, thank you so much for letting us pilot a Longsword! It is now my favorite vehicle.

The problem with the Covenant is that they are weaker, and thus should be downgraded. The Prophets are all dead, leaving them leaderless, and the Brutes have been left to more or less die (correct me if I'm wrong on that, and didn't the Elites secede as well?). It's not that 343 just downgraded them in order to make the Forerunners the primary antagonists, it's that the Covenant actually is weaker as a whole.

The Covenant you fight in Halo 4 are Storm Covenant, who broke off from the aliens that signed a treaty with the humans, yes, but that shouldn't have too much of an effect. Military engagements have always been led by Elites, not Prophets. I did not see a loss of unit cohesion among the Covenant, they were just individually easier to kill, and easier to not get killed by them. But not by much. It's not something that really bothered me in the game, I actually only realized it after I was on about the 7th mission. Anyway, I believe that there being only four Covenant races in Halo 4 can be attributed to the fact that they're Storm Covenant, but not their performance in battle. Remember, they assembled a fleet, found the Forerunner planet (which their peaceful counterparts failed to do), reorganized after crashing onto the surface, set up sniper towers, turned existing buildings into bunkers, erected new buildings, and stayed one step behind Master Chief and Cortana, which is all they've ever been able to do. You have to consider that they had plenty of ammo, they were well-armed, they had vehicles, and therefore, they had organization and leadership. My complaint, which is much more minor than this response may lead to to believe, is simply that they take fewer hits to kill.

Personally, I feel like they have the choice to do whatever they want, which makes the game so much more exciting. The whole campaign for Halo 4 was extremely surprising and made me have shivers ever other minute. They showed enough of the face to me personally to show his experiences and hardship through his eyes. They probably wont show anymore of it but I really did enjoy seeing his face and everything else in Halo 4. (: