Halo 4 Lag Issues..Any Information?

GoodWood

Hey everybody, I'm new to this website however I've been a big halo fan since combat evolved and was a pretty active member on bungie.net. However now that 343 is in control, I've come to this site with some questions, and will hopefully receive some answers in return. For the first week of halo 4 since it's release date, everything went extremely smooth for me. Spartan ops, multiplayer, and co-op campaign were super smooth and amazing. Now it seems that I've hit a bump in a road. For atleast the past five days, I've experienced "playable" multiplayer, however I have to be patient with teleporting enemies/vehicles, slow framerates at times, and freezing br/dmr duels that result in my shields suddenly disappearing and resulting in my death. When it comes to spartan ops, a good day online involves another "playable" game, but is riddled with horrible lag and frame rate issues. Pulling my trigger and having shots fired one to two seconds later has become a norm for me on online spartan ops. I do have a wireless connection, however I have open nat, and a great strong signal. I also went to the extent of forwarding ports for xbox live. I have never had these issues before (besides in Halo Reach Firefight) with any other halo game online. In conclusion, I'm really just curious if anyone else is experiencing these problems recently, if these issues are going to be fixed, or if 343i has addressed any these issues at all.

• Like 1

Hey everybody, I'm new to this website however I've been a big halo fan since combat evolved and was a pretty active member on bungie.net. However now that 343 is in control, I've come to this site with some questions, and will hopefully receive some answers in return. For the first week of halo 4 since it's release date, everything went extremely smooth for me. Spartan ops, multiplayer, and co-op campaign were super smooth and amazing. Now it seems that I've hit a bump in a road. For atleast the past five days, I've experienced "playable" multiplayer, however I have to be patient with teleporting enemies/vehicles, slow framerates at times, and freezing br/dmr duels that result in my shields suddenly disappearing and resulting in my death. When it comes to spartan ops, a good day online involves another "playable" game, but is riddled with horrible lag and frame rate issues. Pulling my trigger and having shots fired one to two seconds later has become a norm for me on online spartan ops. I do have a wireless connection, however I have open nat, and a great strong signal. I also went to the extent of forwarding ports for xbox live. I have never had these issues before (besides in Halo Reach Firefight) with any other halo game online. In conclusion, I'm really just curious if anyone else is experiencing these problems recently, if these issues are going to be fixed, or if 343i has addressed any these issues at all.

BOOM, yep something they did to the servers screwed it up for a lot of people instead of helping. Oh and did I mention now cheaters are flourishing on this game because of all this? Its dumb.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's really bad. I really enjoy emptying a full DMR, or SAW or AR or any weapon you choose into someone and their shields not so much as blinking. Way to go 343. Thanx for putting a "franchise" game on a server base meant to handle about 5 percent of the current traffic. I know that's what I'd do. (sarcasm)

Here's an idea. PUT THE FREAKIN' GAME ON DEDICATED SERVERS IDIOTS!!

Yeah, it's really bad. I really enjoy emptying a full DMR, or SAW or AR or any weapon you choose into someone and their shields not so much as blinking. Way to go 343. Thanx for putting a "franchise" game on a server base meant to handle about 5 percent of the current traffic. I know that's what I'd do. (sarcasm)

Here's an idea. PUT THE FREAKIN' GAME ON DEDICATED SERVERS IDIOTS!!

Please don't flame.

I do not know what is exactly wrong but I am sure that providing power to over 50,000 matchmaking servers is harder than it looks.

Please don't flame.

I do not know what is exactly wrong but I am sure that providing power to over 50,000 matchmaking servers is harder than it looks.

I agree and disagree with this statement. Halo Reach as bad as the game was actually supported a lot of people and had nearly no lag issues. Going backwards on a MM system is stupid, especially when the servers are the only real issue.

The entire problem stems from their switch to the newer Azure Cloud Sevrer models. When Bungie had control over things, they kinda dictated to Microsoft what was needed, and made sure they released a Beta to help support and to work bugs out of, said servers and netcode.

Halo 4 was a huge switch to Cloud Server based OS, and the fact that they did not release a worldwide public Beta, did not help them at all to identify problems or hic-ups early on. Now that the masses have flooded the MM, they are stuck trying to resolve problems that would have likely took 2-3 months to fix up perfectly after a beta. But now with people gaming it changes the way they need to fix it, and how they go about it. it is going to be a long bumpy ride my friends...

• Like 3

Well just in case it isn't a server problem check your internet connection, could be a simple solution. Or check your disc for any problems. I recently discovered that mine has a large laser burn in it, but it is causing other problems. Lastly whenever it lags for me, I sit in a corner and crouch for 10-15 seconds. For me the problems tends to be solved by this, don't take this as a reliable way to fix it though. :D

• Like 2

The entire problem stems from their switch to the newer Azure Cloud Sevrer models. When Bungie had control over things, they kinda dictated to Microsoft what was needed, and made sure they released a Beta to help support and to work bugs out of, said servers and netcode.

Halo 4 was a huge switch to Cloud Server based OS, and the fact that they did not release a worldwide public Beta, did not help them at all to identify problems or hic-ups early on. Now that the masses have flooded the MM, they are stuck trying to resolve problems that would have likely took 2-3 months to fix up perfectly after a beta. But now with people gaming it changes the way they need to fix it, and how they go about it. it is going to be a long bumpy ride my friends...

Best explanation so far. Good job, also gives some light to the situation and something that can be fixed with time.

I've basically come to the conclusion that I can only enjoy halo 4 through two ways. One is by playing campaign. The other is by playing spartan ops by myself. Playing war games online is extremely frustrating and not enjoyable anymore due to lag. I also don't want my kill death ratio to go down the gutter either, something that will happen if I decide to just play war games regardless of the lag/teleportation/freezing/etc. spartan ops online with other people is just not even worth it whatsoever. I have yet to experience even a slightly laggy game online in spartan ops. Really let down by all of this in all honesty.

Well just in case it isn't a server problem check your internet connection, could be a simple solution. Or check your disc for any problems. I recently discovered that mine has a large laser burn in it, but it is causing other problems. Lastly whenever it lags for me, I sit in a corner and crouch for 10-15 seconds. For me the problems tends to be solved by this, don't take this as a reliable way to fix it though. :D

Ill make sure to check my disc just in case. My online connection is perfectly fine and I've never had these problems in online matchmaking before. Ill try crouching in a corner too to see if that helps. Thanks for the reply

Ill make sure to check my disc just in case. My online connection is perfectly fine and I've never had these problems in online matchmaking before. Ill try crouching in a corner too to see if that helps. Thanks for the reply

I always just assume that not doing anything for a bit allows everything to catch up for you. This is probably completely wrong, but I don't care, it still works for me.

I always just assume that not doing anything for a bit allows everything to catch up for you. This is probably completely wrong, but I don't care, it still works for me.

Yeah just makes me feel better, majority of the issues are coming from frame-rate lag anyways. Some are definitely server but they are actively trying to update them or fix them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's what you get with a p2p multiplayer and a shrunked userbase. Get more players online and your problem is solved.

It's mostly because of distance to host, nothing else.

All the servers does is grouping people together and selecting which one of them being most suitable for host, nothing else. Lag during gameplay has nothing to do with servers.

• 5 weeks later...

I lagged here and there. But I Forwarded all my ports in my router to all of XBL Ports. 3074 is the main port but there are mor private ones out there. This is usally used to change a moderate nat to a open one. Go here. http://portforward.com/ and lok up your router brand and model number. Then choose halo 4(ctrl + f brings up a serch on your computer once you on the page looking for Halo 4. just type it in)