Captain Del Rio

Baeztoberfest

This was a pretty good read. And pretty spot on.

I think del rios plan was solid. They went with the chiefs plan after all and that barely worked through chance really. But that's something he's got isn't it? Luck? All that aside (luck), del rio was following standard procedure. Did you know that in combat rather than let enemies capture valuable items on the battlefield our orders are to destroy them making them useless to the enemy? I'm not saying that this means the infinity is expendable. I'm saying this was the biggest UNSC flag ship ever constructed. It had importance. Letting it fall into enemy hands wasn't an option.

Orbiting a hostile planet not sending word to earth was not an option. Staying on requiem grounded was not an option. Given his choices he made the right decisions.

I think it's fair to say ivanoff station was doomed when they brought the composer aboard to begin with.

Marines could've taken out the chief. Don't believe me? Crank Halo 3 up on legendary and shoot some marines. Go on. Lol. I'll wait...

What happened? Thought so. Marines are tough stuff.

Another great post. There is something else I believe we are all forgetting here though. Cortana.

Cortana was exibiting rampent tendancies and ever went berserk on the bridge of the Infinity. Why does this matter? Cortana is, literally, plugged into the MC suit and in Del Rio's eyes this could have utterly corrupted him (MC) as well. All Del Rio (most likely) knew about the original S2s is that they were conscipted as children but considering how poorly they were treating Halsey (calling her a Mad Scientist, etc) he may have believed that Cortana could have somehow corrupted the MC as well and wasn't going to take any chances. Hence him saying to the MC he wouldn't "take the word of an aging Spartan and his manfunctioning AI".

Another great post. There is something else I believe we are all forgetting here though. Cortana.

Cortana was exibiting rampent tendancies and ever went berserk on the bridge of the Infinity. Why does this matter? Cortana is, literally, plugged into the MC suit and in Del Rio's eyes this could have utterly corrupted him (MC) as well. All Del Rio (most likely) knew about the original S2s is that they were conscipted as children but considering how poorly they were treating Halsey (calling her a Mad Scientist, etc) he may have believed that Cortana could have somehow corrupted the MC as well and wasn't going to take any chances. Hence him saying to the MC he wouldn't "take the word of an aging Spartan and his manfunctioning AI".

You raise a good point. Another person replied that Cortana literally defeated The Didact. This is actually 100%. John wouldn't have stood a chance otherwise.

On the other hand, that chick was CRAZY! Putting her into your armor, MUCH LESS THE CONTROLS TO THE INFINITY, seemed insane to begin with! That whole thing could've gone seriously wrong for those reasons. Her part in 4 was a lot deeper than I think people really give credit for.

Most people only talk about her dying or if she didn't die at all? Only time will tell. But she did so much more that is worth commenting on. Specifically to this thread is her direct involvement with Captain Andrew Del Rio.

As stated before her significance to ONI would have been enough for nobody on board The Infinity to be able to decommission her. As for Del Rios aggressive gestures toward her? I can see how HUGE of a problem she could've been, especially in Inifinitys computer systems.

I can see Del Rios aggression toward the Chief as well as he wanted things to go smoothly. Good it have been a lot worse? Yes. Could it have gone a little smoother if people had just listened to the Captain? I think so.

There's 100 comments and 6 pages thus far of both sides of the coin but I'm not seeing either side of the issue making a standalone winning argument for either case. Not without either more background or more information on Del Rio himself and his motives and reasoning.

You raise a good point. Another person replied that Cortana literally defeated The Didact. This is actually 100%. John wouldn't have stood a chance otherwise.

On the other hand, that chick was CRAZY! Putting her into your armor, MUCH LESS THE CONTROLS TO THE INFINITY, seemed insane to begin with! That whole thing could've gone seriously wrong for those reasons. Her part in 4 was a lot deeper than I think people really give credit for.

Most people only talk about her dying or if she didn't die at all? Only time will tell. But she did so much more that is worth commenting on. Specifically to this thread is her direct involvement with Captain Andrew Del Rio.

As stated before her significance to ONI would have been enough for nobody on board The Infinity to be able to decommission her. As for Del Rios aggressive gestures toward her? I can see how HUGE of a problem she could've been, especially in Inifinitys computer systems.

I can see Del Rios aggression toward the Chief as well as he wanted things to go smoothly. Good it have been a lot worse? Yes. Could it have gone a little smoother if people had just listened to the Captain? I think so.

There's 100 comments and 6 pages thus far of both sides of the coin but I'm not seeing either side of the issue making a standalone winning argument for either case. Not without either more background or more information on Del Rio himself and his motives and reasoning.

Mendicant Bias was able to single handedly shut down the Forerunner capital, destroy them with a Halo Ring, shut down their ancillas and take control of their armor. Rampent AIs are no joke.

Personally found the old man. Just a little to stern and very naive. The story could of been drastically changed if he would've loosened up! but just a humble opinion. Loved his character though and agree with how well put together he was!

I liked Del Rio as a character, but i can understand why he was removed from command.

"oh hey Del Rio! what's up?"

"you know that guy who saved us all and has been right about saving us a bunch of times but died??"

"yeah?"

"He's alive."

"What!?! where is he?"

"He said he needed to do something to save earth, but i thought it was a load of crap so i left him there."

Totally deserved it.

When compared to Lasky did anyone even think of the long road that must have happened for the UNSC to trust Captain Del Rio with the Infinity? I mean he couldn't have been a slacker. He had to have done something noteworthy.

From Waypoint:

With more than 30 years of naval experience under his belt and a reputation for bringing his ships home in one piece, Andrew Del Rio was a relatively easy choice for the UNSC’s captain seat on Infinity

Halopedia has a good amount on him, as well. Seems he was indeed assigned to the Infinity by Paragonsky but wasn't here "first choice".

From Waypoint:

With more than 30 years of naval experience under his belt and a reputation for bringing his ships home in one piece, Andrew Del Rio was a relatively easy choice for the UNSC’s captain seat on Infinity

Halopedia has a good amount on him, as well. Seems he was indeed assigned to the Infinity by Paragonsky but wasn't here "first choice".

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...