Captain Del Rio

Baeztoberfest

I believe this character was right. His motives seemed clear to me and he was obviously a well thought up character. His commands went directly disobeyed and this in a real military wouldn't have flown at all.

Master Chief would have been court martialed and chaptered out of the military.

Back on subject. I'd like to see more character development for captain del rio in Halo 5. Maybe give him an Arbiter like quality in the next installment?

He was obviously given command of the largest UNSC ship in the galaxy for a reason. His fearless leadership does NOT make him a plot device. I also liked his authority that just because he was talking to the guy who single handedly anhilated two alien species that there IS in fact a chain of command and that the Chief isn't above the law. (Or UCMJ in this example)

In closing I'd just like to say I want more from Captain Del Rio in Halo 5. I wish he would play a SIGNIFICANT role in the next installment and his part to play in Halo 4 was nothing less than breathtaking. I preferred him to Cortana anyway. And Lord Hood. Perhaps he'll punish that Lasky fellow for being insubordinate in the next game too.

Del Rio was a coward and a fool. He fled from Requiem, putting the safety of himself and his ship above the safety of the entire human race. He knew what the Didact could do, he knew that the Didact was vulnerable, but he still fled. He was fired for a reason. I doubt that we'll ever hear from him again.

• Like 6

Del Rio was a coward and a fool. He fled from Requiem, putting the safety of himself and his ship above the safety of the entire human race. He knew what the Didact could do, he knew that the Didact was vulnerable, but he still fled. He was fired for a reason. I doubt that we'll ever hear from him again.

The man had his back against a wall. The Chiefs antics and direct disobedience put everyone at risk. He made a decision to protect everyone on board The Infinity. That is hardly the actions of a coward. He was only fired because his superiors were morons. Recklessly endangering your crew by pointlessly navigating into merky conditions is hardly befitting of any commander or captain. COUGH* Titanic COUGH*. No for all intents and purposes Captain Del Rio was a saint.

He single handedly in most likelihood saved the crew of The Infinity, but that's just speculation. What I can prove through fact and in game cinematics was that he was charged with command and he executed his duties superbly. He deserves to finish out the series more so than Cortana obviously.

My prediction is that he will in fact return as a major protagonist and save MC yet again when he returns.

Oh and to carry on further, nobody knew what the Didact was capable of. They had never met a forerunner before then. That had already been said.

• Like 1

The Didact disabled the Infinity, causing it to crash. Then, in the Infinity's moment of weakness, he proceeds to effortlessly steal data from it's systems. The Infinity's strongest weapon, it's Mass Accelerator Cannons, don't destroy the Didact's ship (or whatever that is) like they would any other ship. There is MC's account of what the Didact (worshiped by the Covenant, telekinesis, etc.). There is also their knowledge of Forerunners and their creations. The Halo rings, the Ark, and the Composer are all great examples of what the Forerunners are capable of.

I highly doubt all those points flooded the good captains thoughts as he didn't address any of that in te cinematic. What WAS addressed was the lives of all the men and women working aboard The Infinity. Regardless if what they had realized Captain Del Rio still made every valiant effort to save the ship while that Lasky idiot stood by and was a basic "Yes-Man" to the chief.

Captain Del Rio, or as I've grown accustomed to calling him simply "Rio", was following protocol to the T. The long and short of it was he gave a direct order to Master Chief and he disobeyed. Treason, in times of war, as per the uniformed code of military justice (UCMJ), dictates that this crime is punishable by death by the commanding officer.

Another point I'm raising is the LENIENCY Rio shows the MC by choosing to spare his life. Just one more reason Rio was essential to the storyline and will be on board for further sequels. I'm wondering at this point if he is not the bravest soldier in the entire campaign next to The Inifinity's Spartan IV commander Sarah Palmer.

If thoughts of what the Didact could do were not in Del Rio's mind when he made his decision, then he is unfit to command anyone. A good leader should consider everything before he makes his decision. And the lives of the people aboard the Infinity mean nothing when compared to the rest of the human race.

• Like 5

If thoughts of what the Didact could do were not in Del Rio's mind when he made his decision, then he is unfit to command anyone. A good leader should consider everything before he makes his decision. And the lives of the people aboard the Infinity mean nothing when compared to the rest of the human race.

I bet you'd feel differently had you been aboard the massive space cruiser. In times of immense combat stress you make decisions that you will live with forever. But at the time they are instinct. To be on subject, nothing proves that Rio was a bad leader and would deserve to be discharged and forgotten about. All the facts I've pointed out were in the game and cinematics that all contribute to Rio's golden character and how vital he really is for the Halo franchise to continue.

The Didact disabled the Infinity, causing it to crash. Then, in the Infinity's moment of weakness, he proceeds to effortlessly steal data from it's systems. The Infinity's strongest weapon, it's Mass Accelerator Cannons, don't destroy the Didact's ship (or whatever that is) like they would any other ship. There is MC's account of what the Didact (worshiped by the Covenant, telekinesis, etc.). There is also their knowledge of Forerunners and their creations. The Halo rings, the Ark, and the Composer are all great examples of what the Forerunners are capable of.

Exactly. In those circumstances, where you can't do anything to hurt the Didact anyway, doesn't it seem like a better idea to get out of there and let everyone else know what's going on? If they'd stayed and fought, the Infinity probably would just have been destroyed, and humanity would have been Composed because Del Rio wouldn't have warned them of the danger.

His getting out of there actually makes sense. What's less defendable is abandoning Chief without any help at all: technically Chief doesn't have to take orders from him as he's no longer part of the UNSC (he was declared MIA, after all), so he couldn't stop him from going, but knowing the he was going to try he should have helped him with everything he could. SOMEONE needed to get back outside Requiem to warn everyone about the Didact - but you don't need an entire ship full of soldiers, weapons, and vehicles in order to do that. He should have dropped everything off to help Chief, and then ordered the Infinity back to UNSC space with the bare minimum crew.

Exactly. In those circumstances, where you can't do anything to hurt the Didact anyway, doesn't it seem like a better idea to get out of there and let everyone else know what's going on? If they'd stayed and fought, the Infinity probably would just have been destroyed, and humanity would have been Composed because Del Rio wouldn't have warned them of the danger.

His getting out of there actually makes sense. What's less defendable is abandoning Chief without any help at all: technically Chief doesn't have to take orders from him as he's no longer part of the UNSC (he was declared MIA, after all), so he couldn't stop him from going, but knowing the he was going to try he should have helped him with everything he could. SOMEONE needed to get back outside Requiem to warn everyone about the Didact - but you don't need an entire ship full of soldiers, weapons, and vehicles in order to do that. He should have dropped everything off to help Chief, and then ordered the Infinity back to UNSC space with the bare minimum crew.

I can agree to a point where you're right. My only argument is how does this reflect bad leadership on Rio's part? His orders weren't to "go ahead chief, save the day!" He said I stand down. His thoughts were protecting the ship and crew. How does that demonstrate poor leadership?

There was a quote or something in the game manual stuff I believe that Parangosky was reluctant to put Del Rio in charge of the Infinity because he wasn't a great Captain, but more of a manager.

So going by this I wouldn't be so quick to praise him with all my glory about his great captain skills. His actions were understandable though, but he did get a bit crazy in front of his crew, not a good self image there. Especially when no one listens to him.

And he was fired for a good reason. He completely abandoned the man who played a pivotal role in the human-covenant war and destroyed the flood in the process. There is literally no comparison in the real world to compare this to.

Edit: Also you can't use the USMJ as a valid argument. The UNSC is the United Nations not the United States. Nothing enacted by the USA 700 years ago really applies to the UNSC, or the UEG.

• Like 2

How can they court martial Master Chief? He was kidnapped as a child by the UNSC and replaced with a flash clone. They proceeded to invest huge amounts of money in Master Chief. Even if he wanted to leave the UNSC, I doubt they'd let their investment walk away. They spent too much money, he knows too many dark secrets, and honestly they need him too desperately to ever throw the book at him.

It was an extreme situation that will likely never happen again. ONI is now aware of the line in the sand the Chief drew and they will ensure the Chief is handled with more caution so they don't lose the asset. In fact, Lasky may have been tapped on the shoulder by ONI to be Master Chief's new handler (with instructions to use the soft gloves). They want "Halo 5: Chief goes renegade" about as much as they want "Halo 5: Fall of Earth." I'm sure ONI is prepared for either worst case scenario, of course.

If anything, Del Rio's mistake was his willingness to discard Chief and Cortana. He failed to realize that the UNSC's total investment in Chief and Cortana was enormous, probably greater than the entire cost of the Spartan 4 project and the Infinity. I wouldn't be surprised if Chief alone was a bigger investment than the Spartan 3 program, the Spartan 4 program, and the Infinity combined. When you look at return on investment, the Chief and Cortana are by far the best investments the UNSC has ever made. Del Rio was making a decision way over his pay grade, a decision that could not be reversed, a decision that was at odds with the expressed sentiments of his superiors.

That said, I would like to see Del Rio return in some way. It would be interesting to see Master Chief with a human nemesis, or it would be interesting to see Del Rio redeem himself. He was a gray character who could go either way, I think, and it would be a great plot.

Also, it's noteworthy that Del Rio saw Cortana as a machine, not a person.

When you rescue a person, it's typical they might require medical attention or emotional counseling. Del Rio didn't offer any support like that for Cortana. His scientists may have been able to stabilize her condition or even repair it completely. Del Rio didn't even run a diagnostic on Cortana, as far as I can tell.

The whole thing reminded me of the Star Trek episode where Picard argues that the android Data is a crew member rather than a piece of equipment.

I can agree to a point where you're right. My only argument is how does this reflect bad leadership on Rio's part? His orders weren't to "go ahead chief, save the day!" He said I stand down. His thoughts were protecting the ship and crew. How does that demonstrate poor leadership?

It's bad leadership because he wasn't making full use of his resources. all he needed to get a warning back to Earth was the Infinity itself: you don't need the extra tanks, soldiers, and weapons to do that, and indeed they didn't make any difference on the Infinity. However, he could have told them to stay with Chief, a situation where they could have made a very real difference, and didn't. That's a bad decision, and thus I believe poor leadership.

• Like 2

Yes but to get the largest UNSC vessel in the galaxy back to earth hopscotching all over the galaxy hardly seems like a rational decision. If I was aboard a super cruiser in the yukatan peninsula why would I turn around and go all the way back to America just to tell them trouble is coming?

I'd either radio it back, or if that didn't work I'd try and neutralize the threat as best as possible while maintaining military superiority and protecting government assets.

A statement was made previously about the chief being the UNSC's greatest achievement with Cortana in terms of return investment. I agree 100% with that statement. That is FACT. So why would a captain send that greatest investment head first into combat sacrificing himself needlessly when after regrouping and contacting earth Rio could have stopped them with the Infinity?

Rio was simply looking out for the chief, his crew, and earth. Granted it was more from a defensive posture than from a typical "guns a blazing" posture were all so used too... But that doesn't make the captain wrong.

Another reason I believe Rio was PIVOTAL in the storyline was because he was willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to save the chief to begin with. It's no mystery who was on the Forward Unto Dawn at that point. I'm sure in mitary briefings and what not following the events of Halo 3, it was documented by the Arbiters account that the chief was on board the Forward Unto Dawn.

This means Rio was well aware the asset he had on that ship when he got the distress signal and instead of sending in scouts the whole fleet began to move in for a rescue. (Then being drawn into Requiem by the Didact.)

Also keep in mind that The Infinity isn't a militaristic weapon but an expeditionary vessel. It's combat prowess lies elsewhere.

Nobody assumed a Forerunner planet containing the Didact would be their demise. In these regards Captain Del Rio is still in my opinion a true patriot and a UNSC officer rivaled in courage only by MC himself, but being that MC denies direct orders, the win goes to Captain Del Rio in this particular game.

Yeah when I played this part I though that Rio was making the right decision. Far better to get off of the planet an warn Humanity of the impending danger than to stay there in a condition that the infinity can't "endure another attack like that."

Del Rio was in a tough situation where neither choice would have been wrong and he choose the one where he figured would end up better for humanity as a whole.

Master Chief shouldn't be punished for disobeying orders though.

Yeah when I played this part I though that Rio was making the right decision. Far better to get off of the planet an warn Humanity of the impending danger than to stay there in a condition that the infinity can't "endure another attack like that."

Del Rio was in a tough situation where neither choice would have been wrong and he choose the one where he figured would end up better for humanity as a whole.

Master Chief shouldn't be punished for disobeying orders though.

Well yeah... I mean it was wrong for him to go out all lone wolf but... Even if they were supposed to arrest him... Do they make cuffs in his size? Also I wouldn't be the MP to subdue the chief.

The Captain in question is a horrible character. First the chief never violates any orders as he is listed as MIA meaning he is not active. Second he is senior Chief off the navy meaning his command structure falls directly under commander hood. Third he is in spec ops meaning his command falls directly under spec ops. Fourth no Captain would ever be given command of thee Navy's flag ship as it is the command ship of a battle group or task force meaning he would need at the very least the rank of rear Admiral. Fifth the Chief saved the earth, the Captain, the crew and his ship, oh and the galaxy. There is no Captain in existence crazy enough to question him as top brass would have their head on a spike. Which by the way they did, relieved of command. The single greatest hero in the known universe, tthe man who just saved you and your entire crew and you try to arrest him because he is trying to stop the earth and human race from being destroyed.

The Chief could of had him relieved of command for incompetence in a heart beat. As it was how many people died on earth because of the Captains failure to act.

Finally we already know the Chief has been granted full authority to act on his own accord in defense of the humane race. To question him is to question the direct orders of Lord Hood and Navel command. Take a look at Johns Rank insignia at the end of Halo 3 gold stars, 3 gold stars, there is only one insignia like that in all of the navy. Senior Command Master Chief of the navy, which means his billet protocol is that of a Vice Admiral. AKA John out ranks him anyway. So not only did the captain not have a clue, he also violated Lord Hoods standing orders, broke the chain of command and violated protocol. Oh yeah he is a genius.

The Captain in question is a horrible character. First the chief never violates any orders as he is listed as MIA meaning he is not active. Second he is senior Chief off the navy meaning his command structure falls directly under commander hood. Third he is in spec ops meaning his command falls directly under spec ops. Fourth no Captain would ever be given command of thee Navy's flag ship as it is the command ship of a battle group or task force meaning he would need at the very least the rank of rear Admiral. Fifth the Chief saved the earth, the Captain, the crew and his ship, oh and the galaxy. There is no Captain in existence crazy enough to question him as top brass would have their head on a spike. Which by the way they did, relieved of command. The single greatest hero in the known universe, tthe man who just saved you and your entire crew and you try to arrest him because he is trying to stop the earth and human race from being destroyed.

The Chief could of had him relieved of command for incompetence in a heart beat. As it was how many people died on earth because of the Captains failure to act.

Finally we already know the Chief has been granted full authority to act on his own accord in defense of the humane race. To question him is to question the direct orders of Lord Hood and Navel command. Take a look at Johns Rank insignia at the end of Halo 3 gold stars, 3 gold stars, there is only one insignia like that in all of the navy. Senior Command Master Chief of the navy, which means his billet protocol is that of a Vice Admiral. AKA John out ranks him anyway. So not only did the captain not have a clue, he also violated Lord Hoods standing orders, broke the chain of command and violated protocol. Oh yeah he is a genius.

Sorry the insignia is that of the Master Chief Petty officer of the navy. Same thing, senior most enlisted under the direct command of navel command, billet protcol of a Vice Admiral. Right def wrong name.

Sorry the insignia is that of the Master Chief Petty officer of the navy. Same thing, senior most enlisted under the direct command of navel command, billet protcol of a Vice Admiral. Right def wrong name.

Well I know this was my thread and I had a point. But this pretty much shuts it down. Bravo sir bravo. Clearly you know and understand chain of command and how the military works. Are you in the navy? After reading this post I'd guess you were. And before you ask, no I'm not being sarcastic. Seriously. This is how you end a good debate.

Although even of people disagreed with me I would've liked to see more people argue the fact that his character presence would've made for a good antagonist at a minimum in future Halo titles. Unless 343 has bigger fish to get.

Well yeah... I mean it was wrong for him to go out all lone wolf but... Even if they were supposed to arrest him... Do they make cuffs in his size? Also I wouldn't be the MP to subdue the chief.

Lone wolf nothing, John is under standing orders of NAVCOM. "Defend Humanity" Unless Captain Del Rio suddenly became Fleet Admiral Commander of Navel operation, he is directly trying to countermand Johns standing orders. Not to mention trying to give orders out of his command authority. Master Chief Petty officer of the navy. Is under the direct command structure of NAVCOM, and under the direct command of Lord Commander Hood. Del Rio is so out of his depth it's nott even funny. The only people John answers to are NAVCOM and they are the only ones who can givee him orders, and nobody can countermand Hoods orders except Hood. To further John is under his own discretion, and the chief spec ops asset. Unless given authority by Hood and or NAVCOM to command such assets, then he has zero authority over John. Let me put it this way unless given the authority by NAVCOM, no Ship Captian could start ording SEALS around, let alone the command Master Chief of the SEALS. They would be deployed and ordered by Operation Command. The Captain would be nothing more than a Cab driver to them. Take us here.

As for protocol, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (Johns official Rank). Billet Protcol dictates he is to be treated as a Vice Admiral. While this does not mean John runs around commanding fleets, it does mean if he makes a request or recomendation you had better listen because NAVCOM will bust your *** if you don't. Any person in the navy knows this. Just to achieve this rank is the highest honor an enlisted can recieve from the navy. It's a huge deal, and to treat the MCPON with such disreguard, and to threaten to arrest him is nothing more than a Captain asking to be relieved. He is not under Del Rio's command structure. The Chief works for NAVCOM as a direct spec ops asset and holds the single highest enlisted rank in the navy placing him under Hoods command. Literally CHain of command goes like this in terms of giving chief orders, Commander Navel operations, Senior officer NAVCOM if Hood is unavailable, Chiefs discretion under Hoods standing orders for him. That's it.

• Like 1

Lone wolf nothing, John is under standing orders of NAVCOM. "Defend Humanity" Unless Captain Del Rio suddenly became Fleet Admiral Commander of Navel operation, he is directly trying to countermand Johns standing orders. Not to mention trying to give orders out of his command authority. Master Chief Petty officer of the navy. Is under the direct command structure of NAVCOM, and under the direct command of Lord Commander Hood. Del Rio is so out of his depth it's nott even funny. The only people John answers to are NAVCOM and they are the only ones who can givee him orders, and nobody can countermand Hoods orders except Hood. To further John is under his own discretion, and the chief spec ops asset. Unless given authority by Hood and or NAVCOM to command such assets, then he has zero authority over John. Let me put it this way unless given the authority by NAVCOM, no Ship Captian could start ording SEALS around, let alone the command Master Chief of the SEALS. They would be deployed and ordered by Operation Command. The Captain would be nothing more than a Cab driver to them. Take us here.

As for protocol, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (Johns official Rank). Billet Protcol dictates he is to be treated as a Vice Admiral. While this does not mean John runs around commanding fleets, it does mean if he makes a request or recomendation you had better listen because NAVCOM will bust your *** if you don't. Any person in the navy knows this. Just to achieve this rank is the highest honor an enlisted can recieve from the navy. It's a huge deal, and to treat the MCPON with such disreguard, and to threaten to arrest him is nothing more than a Captain asking to be relieved. He is not under Del Rio's command structure. The Chief works for NAVCOM as a direct spec ops asset and holds the single highest enlisted rank in the navy placing him under Hoods command. Literally CHain of command goes like this in terms of giving chief orders, Commander Navel operations, Senior officer NAVCOM if Hood is unavailable, Chiefs discretion under Hoods standing orders for him. That's it.

I already said you were right. Lol. What's up with the novel?

A few more things-

1. I don't think Del Rio was a coward. He should be commended for the successful rescue mission. It was dangerous to follow the distress signal but Del Rio went for it. Big risk, big reward. He gambled his entire ship and he didn't even know if Master Chief was alive. It could have been a trap, and it actually was a trap, but the Infinity pulled through. Chief and Cortana may have been stranded without the arrival of the Infinity. Also, how many people in the Halo universe can say they ordered the Chief to be arrested, face to face with the Chief in full armor, and lived to tell the story? That took some nerve.

2. I think Del Rio's plan to withdraw back to Earth had its merits. It was a smart play. Live to fight another day. Knowing your enemy is half the battle and they didn't have a clue what they were up against. Didact scanned the Infinity so presumably he had the better intelligence. Also, the Covenant fleet alone was a pretty good reason to retreat. They were outnumbered even without the Didact's unknown capabilities adding an X factor to the equation.

There was no clear right or wrong answer. I think Captain Picard would have retreated and Captain Kirk would have attacked. Both styles of leadership are perfectly valid. Actually, Picard would have attempted to negotiate first but the Didact was decidely hostile and the humans had no bargaining chips. Maybe substitute Spock instead of Picard. Go see the latest Star Trek movie, there is a similar scenario where Kirk and Spock disagree. Not going to spoil the movie but either comparison is favorable for Del Rio. His decision to retreat does not make him a coward, or an idiot, or a bad leader.

3. In my opinion, Del Rio's only mistake was the way he treated Chief and Cortana. There was no need to be insulting or disrespectful. Again look at Picard. He listens to his crew, he treats them with respect, even when he disagrees he is thankful for the advice. Del Rio was too quick to attack Chief and Cortana and he was wrong to make it personal. He failed to see that Cortana was still an extremely useful asset. It was Cortana who made victory possible.

• Like 1

I already said you were right. Lol. What's up with the novel?

Novels make for good reading and you didn't say I was right enough. Like Super right, like the most right ever. A lot of that post was to clarify the first post which I thought was to vague and sloppy.

None of it matters anyway John is not assigned to the Infinity, so he can only follow his last known Chain of command and standing orders. Last known chain is Lord Hood and NAVCOM, and standing orders are to "defend humanity at all costs."

I guess Del Rio got nailed in the books for what he did, kinda wish that was maid clear in the game or that he was not the first choice for the Infinity which really belongs to Hood. The only reason he was given Command is that it was not currently being used as a war ship and was doing shake down tests. Would have made the whole thing make sense had that been put in the game. Out of his depth, on non com shake down drills, not known as combat commander but good at getting ships in order. Throw that in their and most of it makes sense. But threatening the MCPON that's just insane on any level, although in his case at least I would no why he went full retard. Because he has no idea what to do, he is out of his depth and he panics and does something stupid, well several stupid things.

Del Rio was like you said, a shakedown Captain but also a Yes man and a trade off between Parankowsky and Hood. There is not a modern Ship today that has any similarity to infinity, She's not a carrier, she's a deep space unit. She can operate on her own and is her own refit base, Del Rio should of got clear of Requiem and sent one of her destroyers back to Earth or the nearest base to send a warning and then started Patch up operations as well as deploying units back to Requiem. Infinity though severely damaged can take a knock evidenced by her crash landing and relaunch, which is the biggest joke i've ever seen.

We won't see this captain again in future plots but it was essential to bring a character to the storyline like him, in fact the story has now taken a different tack with a wide range of characters that can be explored.

I would hate to Captain an unwieldly piece of bad design like the Infinity.