Petition to Add Lag Compensation Damper System

Unseenz

Add a Lag Compensation / Damper Setting  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should 343 Add a Lag Compensation Damper/Buff Option System (to ultimately balance competitive online play)

The only time you will lag is when you are playing on a foreign host.

Lag compensation is a terrible idea and MW3 and Black Ops Matchmaking should be enough to prove that.

When you have local host your DMR is fine, when you have foreign host your DMR will often not register.

Dont confuse lag compensation with foreign host.

The only thing this game lacks is a good connection filter which needs to be implemented.

If you get French host, or European host, and you live in another country, the game will lag.

The amount of up/down bandwidth you have really doesn't matter as much as how much latency is on it. You can have a 50Mbit u/d connection with high latency that doesn't work as well for gaming as a DSL connection that is close to a NOC.

Lag compensation is a terrible idea and MW3 and Black Ops Matchmaking should be enough to prove that.

When you have local host your DMR is fine, when you have foreign host your DMR will often not register.

The only thing this game lacks is a good connection filter which needs to be implemented.

If you get French host, or European host, and you live in another country, the game will lag.

Not quite, you are over generalizing. Very often you have teams of friends that don't have great internet that play together but they are geographically very close to each other (I'm talking same city...not country)...being friends and all. When the game is setup it decides who is going to be the best host for the match. Since 4 of 8 in an Infinity slayer match have a good connection to each other its only natural for the game to chose one of them as host even though they have a subpar connection to the rest of the internet.

I agree that a good connection filter would be a good solution. There is a downside to this though, long wait times for a game and lower playlist populations...many people don't want to wait 10 mintues for a game with a decent connection...but it would be nice to give the option to those of us that do.

I think that the mixture of client-side hit detection and lag compensation is an all around good idea...I just think that the window of opportunity that the game allows is too long based on this games fast kill times. In the end the idea behind it is to make the game better for everyone playing..it just needs some tweaking.

• Like 1

I'm an above average player, 1.7 ish K/D with a 1:2 A/K ratio and have a solid DMR/BR.

However I often find myself matched vs people in Japan, UK, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, etc.

And when this happens I usually am on the losing end of every single 1v1 battle I have. All of my shots are on but when they hit they don't register at all. I have decent internet (25 down 4 up) my Upstream isn't the best but it's pretty good. (Side note, when I play with my friend when he's at my house (same connection) when he quits it often switches host, so I know he was host. So I assume I pull host quite often.)

Edit: I have ~15 ms ping with ~1-3 ms jitter. 0% packet loss

I had the same problem in MW3, it was more noticable because when I quit as host it would show he host migration. In Halo 4, there's NO WAY to know if I am host.

I can only assume that that worse my register is, the more likely it is that I am host.

I agree with OP, they need to fix the system or let us adjust it ourselves. I don't think people with less than desirable internet should be "punished" but I feel like I'M being punished for having a good connection.

I'd like to have the search preferences back for Good Connection/Region personally. Or and option to not match with people >50 ms ping or whatever I choose. If it can't find anyone who meets that criteria in that first "phase" of Matchmaking, or however BS Angel described it, I'd rather not get paired with anyone at all. I'd rather wait for a solid game than "Settle" for a crappy one.

Also, I deleted my Crimson DLC because it takes Some priority in the matchmaking process, therefore pulling weight away from Only "Trueskill" and Connection strength.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This could not have been said any better. Im in western us and even have this problem playing people from eastcoast.