Why do people ignore the story outside the games?

Bergs

This has been bothering me since halo2. People wondering how he got back to earth as an example...

How about if you care about the campaign enough just read the books?

I thought the story told in Halo 4 is the best yet and it annoys me to see people bash it due to not reading up on it.

I dont check up on the story outside the games by buying the books. I simply talk to my ship master Xzan 'Jar Tamas and he tells me because he keeps up with everything. The reason I dont buy the books (and I would because I hear they are the bee's knees) is because I actually haven't had time to go buy them because I'm trying to fix my academics.

• Like 1

This has been bothering me since halo2. People wondering how he got back to earth as an example...

I thought the story told in Halo 4 is the best yet and it annoys me to see people bash it due to not reading up on it.

The reason why this is true is because of two things: 1. Lazy-ass people who want a space shooter- ready...GO PLAY DOOM, YOU LOWLIFES! 2. people who cannot afford them, like me. I cannot buy the Forerunner books because I need to earn more money, but I HAVE READ all of the other books, including the HELLJUMPER book.

i like the halo story.. is this about you wanting people to read the books? cause if so i will be reading them soon but im already reading spice and wolf but halo 4 is a little confusing like the human forerunner war i dont get any of it

if i knew what this was about i would say more

To dumb it down...

The flood- originally purposed to be an ETERNAL HARD DRIVE; keeps all info safe and unable to be harmed. Also has a failsafe built in- wants to keep getting information, but cannot do so directly, so it has to communicate/absorb a host. Flood is eventually like a COKE ADDICT on withdrawal, and has nothing to lose. Attacks anything thinking to absorb data/ intelligence. The Gravemind is like the main server, which needs to be programmed before it can be used.

Precursors- the supposed "gods" of the Halo series- created the flood, and all kinds of life (forerunner, human, etc;) all are SUPPOSEDLY dead now.

Humans of old- strong, desperate, and almost forerunner intelligence, humans were fighting two wars at once- against the flood, and against the Forerunners. They basically genetically suicide-bombed the Flood through genetic mutation of their own population; the weakened humans then fight for new lands from the Forerunners because they lost much land to the flood. Forerunners then make them lose all knowledge, so they cannot fight back against the flood. Only one known human of this new era survived- the human Chakas, A.K.A. 343 Guilty Spark.

Forerunners- the ignorant, yet supremely advanced race of the era; attacked humans without prejudice to defend their lands (and conquered easily, I might add), yet could not figure out how to stop the Flood, so they created the suicide food-denial Bomb called a HALO; they were used because forerunners couldn't figure out how humanity stopped the flood, and the Offensive, Defensive, and Mendicant Bias A. I.'s failed. The only group known to use a device like the Composer to create A.I.'s

• Like 2

Read the books, it's a game which part of it's a game confuses you? If I want to read a book I read a book, if I want to play a gaame I play a game. Halo is a game with some loosely based books tied to the series. The level of read for said books falss somewhere between Twilight fan fic, and anything scrawled on the wall in the mens room of a truck stop.

Call me crazy but when I spend my money on a game I expect it to be a complete game and a good game. That's why I pay for it, see how that works? So when fans start saying gosh if you want to understand the campaign, or you want to know what the story is about go read the books based off the original games. No I won't, I want the product I paid for. You would think the campaign story would actually be complete or coherent, I mean it's not like they are hurting for money, they can afford to make a complete story. I didn't see that place on the package the game came in that said please read the books to understand what we wrote.

But even iff I had read the books the story would still be bad. Because allready know the story in the books, and it's ****. I actually like good books. Not sloppy plot hole riddled, ink stained contradictions, written by bad writers trying to ride the coat tails of what was once a great series of games. Sorry but when your story is based off of a video game campaign mode, with most of the characters and the ideas based off the characters, story, plot and ideas of said game. Then the writer is doing nothing but fan fic, and the company is just milking a product.

I am a huge fan of the series but I am not gullible or pathetic enough to by everything Halo just because it says Halo. I understand an item here or there, but people buying an extra 360 just so they can have the Halo Xbox, or people who by poorly written books and claim they are great just to justify there own love. The books can't even get right they had to update them two years ago just to try and mantain canon.

Telling to reaad a book so they understand the game? How about make a game where the story mode actually makes sense so people don't have to read a book to understand the failed writing and script. My god the only people to even review those books were video game reviewers. Please do what you waant with your own time and money but don't tell what to buy or what to read just cause you like it. You liking something does not make it good nor does me disliking something make it bad. But really the Halo books? All like 20 of them that were written in like what 5-6 years? Books that continue to add new content and change content cause they can't maintain their own continuity. Sorry save your peer pressure someone else. Oh and to be clear the insults I wrote about the books are just hardd ribbing. I like to be melodramatic and over the top sometimes, I just find it funny. That and any reason to write a creative insult is to hard for me to pass up. So dan't take the insults on the books to harsh, I am not a fan but I don't care if you enjoy them, I just wouldn't bother with them myself.

@John007 really? Your so obsessed with the series that your going nuts over this topic. Don't make me tell your mommy,she will take away your controller, and you won't be seing your John 117 PJ's and that hand drawn rather riskay poster of Cortana and you over your bed will be taken down. Now do everyone a favor and come back to this little planet I like to call earth.

By the way telling people they need to read the books to understand the story in the game is the same as saying the campaign story is incomplete, because if it can't be understood without the books, then it's not a complete story. So basically you justify the complaints about the story while trying to argue against those same complaints. "The story is good you just have to read the books to understand them." So your saying the story can't be understood without the books. Thank you for your support. II really think both sides still need to drop the topic, as it's to late and nothing will change what has already happened. We are just going to keep debating the topic and nobody is actually a fan of the debate. I am over it, really lets move on. I am going to be ignoring the topic after this week, I can't waste my time pointlessly over this. I would guess most people are in the same boat right.

• Like 1

any of the books that had to do with halo 1, 2, 3, told their own story and had little to do with the games, yea sure they told us how jhonson got off the first halo, or how the chief got back, but those were small stories. we could have gathered this, at the end of the 6th lvl in halo we saw sgt. jhonson in that little group of marines who manage to escape... it wasnt a strech that he also survived halo.

these new books completly negate what was said in halo 3 2 1, (in halo 3, it was sade that we evolved from forerunners and that we were theri children.)

Read the books, it's a game which part of it's a game confuses you? If I want to read a book I read a book, if I want to play a gaame I play a game. Halo is a game with some loosely based books tied to the series. The level of read for said books falss somewhere between Twilight fan fic, and anything scrawled on the wall in the mens room of a truck stop.

Call me crazy but when I spend my money on a game I expect it to be a complete game and a good game. That's why I pay for it, see how that works? So when fans start saying gosh if you want to understand the campaign, or you want to know what the story is about go read the books based off the original games. No I won't, I want the product I paid for. You would think the campaign story would actually be complete or coherent, I mean it's not like they are hurting for money, they can afford to make a complete story. I didn't see that place on the package the game came in that said please read the books to understand what we wrote.

But even iff I had read the books the story would still be bad. Because allready know the story in the books, and it's ****. I actually like good books. Not sloppy plot hole riddled, ink stained contradictions, written by bad writers trying to ride the coat tails of what was once a great series of games. Sorry but when your story is based off of a video game campaign mode, with most of the characters and the ideas based off the characters, story, plot and ideas of said game. Then the writer is doing nothing but fan fic, and the company is just milking a product.

I am a huge fan of the series but I am not gullible or pathetic enough to by everything Halo just because it says Halo. I understand an item here or there, but people buying an extra 360 just so they can have the Halo Xbox, or people who by poorly written books and claim they are great just to justify there own love. The books can't even get right they had to update them two years ago just to try and mantain canon.

Telling to reaad a book so they understand the game? How about make a game where the story mode actually makes sense so people don't have to read a book to understand the failed writing and script. My god the only people to even review those books were video game reviewers. Please do what you waant with your own time and money but don't tell what to buy or what to read just cause you like it. You liking something does not make it good nor does me disliking something make it bad. But really the Halo books? All like 20 of them that were written in like what 5-6 years? Books that continue to add new content and change content cause they can't maintain their own continuity. Sorry save your peer pressure someone else. Oh and to be clear the insults I wrote about the books are just hardd ribbing. I like to be melodramatic and over the top sometimes, I just find it funny. That and any reason to write a creative insult is to hard for me to pass up. So dan't take the insults on the books to harsh, I am not a fan but I don't care if you enjoy them, I just wouldn't bother with them myself.

@John007 really? Your so obsessed with the series that your going nuts over this topic. Don't make me tell your mommy,she will take away your controller, and you won't be seing your John 117 PJ's and that hand drawn rather riskay poster of Cortana and you over your bed will be taken down. Now do everyone a favor and come back to this little planet I like to call earth.

By the way telling people they need to read the books to understand the story in the game is the same as saying the campaign story is incomplete, because if it can't be understood without the books, then it's not a complete story. So basically you justify the complaints about the story while trying to argue against those same complaints. "The story is good you just have to read the books to understand them." So your saying the story can't be understood without the books. Thank you for your support. II really think both sides still need to drop the topic, as it's to late and nothing will change what has already happened. We are just going to keep debating the topic and nobody is actually a fan of the debate. I am over it, really lets move on. I am going to be ignoring the topic after this week, I can't waste my time pointlessly over this. I would guess most people are in the same boat right.

Don't want to read the books and understand the plot to halo. Then play the game again, search for the terminals on each mission and you'll have a better understanding of the story, and guess what, theirs no reading involved. Just pretty cinamatics for your viewing pleasure on halo waypoint.

Your impressively robust post seems to conclude that you are more passionate about this topic than anyone else here, yet you seem to reject that notion on multiple occasions. Very odd.

The campaign is not incomplete and you really don't have to read the books to know the story. The directors of the Halo franchise know that not everyone will read the books. The Halo games tell one story, while the books tell others, but they're all within the same universe. And I guess that's the main point here. Clearly, you feel that there are holes in the Halo 4's campaign story, but that depends on how you look at it. A story can be as long as you want it to be. The focus of Halo 4, as I believe it is intended by 343, is Cortana. By the end, you know everything you need to know about that story. The secondary details of that story are left to the books for those fans who wish to expand their knowledge of the Halo universe, not this particular story. The chapter that is Halo 4 does not consist of a complete history of the Halo universe that explains everything about the Forerunners. Not only would that be impossible, but that would also be unrealistic. History is an elusive thing.

So the verdict is, if someone is telling you to go read a book to fulfill your Halo curiosity needs, it is because you are asking for details that are not entirely necessary for an understanding of the games and Master Chief's legacy. Plus, the Reclaimer series (Halo 4, 5, and 6) is a pre-planned story. There is much storytelling to be done. If I have not convinced you in any way with this post, just think of Halo 4 as one segment of a larger storyline.

• Like 2