precision wepons vs automatic wepons

Caboose The Ace

31 members have voted

1. 1. precision wepons vs automatic wepons

• automatic
    • precision
    • i think they are both as good as each other

MLG is MLG because it is a true test of skill. If you make all guns "balanced" you're doing it wrong. not to mention it's impossible to make everything balanced. The only thing casuals like you want from a "good game" is an advantage against players with actual skill.

lol coming from guys who say DMR should out perform all other guns so they can dominate with it.

fail is fail

like i said, you want to play competitive go play MLG, leave the fun and halo to the rest of us.

I agree with zexi. The problem with your idea of balance is that it isn't balance at all. You have two guns, one that takes skill to use and one that doesn't. Currently, the skilled one is much more powerful to use than the unskilled one. Now, if you changed this and made the DMR equally as *useful* as the AR, which is what is meant by balance (albeit useful in different scenarios, but equally useful in terms of amount and capacity) then you all of a sudden have everyone using the AR. Why would someone bother training the DMR if they get the same proportionate reward out of using the AR? Your logic is so skewed to think you are balancing the game by doing so. All it does is take away incentive from mastering the more skilled gun, because the reward for using each is equally balanced. I agree wholeheartedly with balance in games like COD where every type of gun is roughly equal in skill to use (although I always argued that snipers in COD should be a bit better than all other guns just because they were more difficult to use). I mean, look at COD Black Ops 1. The snipers were atrocious to use in that game and took waaaay more skill than anything else. But there was no incentive to use the sniper because its effective range and "value" of use was equivalent to everything else. This appeared balanced to the developers and people like you, but absolutely no one used the snipers because they could put up the same scores with a lesser weapon.

nothing really to say here, a biased post by someone who wants to dominate with his precision weapon, which if he wants, he can do in MLG formats, stop ruining the fun of halo for your uber competitive garbage.

The more skilled a gun is, the more overpowered it must be. This is what true balance actually is. You're delusional to think game design shouldn't work this way. Otherwise you have no incentive to actually use the more skilled guns because you have to learn a niche that takes more time and yields the same results as the easier gun. It was the same in Starcraft. The Terran race was more difficult to use than Protoss (as far as mechanical skill on the keyboard went), and the design was the Terrans were simply better if both players were complete robots in terms of playing perfectly at all times (which is the equivalent of getting a 5 shot DMR at all times as fast as possible). This actually made SC the most balanced game in the history of competitive games because no Terran actually could reach such robotic levels but could still strive for it while the Protoss would try to throw their mechanics off by putting them out of their comfort zone using obscure strategies. I've been a high level competitive gamer in a multitude of games and I think you are just clueless about your ideas of balance because you have to have incentives to use the more skilled guns other than sheer bragging rights. And no, just having the gun be good at mid range is not a proper reward because a DMR user would perform equally to an AR user that is always at close range. The DMR user would just drop the DMR, get an AR and simply play close ranged and get the same score without needing to put as much effort in to learning the more skilled gun.

pretty much the same, and sorry betting getting a headshot with the DMR is way easier then multitasking with the terrans, no comparison.

And besides all of that, such a system slows the game down to teeth-grinding proportions. All the DMR users would be too scared to push or be aggressive because any corner they turn could have an AR user camping that would beat them. The DMR would have to avoid walls and corners so as to stay in their proper range. The AR user would have to avoid open spaces and stay around walls and corners. So you have the AR users playing base defense because it doesn't expose them to ranged fire and the DMR users avoiding base attacks because they have to move into walled areas. This is how stuff went down in Halo 3 to an extent, except most players would have both guns usually because there were many pick up BRs. But switching between the right weapon for the right range wasn't a tactical decision at all; it was common sense. And it became much more of a chore than a tactic to just keep switching between guns for different ranges.

this is complete fallacy, it would speed up the gameplay. atm any slayer time match devolves into teams camping areas with kill lanes deer hunter style and just calling out and mass DMR shooting. its not fun (and no im not saying that cuz of having a hard tiem of it, i hold my own), and its not fast. if the DMR player is hesitant then he should be getting better positioning and sniping, its a marksman rifle, aka mini sniper, it hsould be effective at close range. the fact that currently a AR user has to do what you describe but you scoff at a DMR user having to do the same (tho opposite) is also ammusing.

you dont care about balance, your game would be precision/DMR only, probably something horrible like SWAT, and youd have one gun that would dominate all others punishing new players for even attempting to play the game.

once again, you want MLG, have at it, fine, but dont ruin the rest of halo multiplayer please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...