Will Halo 3 be removed from Xbox Live once Halo 4 Launches?

Konshens

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks or knows if halo 3 is going to be taken off xbox live once halo 4 comes out? They got rid of halo 2 for reach, does anyone think they will do the same for halo 4? Halo 3 still has a big community of players, I went on last night and over 100,000 players were still on it.

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks or knows if halo 3 is going to be taken off xbox live once halo 4 comes out? They got rid of halo 2 for reach, does anyone think they will do the same for halo 4? Halo 3 still has a big community of players, I went on last night and over 100,000 players were still on it.

No they probably won't shut it down. The reason H2 went offline was because Microsoft shut off xbox live service for all orginal xbox games, and that included H2.

I actually think they will take it down. The reasoning is to keep the gaming community together. They will want to push everyone to the new game. They are not going to keep making the communities smaller and smaller by adding more MM online. They will probably shut H3 down a few months after H4 launches or maybe even before.

Im not saying its what I want at all but from a business standpoint.... I expect H3 to go the way of H2 by Jan of 2013.

Halo 3 servers more than likely will go the way of the H2 ones. Financially, what company would re-invest on dedicated servers to host millions of connections for Live? Halo 2 was not shut down due to the discontinuation of Xbox 1 titles. halo 2 was shut down because Halo 2 had made it's way to PC, and gave the gaming community more control over it's playfield. Not to mention the vast gap in community players with ODST and Halo 3 being played.

Dean PHP is correct in his view of the servers. Wright8509, you have no idea what kind of server setup or equipment 343 has in their server line. Even if you did, how idiotic of a network manager do you think they have, that they would have instances of Halo 3 running on the same server or servers as the reach ones? That kind of thing might be ok for your home hosted 16 max players...but we are talking hundreds of thousands of simultaneous players.

We all have to face facts sometime. Halo 3 is almost five years old now (wow only a week or so!), and as such it has no longer benefited from any kind of product support in the form of DLC or matchmaking fixes, etc.

Microsoft will not want 4 different Halo titles being simultaneously supported on Live. It will divide the player base beyond any fruitful means, and it would give the PC community a chance to enjoy Halo 3 on the PC and host their own servers.

Wheaties, do you know how the service functions at all? Yes, during gameplay the match is carried by what we call a "host". The Halo 3 server itself is tasked with verifying content of all players connecting to it. It then provides the gametype or whatever, then passes the hosting of the match off to a players with the best connection at that time. The server at that point goes into a data collection mode, and processes the kills, medals etc. all the while still monitoring each players connection (ping) so that in case of bad connection it can re-route hosting duties to another player. Handling the actual game connection between all the players, would not only be a waste of server resources, but it also is very minuscule compared to the various API's it has to rely and process player data for. Now granted internet bandwidth has not seen that much of an improvement or breakthrough, but the server equipment they deploy still needs to be maintained and cared for. Who do you think really wants to keep on servicing and updating hardware for a game they no longer make any money with? You really think that $19.99 worth of MS points for the download, or physical copy is gonna keep those servers running? Hardly. Is it really that hard to come to terms with, that eventually one day halo 3 will no longer be supported by Live? Oh no!!!! Burn everything!!!!!! It's a god damn game....relax already. We all know damn well when the H3 servers go bye-bye, you will already be invested in some other game anyway. Move on!

• Like 1

Just because H3 and Reach are on the "same servers" dose not mean they cant take H3 down.

They will discontinue it because they know 98% of that community will then move to the new game. Why would they keep H3 alive when they are making a whopping $0 on it?

343 dose not care about H3. They will be focused on building the H4 community not keeping the few thousand gamers on H3 happy.

I am not saying this because I don't like H3. I am saying this because I know how businesses work and make money. Also I know my IT department can shut down my computer or stop running a certain program system wide with out having to turn the whole thing off.

Just because H3 and Reach are on the "same servers" dose not mean they cant take H3 down.

They will discontinue it because they know 98% of that community will then move to the new game. Why would they keep H3 alive when they are making a whopping $0 on it?

343 dose not care about H3. They will be focused on building the H4 community not keeping the few thousand gamers on H3 happy.

I am not saying this because I don't like H3. I am saying this because I know how businesses work and make money. Also I know my IT department can shut down my computer or stop running a certain program system wide with out having to turn the whole thing off.

I agree.

It might be... after 3-7 years of Halo 4 being out... but not any time soon I'd say.