do you like the game? or hate it?

Dominator

as far as selecting certain units out of a group that easy, one of the bumpers the right trigger! bumper selects all units or units on your screen the trigger allows you to scroll through the selected units and use just the ones you want. easy and quick!

I am talking about targeting individual units, not a group of like units within a previously selected group of various units. If I want a particular hog that is damaged to move to a more protected area I have to fight with the selection system in order for that to happen. By the time that is successful I have already lost the unit. It is clumsy and slow to me. Sure I can select all units on the screen. I can do that on my PC to. However I dont have to fight a selection system in order to get an individual unit to do what I want it to do. There is no individual control.

spartans being there dose make sence! did you look at the time line? the game is in 2531 reach is not until 2552 so at the point of halo wars there were lots of spartans doing lots of different missions!

1: Spartans didnt have shield technology until 2552.

2: The Spartans that were on the SoF at the end were reported to be at Reach when it fell... which now is impossible as the SoF has no FTL ability which means the SoF would be no where near Reach by the time it fell. It probably wouldnt have even been close to human space at that point.

being forced to use certain spots for bases balances the game and forces you to use more stratigy! it took me a while to realize this having previously play games like warcraft and command and conqure where you can have any number of bases at any place on the map. using this system makes you need to learn how deploy your troops intelegently knowing when to defend and when to attack. if you could build a base anywhere the games would drag on forever trying to hunt them all down. this force you to have over all map control not just that 1 tiny choke point.

So where is the map control with structures? That is the point I am making. You cant control the map by stratigicly placing your structures. Everything is preset. Also as there are a set number of slots for somebody to make structures on their base pad you can basicly predict what they are going to have at their bases. More over your limited in base defensive structures. It is far far too limited for an RTS. You cant tactically force people into choke points, nor hide your structures from view while producing your hordes of minions. Your supply is so limited as well. Unless you have outside influences you are limited on what you can put on your base in the first place in order to make it function. If you choose to have all your unit production buildings out then you can have at most 2 supply pads working for you. That is ignoring the abilities upgrade structure for the UNSC. Not a productive base.

Also for the Covenant you give up your shields in order to have more supply. Not a wise move as you can easily be wiped out due to the lack of defenses.

Sure its tactical in deciding what you have on your base however because its all contained a few powers and or units can destroy everything in seconds in the first place. Whats the point if everything can be wiped out that quickly because its all in one spot?

but as for playing for a commuity palydate, thanks for being a good sport!

Only because of the people on here. If it were with random people I wouldnt touch it.

at first to new players this game dose not seem to be as good as pc rts games but with a litte knowledge and experience it becomes a much better game because it has such great balance too it. it really dose requier much more stratigy than warcraft,starcraft,command and conqure or any other rts that was put out before or around the same time as this game!

Ummm no. Or did you forget that Starcraft is a countries national game? They have/had 2 dedicated TV channels to it. C&C is far more indepth on the PC than Halo Wars ever could be with its current controls. Its missions are infinately more complex with multiple objectives. Warcraft as well.

This as an RTS is not a good one, to me of course. On the 360 its the best RTS out there, no question. But its competition is, to be frank, pathetic in terms of quality.

• Like 1

im not going to quote any more to save space. so to vaulting frog first of all where did you read that spartans did not have sheilds until 2552, im not arguing i would just like to know. thanks

second as far as healing one unit, why don't you just place the heal over the group. more than likly if one is hurt multipal are hurt. and thats a lot of effort for one hog.

as far as the bases you have good points. but if you think about it 1 cobra could be equal to a gaurd tower in warcraft. personly i like both systems.1 being able to build whereever 2. being forced to use certain locations. they are just different i don't think one is nessicarily better than the other.

as far the other game being a countrys game of choise, that game starcraft, is the newst versioin. that was not ture of the first two. the two that were out before this game. and yes in general pc rts are better just because you have more buttons, which means more commands. but for other rts out at the same time this game really did give them a run for their money, as far as tactics go! maybe not monitarily

thanks for the debate. i am quite enjoying disscussing this game with you. thanks for not turning it in to an argument!

also frog i like that your name has a heart in it. just thought i would through that out there. it adds a bit more character to the tag.

im not going to quote any more to save space. so to vaulting frog first of all where did you read that spartans did not have sheilds until 2552, im not arguing i would just like to know. thanks

Read the book Fall of Reach. Spartan 117 (AKA John AKA Master Chief) tests out the first set of Mark IV armor which contains a shield unit in 2552. No other MJOLNIR armor system had shields until that time and even then they were in the test phase at that point. Only until the Pillar of Autumn launched on its top secret mission did the other Spartans gain the shields to their armor as everybody was recalled and upgraded.

second as far as healing one unit, why don't you just place the heal over the group. more than likly if one is hurt multipal are hurt. and thats a lot of effort for one hog.

1: It doesnt apply to just wounded units. If I want one individual unit to so do something rather than an whole group I have to fight with the selection system in order to make it happen. That takes time, which you shouldnt waste in RTS games.

2: Why would I pay credits to heal an individual unit like that? Waste of money and resources. Better to get units out of the line of fire so healty units can get in the fray and do some damage. Then spend the time healing after the fight.

as far as the bases you have good points. but if you think about it 1 cobra could be equal to a gaurd tower in warcraft. personly i like both systems.1 being able to build whereever 2. being forced to use certain locations. they are just different i don't think one is nessicarily better than the other.

A Cobra is no where near a guard tower or other defensive structure from any other RTS out there. Its rate of fire is quite lacking, its tracking is slow (meaning if it is flanked its doomed) and it has poor health. I would have do dedicate a Cyclops to each on in order to keep it running. Thats multiple unit slots I am dedicating for a stationary defense that can crumble in seconds. Unit slots that are better put into units that go out and attack things. Again a waste of resources.

With a free build system you are still limited to terrain types that are approprate for structures. Some cant be placed too close together. Others have to be places certain distances from resources. All of this can limit your choices some what however you are able to find open ground somewhere on the map in order to build them. That depends on the player being able to find said locations, which is of course why they have an army to go explore and kick some booty.

The fixed structure areas mean your bases will be in predictable spots all the time. Your opponent doesnt have to go looking for you what so ever. They already know where you are. They already know the limits of your base. Thus there is no element of suprise when they come across it. Your defenses are easily predicted as well. If your the UNSC your stuck with just 4 turrets. If your the Covenant you can put up shields (at the cost of another structure) and 4 turrets. Thats it. That is all you get for your defenses unless you decide to leave units around (which is a waste of their time). In other words it is boring. No customization, no suprises for enemies, no nothing.

as far the other game being a countrys game of choise, that game starcraft, is the newst versioin. that was not ture of the first two. the two that were out before this game. and yes in general pc rts are better just because you have more buttons, which means more commands. but for other rts out at the same time this game really did give them a run for their money, as far as tactics go! maybe not monitarily

Apparently you didnt realize that Starcraft and Starcraft Brood Wars was the national game of South Korea. Starcraft II which came out in recent years is being adopted but slowly as that game and units are being spread over 3 seperate installments. Professional teams would make huge money in those leagues.

As for it giving RTS games everywhere a "run for their money" I dont think so. The only one I would even think of comparing it to is C&C 4 which was not a great game in itself. Many really really didnt like it. However its mechanics were solid after a bit of playing, just the requirements for MP were stupid and respawing in an RTS is just.... weird. That being said Halo Wars doesnt even stack up against the "arguably" worst RTS in the C&C franchise. Its controls are sluggish and unresponsive and its tactical choices are severely lacking. When you do make a tactical choice in Halo Wars you end up loosing more than you gain in most cases. Not cool.

thanks for the debate. i am quite enjoying disscussing this game with you. thanks for not turning it in to an argument!

This really is the last I will post on this. I dont need to go any further into my opinion really. Otherwise it will just tick people off.

also frog i like that your name has a heart in it. just thought i would through that out there. it adds a bit more character to the tag.

Ok then...

Now it did throw a lot of people by surprise when Halo Wars came out. A lot of people thought it would be a full out combat game but it wasn't but for some other people they liked it because it was a bit of a change. Personally I think Halo Wars is a pretty cool game typically speaking it is not like any other Halo game.

RTS games for the win! I love this game so much and desperately hope for a second one.

RTS games for the win! I love this game so much and desperately hope for a second one.

Personally, I loved the Halo wars game. Granted though I liked the first preview of it at E3. So I was rather disappointed at the final finish of it. Just made the game look more colorful and such. Took away from how the game originally was suppose to look and feel. Especially with having big bulky bases. The E3 preview had a fairly detailed layout for a base and such. But all-in-all I liked the game.

• 2 weeks later...