Quantumizer

Hey there everyone, first and foremost I'd just like to say THANK YOU 343industries, for (clearly) spending alot of time, resources and talent on making Halo 4 such a wonderful game. This is the first time I've used these forums but I am a long time Halo fan, I've been playing Halo since Halo: CE came out in 2001, when I was 10years old. I'm a bit of a fanboy but was pretty dissapointed in Halo Reach and I am utterly thrilled to see the direction that 343i and Halo 4 is and should be taking. And I really hope you guys get a lot of awards and praise from old fans and new, you guys deserve it.

Because the game is so polished I don't really have any complaints, but here are a few suggestions I'd like to see implemented into Halo 4 and/or Halo 5. (I hope you guys check your forums like Bungie did).

*Story length: I found the campaign to be a bit on the short side, I'm not too dissapointed because the story was exellent and very well paced and I know Spartan Ops continues the story somewhat. But I hope you guys make Halo 5 a little longer.

*Emblems: There is not enough.

*Spike Grenades: If/when Brutes make a return in Halo 5 or 6, please bring Spike Grenades back, they're unique and you can setup traps around corners with them.

*Meta Game and Leaderboards for it: It would add alot of replayability if you guys added the ability to turn on the Meta Game in Spartan Ops and Campaign and maybe you could implement a friends leaderboards along with it.

*Ranking System: I feel that currently, there is no ranking system, because it is only based on how much EXP you have, this is also not unique, as pretty much every modern shooter has this style. You guys should implement a secondary ranking system like Halo 3's 1 - 50.

*Skulls: I was dissapointed to see that all of the Skulls are unlocked by default, it's much more fun if you have to unlock them and find them in the campaign first.

*Please add clan support.

*Please add theatre for Campaign and Spartan Ops.

*Hunters should be twice the size and much more powerful, once you kill the first one and break the spirit bond the other should fly into an overwhelming rage.

*Pre-order bonuses/Collector's edition: I don't like when companies have pre-order bonuses because it just means everyone misses out on something. Please don't do pre-order bonuses again, or atleast include all of them in the Collector's Edition.

*Legendary Edition: I was dissapointed you guys didn't have one, please make one for Halo 5 and if you do you shouldn't just throw in a statue, do something like a suicidal grunt holding a bomb which is an alarm clock.

Cheers.

I've been playing for about an hour or so now and the game is mostly good. Two things have annoyed me so far though. I don't like the "crunchy" ness of the new sound of the warthog (some may like it, but I don't see how) to the point that I got out and ran instead of using them when they are available and the second thing is that look inversion does not carry over to the banshee, so I'll skip using that vehicle unless required as well.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but I would like to give my input. Team killing in Spartan Ops is just silly. I am aware normal friendly fire is off. Yet, here is an example of a personal experience of mine where friendly fire being off did little to no good to stop team killing.

I played a match on Ragnarok earlier, and the map was littered with Mantis' to fight off the constant air attacks in the mission. A team mate decided first to get in a ghost and continually run us over(team kill) until we began looking out for him, which led to us dying more by the actual enemies. When Mantis became available, he hopped in one and spend the rest of the match destroying any other Mantis' that spawned, stomping on us, shooting us, and destroying any vehicle we dared enter, which made the match nigh on impossible at times.

Why were we never given the option to boot him? Why is the match structure even set up in a way that what he did was possible? This is one case out of many. I'm sure others have had problems similar to this. I'm also sure there will be just as many people who will seek an argument and tell me why everything I said is wrong, or how the way you have it set up is exactly how it should be and that I need to get over myself. However, this is my feedback and my opinion. My suggestion is for you to make teammates who team kill, in any form, boot-able. Or all out remove team damage/friendly vehicle damage. I can tell you I would greatly appreciate it.

-Your humble gamer and fan

• 1 month later...

I’ve been playing halo since Halo: CE came out and I’ve always been a big fan. I have started to dislike the game and I think I might have figured out why and how to fix it. I think the playlists should be divided into social AND ranked matches. For example, a social swat playlist, AND a ranked swat playlist. The reason for this being that the social playlists would be for players who don’t really care about winning, they are just there to play the game that they love with friends or whatever, and ranked could be for more “hardcore” players that are trying hard to win and play with and against the same type of player. I enjoy playing both ways, but it’s annoying when other players around you aren’t on the same page as you. The way Halo 3’s playlist were set up was good, but I think it would have been better with all the same playlists, but the option to either play hard or to just mess around for fun.

Also, I have to say the background music is the most annoying thing I’ve ever had to deal with. Every time I’m sitting in the lobby, I have to mute my TV to stop the music. There should really be an option to turn that off. It’s terrible.

And what’s with the one person theatre thing? We used to use the theatre so much in Halo 3 when we could bring in our whole party. Now it’s just too much of a hassle to either save the film, and save it for later, or tell your friends to wait for you while you go make it, then they all have to split up when they wanna watch it.

And the whole searching for matches thing is terrible now. People popping in and out of games, some people stay till the vote ends and then back out, and you still have to play the game cuz you voted on the map that everyone else just backed out on. There should be some locking point on the players in a pre-game lobby. Plus this isn’t call of duty, the whole joining into games thing doesn’t work as well. You kind of need more than 8 players in a game to play that way. Halo used to be a lot more fun when it wasn’t trying to be like call of duty. Actually, Halo used to be more fun when it was just Halo 3. Before reach came out. Don’t even get me started on the sprinting and jet packs and promethean vision and all that stuff. That’s why the playlists need to be separate. I HATE running around with a BR and I only get shot by needlers and boltshots. Leave that stuff to social. Ranked should just be weapons like the BR, DMR, Sniper rifle, pistol… leave all the fun weapons to the people who are just playin for fun. I want a playlist I can go into where everyone is all just trying to win and play as a team. And I also want a playlist that I can go into to have fun, and not have my teammates yelling at me to stop goofing off. There are two kinds of players in this game, and there should be 2 different playlist to supports those types of players. It’s a valid suggestion that would make everyone happy. I hope you consider at least this one. To be honest, if the game doesn’t change for the better, I’ll probably be done with it for good. I don’t want to hate this game, but it’s not really giving me any reason to love it like I used to. Please change back to more like halo 3 and less like COD.

I’ve been playing halo since Halo: CE came out and I’ve always been a big fan. I have started to dislike the game and I think I might have figured out why and how to fix it. I think the playlists should be divided into social AND ranked matches. For example, a social swat playlist, AND a ranked swat playlist. The reason for this being that the social playlists would be for players who don’t really care about winning, they are just there to play the game that they love with friends or whatever, and ranked could be for more “hardcore” players that are trying hard to win and play with and against the same type of player. I enjoy playing both ways, but it’s annoying when other players around you aren’t on the same page as you. The way Halo 3’s playlist were set up was good, but I think it would have been better with all the same playlists, but the option to either play hard or to just mess around for fun.

Also, I have to say the background music is the most annoying thing I’ve ever had to deal with. Every time I’m sitting in the lobby, I have to mute my TV to stop the music. There should really be an option to turn that off. It’s terrible.

And what’s with the one person theatre thing? We used to use the theatre so much in Halo 3 when we could bring in our whole party. Now it’s just too much of a hassle to either save the film, and save it for later, or tell your friends to wait for you while you go make it, then they all have to split up when they wanna watch it.

And the whole searching for matches thing is terrible now. People popping in and out of games, some people stay till the vote ends and then back out, and you still have to play the game cuz you voted on the map that everyone else just backed out on. There should be some locking point on the players in a pre-game lobby. Plus this isn’t call of duty, the whole joining into games thing doesn’t work as well. You kind of need more than 8 players in a game to play that way. Halo used to be a lot more fun when it wasn’t trying to be like call of duty. Actually, Halo used to be more fun when it was just Halo 3. Before reach came out. Don’t even get me started on the sprinting and jet packs and promethean vision and all that stuff. That’s why the playlists need to be separate. I HATE running around with a BR and I only get shot by needlers and boltshots. Leave that stuff to social. Ranked should just be weapons like the BR, DMR, Sniper rifle, pistol… leave all the fun weapons to the people who are just playin for fun. I want a playlist I can go into where everyone is all just trying to win and play as a team. And I also want a playlist that I can go into to have fun, and not have my teammates yelling at me to stop goofing off. There are two kinds of players in this game, and there should be 2 different playlist to supports those types of players. It’s a valid suggestion that would make everyone happy. I hope you consider at least this one. To be honest, if the game doesn’t change for the better, I’ll probably be done with it for good. I don’t want to hate this game, but it’s not really giving me any reason to love it like I used to. Please change back to more like halo 3 and less like COD.

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but I would like to give my input. Team killing in Spartan Ops is just silly. I am aware normal friendly fire is off. Yet, here is an example of a personal experience of mine where friendly fire being off did little to no good to stop team killing.

I played a match on Ragnarok earlier, and the map was littered with Mantis' to fight off the constant air attacks in the mission. A team mate decided first to get in a ghost and continually run us over(team kill) until we began looking out for him, which led to us dying more by the actual enemies. When Mantis became available, he hopped in one and spend the rest of the match destroying any other Mantis' that spawned, stomping on us, shooting us, and destroying any vehicle we dared enter, which made the match nigh on impossible at times.

Why were we never given the option to boot him? Why is the match structure even set up in a way that what he did was possible? This is one case out of many. I'm sure others have had problems similar to this. I'm also sure there will be just as many people who will seek an argument and tell me why everything I said is wrong, or how the way you have it set up is exactly how it should be and that I need to get over myself. However, this is my feedback and my opinion. My suggestion is for you to make teammates who team kill, in any form, boot-able. Or all out remove team damage/friendly vehicle damage. I can tell you I would greatly appreciate it.

Yes, team booting should be turned on which it seems it isn't. Also, with your social and ranked playlist suggestion that you guys made, I would like like a social and ranked loadout with the ranked load-out restricted to what weapons are allowed in the ranked playlist. Ranked loud-outs should ban boltshots/ all aa abilities except thruster, jetpack, hardlight shield, and regeneration field/ and special upgrades and tactical packages/ possibly automatic weapons removed.

• 4 months later...

My pertinent background:

• Born in the late 80's, as I grew and matured games increased in accessibility and complexity
  • Played and LOVED the original Halo and was absolutely legendary among my peers
  • Now that I'm in my mid-20s I have a healthy disposable income and look for ways to spend it on good games

Feedback on Halo 4:

First off, I acknowledge making a video game is a tremendous ordeal and is a great accomplishment in itself. Contriving an interesting and interactive story is a monumental feat.  That said, the campaigns in the Halo franchise had been progressively deteriorating until Halo 4, which was only a slight improvement over feces.  Halo 4 campaign is extremely linear and lame.  The multiplayer is exciting and smooth, however there are horrendous hosting issues, problems with team balance, and no way of dealing with mischievous gamers disinterested in playing the objectives.

New Halo coming to XBox One!?:

The trailer made me laugh - it provoked a strong physical response and gave me the motivation to sign up on your site to give you my (likely unheard) feedback, so good job there.  It looks ridiculous and lacks any good sense of story. My hopes aren't high for the game AND, most importantly for Microsoft, the trailer doesn't entice me to spend money on XBox One.  

Final statement:

I get the sense that 343 doesn't care about creating a novel, sublime, and personal experience.  Like the previous Halo iterations, I feel 343 is only concerned with exploiting my fondness for the Halo universe.  I don't care if that's all 343 cares about, except that I don't want to spend more money on feces (or one step up)!  So long as the Halo series continues to stumble into absurdity I will not be casting my capitalist vote on 343's incarnations of Halo.  I hope that changes, because the Halo universe is a wonderful and exciting place to be. One that I would happily pay again and again to visit in fresh and faithful interpretations.

I agree with you there, I mean that sounds like it must of been awful. People like that need to go play Call Of Duty where that kind of behavior is tolerable...

• 4 weeks later...

Dear 343 Industries,

I have been a huge fan of halo since combat evolved was first released in 2001, i grew up with halo it is as much apart of me as the rest of the die hard halo fans out in the world. I applaud you for stepping up to the task in continuing the journey of our hero Master Chief it is no easy task and the bar was set pretty high for halo 4 and i could on speculate how intimidating it was to be given the opportunity to create this game. There are however quite a few things that sadden me about this game. 

The story was well told but i feel like it failed to captivate the players imagination and feelings the way that halo 1 through 3 did, yes the story arch of cortana becoming corrupted was a great move with the character but i felt that the didact portion of the story is the part that failed. I didnt feel that the didact was evil let alone threatening enough to the master chief. What made the original halo storyline so great was that it was not one person alone that sought for the destruction of the human race but a number of different alien species bent on a holy crusade. I feel that if the forerunners returned it should have been their whole race not two of them. The prometheans weren't nearly as fun to fight as the covenant were. They were actually really annoying to fight against. they had no personality, no purpose. and i feel that playing off master chiefs superhuman strength was a bit to far and made he seem less of a actual human, another thing is that master chiefs face should have never been revealed, with that reveal the player stopped being master chief and the great magical bond was broken, his face was something only the true fans could read about and imagine themselves it was a thing of mystery and legend something that should have stayed that way. I also believe the only way to successfully end the halo series is to give Master Chief a death only fit for a legend, a Spartan. Going down in a hail of gunfire doing what he was born to do. Saving the Human Race.

The multiplayer was a utter failure. The multiplayer to me ceased to be halo as everything that made the halo multiplayer great was thrown out. Halo feels less like halo and more of a COD style game. The mechs are severely overpowered and should have been left out of the multiplayer all together. The audio seems off while playing multiplayer, the grav lifts are too loud and make inaudible sounds that interfere with gameplay. I don't believe master chief should have to sprint because he's  superhuman and i believe he is fast enough without it. please return to what halo 2 and 3 were, bring back the ranking, clans, and the halo that we all knew and loved. 

I've been playing for about an hour or so now and the game is mostly good. Two things have annoyed me so far though. I don't like the "crunchy" ness of the new sound of the warthog (some may like it, but I don't see how) to the point that I got out and ran instead of using them when they are available and the second thing is that look inversion does not carry over to the banshee, so I'll skip using that vehicle unless required as well.

I had this problem orginally but there is a seperate flight inversion option in the controls menu