Halo 4 Competitive Skill Rank Announcement

343iBot

Halo 4 Competitive Skill Rank Announcement

We are pleased to announce, just days away from the worldwide Halo 4 launch and the first MLG Halo 4 tournament in Dallas, the Competitive Skill Rank system in Halo 4. The CSR will appear post-launch in an update to Halo Waypoint and associated Smartglass applications.

When will it launch?
The short version is CSR will launch early next year when it’s ready. We have an extensive post-launch plan for Halo 4, including DLC, playlist updates, and title updates. As soon as we have a confirmed launch date for the Waypoint update that includes CSR, we’ll make an announcement. Set your expectations for release timing appropriately since this will require delicate tuning, testing and implementation for Waypoint Web, Waypoint Console and Smartglass integration and is a feature designed specifically for the competitive community.

What is it?
At Halo 4’s launch, the competitive skill system will measure your performance against other players in Halo 4 War Games and use this information to match you up against opponents of comparable skill ranks. When the CSR system is fully implemented post-launch, Waypoint will assign each player a visible and detailed Skill Rank, viewable in the player profile section of Halo Waypoint.

How will it rank me?
All players will be ranked on a per-hopper basis, so, for example, you will have a unique CSR for your Slayer Pro games vs. your CTF games. CSR is currently planned to use a familiar and easy to understand 1-50 scale (subject to change or alteration). Your CSR will go up and down based on match outcomes.

Which playlists will support CSR?
All competitive playlists will support and track CSR. As the playlists will continuously change post-launch, the exact list of playlists that will support CSR will be determined when the system is ready to drop.

Will a CSR be ‘assigned to me’ once the system launches? Or do I need to start fresh?
Matchmaking and hoppers will be tracking and analyzing data from Day 1, and when the final settings for CSR are in place, we’ll make the call on whether to use existing data as a baseline for your CSR, or to start everyone fresh in new playlists.

Why the delay?
We know how important skill rank is, and we take skill integrity very seriously – we want to make sure we’ve taken the time to test, tune, and balance the CSR system in a live environment, and identify problems and potential exploits before launching the system publically.

Taking the time to test and tune the system ensures we can deliver a very accurate and meaningful skill rank, and gives our competitive playlists time to mature to for optimize a wide range of playlist and game settings.

Enjoy the launch!
We’re incredibly excited for Halo 4 to launch, and to see you at one of our worldwide events, or online November 6th. We see this announcement as just one of many new experiences and features coming post-launch to Halo 4 and are excited to share more with you in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The skill rank really needs to be displayed in-game. The skill system should let players be proud of their rank and give everyone something to work for. A private rank will take away from the competitive spirit of the game. I also feel that the playlists that use the CSR should be in a separate list than those that don't. Ranked and social playlists shouldn't be generalized in the same category. If Halo 4 doesn't have a competitive feel like Halo 3 did it will lose a lot of competitive players just like Reach.

• Like 4

@mr.malo "long distance assault rifle, lame..."

Obviously, you've never actually fired an assault rifle. You don't like "new" Halo? Fine, go away. You're overly obbsessive critisizms are offensively short sighted, and if you found that much "wrong" with the game, you shouldn't be playing it. New company, new game. Change is part of life, you would know that if you went outside once in awhile.

Posted by a man who has been playing Halo from day 1.

This is also posted by a man who has been playing Halo from day 1 and I have to say...your argument for what needs to be "fixed" is barely even coherent. Most of your complaints begin or end with "Fix it". Wow, genius, what an insightful suggestion to solve the so-called problem.

A.) It won't take a year for a ranking system, more likely that it will be 2 months. 2. Do you know it took OVER 5 months for Halo 3 to release their first Title Update? 343 plans to roll out the ranking system in LESS THAN HALF THAT TIME.

B.) How is any of this relevant to greed? Like it or not, what console FPS isn't charging for more maps today? How does updating a game or adding maps amount to greed? Employees don't work for free.

C.) "Might not make it due to similarity to Reach. Fix it". - Wow, I don't even know where to begin....

Look, I'm not some Halo fanboy who thinks the series is flawless. Every game has it's problems and some certainly more than others...but your argument is so unstructured and lacking in substance that it's a wonder you can even determine what's good and bad about the game. This is especially surprising if you really have been playing Halo for the past 11 years. I would have expected something a little more constructive. But no, just tell 343i to push the magical "fix it" button and make it all better. It's that simple, right?

This would really be a nice welcome change to the multiplayer.I love it but I feel like Halo 2 and 3's ranking system made me come back to the game over and over to gain pleasure from a simple number beside my gamertag.

For that guy above who thinks that the entire game should be fixed I've played Halo since 2002 and though I think some things are kinda bs sometimes I realise ,having played Halo for years, that deaths that aren't your own fault are not a part of Halo multiplayer.

Your sick of AR guys then hang back ,dont rush in.Simple fix.

Halo 4 is nothing like Reach,it's so much better in a ll aspects.

343 are doing a great job,it feels like a halo game,looks like a halo game and the support they're willing to give makes it a Halo game.Bungie should be proud.

Funny that this website banns you for telling the truth. Couple more problems;

-Light rifle, way to powerful. Come on... seriously.

-Jetpacks...seriously, reach killed the halo series, don't you guys get that.

-Saw team snipes, thats is good, so you guys are making progress.

-The game isnt bad, its pretty fun, but you should put Jetpacks if you want to keep that garbage, under ordinance, same with shield, and invis, and a couple other perks.

- Ive noticed on replay videos that most of the shooters are terribly off. why is this?

-Still upset that you released mappacks on the day 1.

Im not try to put 343 down, im just saying for the best series ever made, give or take, this game should be flawles.

One last thing then i will leave you alone, and dont ban me again. Ive noticed on the slightly bigger maps, complex ect, theres lag. I also noticed if your playing split screen online theres a lot more lag. I use direct link too. Thank you for changing the waiting music well everyone loads for a game.

Hey jackal, your a ******. I wasnt making an argument idiot, I was telling exactly what was wrong. ******, There was no argument, it is simply how it is. Your the only one arguing retard. Trust me, these employees are getting paid fine. Greed is about charging more money for maps on the first day, *******. You obviously must have loved reach, along with alot of pathetic players that played game. My statement needs no more substance than directly pointing out the problems. Im not here to make appropiate structured arguments, i am here because i am a gamer, and this game should be flawless period. And as i havd played this game from the beginng, I have a lot of input on the subject, probably more than the people who worked on this game. Consumer satisfaction *******. Make the consumer happy, and you will make more money.

Dude take a chill pill.

I kinda enjoy, not having one( Yeah I'm a loser) Not saying one is a bad thing it definitely needs one in a way, but I hate to sound unappreciative of all my free kills as of late in the Halo 4 multi player.

This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

-Good my opponents or teammates wont blow

-Bad not as many killing frenzys.

Ridiculous. This should have been prepared for release date. This was a major complaint regarding Reach for its entire duration. They have had 3 years nearly to get this set and now it's going to be longer still? Pathetic.

My main question now is this, are there going to be 2 lists social and ranked, or will it just be one list again with their pathetic little "hidden skill system" built in?

• Like 1