Halo 4 Progression System

Slenderman

Agreed. I just wish 343 would go ahead and give a clear, cut and dry answer because that's one of the biggest issues, if not the biggest issue for Halo 4 matchmaking. Surely they know this.

They know this...but they know if they tell people, some may not buy it, so if the leave speculation, than people will buy it to see. Even if they buy and dont like it and return it, they still bought it and all M$ cares about is making money

They know this...but they know if they tell people, some may not buy it, so if the leave speculation, than people will buy it to see. Even if they buy and dont like it and return it, they still bought it and all M$ cares about is making money

That's true but they've already came out with almost everything else so why stop there lol? If what you said is their primary motive, then they really do know the high priority people place on a ranking system.

That's true but they've already came out with almost everything else so why stop there lol? If what you said is their primary motive, then they really do know the high priority people place on a ranking system.

Haha pretty much...we will just have to wait and see...either way, I am going to play Halo 4 and have as much fun as I can

if this game doesnt have a skill level based ranking system like halo 2 and halo 3 the population will die out in 6 months to a year like it did in reach

This is what I'm afraid of.

I love Halo. Everything about it. What attracts me is the canon/storyline, and what keeps me playing is because I'm a skilled player and I love the multiplayer. I'm only afraid that since there isn't a "ranking" system returning, a lot of the player-base will get bored after they hit level 50 and have everything they need.

merrr.

• Like 1

This is what I'm afraid of.

I love Halo. Everything about it. What attracts me is the canon/storyline, and what keeps me playing is because I'm a skilled player and I love the multiplayer. I'm only afraid that since there isn't a "ranking" system returning, a lot of the player-base will get bored after they hit level 50 and have everything they need.

merrr.

After I hit level 50, I will level through each of the Spec's. Frankie stated each specialization takes as long as SR40-SR50 so that aloone will take some time. Even after I hit 50 in CoD I love playing cuz I have all of the weapons and perks...I will do the same with Halo 4.

I for one do not want another grind like in Reach...Reach was tedious and lame...took forever...

After I hit level 50, I will level through each of the Spec's. Frankie stated each specialization takes as long as SR40-SR50 so that aloone will take some time. Even after I hit 50 in CoD I love playing cuz I have all of the weapons and perks...I will do the same with Halo 4.

I for one do not want another grind like in Reach...Reach was tedious and lame...took forever...

Yeah, I just hit Forerunner a week ago. As for CoD, once I hit the 6th prestige, I got every gold gun and then watched it collect dust on my shelf.

Yeah, I just hit Forerunner a week ago. As for CoD, once I hit the 6th prestige, I got every gold gun and then watched it collect dust on my shelf.

Yeah I usually just got to 50 and used all the guns. Only prestiged when we got the tokens for MW3. I have an Inheritor and now my new account is Eclipse...both took forever and were tedious. A mix of the two systems would be ideal. I just dont want to grind like Reach

Disappointed is an understatement. Crushed is more like it. Im more excited for Black ops 2 zombies than Halo 4, my favorite series of all time, because of how they are being peer pressured by other games to make noob friendly ranking systems. They need to add 1-50 in ranked playlists or this game's multiplayer is going to be just another flop like Reach's multiplayer.

Not going to keep repeating myself here or arguing with you guys, I have been real busy in school and have midterms and such, but I have been posting about this since February and all signs were pointing to this, I just didn't want to believe it. We need to start a petition or something because all the people I play halo with agree with me on this subject matter. I do play with competitive players but isn't competition what drives you everyday? Halo 4 can easily coexist with competitive and casual players, just as it did in Halo 3 and Halo 2 with ranked and social playlists, and we need that back to bring Halo back.

Maybe this is just the direction video games are heading in. Maybe the good old days are just going to be memories, and we will never get the nostalgic feeling of our old favorites brought into new games. I am losing faith in the video game industry.

• Like 1

I do play with competitive players but isn't competition what drives you everyday? Halo 4 can easily coexist with competitive and casual players, just as it did in Halo 3 and Halo 2 with ranked and social playlists, and we need that back to bring Halo back.

Maybe this is just the direction video games are heading in. Maybe the good old days are just going to be memories, and we will never get the nostalgic feeling of our old favorites brought into new games. I am losing faith in the video game industry.

I agree completely.

• Like 1

Disappointed is an understatement. Crushed is more like it. Im more excited for Black ops 2 zombies than Halo 4, my favorite series of all time, because of how they are being peer pressured by other games to make noob friendly ranking systems. They need to add 1-50 in ranked playlists or this game's multiplayer is going to be just another flop like Reach's multiplayer.

Not going to keep repeating myself here or arguing with you guys, I have been real busy in school and have midterms and such, but I have been posting about this since February and all signs were pointing to this, I just didn't want to believe it. We need to start a petition or something because all the people I play halo with agree with me on this subject matter. I do play with competitive players but isn't competition what drives you everyday? Halo 4 can easily coexist with competitive and casual players, just as it did in Halo 3 and Halo 2 with ranked and social playlists, and we need that back to bring Halo back.

Do I agree with you. You felt like you needed to win the game because something would suffer if you did not, which was your rank. Everyone had to perform well as a team instead of individuality. They tried ranks in Reach with Arena, but once again it was about your own performance. I remember people getting so mad when they lost the game because they de-ranked. This brought a competitive edge in the game because you cared if you won or lost unlike in Reach. Also you played against people of similar level and did not pair you against people who were so much better than you to where it just discouraged you from playing. I feel in Reach, I cant really measure my skill at all to see if I have improved or not and this is all due to no Ranking system. Man I miss Halo 2 matchmaking.

No offense, but I think you're taking this ranking system way too seriously... Yes, it IS actually possible to enjoy a game without having to show off your skill all the time. You sound like this is the freaking end of the world, which it isn't. You can still show off your skill and have fun without the old ranking system. I agree with you on one point though, that the video game industry is heading in a bad direction.

• Like 1

I think Zuko has said one thing that made me happy.

This is the Progression system. What if the ranking system is totally different from the Progression system? What if Halo 4 has a whole other system for ranking? Keep the hope guys, your giving up is making me sick.

I think you may be right. I've seen some people talking about the old ranking system making it back to Halo 4, though it's not confirmed.

theres alot of hurted people talking in a hurted manner... it would be more productive to be at peace with whatever comes, while lobbying for what you would prefer, listing the reasons why

1) epic matches

the ranking system made me afraid to lose, I would get my 49 in h3, and every win/loss meant alot to me, it meant alot to almost everyone at that level, so players would bring their best game.

we would see high level tactics, especialy in mlg(just watch one of ninjashyper mlg demonstrations), truely awe inspiring to see how smart people can be when motivated.

we would see players focus so much that the shots they could hit were amazing (snip3down) when motivated

people who never met each other before became blood brothers for the duration of the game at the higher levels, because only when united could they have a chance... when motivated

weapon tricks, players would spend hours figuring out different tricks they could use... i remember the favorite one used on me, I had the shotgun inside the bubblesheild and a player had the sniper outside the bubble sheild, now looking at this situation i had the clear advantage, because my crosshair was larger and I could get a one shot kill by hitting any part of his body at close range, where as he could only get a one shot kill if he hit a head shot, while his cross hair was tiny, we stood there for a breif moment assessing the situation, distance from each other, spartan sheild health, escape routes(there were none), enemy team mate location, equipment available.. and after that millisecond he backed off slightly and started reloading his sniper.... wow! i got him! I stepped out to chase him down with my shotgun, and mid-reload he stuck me with a plasma nade XD... so clever when motivated.

I did alot of tricks to... not just getting owned, like anticipating a enemy with a rocket launcher, getting close enough throw out my bubble sheild and make his rocket explode in his face,

or being isolated against an enemy team and using cover to take down enemys one by one as they tried to rush in and finish me off

one time I played against the real walshy, he was chasing me as my sheilds were low, it was on the pit, my snipe tower, i was at snipe 1, he was at our training, he dropped my sheilds then ran towards me, so i went up snipe ramp and as i got to the top i took some br damage so i knew he was chasing me hard, i dropped down beside the airlift and went into snipe 1 again, but i didnt go any further, i waited in that entry way and calculated how long it would take him to come up snipe ramp and drop down to look for me... missisipi one, missisipi two, missisipi three, now! right then i moved to the fence hugging the walls without lifting up, i turned around and he had jumped and dropped down right in front of me with his back to me looking in to snipe one... assassination.. i just had to teabag, which i apologised for after the game just because i recognised the name, he got his revenge anyway with a four shot lol. and we lost

I played the real neighbor, and won, not a big deal, i know hes a better shot than me, but I cought him out enough times for the win. one time he had the sniper, i noticed on my hud he killed my team mate, and he knew where i was, if he could get back to his position on br 3 blackout, he could get a shot on me at snipe2... i calculated the time it would take for him to get back into position and how long it would take for me to get back to cover... he had enough time for one shot, i couldn't do anything about it, so what i did was, instead of continuing moving to cover, as soon as i saw him pop up and prepare his shot, i moved further out into the open, he took his shot, which would have sniped me if i had kept trying to find cover btw, and then i went back towards cover.

epic matches... this is not the giggles type of fun, not the picnic type of fun, its the satisfaction type of fun

a visual type of ranking system shows other commited players your capabilities, which is respected within that community, and, more importantly, it gives players a motivation to learn the skills that create those oh so satisfying matches for all players, friend and foe alike.

• Like 1

No offense, but I think you're taking this ranking system way too seriously... Yes, it IS actually possible to enjoy a game without having to show off your skill all the time. You sound like this is the freaking end of the world, which it isn't. You can still show off your skill and have fun without the old ranking system. I agree with you on one point though, that the video game industry is heading in a bad direction.

I get where your coming from, but without it nobody cares and you dont get good games. In reach people quit almost every game, and dont communicate at all, because win or lose, your still getting exp. Theres no incentive to win. And now the only incentive to win in halo 4 is again, just more exp. I dont think I am overreacting because it truly is that important to the success of the game.

I think Zuko has said one thing that made me happy.

This is the Progression system. What if the ranking system is totally different from the Progression system? What if Halo 4 has a whole other system for ranking? Keep the hope guys, your giving up is making me sick.

I think both you and Zuko could be right. Yesterday Frankie was asked about the progression system versus the ranking system in Halo 4 at NYCCC and he explained the progression system, but than said he would reveal more about the Ranking system as we approach closer to launch. So I too have a feeling that there will be an overall progression system that levels you up, but that there will also be a ranking system

• Like 2

I think both you and Zuko could be right. Yesterday Frankie was asked about the progression system versus the ranking system in Halo 4 at NYCCC and he explained the progression system, but than said he would reveal more about the Ranking system as we approach closer to launch. So I too have a feeling that there will be an overall progression system that levels you up, but that there will also be a ranking system

If that's true, my hypothesis will be true.

I get where your coming from, but without it nobody cares and you dont get good games. In reach people quit almost every game, and dont communicate at all, because win or lose, your still getting exp. Theres no incentive to win. And now the only incentive to win in halo 4 is again, just more exp. I dont think I am overreacting because it truly is that important to the success of the game.

I agree with you completely man. Halo 4 doesn't need to have another Reach system or otherwise people will, once again, pick up the game, get a few upgrades, and quit. Halo 4 needs that motivational ranking system for long-term success.

I hope you all are correct in regards to the ranking system being separate from the progression system. There might still be a hope for good playlist ranks in Halo 4.

• Like 1

There is a rumor circling around that they are going to tweak the ranking system post launch to accommodate those of you who are complaining about it.

But seriously though, whenever you have a "1 step forward, 1 step back" ranking system (i.e. Halo 3), you are going to get people who derank. Derankers are a problem, because they ruin the game for those who are less experienced. Imagine in your first game of H3 you face a 50 while you are still a 1. You aren't familiar with the controls, you don't know what the equipment does, or that the BR is 4-shot, or where the spawns are and no one on your team does either. But s/he does, and they've deranked just so they can come up against you. Be a pretty crappy game wouldn't it? Your k/d would start off terrible, and if you were stuck in lobbies with other derankers it would stay that way. Even if you managed to get to a 50, people would think you boosted because your k/d would be so bad.

The fact is, deny it all you want, but derankers in Halo 3 were just as common as actual players in it's hayday. For those of you who don't know, a deranker is someone who intentionally loses games so that their truskill drops (because it will always say that you managed to get to a 50) to the point where when they play, they come up against people who are inexperienced and can get FAR more kills. And honestly, when I see people begging for it back that's the only reason I can think of for wanting it back.

There are alternatives to a 1-50 1 step forward 1 step back ranking system however. For instance, a ranking system that awards you with a bit of truskill and some exp when you win, and absolutely nothing if you lose. So, you can only go forward or stay where you are. Eventually you will begin facing people who are as good as you are (and maybe some who are a bit better so that you can have a challenge). That's the way the truskill system SHOULD work. The only downside here is that you will get to a point where everyone is better than you, and you won't be able to advance further.

An alternative is to make it 5 or 10 losses = truskill point loss, and no exp for losing (or 1/10 of the exp you would have gotten). This will make it a real pain in the ass to derank and make it easier to catch and punish derankers. It will also give people the opportunity to continue playing people of similar skill level, while providing an incentive to win.

Also, both truskill and exp (in both systems) should be on an individual basis only, so you don't get boosters (which would be hard to do but still possible).

• Like 4