What does everyone think of the new Forge map sizes?

Archangel Tyrael

106 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Forge map sizeS?

• Great
    • Okay
    • Horrible

The maps arent big but they arent small, in reach's forge it was one huge land mass area in 4 there's 3 different types, granted itll limit the ability to forge something huge and unexpected but at least you can still work around and kinda improvise with the space given. On Ravine however i wish you could go out farther like closer to those 2 islands. that wouldnt be too bad.

My vote was for "okay".

Personally I prefer to make small to medium sized team based slayer or objective themed maps. So most of the maps are perfect for me as I have plenty of freedom to work away from already defined regions of the maps.

However I do occasionally build BTB maps, and it seems that most of the areas to build a larger scale map are quite limited or already defined. My best guess is making a larger scale map that is unique is going to be more of a challenge.

Though I can't say for sure, as I have not played the game yet. I would also like to note the POV of the fly-through video does not precisely exhibit to us the full extent of these map's boundaries.

-EDIT- And another thing. Really BIG maps tend to be really BAD maps. (In my opinion. But who cares about that, right?)

-EDIT- And another thing. Really BIG maps tend to be really BAD maps. (In my opinion. But who cares about that, right?)

This depends on how committed, creative, and detailed you are. Most big maps are bad because they are empty. That's why I feel such a need for better object limits.

• 2 weeks later...

It's cool that they have 3 variants now, but there isn't really one that's huge like Forge World was in Halo Reach. I could see how some Race Map people won't be as happy. I haven't actually gone in and looked at Forge yet, but I did just watch the video and there just doesn't seem to be the variety of land like you got on Reach. I'm sure with the three of them though there will be plenty of fun/cool things to do.

I agree with Ducain 23 on some points. For example they are not small maps. However i DISAGREE with the statement that we can build what ever we want on these maps. WE CAN'T! I was thinking of doing a sandtrap remake (like others ive heard of) but now i know that this is completely out of the question. Some people are saying that we have been given colosseum walls which we can use for floors. NO! I for one dont want to use half of a map for sandtrap and then have to build the rest on walls. It would look rubbish! The people at 343 have not given us canvases to make maps on, they've given us maps to ADD to!

Great point.

343 doesn't want us to have a map the size of forge world, or any canvas-type of map. Would it have been difficult for them to create a map with a large, grassy plain next to a river? Maybe a mountain covered in snow? Certainly not. They know maps like that would be heaven for forgers, but why didn't they make them? Thats a question I'd prefer to have answered by any 343 staff. Maybe because it'd encourage players to forge on these medium sized maps..don't know. They messed up by not adding a forge world sized map on release - because if they do release it as DLC, 2 things could happen:

1. Forge community will rage

2. Many people won't want to/can't buy the DLC and would be left out

If they do release a forge-world sized map as DLC, they'd make some good income. Maybe that was their intention.

The maps are gorgeous. Yet they are unacceptably small and restricted. I want to be able to forge on anything I see on all the maps. I don't want to look at an awesome canyon full of water. I want to make an underwater base there. I don't want kill boundaries anywhere... I want to go to all those spots with awesome potential. Erosion? Hell, I want to be able to go up above ground too. I want more space and more access to cool areas.

I enjoy the maps we have now, but I really liked forge world better. It's not that I want the map to be huge and sprawling so I can use every inch of it, but that we liked having the choice of location in our maps. That was the beauty of forge world, no two maps were the same because it has this huge spread out space, full of variety. You could pick a spot that looked good and just start building there.

IMO the new maps don't present that. You have this medium space to forge in, with only two or three different areas to choose from for your map. What? Didn't forge world have like thirty unique areas to build in? Let's count them.

Ravine:

-Grassy plateau area

-The forunner structure

-The cliff side

Erosion:

-Cave

-Grifball arena

-More cave

Impact:

-Asteroid 1

-Asteroid 2

-Open space

Forge World:

-Blood Gulch

-The beach at the end of Blood Gulch

-The clearing at the other end

-The cave

-The Alaska plateau

-The Montana plateau

-The canyon between Alaska and Montana

-The shoreline beach area

-Paradiso island

-Anywhere with water

-Under the water

-Up in the air (open space)

-There are about 12 different cliff faces to build on and near

-The alcove area to the left of the island under the cliffs

-The Coliseum

-Above the Coliseum

-The Ascension sea spire

See what I'm saying? While FW doesn't have drastically different setting throughout, it includes LOTS of options for map variety, something 4s maps lack. I can see custom games getting real boring once we all find out that our maps all look the same.

• Like 1

I enjoy the maps we have now, but I really liked forge world better. It's not that I want the map to be huge and sprawling so I can use every inch of it, but that we liked having the choice of location in our maps. That was the beauty of forge world, no two maps were the same because it has this huge spread out space, full of variety. You could pick a spot that looked good and just start building there.

IMO the new maps don't present that. You have this medium space to forge in, with only two or three different areas to choose from for your map. What? Didn't forge world have like thirty unique areas to build in? Let's count them.

Ravine:

-Grassy plateau area

-The forunner structure

-The cliff side

Erosion:

-Cave

-Grifball arena

-More cave

Impact:

-Asteroid 1

-Asteroid 2

-Open space

Forge World:

-Blood Gulch

-The beach at the end of Blood Gulch

-The clearing at the other end

-The cave

-The Alaska plateau

-The Montana plateau

-The canyon between Alaska and Montana

-The shoreline beach area

-Paradiso island

-Anywhere with water

-Under the water

-Up in the air (open space)

-There are about 12 different cliff faces to build on and near

-The alcove area to the left of the island under the cliffs

-The Coliseum

-Above the Coliseum

-The Ascension sea spire

See what I'm saying? While FW doesn't have drastically different setting throughout, it includes LOTS of options for map variety, something 4s maps lack. I can see custom games getting real boring once we all find out that our maps all look the same.

Finally someone that has understood what I said before. I pretty much said the same thing. But instead of anyone paying so much of an ounce of attention to it, they continued to argue that little maps are better. Oh well.... *sigh* :(

I am satisfied by what we are given to forge. I think the three forge maps give us enough varying terrain and overall room to create what ideas we may have in mind for battlefield. I'm not much for those extravagant maps that span the entire forge world, so I think 343i did well to break it down into three different ones.

The map sizes are fine, what's wrong with them are the restrictions. Kill-barriers you can't remove and invisible walls that taunt you. I can literally recall instances where I tried to jump on a ledge 4 feet away only to smack into a stupid invisible wall and fall to my death. Very poor level design in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everone here who wants bigger maps, but the ones we have are definitely great as they are (my one complaint regarding impact being that it has any land at all; I want a map like impact eith no land whatsoever to be the go-to canvas for building free-standing maps).

The old Forge World was awesome but impractical and unnecessarily large, and while I'm all for having more Forge maps big and small to work with, something the size of Forge World isn't going to happen in Halo 4 (system limitations). So by all means 343i, bring on as big a map as you can (if you haven't already), and give us as much to work with as possible. These 3 maps are a good start, but I think we'd all like to see more.